IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 12: Baby

samurai_sarah

11 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Hmm. I live right next to Hurst. About a 20 min ride. 

i will send you a brownie if you go that thing in June - it should be fascinating - in terms for Ben to fall down in front of people 

does anyone else see snowflakes on the website and how do I get rid of it. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, nst said:

<snip>

does anyone else see snowflakes on the website and how do I get rid of it. 

hi :) go to the very bottom left of this page, links are there...it's the uniform one that has no snow.

My 3 year old niece when asked what she wanted to name her sister, whose due in April, came up with Princess. I laughed and said it's better than Spurgeon. I hope this child will have a normal name. Elliott would have been the better choice.

@nst, will the brownies be like the recipe in A Child's Garden of Grass?  @tabitha2 might need a little herbal assistance if she's to be subjected to Bin's preaching.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My 3 year old niece when asked what she wanted to name her sister, whose due in April, came up with Princess. I laughed and said it's better than Spurgeon. I hope this child will have a normal name. Elliott would have been the better choice.

I agree but on the other hand, how unfair for Spurgie if his siblings have normal names and he doesn't

Aiden or Tozer.

Aiden is pretty trendy now but if she wants to keep up the special snowflake-ness, they'll go with Tozer. 

On 12/27/2016 at 5:55 PM, sunshine said:

15747372_239348259810552_7059110885687743234_n.png

LOL Bin gets to rub elbows with that quack Voddie Baucham.  Now that would be an interesting conversation to see.

Bit of a non-sequitur from all the names talk---

I was just thinking about how Jessa reminds bit of that really pretty/popular/kinda bitchy girl from high school who marries a hot guy she barely knows quickly after graduation because the image seems right in her head. At first she's really smug because she's the first among her friends to get the only kind of validation that matters - a hot guy willing to put a ring on it. But then he turns out to be a dud and she never gets to leave town or figure out what might really make her happy. If she's lucky she'll emerge child-free sometime in her 20s and get a chance to start over. But once you start having kids, it's pretty much game over.

14 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Bit of a non-sequitur from all the names talk---

I was just thinking about how Jessa reminds bit of that really pretty/popular/kinda bitchy girl from high school who marries a hot guy she barely knows quickly after graduation because the image seems right in her head. At first she's really smug because she's the first among her friends to get the only kind of validation that matters - a hot guy willing to put a ring on it. But then he turns out to be a dud and she never gets to leave town or figure out what might really make her happy. If she's lucky she'll emerge child-free sometime in her 20s and get a chance to start over. But once you start having kids, it's pretty much game over.

I disagree. I think she has matured much quicker than Jill and at least her husband has some sort of plan. He's in an online degree program and maybe? working part time. It's not unreasonable that while he is in school they are living close and benfiting from her family. Jessa is the most natural with social media and parenting based on what is shown on social media. She will sincerely respond to questions and call people out when they assume wrong etc. The other duggars use "God bless (insert username here". Or "thank you so much (username". That to me is much more smug and disingenuous. I think if I was raised as a Duggar, being over it with a resting bitch face would be my best case scenario. I think her smugness at times can be misinterpreted as I could never be super cheerful all the time. I don't think the lack of fake baby talk and excitement equals holier than thou, it's just her personality. 

I don't think Ben is a dud, I just don't think he is fully formed yet.  Honestly, I think Ben has the potential to outgrow Jessa.  Jessa doesn't strike me as very flexible or open-minded.  Where as Ben is at least seeking further education and understanding.  Unless Jessa changes,  I think it is possible that after a couple more Kids, Ben will be bored with his life, and Jessa will be bitter.  I hope I am wrong.  I don't especially like Jessa, but it isn't her fault that she was raised in such a terrible way and was stunted in her emotional and intellectual development.  I do sincerely hope that she will have her heart softened and her mind opened. 

47 minutes ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Aiden or Tozer.

Aiden is pretty trendy now but if she wants to keep up the special snowflake-ness, they'll go with Tozer

Agreed with this. There are plenty of normal sounding names they could go with and keep with the theme of Christian heroes. But how can you give another child a normal name after that? I almost feel like they set the bar with Spurgeon and we can expect other names in the same vain. I just can't imagine Spurgeon being named what he is and then comes along his little brother Matthew (random name, for conversation sake).

Here's hoping I am wrong, for the sake of Spurgie's future siblings.

Oh I'm definitely not criticizing Jessa for failing to "keep sweet." Of the oldest daughters she's probably the only one aside from Joy that I can imagine being friends with. 

And perhaps calling Ben a dud was too harsh. I guess I just meant that they do not seem particularly well-suited, and that their initial attraction seems like it was based purely on looks. 

13 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Oh I'm definitely not criticizing Jessa for failing to "keep sweet." Of the oldest daughters she's probably the only one aside from Joy that I can imagine being friends with. 

And perhaps calling Ben a dud was too harsh. I guess I just meant that they do not seem particularly well-suited, and that their initial attraction seems like it was based purely on looks. 

I agree on both accounts. I guess I still have hope that they'll continue to grow and evolve. And I know exactly the popular girl marries high school hero scenario you were talking about. I don't think Ben was that much of a stud to begin with haha. I don't have that same hope for Jill and Derick and think their mutual self destruction won't end well. 

Tozer Benjamin Seewald.

I could definitely see that happening.

Or some other ridiculous first name and Aiden for the middle name.

I do think they will go somewhat more normal for the girls, because you know, girls aren't destined to be great... just in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, so it doesn't matter their namesake.

Re: Ben's latest speaking engagement:

I'm in my eighth year of theological study, and still my advisors are warning us not to publish/present at conferences until later in our careers. To quote one: "You don't have anything interesting to say yet." (Preaching's a little different than strictly academic stuff. But still, I didn't start preaching until my last year of seminary [master's degree].)

What could Ben possibly have to say?? And at a conference that's about preaching, i.e., teaching others how to preach?

(He does have one credential that I don't have: being a man.)

23 minutes ago, TakingBibleClasses said:

What could Ben possibly have to say?? And at a conference that's about preaching, i.e., teaching others how to preach?

You got me thinking...maybe Ben's there to be the example of what not to do :my_rolleyes:

Do Americans use the word "tosser" to insult someone? I'm not sure if that's more of a British insult.

Because I misread Tozer as Tosser, and there really isn't a better description for Bin than that he's a complete and utter tosser. 

Honestly, these people think these names are some sort of honour for their children but it's beyond ridiculous. I'm absolutely livid right now at even a meer rumour, I'm guessing once they reveal this poor child's name my swearing will be heard all the way in NWA.

2 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

You got me thinking...maybe Ben's there to be the example of what not to do :my_rolleyes:

You know what, now I feel bad, because I'll probably end up teaching seminary and I should be encouraging young preachers. So nothing personal here, but someone gave him bad advice to occupy so public a platform at this stage in his career.

I still think Tozer is better. I think Tozer sounds like a strange name. Spurgeon still reminds me of a fish (sturgeon) and Spurge reminds me of purge, and Spurgey...just forget about it. The name is just not audibly appealing to the ear in my opinion.

But he is a really cute baby!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived