IGNORED

Maxwell 9: Woks and spices - what's next?

Coconut Flan

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, SuchABlessing said:

Again, the Maxwells remind me of when I worked in retail on slow days. I would divide up the day into 15 minute increments doing odd jobs and stuff just to make the time go by faster and feel productive when there was absolutely nothing productive to do

Shoot, I used to hunker down in the shoe stockroom.  Any time the store was slow, busy, pre-holiday, after holiday, pre-sale, post sale...That place was enormous.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:13 AM, socalrules said:

Freshly baked cookies don't last that long in my house. If they have a cookie, does that mean they don't get two animal crackers? Are they not allowed to snack?

Seems like they're bloody lucky to eat much at all, meals, snacks, trips to DQ for kiddie-sized cones.  I'd have a full mutiny here if I tried restricting the comestibles.

6 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Sorry, newer follower of Maxhell, why is Teri called Griselda?

I call Teri Griselda because she suffered from depression for about 12 years.   When Eleanor Roosevelt suffered from brief bouts of depression she called them her Griselda moods.  Instead of going to a real MD Teri prayed and used progesterone cream.  Steve also thought they should have more kids during this time so he had his vasectomy reversed and she had 5 more kids.  

18 hours ago, HereticHick said:

What brand of inside-the-refrigerator polish should I use? Asking for a friend.

We can only hope an Amazon affiliate link will be provided.

On 6/18/2017 at 6:21 AM, SPHASH said:

I call Teri Griselda because she suffered from depression for about 12 years.   When Eleanor Roosevelt suffered from brief bouts of depression she called them her Griselda moods.  Instead of going to a real MD Teri prayed and used progesterone cream.  Steve also thought they should have more kids during this time so he had his vasectomy reversed and she had 5 more kids.  

Oh wow, I had thought "Griselda" was a Canterbury Tales  reference to "patient Griselda" who submitted to a bunch of awful crap from her awful husband because she was so perfectly submissive. I'm going to crawl back into my cave of archaic obscurity now.....

@SPHASH Thank you!!

@erunerune When I googled "griselda" that's the first link that popped up! I just assumed FJ-ers were in on the archaic stereotype because they are so well-read! (Of course, knowing about Eleanor Roosevelt's griselda moods falls into that category as well)

For all the talk about using time wisely and profitably, what a bunch of bs! Imagine washing, vaccuming(?) or whatever in increments.  I hate doing floors so I look at my kitchen with ceramic tiles and say - I know! I'll just scrub 6 tiles a day and it will only take me a week or 10 days to finish the job! Right! So I get to take out steam cleaner / mop & bucket everyday. That makes sense. 

Or how about a dairy farmer. Guess he/she could only milk 5 cows a day! Clean and sterilize for 5 cows. Not to mention the distress the other female bovines would be in! I know - silly. But really, the Maxwells are sooo ridiculous. 

As someone mentioned earlier, 7 adults in that house and it takes 3 hours to clean a fridge. Talking about reaching for a story about time management.

The typical Father's Day post about Steve is up on the blog. I'm kinda shocked at how few times they mentioned Jesus, I guess Sarah needs fewer animal crackers and more time in the prayer closet. 

On 6/18/2017 at 11:01 AM, Justmurrayed said:

I'm kinda shocked at how few times they mentioned Jesus, 

I think we all know who the true Lord and Savior is in Maxhell.  :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

11 hours ago, erunerune said:

Oh wow, I had thought "Griselda" was a Canterbury Tales  reference to "patient Griselda" who submitted to a bunch of awful crap from her awful husband because she was so perfectly submissive. I'm going to crawl back into my cave of archaic obscurity now.....

I thought it was that too. And because I had a book when I was a kid that had Griselda as one of the witches.

And also because the name translates as "gray-haired battle" and is also the origin of the word "to grizzle" (complain), which sums up Teri perfectly really. 

How is it "moderation" if you eat all the cookies but only one chunk at a time?

"My dad has been an awesome role model of what a dad should be. When we were growing up, he always had time for us. He had gentle, kind words to encourage us in the endeavors we pursued. " Says Sarah.

I say; really? Honestly? I might just have to ask you to prove that young lady.  I guess he modeled what a dad should be if a dad should be a dictator whose word is law. Not such a great model if a dad should be your guidance through your years until you are launched in to the world to follow your own path. 

As for encouraging endeavours, phleeese.   

13 hours ago, erunerune said:

That works too!

Oh dear Lordy Teri is writing about how long it takes her to clean the fridge again. I just can't with this. I clean our fridge on a fairly regular basis. I don't know why it feels like Teri talks about it so much or why it takes 3 hours. There are SO many grown people in that house without jobs. Why does cleaning the fridge need to be broken up into 15 minute increments? Someone in the comments wrote that it takes him or her only about 45 minutes to clean the fridge. Teri has been called out. 

So once upon a time (last February), I had some fish go off in the fridge overnight. It smelled as badly as you might imagine. I had to pull everything out and soak it in baking soda and then liquid dish soap. How long did it take me to do a thorough, multiple-step cleaning of my stinky fridge? Two hours. 

I cannot imagine why on earth it would take someone three hours to do a routine cleaning. 

I'm off this week, and while I do not idolize The Almighty Schedule, I have a general idea of what I will do to keep occupied. I do intend to clean the fridge, but I can assure you that between unloading, cleaning the shelves and drawers, and reorganizing everything as it goes back in, the whole task will be complete in about half an hour.  And it's pretty dirty in there.  

Maybe Teri's three hour span includes asking for Steve's permission, praying for guidance, waiting for the Lord to lay it on her heart, adjusting The Schedule, planning the blog entry, getting Sarah scheduled to take pictures, praying for God not to let the dairy products spoil, writing the blog entry, then having Stevehova proof and approve the blog. 

With seven able-bodied adults in that already-immaculate house (four of whom are home makers), cleaning the fridge shouldn't take more than ten minutes. 

Good Lord...I live alone and last time I cleaned my refrigerator, I waited until it was time to get groceries and I took everything out and wiped it down and threw out what was no longer needed. It took me all of maybe an hour or so. These people need to learn to relax and have fun, but that will never happen. 

I think fun is a bad word in the Maxwell house. They are not allowed to sit and relax because that would be unproductive. 

Steve fears the Lord. Steve needs to get a new relationship with religion...or pick a different denomination. I'd go with the one with the loving and forgiving God.

Can you imagine basing your entire life on something that you fear?? What a mind screw!

Okay guys, I am not nearly as good at history as some of the FJers here and I have a question. I'm sorry if I word this badly or this doesn't make sense: When I think of the Maxwell kidults still at home keeping themselves busy with projects like polishing the oak cabinets and making handmade cards, I am reminded of a period in history when upper class white women busied themselves with genteel hobbies like needle point or painting. Sort of like what I've seen in movies like Pride and Prejudice. Do you think this culture of stay-at-home-daughters is trying to hearken back to that time?  It makes me think that modern day fundies like the fantasy of their daughters being too good for work and staying home is a status symbol to them. It shows that Daddy can provide or something. 

20 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Okay guys, I am not nearly as good at history as some of the FJers here and I have a question. I'm sorry if I word this badly or this doesn't make sense: When I think of the Maxwell kidults still at home keeping themselves busy with projects like polishing the oak cabinets and making handmade cards, I am reminded of a period in history when upper class white women busied themselves with gentile hobbies like needle point or painting. Sort of like what I've seen in movies like Pride and Prejudice. Do you think this culture of stay-at-home-daughters is trying to hearken back to that time?  It makes me think that modern day fundies like the fantasy of their daughters being too good for work and staying home is a status symbol to them. It shows that Daddy can provide or something. 

I agree this is definitely the case with Jim Bob Duggar, who grew up watching his mother struggle to support the family. This may be true for some of the other fundies who come from a background marked by poverty and family instability. I'm not sure about Steve, though. IIRC, his parents divorced when he was a child, but his background seems more middle-class than some of the other fundie families. He is also older than many of the other fundies, a Baby Boomer rather than a Generation Xer.

Holy shit snacks, John and Jesse went on a backpacking trip to Colorado by themselves!!! What is going on in Maxhell that that is allowed?!? Are they just that confident in the brainwashing at this point? 

15 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

"My dad has been an awesome role model of what a dad should be. When we were growing up, he always had time for us. He had gentle, kind words to encourage us in the endeavors we pursued. " Says Sarah.

Of course he made time for his children. From 10:22 am to 10:26 am. Gotta stay on schedule.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived