IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 12: Baby

samurai_sarah

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28 December 2016 at 7:37 PM, lomo6 said:

Bit of a non-sequitur from all the names talk---

I was just thinking about how Jessa reminds bit of that really pretty/popular/kinda bitchy girl from high school who marries a hot guy she barely knows quickly after graduation because the image seems right in her head. At first she's really smug because she's the first among her friends to get the only kind of validation that matters - a hot guy willing to put a ring on it. But then he turns out to be a dud and she never gets to leave town or figure out what might really make her happy. If she's lucky she'll emerge child-free sometime in her 20s and get a chance to start over. But once you start having kids, it's pretty much game over.

A bit like Muriel's Wedding. A brilliant film. 

53 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

A bit like Muriel's Wedding. A brilliant film. 

I just watched that movie this afternoon!

One of my favourites, and I love the music.  

I went to see Mama Mia at a theatre in Toronto, and the people sitting in front of me were in their 60s, the people behind me in their 20s, but everyone knew the words to all of the songs.

Abba is universal.

@TakingBibleClasses, thanks so much for finding that film! I've been wanting to see The Return Of the Daughters ever since the beginning of my fundie obsession back in 2008 or so. What a great way to start a new year, with a big glass of porter in one hand and a VF classic on screen :dramallama-nanner:

I keep forgetting this kid is due in February. Hope one of the Seewald sisters doesn't announce the birth like last time.

So I'm probably behind the times and this has probably been discussed before BUT I saw some of a counting on episode and Jessa was talking about being pregnant and she was at least 12 weeks and she was saying she hadn't heard a heartbeat yet? Now I'm no expert but if she is getting any medical care at all for this pregnancy it sounds like it is entirely lack luster.  Even Jill who asked her looked like she was expecting her to say yes.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

So I'm probably behind the times and this has probably been discussed before BUT I saw some of a counting on episode and Jessa was talking about being pregnant and she was at least 12 weeks and she was saying she hadn't heard a heartbeat yet? Now I'm no expert but if she is getting any medical care at all for this pregnancy it sounds like it is entirely lack luster.  Even Jill who asked her looked like she was expecting her to say yes.

I think I remember this being discussed on the counting on thread when the episode aired/the recap was posted, and iirc it was about 50/50 on posters thinking it indicated  lack of care, and posters who implied it wasn't that strange that early on. Take that fwiw as I can't chime in, as I am childless and definitely not a doctor. :pb_biggrin:

Off topic.

For lovers of Muril's Wedding, the Sydney Theatre Co. is making it into a musical this year! I think tickets go on sale in March (group packs are already available) and it premieres inNovember.

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Off topic.

For lovers of Muril's Wedding, the Sydney Theatre Co. is making it into a musical this year! I think tickets go on sale in March (group packs are already available) and it premieres inNovember.

Ooh, I think I'll go, thanks!

9 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I don't think they have that many ultrasounds. Just the sex determinant one. 

I'm sure at least Jill owns a fetal doppler. Hell, even I own one and I'm not even a faux midwife.

19 hours ago, season of life said:

I keep forgetting this kid is due in February. Hope one of the Seewald sisters doesn't announce the birth like last time.

I'm sure TLC gave her a good talking to. Or a check...

So, I was bored and decided to do a little Where are they now? for Return of the Daughters. Mostly gathered stuff from FJ and around the web, but thought it would be fun to have in one place.

Botkin Sisters - not married, still staying home, still blogging about it, but not selling their SAHD stuff as much it would seem

Jasmine - now married with at least one kid, but got her BA and now teaches in an inner-city school

Katie - married with 3 kids, still seems steeped in kool-aid

Melissa - married to a VF guy, now with 4 kids

Kelly - now up to (I believe) 6 kids

Lourdes - going to college, suing Vision Forum and basically living the FJ dream for all SAHDs

It is kind of fascinating to see where these women are ten years on. Mostly following the party line, but not all of them. Gives me a tiny ray of hope. 

On 12/29/2016 at 11:42 PM, immodest_countenance said:

But Jessa doesn't seem as helpless as the other daughters do. She's not really a person I would like to hang out with personally; but there is something kinda admirable how she has kept her her thinly-veiled,passive aggressive, no nonsense attitude towards things despite living in  Duggar-ville. 

I agree. Bitchiness has a purpose, and passive-aggressive beats passive. In her cult, she can't be an assertive equal. She seems to be feeling some of her power, and using it as well as she can for herself.

6 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

So, I was bored and decided to do a little Where are they now? for Return of the Daughters. Mostly gathered stuff from FJ and around the web, but thought it would be fun to have in one place.

Botkin Sisters - not married, still staying home, still blogging about it, but not selling their SAHD stuff as much it would seem

Jasmine - now married with at least one kid, but got her BA and now teaches in an inner-city school

Katie - married with 3 kids, still seems steeped in kool-aid

Melissa - married to a VF guy, now with 4 kids

Kelly - now up to (I believe) 6 kids

Lourdes - going to college, suing Vision Forum and basically living the FJ dream for all SAHDs

It is kind of fascinating to see where these women are ten years on. Mostly following the party line, but not all of them. Gives me a tiny ray of hope. 

Thank you for looking that up! I was wondering what had happened to the non-Botkins, especially Jasmine. I did find her Twitter, and it seemed pretty mainstream Christian, but didn't dig deaper. Am glad she was able to pursue a college education and is teaching at a real school rather than a homeschool collective. She seemed like a smart and curious lady who wanted more than what her family had planned for her. Also very glad that Lourdes is over the whole SAHD crap and is experiencing the world. I hope she does well for herself.

53 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

As a graphic designer I feel offended by this poster/ad. 

Oh I am sure one of their "professional graphic designers" did it. You know professional in the way that Jana is a concert pianist. lol  I can see some guy putting this together in word or paint. haha

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

As someone who has no idea how to do this stuff I'm offended. The layout sucks. the naming/labeling is awkward and confusing. I could have done better with my Silhouette & scrapbooking supplies. 

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

As a fellow graphic designer I share your offense. That's terrible! If it takes a second look to figure out which name belongs to which person, it's time to scrap it.

I am amused by the heart shape and putting the one black guy front and center. It's like they're saying "See? No women, of course, but we're not ALL white! Not all old, either, look at Ben!"

15 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I think there's an actual graphic designer in the VF/NCFIC set, anyway. One of the Niednagel brothers? I can't speak to the quality of his work, though. Let me see if I can find it; I'd love to see a critique of his work.

Edit: It's not a Niednagel, it's Justin Turley. I have no idea what sort of training he got. Please, share your thoughts, @Iamtheway!

http://justinturley.com/

Off topic, but I went down a fundie FB rabbit hole and ended up on Bens page. 

On the first picture he posted of him and Jesse, Josh commented "I am watching you..."

Few months later, when Ben posted he was writing Jessa a letter, Josh posted "My Dearest Ben, I am still keeping a close eye on you...even when you use such antiquated, yet romantic methods such as paper and pen. 

Sincerely Yours, NSA"

With everything else now known, this is just.. wrong.  "I am watching you to make sure you don't hurt my sister... I would hurt you if you were unfaithful or hurt her but I'm allowed to do that!" 

42 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

On the first picture he posted of him and Jesse, Josh commented "I am watching you..."

Few months later, when Ben posted he was writing Jessa a letter, Josh posted "My Dearest Ben, I am still keeping a close eye on you...even when you use such antiquated, yet romantic methods such as paper and pen. 

Sincerely Yours, NSA"

With everything else now known, this is just.. wrong.  "I am watching you to make sure you don't hurt my sister... I would hurt you if you were unfaithful or hurt her but I'm allowed to do that!" 

Bleach please these  people are so...i don't even know the right word to use  Gross? Wrong? Hypocrithe?  Bleah

28 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Bleach please these  people are so...i don't even know the right word to use  Gross? Wrong? Hypocrithe?  Bleah

Disgusting, cringeworthy, over the top. Here's the bleach! :brainbleach:

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

Sincerely Yours, NSA"

Ben if you read here please beat the living shit out of your brother in law.  I know that the thought of going to jail is scary but I'm sure we can raise your bail and defense money.  If doing so means Boob cuts you off there are many of us that could/would help you and Jessa establish yourself somewhere else. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived