IGNORED

Maxwell 9: Woks and spices - what's next?

Coconut Flan

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, Triplet3 said:

I forgot to say, I'd also make cherries preserved in rum, and try my hand at making cherry brandy. I doubt the Maxwells would do either (and they're missing out!) 

Yuuummmm...I'd pit the cherries and soak 'em in Chambord.  I've done that with stemmed maraschinos and dipped 'em in chocolate.  Ah, cherries....

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw Teri's response to a comment on the neighbour "good-bye" post: "That was sure our desire."

Surely her grammar is lacking!

That reminds me of a joke, so I googled it and found the same joke book I had as a kid: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=pRYJci20PAIC&lpg=PA146&ots=quQtA6vidX&pg=PA146#v=onepage

Holy moly, three hours to clean out a refrigerator?  With several adults available to do the job? 

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/06/16/one-bite-at-a-time/

You know, I can see the recommendation to break a job down into 15 minute increments and do one each day IF you are chronically depressed or have other mental health issues that make it next to impossible to handle anything more extensive but they are really being ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, Dark Matters said:

Holy moly, three hours to clean out a refrigerator?  With several adults available to do the job? 

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/06/16/one-bite-at-a-time/

You know, I can see the recommendation to break a job down into 15 minute increments and do one each day IF you are chronically depressed or have other mental health issues that make it next to impossible to handle anything more extensive but they are really being ridiculous.

I was just coming here to post about that! Even back in 82-84 when I had a really old fridge with a freezer "compartment" that had to be defrosted, even when I MOVED OUT, I didn't spend 3 freakin hours cleaning a fridge! These people have made it their ministry to be DULL for the Lord, I swear.

But then, they kept their Christian textbooks and did every less BECAUSE they were dull. Yep. This is THAT family.

Fifteen minute increments, eh? Sounds like FlyLady talk to me...

I'm not able to just spend 15 minutes at a time on a small project like that.  I may procrastinate on starting it, but once I start, I get into it and want to finish it.  And like another poster stated, 3 hours is a long time to spend on the frig.  Especially since they probably clean it on a regular basis (unlike me).

And breaking the cookies into smaller chunks - who would have thought about doing that.... :pb_rollseyes:  although cookies never last that long in my house.

3 hours to clean a refrigerator? When my roommates and I did a major cleanout/deep clean of our fridge, it was a solid 45ish minutes (it was pretty nasty). And that included the time it took to find a bottle of wine that we had to "taste test" to make sure it was still good. And you know, with wine, you really need to have more than a sip to really assess the flavor...

Fuck me. Just when I think the Maxwells can't get any more boring...

When my sister and her hubby bought their first house, the fridge that came with it was in NASTY shape. (The house had belonged to an old lady who had either died or gone into a nursing home; neither the realtor or her family cleaned out the fridge.) I don't think it took me three hours to clean it out, but it did take a long time. I had to throw everything out, scrub down the inside with bleach, and then scrub it out again to get rid of the bleach smell.

6 days at 30 minutes a day, or 12 days at 15 minutes a day to clean a fridge?

If the fridge gets filled with other items, do Teri and the acolytes have to start over?

This is insanity.

Again, the Maxwells remind me of when I worked in retail on slow days. I would divide up the day into 15 minute increments doing odd jobs and stuff just to make the time go by faster and feel productive when there was absolutely nothing productive to do. I think this is a major factor in why the Maxwells are so schedule oriented. 

Oh, what's that called these days? When you say something that sounds sorta genuine but it is actually boasting???? What is that??? Humblyboasting? Something like that. Well that is exactly what that first sentence is. We have such self-control and discipline that we just can't manage to eat all the biscuits (cookies) and sweet stuff we make.  It does beg the question; why the hell do you make it if no-one wants to eat it?

As for the fridge idiocy; freak me, after 30-however many years of running a house if you haven't put the damn fridge cleaning on your precious schedule I don't know what to tell ya. 

Freshly baked cookies don't last that long in my house. If they have a cookie, does that mean they don't get two animal crackers? Are they not allowed to snack?

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

Freshly baked cookies don't last that long in my house. If they have a cookie, does that mean they don't get two animal crackers? Are they not allowed to snack?

I wonder if the Maxwell chidults have to ask their parents before they eat a cookie or anything else? Can they buy cookies (or bake their own with ingredients they purchased themselves) without Teri or Steve having a discussion about it or putting it on some damn schedule? I mean, sure, I can see a need for SOME kind of schedule so they don't have six people trying to cook in the kitchen at the same time. But if there's no one else in the kitchen and Anna feels like baking some fudge brownies, would she be allowed to go to the store by herself, grab a Duncan Hines mix, and bake those fudge brownies? According to Steve, all his kids are wage-earning adults, so they'd be spending their own money.

Three hours to clean a refrigerator? We know the Maxwell's would never let their refrigerator get all nasty and full of leftovers- hell, how do they have leftovers when they probably only make enough of their tasteless burritos for one meal at a time. Do they pray over each item as they take it out of the fridge? Bless each shelf? Hold a exorcism if an item is expired? Calm down crazy Teri... we know you're lying. 

I'm just surprised they don't pop over to give any spare cookies to the "extended family". 

54 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I'm just surprised they don't pop over to give any spare cookies to the "extended family". 

Exactly. I'm sure some of their grandchildren would love the treats and it would be such a blessing to their busy, home schooling moms!

DH and I are childfree but we have had a certain family of kids in our lives for 13 years, since the twins were born (with two older sisters, so four kids five and under). Not once in all those years have I baked something and not taken 2/3 to 3/4 of it directly to their house (nor waited until the cookies were a week old). I suspect I'll continue to do that until they go away to college. It's really not a novel idea!

I clean parts of our refrigerator as needed and am positive I haven't spent 3 hours on it in the last three years. Obviously the veggie drawer gets the most attention, but for the other shelves, I usually wipe them down when we're running low on things and it's easier to do so.

The Maxwells remind me of people who label every drawer and bin in the house, and go so far as to make an EMPTY label for those that are empty. It's as if they can't be comfortable in stillness and must just keep running like hamsters on a wheel. What a waste. 

Six cookies might sit on the counter for a week?  SIX FUCKING COOKIES?  I can down six cookies with a cup of coffee.  That might be one of the reasons I'm chubby, but I digress...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there are Orthodox hermits on Mt. Athos who are absolute PARTY ANIMALS compared to these automatons. 

First, I want to see the size of that fridge! 3 hours? or break it up into increments? I just can't believe these people. How ridiculous.  6 days at 30 min or 12 day at 15 min??? I would lose my mind!

What brand of inside-the-refrigerator polish should I use? Asking for a friend.

OK, OK they are trolling us and LTAO as they read our responses. I'd almost be happy if that were the case.

In regards to the fridge cleaning post, I couldn't help but noticing how the "random" story about the leftover cookies led the way to another time management lesson.  Always a lesson--nothing is ever random. Oh Maxwells, so predictable yet so intriguing. 

I wonder if the Father's Day post will include a pregnancy announcement. Just a hunch.

Here is SPHASH to  rescue as I write Poor Sarah's FD tribute to Coward Steve: Happy Father's Day Dad! You are a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather who is always there for us with your infinite wisdom.  But most importantly you are a real man of God who serves Him faithfully.  Little trivia about dad...he used to fly planes but now hopes to fly again someday with the Lord's wings.  He also prefers coffee over lattes.  We love you dad!  Griselda Teri, Poor Sarah, Stud John, Goofy Anna, Forgotten Jesse, Scary Mary, and the extended family...Crazy Eyed Nate, Wonder Woman Melanie, Abby, Bethany, Tina, Drew, and Benji, Prissy Chris, Amish Anna, Joshua, Ruthy, Lydia, and Danny, Smug Joe, Invisible Elissa, and Calia (so far).

Steve comes down in the night and counts the remaining cookies in the container, then grills everyone at 4 am Bible study over who ate the most recent cookie and why they didn't break it in quarters before selfishly having one all to him or herself.  "Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of cookies!" Steve lectures. Everyone writes it, dutifully, a hundred times in their notebooks.  Teri wonders, if she writes faster, can she sneak away to get in a quick 15 minutes of wiping down the pickle jar.

23 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

Oh, what's that called these days? When you say something that sounds sorta genuine but it is actually boasting???? What is that??? Humblyboasting?

Humble-brag! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived