IGNORED

Anna's sister Esther

snickerz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, she has named her child after a pagan goddess? Fancy that.

No, she named her Reward after a Pagan Goddess.

"reward" is the term that is used in the bible. psalm 127, something like the biblical foundation of QF says:

Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. (KJV)

charis (or really Kharis) is also a pivotal concept in Ancient Hellenic religion. Yes, it means grace and a lot of Christians use it that way --in the sense of Charity, but we use is more as the cycle of devotional activity -- reciprocity. We devote to the gods, and in return they look kindly towards us.

Not just a pagan goddess, although Kharis is one of the Graces, married to Hephestos, but really a major concept in Hellenic religion, and because of that, Christianity.

That certainly explains a lot about Ann Coulter :shock:

:shock:

:lol: :shock: :o :lol:

Thank you for the funny!!!!!!

How is Charis pronounced? Is it like the ch in charity or chair? Or just a k sound? I kind of like the sound of Karis.

I really think I am on to something with the radiation attaching itself to my fat cells...I was pregnant and on the West Coast during the Chernobyl accident so I was naturally gaining weight. And since I never successfully lost all of it, I am now sure it was because of the radiation. It is not my fault! *does a little happy dance*

I like the name Charis, if it was pronounced "Shar-iss" or "Shair-iss."

Letgo, somebody earlier in the thread said it's supposed to be pronounced "HAR-iss." I think. Or something like that.

I think it's CARE-iss (rhymes with Paris). It's a HUGE improvement over their last girl, Agape.

How is Charis pronounced? Is it like the ch in charity or chair? Or just a k sound? I kind of like the sound of Karis.

I really think I am on to something with the radiation attaching itself to my fat cells...I was pregnant and on the West Coast during the Chernobyl accident so I was naturally gaining weight. And since I never successfully lost all of it, I am now sure it was because of the radiation. It is not my fault! *does a little happy dance*

My daughter's best friend is called Karis (spelled with the K and pronounced with the hard K). We also know a Charis which is pronounced the same way with a hard K sound.

I like the name Charis, if it was pronounced "Shar-iss" or "Shair-iss."

Letgo, somebody earlier in the thread said it's supposed to be pronounced "HAR-iss." I think. Or something like that.

Since we've seen the spelling Charis and Kharis, I was figuring it was the back-of-the-throat sound that comes up (you should pardon the expresssion! :lol: ) in German and Hebrew, but is not used in English (hence our difficulty spelling it).

Nuri, is that it?

I'm accustomed to the sound, having grown up with Hebrew and Yiddish, and sung in German. But it's not a sound I would want in my name, living in the US. Seems like it would lead to a life of hearing the name mispronounced, and/or getting spat on. :lol:

I've heard it said multiple ways --as a religious term, mostly CARE-riss, but I've heard it as a name multiple ways, depending on how people pronounce the ch sound and place emphasis.

Didn't Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones name their daughter Carys or Charis or some variation thereof? How very worldly of Esther and the hubs! I believe the light radiation from Japan has finally reached us here on the East Coast. In fact, the light radiation has kept me sitting at my computer, surfing the net while drinking mocha iced coffee, and totaly blowing off all the work I should be doing. Damn you, light radiation!

Since we've seen the spelling Charis and Kharis, I was figuring it was the back-of-the-throat sound that comes up (you should pardon the expresssion! :lol: ) in German and Hebrew, but is not used in English (hence our difficulty spelling it).

Nuri, is that it?

I'm accustomed to the sound, having grown up with Hebrew and Yiddish, and sung in German. But it's not a sound I would want in my name, living in the US. Seems like it would lead to a life of hearing the name mispronounced, and/or getting spat on. :lol:

That's the sound. It really isn't considered a nice sound in English, but I like the sound of it in Greek!

I know someone named Charissa pronounced Kuh-RISS-uh, so it could be Kuh-riss...

Edit: the "A" sound in Charis/Kharis should also sound more like "AH! A Monster!" than "Uh, I don't know"

Didn't Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones name their daughter Carys or Charis or some variation thereof? How very worldly of Esther and the hubs! I believe the light radiation from Japan has finally reached us here on the East Coast. In fact, the light radiation has kept me sitting at my computer, surfing the net while drinking mocha iced coffee, and totaly blowing off all the work I should be doing. Damn you, light radiation!

That's pronounced slightly different. Catherine Zeta-Jones is Welsh and the name Carys is Welsh for 'Love'.

When referring to the Greek goddess, I've always heard it pronounced with a 'K' sound (obviously not the real Greek pronunciation, but maybe it's the standard English form?). And I rather like the name with a K sound. But who knows how they'll be pronouncing it.

Archived