IGNORED

Whitney and Zach Bates- Part 2

samurai_sarah

All the bows and ruffles and fake pony-tails and jewelry are so impractical. I had three girls. My babies would've just ripped all that stuff off in 2 seconds.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Carm_88 said:
On 2/11/2017 at 2:54 PM, season of life said:

Whitney is dramatic when it comes to Zach and his job. You'd think this guy was being deployed to Iraq the way she writes about him. I'm sure she is proud and there is nothing wrong about praying for his safety, but Whitney shouldn't be so obsessed with the idea of Zach dying/being injured.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. It's not like it's a big city where there are tons of crime. After having lived in a small town and knowing the small town police officers, something bad could happen but it's not that likely. I wouldn't say their wives are home saying the rosary or anything.

Sorry, but any job involving a gun is a dangerous job. Don't ever doubt that some of the most terrible crimes can come from small town America. I always forget the Whitney is still very young, although she looks older. I personally will give her a break on her anxiety.

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It could be a teething bracelet. I've seen things like that at Target or Babies R Us before.

And I don't think her ears are pierced yet. Do the Bateses, in general, allow pierced ears? It seems like there are so many rules regarding suggested attire with these people and they just pick and choose whatever they feel makes them look most normal that day.

Kelly and all of the girls living at home do not have pierced ears. I remember either Erin or Alyssa posting about it a couple of years ago. All of their jewelery is clip-on. Alyssa definitely got her ears pierced after she moved out, not sure about Erin, and pretty sure Michael has not pierced her ears. 

eta: You know who will DEFINITELY get her ears pierced the second she escapes Bates Manor? Josie. Girlfriend loves her some chandelier earrings. 

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

Kelly and all of the girls living at home do not have pierced ears. I remember either Erin or Alyssa posting about it a couple of years ago. All of their jewelery is clip-on. Alyssa definitely got her ears pierced after she moved out, not sure about Erin, and pretty sure Michael has not pierced her ears. 

eta: You know who will DEFINITELY get her ears pierced the second she escapes Bates Manor? Josie. Girlfriend loves her some chandelier earrings. 

That girls gonna wear pants too! You know she raids Alyssas closet when she's in Florida.

my bet on pants wearing is tori, carlin and josie.
josie will definitely get her ears pierced, and so will carlin. don't think tori will, i never see her with much jewellery on.

bet that's why carlin and josie frequently visit alyssa, they raid her closet.

On 3/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, marmalade said:

K

HAHAHAHA, All I can think of is some cross between the Bates Motel and Downton Abbey.  

As always in this tread, in the immortal words of (If anyone remembers please fill me in!) "Cute kids, it's a shame about the cult!" 

On 3/8/2017 at 5:49 AM, sansan said:

Sorry, but any job involving a gun is a dangerous job. Don't ever doubt that some of the most terrible crimes can come from small town America. I always forget the Whitney is still very young, although she looks older. I personally will give her a break on her anxiety.

Yeah, I'm willing to give her a pass on this as well.

I know a person whose father was a police officer in a Small town in Germany, where gun violence is less common/widespread than in the United States. He was shot dead by a drunken man high on ice when he responded to a "routine" call out to a home where the neighbours reporting screaming. It is rare, but it happens. There are always certain risks when you're a police officer, regardless of whether you're in a small "safe" community or in one of the roughest parts of a city like Baltimore or St Louis or Chicago, and I do think Whitney's worry is valid. 

11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

As always in this tread, in the immortal words of (If anyone remembers please fill me in!) "Cute kids, it's a shame about the cult!" 

Haha, I think I might have said that actually. I remember someone criticizing me for it haha.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:06 AM, Mela99 said:

I think the little pearl bracelet stays on. I haven't seen her without it. I still don't get baby jewelry. Are her ears pierced yet?

1) I thought Zach singing was much better than Lawson

2) I watch too many crime shows, so my thought with the bracelet is that if it's on all the time, it should be a tracking bracelet (yup, gps, in case she is misplaced)

3) The Bates girls are not allowed to pierce their ears. Alyssa talked about this in season one, and said it's one of the differences between her and her family. The rest of them wear clip-ons

4) I think they do sleep with bows. In a recent episode, Alyssa tucked Allie Jane into bed with her hair done. I wondered if it was because she does bath time at night, and so Allie Jane's hair is done for the next day the night before? Whatever the reason may be, I imagine those girls have constant headaches AND are at risk for choking

On 3/10/2017 at 5:13 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

There are always certain risks when you're a police officer, regardless of whether you're in a small "safe" community or in one of the roughest parts of a city like Baltimore or St Louis or Chicago, and I do think Whitney's worry is valid. 

I worked with two women who were married to police officers.  Both of them frequently expressed worry over their husbands' safety and made no secret of the relief they would feel when their husbands retired.    So I completely understand Whitney's concern.  Also, she's got her little family now, after experiencing a difficult family life when younger, so perhaps she feels more worried about something happening to it. 

On 3/10/2017 at 9:19 PM, colors_outside15 said:

Whatever the reason may be, I imagine those girls have constant headaches AND are at risk for choking

It makes me stabby to see the constant hair bows for this reason.  Those have to be held on pretty firmly to stay in place as well.  It might be cute and all, but it's got to be uncomfortable.  I can see putting one on for a photo, but all the time? 

My parents had 3 girls and I can guarantee all of us would have ripped those things off.

I don't like seeing so many headbands and bows on little girls, either (although some can be cute and maybe comfy, especially the soft yoga looking kind, but I think it's a southern thing more than a fundie thing. Especially the giant bows. I live in Tennessee and it's almost like people notice more if your female baby is NOT wearing a bow. 

I have two toddler girls. I wasn't planning on going the bows all the time route, but I got tired of people assuming my babies were boys (even if they were wearing feminine colors) or asking me if they were boys or girls. My girls didn't mind them at all, and if they did they'd just take it off and no worries.

@Pukingpearl same with me and my twin brother. From the day I was born till my first birthday I had a headband on like 90% of the time cause my mom got tired of people calling me a boy. Granted though the bow wasn't huge or crazy looking.

I have two girls and neither of them wore bows. They have 3 older brothers and wore all sorts of "boy" hand me downs. I never got upset when people thought they were boys because whatever. I had 4 in 5 years and my 5th 3 years later, half the time I didn't even know who was who. Is that one a boy? Hell I don't know. 

On 3/14/2017 at 4:27 PM, jacduggar said:

I have two girls and neither of them wore bows. They have 3 older brothers and wore all sorts of "boy" hand me downs. I never got upset when people thought they were boys because whatever. I had 4 in 5 years and my 5th 3 years later, half the time I didn't even know who was who. Is that one a boy? Hell I don't know. 

That made me laugh out loud (no LOLs for me, I hate those, and hashtags).

I don't understand the giant bow headband thing. There is not ONE photo of me at any point as a baby/toddler wearing a bow. My mother always had me in yellow for some reason for photos. 

Back when I was born most babies wore lots of yellow and green because no one knew what the baby was going to be so the mothers would get tons of gender neutral stuff. I wore the same green sleeper as my brothers.  

41 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Back when I was born most babies wore lots of yellow and green because no one knew what the baby was going to be so the mothers would get tons of gender neutral stuff. I wore the same green sleeper as my brothers.  

I tend to buy green and yellow for my daughter. I love those colors because they remind me of spring... and I personally don't like pink. I don't mind a bit of pink in her wardrobe, but I'm really trying to avoid an explosion of pink, glitter, and frills.

1 hour ago, Coconutwater said:

I don't understand the giant bow headband thing. There is not ONE photo of me at any point as a baby/toddler wearing a bow. My mother always had me in yellow for some reason for photos. 

Because someone may confuse their baby girl for a boy. And that's apparently unacceptable.

(I had a few people ask about my son today - first time anyone thought Velocibaby was a boy. I laughed when they apologized and said it wasn't a big deal. She's a baby. She doesn't care what you call her as long as you're nice to her. :pb_lol:)

3 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

I agree.  The bows are completely ridiculous.  I've read here that fundies are overly concerned with making sure nobody mistakes the baby for being male, which is the most asinine thing ever.  It's a baby.  Why does it matter?  I can think of millions of other things that are far worse than someone saying to a parent with a girl baby, "What a cute little boy!"   

Besides, I'm sure the babies themselves don't give a toss about their outfit.  If anything, it seems like the bow would be yanked off right away by the baby.  

17 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I agree.  The bows are completely ridiculous.  I've read here that fundies are overly concerned with making sure nobody mistakes the baby for being male, which is the most asinine thing ever.  It's a baby.  Why does it matter?  I can think of millions of other things that are far worse than someone saying to a parent with a girl baby, "What a cute little boy!"   

Besides, I'm sure the babies themselves don't give a toss about their outfit.  If anything, it seems like the bow would be yanked off right away by the baby.  

I've tried putting bows on my daughter for special occasions and yeah, she rips them off. I usually use ones with a soft, thick band, not those thin strap ones that look like they'll leave dents. Those babies are probably so accustomed to having a dang bow on from birth that they don't think to try and pull them off.

I'm amazed that they don't take off their bows. My baby pictures some times I had a bow and other times I didn't. My mom said those were the times I took off the bows so many times that it really wasn't worth it. I've heard other moms say the same thing. It was like the little sweater vests for my nephew when he was a baby. Yes, he looked really cute when he'd wear them for holidays but it always ended up being decided by how he was that morning. Some times he was easy to dress and didn't fuss but other times it was battle just to get any clothes on him. When ever I see a baby with a bow I'm more surprised that she's not taking it off. 

41 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm amazed that they don't take off their bows. My baby pictures some times I had a bow and other times I didn't. My mom said those were the times I took off the bows so many times that it really wasn't worth it. I've heard other moms say the same thing. It was like the little sweater vests for my nephew when he was a baby. Yes, he looked really cute when he'd wear them for holidays but it always ended up being decided by how he was that morning. Some times he was easy to dress and didn't fuss but other times it was battle just to get any clothes on him. When ever I see a baby with a bow I'm more surprised that she's not taking it off. 

I just hope the moms don't bow train in the way the Bates parens (Gil and Kelly) and the Duggar parents (Jim Bob and Michelle) blanket trained. I'd hate to think the girls are trained to wear the bows without ripping them out. In no way am I saying this generation of Bates offspring blanket trains- there doesn't seem to be evidence for that. I just hope the little girls' hands aren't slapped if they remove their bow. 

(Hoping that makes sense- I've got a honker of a cold.)

About the bows....aside from the fact that they are usually WAY too big for her head I don't really see an issue with them. Every one of my friends baby girls all wear bows on the regular. You can call it "training" them to wear them if you want, but really it boils down the fact that  1.) They're cute & 2.) come winter all their girls have no issues keeping a hat on because they're used to having something on their head. Meanwhile my friends with boys have a constant battle of winter of them ripping their hats off.

I swear there's not a day that goes by without people bitching about those bows. They're not my favorite; we got some as gifts, but generally didn't use them often....and only the soft and loose ones. If a parent put them on regularly from birth, it's not unthinkable a kid would just be used to them and not rip them off. It doesn't mean they're slapping hands or gluing them down or forcing them to wear them around the clock.  Those big honkin' bows are a major southern thing, whether you're fundie or not. @Hmmm_idolatry, the speculation that fundies do the bows so that God-forbid-anyone-thinks-a-girl-is-a-boy is just that --- speculation. 

8 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I swear there's not a day that goes by without people bitching about those bows. They're not my favorite; we got some as gifts, but generally didn't use them often....and only the soft and loose ones. If a parent put them on regularly from birth, it's not unthinkable a kid would just be used to them and not rip them off. It doesn't mean they're slapping hands or gluing them down or forcing them to wear them around the clock.  Those big honkin' bows are a major southern thing, whether you're fundie or not. @Hmmm_idolatry, the speculation that fundies do the bows so that God-forbid-anyone-thinks-a-girl-is-a-boy is just that --- speculation. 

While I agree with your post, the truth is that Bow-as-a-gender-proof is not just speculation. When you put a headband in a unhealthy tiny preemie baby, as Duggars did with Josie, is because you don't care about your baby being confortable and because you need to make clear it's a girl. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived