IGNORED

Counting On Season Two

Coconut Flan

PSA w/regard to the current conversation - please check out any available employer assistance you may have, or free/discounted online services, and have an updated will prepared! Another forum I frequent was just discussing this, and people shared how important it was to have a will, along with things like a power of attorney or medical proxy, in place for that "just in case" occurrence. (I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on tv - just passing along some options I read in the other place!)

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just take a second to mention how incredibly dull Counting On is. The descriptions my TV provider gives are, "Jill and Derick do mission work. Jeremy has a meal with the family." If I wanted to see obnoxious family dinners with twenty-odd people, well, Thanksgiving's in a few months. It'll even have the "when are you getting married" questions. I don't need to watch Counting On at all! :pb_rollseyes:

So true, Im so sick of the editing. in each episode its only like 5 minutes of actual stuff. The rest is just repeating the same talking heads over and over again "teasing" what they're going to show later in the episode. 

Did we really need all that build up about baby proofing? 

Plus its all staged, if it wasn't before, now they're not even hiding it. 

On 8/29/2016 at 0:06 PM, mpheels said:

I'm going to go out on limb, and suggest that the Neilers probably haven't had a lot of meaningful exposure to Black people in real life. As of the 2010 Census, Springdale was a whopping 1.8% Black. Fayetteville is 6% Black. 

I'm jumping ahead a bit, but I agree with @Geechee Girl. I will also add that adopting a Black child (or any child) without learning the basics of how to care for their particular needs, is just shitty. 

Someone asked what Jill and Derrick are going to do next?  Perhaps jump onto the Preacher Jeremy in Texas bandwagon.  They can start a new Duggar compound in Texas and help him do whatever it is he's doing--as long as Derricks home for lunch and dinner and Bin has time to develop his rap career.....and of course the women -folk will just continue to pop out babies as they compete with each other in the Pregnancy-selfies-counting-on contest.

26 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

I'm jumping ahead a bit, but I agree with @Geechee Girl. I will also add that adopting a Black child (or any child) without learning the basics of how to care for their particular needs, is just shitty. 

I'm feeling really insecure. I'm about to take in an 18-yo girl who is deaf (with cochlear implants) because her family is unsupportive. I'm hoping I can help her, whether or not I understand her specific needs. I'm going to try, anyway, since what she really needs is a place to stay for her senior year, and perhaps beyond.

Mr. Museum and I don't have kids yet, but we do have life insurance on each other. As for assets, he told me if he dies, everything he owns goes to me, but I don't think I appreciate being willed his old PlayStation 2.

5 minutes ago, AlysonRR said:

I'm feeling really insecure. I'm about to take in an 18-yo girl who is deaf (with cochlear implants) because her family is unsupportive. I'm hoping I can help her, whether or not I understand her specific needs. I'm going to try, anyway, since what she really needs is a place to stay for her senior year, and perhaps beyond.

Congratulations! I assume you have read some about what you do know about her? And probably at least the basics of how to care for her implant? 

In my opinion, hair care is a need. If I was adopting a child with fine hair, I would be sure not to put a bunch of oil in their hair, as I would for many black children. I would also wash it much more often. This is just an example, but I think it's irresponsible to adopt a child if you're not going to learn how to care for their specific needs. Just a bit of research would tell someone that hair care is especially important for Black people. 

Sorry Josiah, the part where the instructor walks around with you and quizzes you is called a pre-trip.  You do one EVERY TIME you drive!   I'm scared of him being on the road.  

I hate when they cram a lot into one episode even though they probably don't have enough interesting stuff to show so they cram a lot in. My summary on my tv guide says "jeremy has first meal with family, jinger taps jill and derick for courtship advice. Meanwhile Ben and Jessa talk about his plan for a youth outreach; and the older dugger siblings take wilderness survival training."

Tonight's episode: "Its official!" Jeremy has a meal with the family, and they call Jill and Derick for courtship advice; Ben and Jessa discuss his plan for youth outreach; the older siblings try wilderness survival

Really? What a random mush of bullshit!

They left out - The Duggars pretend that Josh doesnt exist while still loving his kids.

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It's

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jill-duggar-husband-derick-and-i-are-at-higher-risk-for-crime-w436952

My favorite Quote from Dumber - 

“If we were back in the States, we wouldn’t be talking about, ‘Now if you die, what am I supposed to do from there? If you don’t come home after you are supposed to [at] this hour, then what do I do?’

I imagine families with spouses in the military/police force/fire department have also had these conversations. 

According to the ebul US guvment: 

There is no information to suggest that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted by criminals.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Tonight's episode: "Its official!" Jeremy has a meal with the family, and they call Jill and Derick for courtship advice; Ben and Jessa discuss his plan for youth outreach; the older siblings try wilderness survival

Really? What a random mush of bullshit!

They left out - The Duggars pretend that Josh doesnt exist while still loving his kids.

and notice all of a sudden they are at TTH 

and nothing new in the enhanced episode except a bunch of Josiah and JD stuff since when is it important to have a heart for the gospel - jinge is accepting 

they can MAKE this in half an hour 

we don't need an hour :D

19 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

@mpheels I'm not calling you out, but this does bring up a couple of points. In this internet age, not having exposure to black people isn't an excuse that holds water. The Napiers chose a Ugandan child to add to their family. It is their duty to groom her from head to toe until she's of age to do it herself. Hypothetically, would a black family get the same pass if their white adopted child had unkempt hair? (btw, this query isn't directed towards anyone in particular)

Regarding the demographics, it's a shame this girl won't most likely see people who look like her in the current environment. I don't see the benefit of growing up racially isolated. I often wonder if adoptive parents of black children really not consider what would be in the best interest of the child. 

If I knew how to make teens do as they're told, I'd be rich. I'm not too familiar with boys hair beyond my cousins who loved fades or cornrows. Going to a black barbershop is a right of passage in the black community. The culture of the black salon/barbershop is more than just the hair. The men can show him what's up and how to care for it between appointments. I suggest seeking one out. First y'all should learn what's his hair type. The web presence of the natural hair movement is dominated by women. I'll hit up my girl to find out if there are Inasta accts popular with her male friends. My searches weren't fruitful. However, I did find this blog, The Urban Gent. 

/snip

A black salon can only do so much. The hair needs to be maintained between visits. My social worker mama used to facilitate the black portion of a trans-racial adoption group. At the time, the program served black and Chinese adoptees. I've witnessed the mothers basically throwing their hands up and passing haircare off to others because it was too difficult for them to even try. My mama guided the parents into understanding that hair care can be a bonding experience. In addition, she taught that a child whose basic grooming needs are neglected, yet sees their parent doing the hair of the other siblings, can negatively impact the child's self-esteem. 

While I was a member of a fundie church a few years back, 3 sets of parents adopted Haitian girls. I turned them all on to the Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care blog. It looks like she closed the blog and turned her info into a book book, not a Jill Rodrigues "book" :my_wink: There are a few original hair tutorials she's left on YT. 

Thank y'all for hanging in there if you made it through this wall o' text. To those who quoted & mentioned me, hit me up if I omitted addressing your concerns from pages back.

I completely agree, and didn't intend my comment to be an excuse for the Napiers. More of an assessment that they don't know what they don't know. They are unconsciously incompetent, to borrow from learning theory. It is their responsibility to care for their child, and that includes her hair. I just suspect their world is so overwhelmingly white, both in day-to-day interactions and entertainment choices, they don't even know her hair can look different, so it hasn't occurred to them to seek out information. Perhaps some good will come of their TV appearances and one of the older Black women in the NW Arkansas region will reach out to them, perhaps through a church-based community group. Ben appears to have a genuine relationship with Flame - maybe one of the matriarchal figures in his life will speak up. 

Man, I usually think Jinger dresses quirky cute but I'm not into her baby proofing outfit. It looks ridiculous with sandals. Some outfits are not seasonally transitional.

Watching the preview of the new episode, Jinger and Jeremy just need to be alone in a room together and kiss already! They look so close to doing it each time I see them on camera together

Ben must love to lord over courtship over an older man 

even Spud doesn't believe this stuff 

ben and Jessa are sitting back and basking in the glow they are getting paid for this shit 

Jeremy talking...if he was in front of me talking, I'd zone out because of how he talks. Just something about how it I don't quite like. 

And Michelle is there? I heard her but don't see her 

edit: saw a sliver of her

Ben says he lost 10 pounds when met Jessa 

in one week 

Future Spoiler - Jinge will cook Italian with Jeremy's grandmother 

looking forward to that :D

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived