IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the Shower Rack- Part 21

samurai_sarah

How people choose to let their kids celebrate Christmas or any holiday is a family matter, and none my business. I respect the traditions of others and like learning from them.

However, I don't like candles in my house. I prefer flameless candles. The reason? I have a cat and he likes knocking things over.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RosyDaisy said:

However, I don't like candles in my house. I prefer flameless candles. The reason? I have a cat and he likes knocking things over.

We do the electric candoliers at the window in our place. They look like this, but they only have three "candles".

VINTAGE_MOLDED_PLASTIC_LIGHT_CANDOLIERS_BOXED_FIVE_CANDLES_PARAMOUNT.jpeg

Eye colour is regulated by 6 independent genes. The combination of said genes gives the different fenotypes of the human population, ranging from black to green to hazel to blue and all of the dufferent tonalities that we can see every day. If a couple has blue eyes (and i mean true blue eyes, not light green that looks like blue) they can and will only have blue eyed children. Of course this is also a trait affect ed by the enviroment, but the effect it has will be mínima and will only vary the tone.

Source: Class on genetics of population against mendelian traits

20 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

How people choose to let their kids celebrate Christmas or any holiday is a family matter, and none my business. I respect the traditions of others and like learning from them.

We have birds, so no candles, unless power outtage or something of the like.

Re: Jill and the "baby blue eyes" thing - she may just have meant that Jubilee, being a baby, obviously had blue eyes?  (I'm pretty sure that not all babies are actually born blue-eyed, but it is a very common belief.)

Regarding Santa:

Where I live children are told the gifts are from Santa Claus or some kind of Baby Jesus mixed with angelic features. I remember that almost every child new that those characters weren't really real at first grade (age 5-7). I mean, when the first noticed that Santa/Baby Jesus-Angel was indeed not the gift bringer but the parents of course they would tell their friends when the topic comes up. Children often don't have that kind of filter. And when they can read they will figure out by them self even faster. So a lot of people my age admit that knew what was going on pretty early. They just choose to stick with the concept because it is indeed nice. If you choose to tell a lie you always have the danger to be exposed. Not even on purpose or because someone is mean.

Is it necessary to make a tweet like that? No. But I don't see the problem. Thousands of people spread this exact message on their social media, talking to each other on the street, even the TV program might tell it. It is not their problem your children might discover you lied to them.

My bet is that Derick and Jill are very upset that they are not expecting or about something else. His grumpiness is clearly on a new level.

I would hope that children who still believe in Santa wouldn't be on Twitter to see Derick's tweet, but it still makes me mad. it reminds me of this evangelist preacher who was recently taking videos of himself going to malls to tell kids in line to see Santa that he isn't real 

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/12/evangelist-preacher-tells-children-santa-isnt-real-as-they-queue-at-mall-grotto-6316829/

Sorry if this was posted already, but it disgusts me.

I'm agnostic, but I still celebrate Christmas for the traditions and my son still believes  in Santa at 9. 

Christmas was never celebrated for Jesus or Christianity in my family. None of my close family is religious. we use Christmas as a time to celebrate family and feeling grateful for each other. 

Santa is magical and fun for most kids. Finding out Santa isnt real can be a little disappointing, but I don't know anyone personally who was damaged by finding out the truth. I honestly get a little offended by people telling me it's "bad that I'm lying" to my child. I 

2 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

We do the electric candoliers at the window in our place. They look like this, but they only have three "candles".

VINTAGE_MOLDED_PLASTIC_LIGHT_CANDOLIERS_BOXED_FIVE_CANDLES_PARAMOUNT.jpeg

One of the things I got when we kids went through our mom's house dividing up her stuff was my dad's candoliers/candles.  I have them in every window in the front of the house and should have enough to put in all our windows including the sunroom next year.  Our sunroom will get renovated next year.

Just now, PennySycamore said:

One of the things I got when we kids went through our mom's house dividing up her stuff was my dad's candoliers/candles.  I have them in every window in the front of the house and should have enough to put in all our windows including the sunroom next year.  Our sunroom will get renovated next year.

We haven't been able to put ours up this year because we just moved into a new place, but maybe I can convince the rest of the family to have them up at other times of the year once things get settled. :)

I'm still creeped out that he tweeted "Modest is hottest".  So judgmental and gross, I also need brain-bleach cos he said told us what he finds "hot" BLERGH.

I think judging from the tweets over the last week or so there is either trouble in Dillard paradise or there is something weird going on in his head. Also, as an RD I wanna give him some Ensure lol. 

Maybe he is just upset that he isn't in Central America, preaching in bad Spanish to Catholics that have never here or Jesus. In CA he can see himself as special, a savior of souls. In Arkansas, he is just that guy who married into the weird family with too many kids. He is probably bored out of his mind and Jill is probably thrilled. She gets to be at home near her parents, doesn't have to worry about shower racks and she has her unemployed husband all to herself. 

52 minutes ago, eandre31 said:

Santa is magical and fun for most kids. Finding out Santa isnt real can be a little disappointing, but I don't know anyone personally who was damaged by finding out the truth. I honestly get a little offended by people telling me it's "bad that I'm lying" to my child. I 

In case that was directed to my post:

I am not judging you because you tell your children Santa is real. Everyone makes little (and big) lies and I know no parents that never lied to their children. I am not sure how harmful this might be in individual cases, but this is the responsibility of the parents who know their children. I am just saying that you might not be angry with someone else because he outed the lie. It is not as if he approached children on a personal level and talked to them. That would be a whole other story and downright creepy. If a child finds out (no matter how), own it and talk about it. I saw some nice ideas in the thread that I will hopefully remember when our children realise that  the Baby-Jesus-Angel character is indeed not bringing our presents. 

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Cats also have an intuitive sense of what could cause the most damage/or what is really expensive when it comes to knocking things over as well.

I live with two feline headships and this is my experience.

I had one friend whose mother had to sit her down in seventh grade and tell her Santa wasn't real because she just wasn't getting there on her own and none of her friends said anything bc we didn't want to spoil it for her lol 

8 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Hide contents

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 2.30.08 PM.png

Not signed in

I told him interesting that HE should say that.

Isn't there a biblical saying that goes something like "judge not, lest ye be judged, though"?

He might want to keep that in mind.

Jill making a post about the anniversary of Jubilee being stillborn would not have annoyed me if she hadn't ignored the fact it was Josie's birthday as well. Josie had to fight to stay alive and you'd think her sister would at least acknowledge her birthday. 

Also, if you choose not to let your kid believe in santa it's up to you. Don't spoil it for other kids. My cousins 5 yr old got told santa wasn't real of another kid at school, he got really upset. 

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Catholics that have never here or Jesus

Huh ? Catholics that have never heard of Jesus, no no no. I am and I have.

4 hours ago, meee said:

Re: Jill and the "baby blue eyes" thing - she may just have meant that Jubilee, being a baby, obviously had blue eyes?  (I'm pretty sure that not all babies are actually born blue-eyed, but it is a very common belief.)

Jubilee, being deceased & all & only 20 weeks, would not have had her eyes open.

I was hoping for my second baby to have chocolate brown eyes like her daddy. So when she was born I took her over to the natural light in the window & looked-sure enough, they were brown. I was always told all babies have blue eyes.

12 minutes ago, sansan said:

I'm Catholic and someone who was trying to "educate" me once told me that Catholics worship Mary instead of Jesus. I was like "I'm sorry....what?" 

I was too surprised at the time to make a snarky comment 

25 minutes ago, sansan said:

No, you've heard of Wrong Jesus.  Let Jill and Derick tell you about RIGHT Jesus. 

7 minutes ago, SuchABlessing said:

I'm Catholic and someone who was trying to "educate" me once told me that Catholics worship Mary instead of Jesus. I was like "I'm sorry....what?" 

I was too surprised at the time to make a snarky comment 

Somebody needs to tell Derick about the difference between latria, dull and hyperdulia.  Latria is adoration or worship and is reserved for the persons of the Holy Trinity.  Dulia is the veneration accorded the saint  and hyperdulia is the veneration due to the Blessed Virgin (Mary).  Dulia is related to the word doula and implies servanthood.  Protestants, even of the evangelical variety venerate their own people like, well, Charles Spurgeon or John Calvin.  I like how the Episcopal Church considers some people, e.g., Thomas Merton, to be saints even though they have no been canonized.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived