IGNORED

Jana's future part 2

samurai_sarah

18 hours ago, season of life said:

I live in New York with my parents and I cannot imagine the rent for people living in Manhattan. A friend of mine had a cousin who lived in Manhattan and she paid $1,000 a month in rent, something she could afford because she split the $4,000 cost with 3 other girls.

I'm in a quieter area where it's more affordable, but the rent sucks (my parents own their home). 

holy shit....$4k rent???? i thought living with my sister on $1,400 rent was an expensive split and we want to move somewhere cheaper....like i can't even right now

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, naatashamaru said:

holy shit....$4k rent???? i thought living with my sister on $1,400 rent was an expensive split and we want to move somewhere cheaper....like i can't even right now

Manhattan…it is so crazy expensive there.  

I am in metro Atlanta, a lot less expensive.

In my area of LA (Louisiana not Los Angeles) $350,000 would buy you a mansion! Even in the larger cities it will get you a very nice, very large home.

I wonder if Jana is happy (as happy as a fundie woman can be based on her life experience and expectations) and content to stay in her current position. In many ways she has reached the pinnacle of successful fundie by raising eleventy children and running a household. To be honest I cannot imagine why she would want to leave. From my perspective she has more benefits than burdens of her lifestyle:

-children to love/nurture that she didn't have to carry or birth 

-enormous budget (no beans and rice for her and "her kids") from TLC and Boob that I would imagine she is given quite a bit of freedom to purchase food, clothes, etc. 

-Giant house that is new/not moulding with a realistic amount of space for the number of people living there 

-help raising her brood and running the house (even if it is from her younger sisters - it is more than Jill would have had in CA or Jinger will have in Texas)

If I was Jana and that was my set up I would stay. The alternative is to move into a tiny house away from family support, birth a dozen kids and not have decent help from sister moms for at least 8 years, live off of one smaller income, and be joyfully available to a husband, all of which frankly sounds awful compared to what she has now. As they say - better the devil you know than the one you don't.  

8 hours ago, naatashamaru said:

In Munich an 800 sqft apparment will be around 1800 $ US rent, so 1600 €. this is for a "good" area in the city. If you want to move to one of the best areas it can be a couple of hundreds more. But there is nothing like Manhatten or London!!!

21 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

Manhattan…it is so crazy expensive there.  

I am in metro Atlanta, a lot less expensive.

i live in Decatur...where are you??

12 hours ago, naatashamaru said:

Just across the Chattahoochee in Cobb.

I hope she has something in the works that will make her happy. If she's a good seamstress, why not make the tattoo parlor into an alterations shop? I'm not a business person by any means but that seems more likely to succeed than a decorating business. Lots of people need pants hemmed and what have you. I'm curious about the plan for that space. 

@Purrl-this what I keep telling hubs! I show him houses where he wants to live-crappy little house with no land and too much money and then where I want to live (by family in LA-your LA)- nice house, land & low dollar.

1 hour ago, CatchThatCow said:

I hope she has something in the works that will make her happy. If she's a good seamstress, why not make the tattoo parlor into an alterations shop? I'm not a business person by any means but that seems more likely to succeed than a decorating business. Lots of people need pants hemmed and what have you. I'm curious about the plan for that space. 

That's why my mom and grandma insisted that I learned to do alterations. No matter what happened I could support myself with that skill. I did just that during college.  Jana could have a nice nest egg doing that. A decorating business could fly too though. She and JD could be the Fixer Upper duo of NWA. 

Poor girl has been baking all day.  Like commercial amounts of baking.

I like to cook and bake, but dayam.  

In Toronto, a nice bachelor studio apartment would be about $1300 CDN ($1000US) and a nice one bedroom about $1500CDN in a newish, downtown accessible apartment. You can find nice, less expensive options in older homes or farther from the core, but not in a high-rise.The average detached home sold for over a million Canadian last year, so $750 000 US. It's the second most expensive city in Canada (Vancouver is 1st). So, almost no young couple will ever afford a house in the city. That's why there are zillions of new condos and sprawling new subdivisions. If any one was interested in Toronto real estate :P

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

I am "assuming" that Jana cooking alone maybe as an escape and Joy is busy doing something else. 

I have to wonder what Jana listens to on that "boom" box just above the cookies. 

Some of these rent prices are freaking me out. I live in Nowhere, Middle America and I rent a two bedroom house with a garage w/one other person and we each pay 300/mo. I'm going to need to move to a larger city when I go to grad school and I'm worried about housing. 

14 hours ago, sunshine said:

I am "assuming" that Jana cooking alone maybe as an escape and Joy is busy doing something else. 

Joy is courting, therefore, her new jurisdiction is carrying around her cell phone to text and facetime with Austin all the time. She no longer has to think about or do anything else.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Joy is courting, therefore, her new jurisdiction is carrying around her cell phone to text and facetime with Austin all the time. She no longer has to think about or do anything else.

No wonder she started courting at age 18. I would too if it means getting out of housework.

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Actually, she is incapable of thinking about or doing anything else. Remember? Once courting, their brains disengage. It's some sort of biological, exclusively  Duggar syndrome. 

13 hours ago, sansan said:

I have to wonder what Jana listens to on that "boom" box just above the cookies. 

I would like to think she's rocking out to some Kacey Musgraves but she's far too liberal for them .  

I've never understood how these girls can go from doing every chore to the minute they're in a courtship they forget everything :anyone:

3 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

I would like to think she's rocking out to some Kacey Musgraves but she's far too liberal for them .  

I've never understood how these girls can go from doing every chore to the minute they're in a courtship they forget everything :anyone:

I was in a two week love affair and I got distracted from my job. Yes, a job that I need to pay the bills. The reason could be that have been that I was not in a relationship for many years, but sadly, I can relate.

20 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I was in a two week love affair and I got distracted from my job. Yes, a job that I need to pay the bills. The reason could be that have been that I was not in a relationship for many years, but sadly, I can relate.

I can get that distracted just thinking about someone....so yeah, I totally get it.

Besides, any Duggar female who is courting must be preparing to be joyfully available to her husband once they are married. Constantly texting, facetime, etc, must be the female preparing for this. Otherwise, how can you go from helping to run your parents' house to being joyfully available? You no longer need to practice making sandwiches, because anyone can do that!

Jana...all speculation, so no one needs to get into a rage.

She knows her dad's rules on picking men.

She has seen the following marriages up close and personal:

her parent's marriage- yuck

her paternal GPs-

her older brother's - no one wants a marriage like that

and maybe from a distance, her aunt's- a failure.

Her sister's are playing house- not much different from her own life.

Why would Jana want that for her life????

Better to wait it out.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:36 PM, naatashamaru said:

Decatur produced one of my favorite people ever. I now think you're super cool. :my_biggrin:

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived