IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

That dress in the window with the sheer back probably would've looked fantastic on Joy. I'm probably in the minority but Joy's dress is actually my least favorite of the sisters so far.

I agree - it looked better in the photos than it did on television. Frumpy. Just like her mother's Jill's.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

That dress in the window with the sheer back probably would've looked fantastic on Joy. I'm probably in the minority but Joy's dress is actually my least favorite of the sisters so far.

Hodge-podge dresses are HARD to make work because you're jamming together bits and pieces that were never designed to go together.  It's nearly impossible to make them work well in a short span of time.  Joy's dress looked exactly how I would expect a patchwork dress completed in a matter of weeks to look.  And that's...not the best.  

It's typical Duggar schtick: instead of TAKING THE TIME to do something RIGHT, including the time and expense needed, they rush and cheap out and cut every corner.  That doesn't give you good results, and I think many of the wedding dresses that were slapped together show that.  

Did anyone find it weird that Joy said they wouldn't be able to stay very long at their own wedding reception?! Where did they have to go?....

10 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I totally missed that @jillymuffin. I wonder if they did their pre-honeymoon somewhere else? Or just finally wanted actual alone time?

my guess is actual alone time,  what 19 year old doesn't want to be alone with her boyfriend husband?

Guys, I just watched the wedding video and I'm completely taken aback! 

1) Such good filming. It was so lively, no stupid talking heads, actual sincerity, seems like I was live at the event and not the weirdly staged stuff that usually goes on. 

2) Joy and Austin are actually so cute together. The way they were whispering to each other, how Austin seemed kind of awkward trying to hold it all in but was also quite funny all the way through. 

3) Joy is now my favorite Duggar. So chill, so not-fake, so incredibly authentic and real. The wedding was short and sweet, totally felt like them, and didn't seem made for the cameras at all. 

4) Against all expectations, Joe's proposal to Kendra seemed really short and sweet, very low-key. Didn't seem to distract from the wedding at all actually. I also loved to see the hug between Joe and Joy. They must be really close. And Kendra seems like a nice one, too. 

5) Michelle and Jim Bob (apart from their frequent repetition of Duggarisms) seemed actually genuine and invested and caring. Very different from the usual episodes. 

Tl;dr: The wedding was beautiful. 

Joy has always been my favorite Duggar. I really loved it when she started herding everyone downstairs - she was not having a Duggar Time wedding!

I'm currently in WA and tried to record it last night. TLC apparently blocked it out somehow. Per TiVo, 9-12 pm on TLC-W (both SD and HD) ended up reporting as "TLC Programming" with a "blackout" setting. It was really odd. All I could see was a white screen.

If anyone else is still having trouble, I was able to get both episodes on the free TLC app.

@Nikedagain?,  I used to go to class sometimes 40 years ago at UGA.  Athens, Georgia must be one of the rainiest places on the planet and I'd shuck my sneakers or sandals and walked barefoot to class because my unshod feet would dry off more easily than drenched shoes. I also rolled up my pants when it rained if I wasn't wearing shorts.

5 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

I like this dress on Joy better than the one she picked out

Joy looks lovely. I liked her actual dress well enough, but this one seems more "her." And definitely more appropriate to the season. I'm a little further south than Arkansas and the weather has been disgusting for a couple weeks now.

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I also rolled up my pants when it rained if I wasn't wearing shorts.

Nike!

4 hours ago, jillymuffin said:

Did anyone find it weird that Joy said they wouldn't be able to stay very long at their own wedding reception?! Where did they have to go?....

To consummate the marriage, of course! The holy arrow production factory clock is ticking. From the moment of that first kiss, Joy and Austin are on the clock, and there's no punching out until menopause. At 19, Joy can be the #1 babymaker of the next generation Duggars. More babies for Jesus!

I have been rooting for Joy & Austin, despite her age, but I hate how much she's making her opinion about what Austin will like. 

There was one guy in my major in college who didn't wear shoes to class (weather permitting), and I just thought it was the most twee hipster thing. Maybe because he was otherwise well put together and trend savvy. This was around 2010.

Like, I'm pretty crunchy and have my shoes off a lot, including in class/at work/wherever, but there was something about having serious discussions and taking criticism from that guy that just drove me nuts.

I haven't watched Joy's wedding episode yet but so far everything about it seems pretty dispassionate. Maybe the Duggars are just used to weddings, or I'm just used to Duggar weddings. Jury is still out on Austin, although I suspect this couple will be the most by-the-book duplicate of their parents' families so far.

11 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Well, not to offend anyone but I'm pretty sure he smelled like shit. I don't think showers were a thing thousands of years ago.

Maybe not showers, but ritual cleansing and bathing have long been a part of the Jewish tradition.  During the plague in the Middle Ages, the ghetto communities (where the Jews lived, due to segregated housing laws) had a lower incidence of the Black Plague.  People now think this is due to the frequent hand washing and other cleanliness measures demanded by the Torah. This includes the mikvah of ritual immersion in water with the morning prayers on a daily basis. Jesus was raised knowing about the virtues and benefits of regular cleaning with water.  If Jesus spoke out against bathing, please let me know; otherwise, I think we can be sure that even if he smelled (Israel is HOT! Sweating is a normal response*), he likely bathed on a regular basis. 

http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-2909/hasidic-life-today/

http://www.aish.com/jl/jewish-law/daily-living/29-Hygiene.html

*for humans.  I have no idea how sweating would have worked out for Jesus, son of God and Mary, born miraculously without original sin so that she could be the vessel for God's baby (at least, according to some lore).

40 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Sweating is a normal response), he likely bathed on a regular basis. 

Washing extremities was common but to actually bathe, no. I could go on for days and days about hygiene in our history, Hygiene as we know it is NOT how it has been practiced throughout history. It wasn't until the invention of our modern plumbing  and running water along with electricity, that we would eventually start to bathe on the regular.  Only in the last 70 or so years have humans started to bathe on a regular basis.. 

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I saw people wearing pajamas to class in college, but bare feet is a new one. Ick.

My daughter goes to college in Oregon.  It rains quite a lot over the winter.  Her freshman roommate dealt with the wet shoe problem by just not wearing shoes very often.  Sounds quite cold and a bit muddy to me, but I guess wet sneakers aren't really all that much more comfy.

The episode reminded me again that they are all so young and making these huge decisions because it is expected from them. Take all the glamour away and I see a 19-year-old kidult experiencing her first love and she thinks first love equals the one equals best friend forever equals match made in heaven.

This aroma of jebus stuff - I wonder if that lady may be synaesthetic that way?

I'm synaesthetic in a see colours and taste various different sounds and words way. I no longer have a sense of smell as such, due to brain injury, but there are a handful of things I have smell memory for. Makes you realise quite how weird and intense smell is. Perhaps that's how this lady genuinely experiences her divinity?

Weren't rainboots invented for the sole purpose of keeping your feet and lower part of your pants dry when it rains??? Why would you go barefoot!

They are in Switzerland for their honeymoon? Way to pick the most expensive holiday you can get I guess?! But it is beautiful. I visited a friend last year in Interlaken (where Joy and Austin are probably staying right now, they mentionned it in the video). I've also been to the US and I must say, why go as far as Switzerland when you can have the same scenery in the Rocky mountains? Venice, Rome, Paris, I understand, but leaving the country for... mountains, when you have EVERYTHING there? I loved the US, almost every landscape and climate zone is within the country. If I had grown up there I would not leave my country as frequently as I do now.

Jill Rodrigues said something a while back about wanting to be covered or bathed or something in the sweet aroma of Jesus. It was in her bedbug post, and she was at her limit just the way I like it.

I went and looked for the actual post but can't see it offhand. I may not be looking very hard, I have shit to do today and can't afford to sucked back into her travesty of a life right now.

I remember thinking, "Now Jesus is deodorant on top of everything else he has to do for you."

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

They are in Switzerland for their honeymoon? Way to pick the most expensive holiday you can get I guess?! But it is beautiful. I visited a friend last year in Interlaken (where Joy and Austin are probably staying right now, they mentionned it in the video). I've also been to the US and I must say, why go as far as Switzerland when you can have the same scenery in the Rocky mountains? Venice, Rome, Paris, I understand, but leaving the country for... mountains, when you have EVERYTHING there? I loved the US, almost every landscape and climate zone is within the country. If I had grown up there I would not leave my country as frequently as I do now.

I went to Australia to see the beaches and all the other outdoorsy stuff. We have a ton of beaches here. It's really not the same. The mountains in Vermont are not the same as the Scottish Highlands. It's hard to explain but I don't fault them for going to Switzerland even if we have Rocky Mountains. Plus it's a honeymoon, they probably wanted to get away as far as they could.

14 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Nikedagain?,  I used to go to class sometimes 40 years ago at UGA.  Athens, Georgia must be one of the rainiest places on the planet and I'd shuck my sneakers or sandals and walked barefoot to class because my unshod feet would dry off more easily than drenched shoes. I also rolled up my pants when it rained if I wasn't wearing shorts.

I used to do the same in Chapel Hill, both as a student and later as a staff member. I stopped going barefoot when I moved to Baltimore.

@BemusedByFundamentalism - Rain in the Southern US is often unpredictable. Torrential rains will pop up with only 10-15 minutes warning, and stop just as fast. On any given day from May-September, there's a 50/50 chance that it will rain. It's very easy to get caught in the rain without boots or other rain gear.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived