IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally had a chance to watch Joy's wedding episode last night.  I am unsure if this was the most boring wedding episode out of them all so far, or if it is just that we have seen 4 Duggar weddings somewhat close together now and it has just been beat to death. It was somewhat painful to watch at times. In comparison to Jinger & Jeremy's wedding, it was obvious that Joy & Austin are just too young. I felt like they should have been going to prom together and not their wedding. They looked very much like a high school couple who are still in that cute giggly/hand holding stage.  Made me wonder how it will after a few more years when the reality of it all sinks in.....

I wonder who will have more kids, Jessa or Joy? Joy has age on her side but Jessa strikes me as somebody who would want a large family even if she wasn't a Duggar. I know she seems kind of closed off and cold, but so am I but I'm obsessed with my kids and I would have 10 if I could. Joy strikes me as the type who would have three little cuties and be done if she wasn't a Duggar.

It will interesting to see how many kids Joy ends up having. Giving her position in the family (born right before 6 boys) and preatty much being raised by Jill. Austin do to the fact that he only has 1 sibling may not want to have a ton of kids. 

10 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

Is it a Southern thing that it's okay to go barefoot? Is it something young people do until they grow out of it, or is it a thing that people of all ages do?

Well I don't want to speak for the whole country lol but I live in southern Ohio which is not the south but there are a lot of southerners and depending on the area be very rural. I mean I walk my dog barefooted, I don't wear shoes in the house ever, and at a wedding if it wasn't super fancy after formalities and a couple of glasses of wine my shoes are going to be under my chair and I'll be in the dance floor. I wash my feet when they are dirty and always before bed.  That said I'd NEVER go to the store without shoes on or let my kids not have shoes in in the store past the age of 2. I do see it around here sometimes though but not very often adults. 

I think you said your from Canada, I'm sure just like here there are regional differences that are just hard to explain. Also I think socioeconomic structure plays a part too. When I nannied for the "richer" families their kids ALWAYS had shoes on and they always matched their outfit. Which meant a 4 month old baby could have 10-15 pairs of shoes.

Side note * I can't figure out why anyone would spend money on shoes for babies though. They can't even walk just throw some socks on there if it's cold out (unless it's like January blizzard levels then boots I understand). Plus it's not even good for their development. *End side note.

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Side note * I can't figure out why anyone would spend money on shoes for babies though. They can't even walk just throw some socks on there if it's cold out (unless it's like January blizzard levels then boots I understand). Plus it's not even good for their development. *End side note.

Ugh, I get so much shit from my family about not having shoes for my infants. I just have them in socks if it's cold (and out doesn't get very cold in SoCal), and even then my family gets pissed. Shoes are so expensive though, and they outgrow them so quick. I was not expecting baby shoes to cost like $20 for a cheap pair that they outgrow very quickly. And they NEVER stay on and my babies end up barefoot anyway, same with socks. I only start putting shoes on them regularly when they start walking. Otherwise, I see no point for me to spend my money on that, when I can spend it on more useful things like diapers, wipes, etc. 

12 hours ago, adidas said:

BCF if you're in Australia.

They're also excellent for snorkeling. I try never to touch coral or the reef when I'm in the water, but in some places (Vanuatu, Fiji) you have to get past all the dead reef :( before you see anything. These shoes stop injuries if you need to put your feet on dead coral, which slices your feet up really badly. 

I'm guessing slice injuries are extra bad if you're in the sea off Australia! You're very brave. I know sharks get terrible press, but I'm in no hurry to meet one in his home.

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

It will interesting to see how many kids Joy ends up having. Giving her position in the family (born right before 6 boys) and preatty much being raised by Jill. Austin do to the fact that he only has 1 sibling may not want to have a ton of kids. 

I feel like Joy will have the most babies. She's eager to please her parents and her beliefs, which will result in a quick succession of kiddos. She's also the youngest to marry, giving her ample time. Austin seems pretty nice and definitely into Joy, which is good, but as fundie as they come. I bet they will have ten + 

Joy never had to sister-mom like the older Duggar daughters did - maybe a little bit after Jill moved out, but she never had to sleep with a toddler that was wetting the bed etc, and she was second in command rather than leader of a buddy team - so I would bet that she has a different opinion of huge families, as she got to hide under the radar due to her age, as well as skip responsibilities. 

I'd bet the younger Lost Boys and all three Lost Girls will feel differently too, having been raised by their older sisters, and been so young when their sister-moms left (I think of how Jordyn and Jenni cried at their sister-moms' weddings, way beyond just an "I'll be sad you're moving away", just heart-breaking) and being seen as one of a crowd by their birth-parents.... until suddenly they have to be "young ladies" - like Johannah not being allowed to play with her brothers any more. 

I reckon Joy probably had the best deal of the Duggar sisters, so is more likely to go Quiverfull if she can/doesn't have problems.  I really, *really* hope, if she does have kids, she gets proper medical care, because I can also see her out of all her sisters deciding to have just Jill (her mum) attending a theoretical birth....

I'm one of eight.. I don't want more then 2/3. My friend who is one of two.. Her sister and she are both aiming for four kids. She hates being one of two. You can't look at Austin and be like.. Well he isn't going to want lots because he only has one sibling. He may strongly dislike only having one sibling. While I hated being one of a large family. Everyone seems to expect me to have lots   because I'm from a big family. NOOOO!

45 minutes ago, CrazyMumma said:

I'm one of eight.. I don't want more then 2/3. My friend who is one of two.. Her sister and she are both aiming for four kids. She hates being one of two. You can't look at Austin and be like.. Well he isn't going to want lots because he only has one sibling. He may strongly dislike only having one sibling. While I hated being one of a large family. Everyone seems to expect me to have lots   because I'm from a big family.

I totally get that. I only have 1 sister she is more then enough. If I ever have kids unlikely as of right now. I would only want 2. 

Jesus, as a Jew, would have bathed.  Not like us, but more then the general population at the time.  @amandaaries explains it better than I.

All caught up on the wedding episode.

I’m sad that my favorite Duggar has been married off. but at least she has known him for a long time.  She seams happy.  I hope they continue to do things their own way.  I liked how assertive she was when coming down the stairs wanting to be on time.  No Boob you do not have 15 minuets you asshat.

Ah Jenny.  You break my heart.

John D: 'Batchelor till the rapture’ LMAO; what the fuck was he doing during the singing?  He looked like he was swatting flies. 

Straw and glitter on the floor, I hope Miss Cindy and them cleaned all that up.  Can you imagine the carpet? 

I think its sweet that they let Joe and Kendra be part of the reception.  At least they waited until after. 

Did ya all see Derick with a haircut?

5 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

I'm guessing slice injuries are extra bad if you're in the sea off Australia! You're very brave. I know sharks get terrible press, but I'm in no hurry to meet one in his home.

Haha yeah, I don't like the idea of bleeding in australian waters at all. But apparently peeing in the water is a bigger danger than bleeding. Lots of surfers admit that just before they were attacked by a shark, they had done a pee  

I've never seen a shark in australian waters, but I've seen plenty elsewhere. I'm not terribly worried by them because they've always been so relaxed when I've seen them. But I've only seen small sharks (none more than 6 feet long). Except maybe the time I found 3 great whites hanging out in a cave - I couldn't judge their size but I think they were bigger than the others I've seen. They didn't see me so I didn't feel worried, but I made sure I stayed in a spot that they wouldn't be able to get to me. I usually swim away calmly (without splashing too much) if they're within a couple of metres of me, but once I felt something flapping at my foot and saw 3 babies! It was so cool.

I am much more wary of australian sharks. I hope I don't ever see one here. I suspect I came close once, judging by the behaviour of the fish around me. I got the hell outta there VERY quickly. 

I wish I knew how to upload photos and videos, I could share the pics and clips I have. 

Reef shoes are also brilliant when swimming in rivers and farm dams where you've got no idea what you're swimming with. We get them from Big W or Kmart though. BCF charge more for the same shoe. 

Amused by the conversation about sharks. I grew up near the beach and spent a lot of time swimming, surfing and kayaking. I've seen sharks plenty of times, mostly Wobbegongs and Port Jacksons, but once a Great White. I was in a kayak. Dad called out to stop so I didn't hit it with my paddle. It just swam under our boats and continue on. Very cool! The worst injuries I've ever had came from having to walk across a rock shelf covered in oysters when I got caught by a tide change. They cut my feet to pieces! I really wish reef shoes had existed back then. 

Back to Joy, my son is six months older than Joy. (Physically. Mentally he has about ten years on her!) He has a beautiful girlfriend who we just adore. He recently said to me, 'Mum, I hope you're not expecting me to get married or have kids anytime soon. I'm going to finish my apprenticeship, then we're going to travel the world before we settle down.' I wish Joy and Austin were able to say the same thing. 

6 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

And don't forget Sierra, who's on baby #6, is Joy's "best friend". 

Hm, and here I thought Austin was her best friend now.  

And now Sierra is part of JESSA'S "tribe" with the Taco girl. Obviously, that friendship only blossomed after the marriage to Ben, because she didn't stand up as a bridesmaid, instead deciding to green-light serving ice cream in a parking lot on a 40 degree day in November. Jessa could have hired a real wedding planner, or at least Cindy, since that seems to be her profession. 

I think at that point, Sierra was more sucking up to the Duggars in general. The friendships came after Jessa's wedding. 

On 6/13/2017 at 7:19 AM, PVMom said:

I didn't feel like Jimbob was attention seeking, maybe it's the editing.    Last night I thought he was really sweet and watching Joy with him, was genuine. 

I think this is the first child-child getting married in his eyes.  The older 4 girls were the sister-moms and more like employees than daughters.  But Joy is just daughter-daughter.  And because she's been a daughter-daughter, giving her away (I hate that phrase) probably hit him different.  When the olders got married, he "lost" household help.  When Joy got married, he lost a...almost like a granddaughter since she was being raised by one of his daughter-employees.

And since she had a couple moms and a dad, I doubt she really has had much chance to learn how to be assertive instead of being bossy, and yes, different things!  And decisions were made for her, and suddenly she's allowed to make them for herself in a single swift day.  Now that she's out from under her dad's thumb, she can start to grow up.  And how weird it is to say that when she's already married.  She had to get married to be allowed to grow up.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, Joyfully Available said:

I've heard dirty bare feet called a lot of things in different regions. Haha! Southern area here... back in the day little kids would come in the grocery store with parents during the summer barefoot & their feet would be even dirtier after running through the Piggly Wiggly. Basically dirty black feet from going barefoot everywhere all the time. 

My southern grandmother on my mother's side had a different word for those feet.  N..... feet.  Yeah.  Even as a kid, I was very uncomfortable with that because of her tone that was both casual to the point that she didn't think anything of using the word and still made it clear that she didn't think black people were people (which she really didn't).  My mother's father's side has Native American, and called those dirty feet Indian feet.  Since I'm pasty-ass white and am not sure I wasn't switched at birth, I just call them dirty.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:39 PM, ja14 said:

I have been rooting for Joy & Austin, despite her age, but I hate how much she's making her opinion about what Austin will like. 

It's like this.

Spoiler

On 6/14/2017 at 9:23 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Washing extremities was common but to actually bathe, no. I could go on for days and days about hygiene in our history, Hygiene as we know it is NOT how it has been practiced throughout history. It wasn't until the invention of our modern plumbing  and running water along with electricity, that we would eventually start to bathe on the regular.  Only in the last 70 or so years have humans started to bathe on a regular basis.. 

When clean water wasn't so easy to come by, it was needed to drink more than bathe.  I read something about a process of scrubbing with dry linen cloth being more common, then airing out the cloth.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:38 AM, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Weren't rainboots invented for the sole purpose of keeping your feet and lower part of your pants dry when it rains??? Why would you go barefoot!

Because rainboots don't go over regular shoes and aren't comfortable to wear inside for long?

On 6/15/2017 at 8:04 AM, VeganCupcake said:

It's insane to expect a fucking TEENAGER to choose their permanent life partner.  

So many teenagers aren't even sure yet what they want to do for careers when they grow up.  This is why it bothers me that kids right out of high school are expected to make major life decisions before getting to experience being an adult and growing up more.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:48 AM, evolutionbaby said:

We would be sent home if we tried to go to school without shoes, without question. Likewise, no one goes into stores without proper footwear either.

Is it a Southern thing that it's okay to go barefoot? Is it something young people do until they grow out of it, or is it a thing that people of all ages do?

That's all I've ever known.  Shoes required in stores, restaurants, and schools, including colleges.  It's a safety and sanitation thing. 

18 hours ago, Jessie E said:

Made me wonder how it will after a few more years when the reality of it all sinks in.....

They'll adjust. Young marriages are not ideal but they are not uncommon in the south and especially not uncommon for the super religious. They will likely never divorce and will have a large family.

Joy has always struck me as a country gal who wants the simple life. Her and Austin will make money working at the Family Camp and flipping houses. She'll likely be a decent mother. 

I don't worry about them because they seem suited for their life. And while yes, the teenage love fades and they may even dislike each other at times. They are surrounded by lots of longterm, successful marriages who are examples to them.

I'm more worried about how their children will be raised and what opportunities they will have. Compare to other fundie children, the Duggar kids have lived great lives. When the gravy train stops, it'll be a lot harder to feed 20 mouths. 

My father had just turned 20; my mother was still 19 when they married.. and were married 63 years.. so young marriages can work out..

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

My father had just turned 20; my mother was still 19 when they married.. and were married 63 years.. so young marriages can work out..

They do I have 2 good friends who married their HS sweethearts they both started dating their now hubbys when they were 15. 1 has been together for 31 years (married for 20) the other 23 years and married 18 years.  I know lots of couples I went to school with that married and are still together 30 years later.  They can work, I know some marriages that stated with less than what Jostin have, and have lasted for over 40 years.  

I have two good friends who were high school sweethearts, married after each of them finished their first university degrees. They'll be married 7 years this summer. It can work out. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived