IGNORED

Counting On Season Two- Part 4

samurai_sarah

I'm just now watching the episode from the 4th. I'm sure you've discussed it, and I'll go back and read, but right now it appears to be a Joseph Duggar dating profile video, complete with testimonials. I'd like him to consider some dietary changes, to improve skin tone and continuing adult development. I've seen great improvement recently in my 22 year-old, who was never fed much junk as a kid, but only recently took up an interest in food groups and nutritional elements.

I'm on this week's episode now, and my 19 year-old has come in. He asked about Jeremy, "So is that guy ready to take the name of Duggar now?"

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

And I hate being called "Mrs" . Probably something to do with having grown up in Germany, where calling someone "Miss/Fräulein" is old-fashioned, bordering on rude. "Frau" used to denote married status, but is now the common form of address for women, so I like "Ms/Frau".

Each to their own. :)

I'm a Ms. all the way if you're not addressing me by my first name. But who knows? Maybe if I go back for my PhD, I can be Dr. and dispense with a gendered title altogether!

On October 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

On we're somewhere in SA and I totally didn't recognize Derrick.  Wow - that HAIR!  He looks like one of the Hudson Brothers!!

He's shaving because he doesn't want to be cultural. Or something.  Jill is packing by taking things off the shelves and sorting through some things.  Jill is wondering what they should bring home and what they should leave there - Derricks mom said leave stuff there to make it easier on yourselves - what you need we'll buy when you get back.

Yeah - don't leave stuff because you were supposed to be there helping people and maybe someone there can use baby clothes and books.  Selfish grifters - looks like that hasn't changed...just his hair.

Exactly!

And Saint Jill gets a newly furnished palace upon her return, I seem to have again missed the reason why... Are they actually gonna stay in the US for good now? Their previous mansion was full of gifts and shit they just left behind, so I don't get it. This frivolousness really bothers me. I think that even if they didn't have cameras around and need a storyline for Jana they would still be doing this project for them. Sorry I'm just still confused about the purpose. :confused2: 

3 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Exactly!

And Saint Jill gets a newly furnished palace upon her return, I seem to have again missed the reason why... Are they actually gonna stay in the US for good now? Their previous mansion was full of gifts and shit they just left behind, so I don't get it. This frivolousness really bothers me. I think that even if they didn't have cameras around and need a storyline for Jana they would still be doing this project for them. Sorry I'm just still confused about the purpose. :confused2: 

Not according to their latest blog post, in which Derick rambles on about returning to Sintral America.

I suffered through this boring episode.  I don't buy the surprise engagement.  If you look at their feet when he takes a knee you can see they are standing on a mark.  I hate this show.  And I hated seeing that bitch michelle.  Jeremy's grandma was cute.  A giant WTF to Jinger when she turned to the side when Jeremy's grandpa hugged her.  Sickos!  The lot of them.  Bleh!

I kind of thought so before but after yesterday's episode I'm convinced Jinger and Jeremy have kissed before. There were just so many moments where it would have been natural for them to kiss and of course they didn't but it just seemed like they stopped themselves because they remembered they weren't alone. What do you guys think?

And Anna really did look pregnant! Have there been recent pictures of her or how do we know she isn't pregnant and huge by now? I know they posted a picture on her and Smuggar's anniversary but couldn't that have been taken a few months before the actual date?

My thoughts on this week's episode

1. We should now call the happy couple Thurston and Lovely! Brilliant. You young whippersnappers need to rush to YouTube and watch Giligan's Island.

2.  Anna Preggers (its been explained). I hope when they were first alone she took his weanny and tied a knot it and broke out into a chorus of "Hurts so Good." bwahahaha

3. Michelle is still wearing that horrible green maternity smock? UGH. Come on lady!! Mrs. Keller updated her glasses, you can update your "look".

4. Hopefully now when people are reminded of Finger wanting to live  in a city they know she meant say, Little Rock or Fayetteville. Not NYC with it's DIE-verse-it-ty

5. Bin-Bob.....enough with him. Show the brothers more

6. Derrick looks like the Caveman on the Pebbles and Bam-Bam cartoon show.

7. Not cooking/making meatballs. Who cares? She'll soon be eating left over youth group pizza and casseroles brought over for church staff lunch. Then hurling it all back up with morning sickness.

8. My money is on they are already married--remember when (Jill? Jessa?) went to get the wedding license wearing her ring? Yeah.

9. Guesthouse vs McMansion furniture.  Didn't they just take it all back to the auction and resell it? I see no harm in that. Mostly out of style anyway.

2 hours ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Dammit Freejinger, you made me laugh while reading all this and I peed my pants. (And I thought the worst part of being super pregnant during Counting On would be missing out on the "BAAAABE" drinking game...)

so you missed the lovey part because that was priceless

58 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Exactly!

there is no purpose except for the dumpster I am sure was used for their previous crap 

Forgot one thing.

I do hope TLC forces them to use Sonny & Cher singing "I Got You Babe" for part of the wedding music.

3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Did anyone catch Mr. Vuolo telling Mrs. Vuolo to give Spurgeon a toy and she responds with "I will in a minute." I was thinking, right on. She was enjoying showing the spurgeon the book and was content in the moment. Michelle would have dropped everything if Jim Bob had asked.

And Grandma Vuolo is awesome. Enough said.

I'm thinking this family will be good for Jinger.

Bwahhhh- Michelle engaged with a grand baby and JB also paying said child some attention. Surely you jest.

On October 12, 2016 at 11:03 AM, alba said:

Not according to their latest blog post, in which Derick rambles on about returning to Sintral America.

That's what I thought, so why bother with updating the house (with "new" thrift store furniture)? I guess sprucing it up for Jill must just be an excuse for a Jana project, and I wish she could actually have a job where she got paid to renovate or stage homes if she enjoys it.

Jeremy is my new favorite Duggar. Seeing him with his friends-- it just seemed normal. Even if they remain Fundie, I have hope for their future children. 

Actually, scratch that, I like Grandma Vuolo the best. I really hope they feature her in the wedding episode too.

6 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

And I hate being called "Mrs" . Probably something to do with having grown up in Germany, where calling someone "Miss/Fräulein" is old-fashioned, bordering on rude. "Frau" used to denote married status, but is now the common form of address for women, so I like "Ms/Frau".

Each to their own. :)

To me Miss is what you would call a young girl. So basically, if you are calling me miss you are calling me a little girl.

Everyone is different. :)

On 10/6/2016 at 3:21 PM, montyollie said:

I stand alone, it seems, as a female bodied adult person who is horrified by the use of "girl" to describe adults.  I don't do it and I won't.  I hate infantilization.  Makes me crazy.  Bad enough that patriarchal shit makes grown women objects to be tossed from daddy to hubby but still.

I find the term offensive.  I use  girl to describe a female bodied child up to about 10.  Then a tween, then a preteen, then a teen than a young woman then a woman.  MHO.

I know this is old now, but I wanted to add my thoughts. I partially agree. I am 51, and cannot remember the last time I thought of myself as a girl. I love being a woman, and I (really a lot) love men. If I were in a position to take up with a lover, I'd want one who thought of me fully as "woman."

I dislike infantilization of much of our language, but I won't tell others they can't do it. I just can't, myself. I can't even bear "veggies." Ugh. But people may do as they like, and I will not make a face or do anything else to make them feel bad about it. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable because of my differing way of seeing these things. I do think that in general, thinking of women as girls is...arcane. I'm not so sure I think it's patriarchal at all times, though. People don't think of themselves that way most of the time, and I like to think well of people if I can. I suspect they think they're retaining fun or something this way.

I often refer to my daughters as "my girls," though they are in their twenties. However, I still do think of them otherwise as women. I'm proud of the women they are. I didn't tend to think of them as women until they were 19 or 20 or so, but I don't know when they thought of themselves that way.

1 hour ago, Adrienne83 said:

To me Miss is what you would call a young girl. So basically, if you are calling me miss you are calling me a little girl.

Everyone is different. :)

It's generational and regional, too. So some people may use a term even if they dont love it simply because (ironically) they're worried an alternative would be rude. I don't hear the term Miss often now, mostly Ms. unless someone specifies Mrs. Personally speaking, I'm a happily married Ms. :my_biggrin:

Miss vs Ms vs Mrs is the whole reason for my username!

My partner is german and usually has a very good grasp of english, but this one baffled him. He was filling out a form that needed my info. He was telling me all the info he was putting in and when it got to "title" he was going to put "Mrs" in. I told him no, he had to tick "Ms". When he asked why he couldn't tick "Mrs" I told him he is the only one who can make me one (he is rather anti marrying!) and that as I'm not a child "Miss" is completely out of the question and "Ms" it is, thankyouverymuch!!!! (As @samurai_sarah said he thought "Mrs/Frau" was for adults and not just married women)

A day or two later I finally signed up to FJ and was still amused/annoyed enough be it to use it as my name.

On 10/10/2016 at 8:05 PM, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

More like girls run and hide because they're not exactly hot and let's be serious Josh Duggar didn't help their chances. Marjorie split real quick after that news broke.

I think it's more the issue that "women" is too "sexy" for them. "Girls" has "innocent" undertones to it in fundie speak. And let's be serious they're all grown man children anyway! 

Okay, I don't know how I came to quote this, but it's cool, because I agree. If you all love being a girl, that's super fine. But this is truth to power, or rather, truth to who holds it in that environment.

What I really meant to say is that in my understanding, you write Mr, Mrs, and Ms, in British English, as well as Dr, but in American English, we write Mr., Mrs., and Dr., but still Ms with no period, because it isn't an abbreviation. I remember when Ms became the fashion, and it struck me as the wrong way to tackle the thing, but I was pretty young then. I wanted people to do away with them all altogether, not invent ones that stood for nothing. But nowadays, I have no strong feeling about it one way or the other. People call me both Mrs. and Ms, and I answer. I don't even complain when they say Mrs. Firstname Lastname, though that used to denote widowhood. I think of my first name as an offering, though, that I give to you myself.

On the whole Miss/Ms/Mrs topic -

I tend to default to either Miss (for younger women) or Ma'am (for those older than me) when first meeting someone because I don't want to be rude and use the incorrect term. After that, if I see you again, I just use the term or name you requested. But that first meeting is tough because you just can't know what someone prefers until they tell you.

Its especially helpful over the phone because you can't try and look at the other person's ring finger for guidance.

Personally, I didn't care about titles before marriage. Still don't really care much to be honest. I enjoy being Mrs. Raptor, but I'm not going to maul someone for using the wrong title by mistake. As long as the other person is attempting to be polite that's all that counts to me. 

I was working with some middle and high school-aged kids this weekend, a bunch of them called me "ma'am". I'm a recent college graduate, so that was positively bizarre. Sweet kids, though- I knew they were just trying to be polite. I won't judge an eleven-year-old for not knowing the social connotations of "miss" vs. "ma'am". That said, I prefer "Miss Elliott" because I'm a history buff and I like that little connotation to the past. I can definitely see why people think of it as arcane and patriarchal, though.

Jinger is definitely super annoying and Jeremy makes me want to bang my head against things. So same thing as every other courtship, it's so sickly sweet. 

And on the off topic conversation, I prefer Ms. I think even if I should ever get married I'd stick with Ms. Personal opinion and I agree Miss seems young but to each their own for sure! 

22 hours ago, calimojo said:

I only saw one brief scene so far,  the kayak scene and I just had to laugh when Jessa said they had to keep an eye on them.  Like seriously?  Are they worried they are going to have sex in a kayak, on a public lake or river, in broad daylight?

This cracked me up - reminds me of a classic Canadian joke line about American beer being like making love in a canoe - f£cking close to water... Drumroll (and eyeroll) I know a few people who have tried it out in a canoe (usually while quite blasted on Canadian beer) and it never ended well. Can't imagine the inspiration and agility it would take to attempt to get it on in a kayak :coke:

In my neck of the woods, it sometimes depends on if you use their first name or last name. For example if you were talking about your neighbor, say her name was Anna Smith, and she was married you could call her Mrs. Smith or to be less formal but still acknowledging respect, you could call her Miss Anna. I called a lot of my adult neighbors by Miss First Name even if they were married. For example, Miss Donna and Mr. Tyler as a way of showing respect, however I hardly ever used the words ma'am or sir.

I tick off Miss on the boxes. I'm not married and Miss Margaret has a lovely Victorian flavor when seen in print. 

However when I marry I intend to keep my last name. I would be legally Ms but I wouldn't care if some people defaulted to Mrs Husbandslastname informally. 

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived