IGNORED

Maxwell 9: Woks and spices - what's next?

Coconut Flan

On 12 June 2017 at 4:08 AM, purjolok84 said:

OMG - cherry clafoutis! 

Those cherries were wasted on the Maxwells. Anyone who gets anxious over a gift of fruit is a little bit sad, in my opinion. The best thing when I get fresh fruit is planning what I'll do with it.

If someone gave me cherries I'd make cherry turnovers, jam, and cherry and cream cheese strudel. And of course keep fresh ones. Maybe freeze some for smoothies or slushies.

Isn't this stuff that the Maxwell females should have in mind anyway? Being 'future wives' and all? 

I forgot to say, I'd also make cherries preserved in rum, and try my hand at making cherry brandy. I doubt the Maxwells would do either (and they're missing out!) 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

I forgot to say, I'd also make cherries preserved in rum, and try my hand at making cherry brandy. I doubt the Maxwells would do either (and they're missing out!) 

We'd eat fresh cherries until the point of getting diarrhea, cherry clafoutis, home-made cherry ice cream, and if there were still some left over, dry them for cherry almond scones and granola.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:27 PM, Coconutwater said:

Eating on the porch is not a picnic and does not require planning. Jesus...I can't even with these people, all it takes is a "hey, do you want to eat outside?" I noticed Drew is in shorts, since when is that allowed? 

When I was a kid I spent all summer eating lunch on the porch. In fact, it was a 'rule'. My mom was a heathen and worked, so I spent summers being raised by a stranger babysat by our neighbor. She also raised babysat several other children of heathen working women during the summer. She had the littles ones inside for lunch every day while everyone over the age of probably 6 or 7 ate on the porch.

By the time I was 10 and became a latch key kid, completely neglected and unloved by my still working single mother, my bff, my sister & her bff - - all of whom were also latch key kids raised by heathen working mothers - - continued the tradition. We switched porches, and my sister's bff had a back patio where we ate instead of their porch, but the premise was the same.

We didn't need a schedule or yearly book reading or anything. 

These people seriously scare me when they talk about shit like this as though it is something amazingng/spectacular/magic created by a schedule.

This weekend I will be with the grandchildren.  I have neither schedule nor plan.  However, I'm taking supplies to make a Father's Day card if the kids want to do so and I'll be offering to sit on one of the nights so they can do an early anniversary dinner if the parents so wish.  If the parents do, the kids and I might have dinner on the patio.  All is subject to change! The only time limits may be how long the kids watch videos on my phone. 

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

We'd eat fresh cherries until the point of getting diarrhea, cherry clafoutis, home-made cherry ice cream, and if there were still some left over, dry them for cherry almond scones and granola.

I love food talk. May I add a few British favourites - cherry crumble and the ultimate, a cherry bakewell.

1 hour ago, Darwinesque said:

I love food talk. May I add a few British favourites - cherry crumble and the ultimate, a cherry bakewell.

I had to look up the latter and now, OMG, must make one! They had me at frangipane.

Oooh that Debt-Free series burns my biscuits. "My friends helped me with this, my family laid flooring while I was on vacation, my church did this, my grandfather did that, neighbors helped with this..." But we are really to believe that the average person without all these amazingly helpful friends, family and church members can on their own buy property and houses debt-free as 20-somethings. It's ridiculous. At the end of the latest one, "Amos" says as his advice "don't do expensive hobbies like flying planes and use computers for tools." Wtf?  Are these people so out of touch with reality that they think we can't afford houses because of the shiny airplanes we own? I can't even. 

Some rich guy (not a fundie) said young people can't afford a deposit on their first home nowadays because of all the avocado toast they eat.

Because we all know all if you manage to quit that dirty, dirty avocado habit, you'd get your own house within a few weeks. 

There is some serious generational / class barriers of mutual incomprehension that some people just don't want to bridge.

Over here I blame it on the baby boomers having had a pretty good life, on the whole, and them ascribing it to their own hard work  and merit rather than to having been born in a large cohort at a war-free time and having been economically active at a time when the economy was booming, ie pure blind luck.

With fundies I'm just blaming it on their stupidity.

7 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

There is some serious generational / class barriers of mutual incomprehension that some people just don't want to bridge.

Honestly it just strikes me as poor-shaming. The message is "You could have nice things if you wanted them badly enough." Fuck you, Steve Maxwell. You have no concept of other people's lives so please stop commenting about it. 

Man, I couldn't stop rolling my eyes through that thing. Then those passed along testimonies at the end. Yeah, I imagine there are more details involved that they aren't saying. Steve is a fucking dick and so are his followers. 

Amos owes to pay back those friends and family who helped him build his house, when they build their own houses. He doesn't owe money but does owe labor and time. He is not debt free.

3 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Some rich guy (not a fundie) said young people can't afford a deposit on their first home nowadays because of all the avocado toast they eat.

Because we all know all if you manage to quit that dirty, dirty avocado habit, you'd get your own house within a few weeks. 

Over here I blame it on the baby boomers having had a pretty good life, on the whole, and them ascribing it to their own hard work  and merit rather than to having been born in a large cohort at a war-free time and having been economically active at a time when the economy was booming, ie pure blind luck.

With fundies I'm just blaming it on their stupidity.

Oh please, lift up your brush before you paint this boomer with it! :content: Many of us are well aware that our children's generations aren't going to get "at least as much as their old man got", to quote the problematic prophet Billy Joel.  

I've always been well aware how lucky I was to be born when I was. A few years earlier and I would've missed the second wave of feminism, a few years later and I might not have appreciated feminism! And that's just one of many "lucks" I count.

i am in awe of younger adults who are doing the tiny house/small-or-no-mortgage, and of those choosing to follow their dream while they're young. My generation knew [sic] that if we plodded along, there'd be a pension at the end of a job, stultifying though it might be, and we crossed every available digit that we'd live enough healthy years after retirement to enjoy life.  

These generations face a whole different reality and I see many many of them planning realistically to that reality. 

I admire all my JuniorJBs in their journeys to date, and their friends, too!

4 hours ago, Foudeb said:

It's more a matter of having been born to parents of the so-called "Greatest Generation" who were able to prosper in a post-war economy and pass their wealth on to their boomer children.

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Man, I couldn't stop rolling my eyes through that thing. Then those passed along testimonies at the end. Yeah, I imagine there are more details involved that they aren't saying. Steve is a fucking dick and so are his followers. 

I know! I think I still have a headache from the eye rolling. I think it's a fake story, too. Airplanes aren't good hobbies & computers are for work not toys??? Aside feom the appalling writen and inabilitybti 'tell' a story...the entire thong has Steve written all over it. Inly he would boast about some poor sap never having a job morebthan a couple years & always liw paying ones as if it were something to strive for.

11 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I know! I think I still have a headache from the eye rolling. I think it's a fake story, too. Airplanes aren't good hobbies & computers are for work not toys??? Aside feom the appalling writen and inabilitybti 'tell' a story...the entire thong has Steve written all over it. Inly he would boast about some poor sap never having a job morebthan a couple years & always liw paying ones as if it were something to strive for.

Steve used to fly planes for a hobby and he uses the line about computers are a tool* in his "Preparing Sons" book. Either Amos is a total Maxwell groupie who likes to quote Steve chapter and verse, or else Steve wrote that stuff himself.

*Doug Phillips is a tool. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

His family did pretty much everything for him. He was given a ton of stuff pretty much free. That is not how it is for the vast majority of people. Steve talks such horseshit. 

3 hours ago, Hane said:

Fellow boomer here giving a standing O and a slow clap to @MamaJunebug

Aw, thanks, sister boomer! Sending an arthritis-creaky high five! :ok:

Reminds me of a recent news article trending about a woman who paid off her very high figure student loan within a few years. Of course, it turned out she was able to do that because IIRC her parents gave her a condo, which she then rented out for extra money to pay down debt while living with her grandmother rent-free. So yeah....so easy! Anyone could do it!! :-/

OH and I think her first job out of college was Manager or director level thanks to working at mom's biz. But sure, there's no such think as privilege and she got no help... [emoji21]

Steve's newest article. What is he talking about?  Gold-money-time, yeah it really connects. If I want to work that hard at making sense of it.

Also, does anyone know why the days are so "evil?"  I heard that a lot in my childhood church and the Maxwells quote it frequently. Is it along the lines of "idle hands are the devil's tools?" Not a direct quote but , you know..... Never understood it.  Maxwells are SO worried lest they "waste" one minute of the day doing something fun. Even picnics on their porch and ice cream parties have an air of grim determination about them.

To me their lives are many times a series of unforunate events and I can't look away.   (OK, I'll take my cheesy self  right over tohe big tv screen--episode 9 of Orange is new Black.)

They probably justify the picnics and ice cream parties as being Godly in some way. The picnics involve spending time with the grandchildren, which is important because you must invest in your childrens' and grandchildrens' lives; the neighbours thing- love thy neighbour. They're portraying themselves as kind people who do nice things for others.

My guess is that the Maxwells would probably be model neighbors. You know their house would be well kept, lawn mowed and there would never be loud parties. The neighbors may see them as a little odd but harmless. I doubt Steve is out preaching to the neighbors and trying to change them. The others in the neighborhood are probably more like FJ, a little bit of everything. Steve may know to how to pick his battles and pissing off the neighborhood is not a good idea. Besides, it's likely most people only know them to wave a hello likes many of us do. It could be that the neighbors moving away were the type to keep an eye on the Maxwells house when they used to be on the road so they were ok in Steve's eyes. 

As to the debt-free house guy, I want to know how much money he actually put in because it seems like everyone else gave him materials, land and labor. He may have spent enough to buy paint and a used door. 

9 hours ago, socalrules said:

As to the debt-free house guy, I want to know how much money he actually put in because it seems like everyone else gave him materials, land and labor. He may have spent enough to buy paint and a used door. 

Yes, Amos's story seems to be much more about luck and wonderful family and friends than how to live debt-free. Do the Maxwell's think readers can't see that?

I'm sure to the Maxwells luck had nothing to do with it. It's about the Lord rewarding Amos's faithfulness by having people give him stuff. Amos prayed, God answered the prayers via people Amos knows. Truly, what an inspiring story of a faithful servant. Pray and God will make sure you have all you need to live debt free too.

53 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Yes, Amos's story seems to be much more about luck and wonderful family and friends than how to live debt-free. Do the Maxwell's think readers can't see that?

I would not be surprised if they do and the Maxwells just aren't posting those comments. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived