IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the Shower Rack- Part 21

samurai_sarah

I know the post was there and there is no doubt it was his account but it still seems weird to me. They have been to holiday celebrations that were not entirely religious so I am a little confused about the post. I just don't see him flipping out about Santa. Believe me I am not fighting his cause but again this just seems weird. I would love to know what went down for him to post that and I'm sure his mother is appalled.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill, after midwife training, said that Jubilee had blue eyes, when they would still be fused shut.

In the words of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer", " a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

I'm not christian and never was, but when I was a kid, my father had a job working at a pub that adjoined the town's movie theatre. He would sometimes take me to work with him, give me some glasses to polish or bottles/kegs to count and put on inventory sheets. I had to stay in the back and be ready to slip into the common hallway between pub and the theatre so the inspector wouldn't find me, and I quickly realized that I could do my assigned tasks quickly and slide into the movie theatre to catch a show without my father noticing. One of the movies I got to see was Santa Claus: the movie. For a lost and lonely little girl, it was magic and, damn it, I believed. It gave me something kind and loving in my world at a time I when those things were absent IRL. Intellectually, I knew Santa wasn't a logical possibility, but for the first time I had seen selflessness and caring and people helping each other without ulterior motives and it gave me hope for something better - and that is what Santa really is about.

For any adult to publicly announce in a venue that children may see that Santa isn't real just brands that person an asshole forever and all time. I don't care what medical problems may be influencing the douchebaggery, he needs to STFU and respect that his views are not the only valid belief system in the world, and limit his infliction of those beliefs onto the people who have the misfortune to be in his family.

6 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Also, I wonder if he just really runs with the conservative white dude rhetoric that ALL kids millennial and younger are spoiled brats who want everything handed to them and never want to work. :roll:

Well, it is true in his case :pb_lol:

UR SUCH A REBEL DERICK! STICK IT TO MAINSTREAM AMERICA AND TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SANTA IS A FAKE!! FIGHT THE OPPRESSOR!! FIGHT THE SHEEPLE!! 

Why couldnt he he just get a Korn hoodie and glower at adults for a few years like the rest of us did? Pretty sure that the Santa tweet was coming from the same place that those other teenage sentiments come from. 

I don't know what sort of controversy I'm about to unleash, but I do not plan to encourage my future children to literally believe in Santa, and I do not plan to keep up any sort of illusion that he's real. I think that it's just a recipe for disappointment and situations where a child can get unnecessarily upset. Plus, you know, Jewish. But by the same token, I would never go around announcing that Santa's not real (is that the next PureFlix sequel to God's Not Dead?), and any future progeny would be instructed to keep their traps shut at Christmas out of respect for others' beliefs and practices.

16 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I don't know what sort of controversy I'm about to unleash, but I do not plan to encourage my future children to literally believe in Santa, and I do not plan to keep up any sort of illusion that he's real. I think that it's just a recipe for disappointment and situations where a child can get unnecessarily upset. Plus, you know, Jewish. But by the same token, I would never go around announcing that Santa's not real (is that the next PureFlix sequel to God's Not Dead?), and any future progeny would be instructed to keep their traps shut at Christmas out of respect for others' beliefs and practices.

Exactly.

This whole thing comes under Respect others beliefs. I'm atheist (very atheist) but that doesn't mean I can't keep my trap shut and respect the opinions of people who think differently to me.

P.S. Except for Trump and Nigel Farage (if you throw your beliefs at me like missiles, I reserve the right to react).

3 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Exactly.

This whole thing comes under Respect others beliefs. I'm atheist (very atheist) but that doesn't mean I can't keep my trap shut and respect the opinions of people who think differently to me.

Considering Derick's devoted a lot of his adult life to telling brown people that they are bad if they don't think and pray exactly like he does, I think we've found the root sentiment behind his little Santa Rant.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I actually think it's kind of healthy for this very reason. To get you to question things adults tell you and that maybe even God isn't real but is a nice thing believe in some people.

Every kid gets upset about Santa when they find out and yet they all seem to carry on the tradition. So it seems to me that this disappointment can't be too scarring for the majority of people, it just sucks when it happens sooner than it should. 

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

One source of behavior change could be the side effects of malaria prophylaxis. Apparently Lariam is pretty infamous for messing with people's brains dramatically. I wonder if he was taking it in Central America.

Though I also would caution against speculating on people's mental illness/health. He could just be a massive douche.

Lariam can make you crazy.  That's why I stayed away from it when I went to Africa.  Most anti malarial meds that I know of you only continue take for a few weeks to a month( doxycycline) after you return.  I'm gonna go with the twat diagnosis. 

5 minutes ago, Incognito22 said:

Lariam can make you crazy.  That's why I stayed away from it when I went to Africa.  Most anti malarial meds that I know of you only continue take for a few weeks to a month( doxycycline) after you return.  I'm gonna go with the twat diagnosis. 

The last time I was on any prophylaxis, it was Malarone, and that didn't do anything to me besides make me not get malaria; the horror story about Lariam I heard was a woman taking it for her honeymoon in a malaria-prone country (I forget where) and having a psychotic episode on her honeymoon because of it. And now a lot of soldiers are opposed to it being the drug of choice in the military because of its adverse effects, which can be long-term: http://theconversation.com/end-of-the-road-for-lariam-the-malaria-drug-soldiers-claim-increases-psychosis-59928.

Still, I'm gonna diagnose Derick with Douchecanoe Syndrome.

Just now, nastyhobbitses said:

The last time I was on any prophylaxis, it was Malarone, and that didn't do anything to me besides make me not get malaria; the horror story about Lariam I heard was a woman taking it for her honeymoon in a malaria-prone country (I forget where) and having a psychotic episode on her honeymoon because of it. And now a lot of soldiers are opposed to it being the drug of choice in the military because of its adverse effects, which can be long-term: http://theconversation.com/end-of-the-road-for-lariam-the-malaria-drug-soldiers-claim-increases-psychosis-59928.

Still, I'm gonna diagnose Derick with Douchecanoe Syndrome.

I chose Malarone too.  I heard the same stories about the soldiers.  That doesn't the seem smart to give them meds that can cause psychosis in an already stressful environment and surround them with weapons.  I think even with insurance the Malarone was still several hundred dollars for me.  You would think the government could secure it at a cheap rate though.  The only side effects I had was heart burn if I didn't take it with food.  

I wonder if there is any cure for douchecanoe syndrome.... like an anticoolaid? 

2 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Here is his most recent tweet, a re-tweet. Do you suppose he's feeling the heat from his Santa tweet? 

IMG_2399.PNG

I hope he feels the heat for every stupid thing he tweets. 

I wonder if there is any cure for douchecanoe syndrome.... like an anticoolaid? 

I don't think there is a cure, getting off the koolaid will help with symptoms but it is a chronic disorder.

I was totally pissed off when I found out. But at the same time I was relieved because I was one of those kids who was kinda...scared of Santa. The whole coming down a chimney in the middle of the night did not set well with me! Felt the same way about the tooth fairy. Some weird chic/being...leaving money under my pillow. Just childhood stuff that's funny now. I would never tell other kids that Santa or the Easter Bunny are not real. Too be fair...there are some mean ass kids doing the same thing Derick is doing. 

7 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Well, it is true in his case :pb_lol:

I was about to say....isn't Derrick younger than I am (I'm 28)?

Even leaving that aside, yo, Derrick - you aren't exactly holding the front line on this 'job' business, are you?

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jill, after midwife training, said that Jubilee had blue eyes, when they would still be fused shut.

In the words of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer", " a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

What color eyes do Jimbob and Michelle have? Are they both blue? What about the duggarlings- are they all or the majority of them blue? Maybe she is just assuming Jubliee had blue eyes because both her parents have blue eyes. Most people wrongly assume that two blue eyed parents can only make babies with blue eyes.  And as this is Jill I don't expect her to even begin to grasp the concept of genetics. 

I have also read accounts of babies born as miscarriages or born sleeping being born with their eyes or mouths fully or just partially open. 

46 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

What color eyes do Jimbob and Michelle have? Are they both blue? What about the duggarlings- are they all or the majority of them blue? Maybe she is just assuming Jubliee had blue eyes because both her parents have blue eyes. Most people wrongly assume that two blue eyed parents can only make babies with blue eyes.  And as this is Jill I don't expect her to even begin to grasp the concept of genetics. 

Two blue Eyed parents can only have blue Eyed kids. It's a recesive trait.

Sorry my phone had a fit! It's more likely that blue eyed parents will have blue eyed children but it's not guaranteed. Genetics is very complicated and likelihood does not always mean it will be. Jessa for example has green or hazel eyes to the best of my knowledge.

28 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Two blue Eyed parents can only have blue Eyed kids. It's a recesive trait.

I thought there was something like a two percent chance for brown eyes?

My mother had brown eyes and my father has green eyes. The three of us had hazel, green, green.

My mother had one dominant gene, for brown, which was expressed in her brown eyes, but passed along her recessive gene, for blue or green, to all three of us. My dad, having only the recessive gene, passed along his green/blue to all three of us. 

Mom always wanted a brown eyed blonde child. She got two blondes, eventually. We were all born with Dad's red hair. But the eyes were all light.

As a Jew, my earliest memory of Santa was in preschool. I was probably 3 or 4, and Santa was coming to the class for kids to sit on his lap. I remember understanding that Santa wasn't there for me, but he was there for the other kids. I wish I could remember the conversation my parents must have had with me that made me understand that. Even though I wasn't supposed to, I took a picture on his lap to feel included (not from the most religiously diverse area and was likely the only Jewish child in the class). Even at that age though I remember I understood that Santa was a pretty big deal to most children, just not us. And that seemed okay, and was taught to never spoil

I do remember also being around 9 years old and sitting with the "big" eighth graders on the school bus where they were talking about Santa. One kid looked at me as if seeing me there for the first time and was like "I'm so sorry! Do you believe in Santa!?" And I just looked at them and said "I'm Jewish"...and they all laughed and thought that was so funny (not laughing at me...I think i said it in a sassy like DUH way).

I married someone who is a big kid at heart and still believes in Santa, as in the spirit of him at Christmastime. When we decide to one day hopefully have children, I know we are going to have to be super creative to be respectful of our differing opinions. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived