IGNORED

Bates Family Part 16 - Babystep Bates

samurai_sarah

25 minutes ago, imokit said:

The Paines were initally going to have as many as god gave them, after the miscarriages and Carson they changed to praying and saying they'd think about it and talk to doctors.  I imagine that the number of children they go on to have will be hugely influenced by this pregnancy, how easy it is for Erin to manage a baby and injections and a pregnancy and how safe the delivery goes.  If this is pregnancy is awful I can see them slowing down, if it goes well I predict the return of the baby train.

If she listens to God over doctors and has repeat placenta previa or severe hemorrhaging, she's going to end up with a doctor-ordered hysterectomy and no more babies, period. It's gotta be tough when your medical-reality and religious-beliefs don't line up, but no one needs to be a martyr here. I hope the "surprise" she and Chad had when they announced this pregnancy was legitimate because they were trying to prevent for a little while. Though, if that's the case, they're going to have to try a little harder. 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, imokit said:

The Paines were initally going to have as many as god gave them, after the miscarriages and Carson they changed to praying and saying they'd think about it and talk to doctors.  I imagine that the number of children they go on to have will be hugely influenced by this pregnancy, how easy it is for Erin to manage a baby and injections and a pregnancy and how safe the delivery goes.  If this is pregnancy is awful I can see them slowing down, if it goes well I predict the return of the baby train.

I hope their doctor convinces them that some form of spacing (whether naturally or otherwise) is the best option. I disagree vehemently with many of their beliefs, but I would really hate to see young children left without one of their parents.

Thanks @imokit. I thought that was the case, but wasn't positive.

I really hope this delivery isn't as tough as Carson's was. And I really really hope that they take whatever information their Doctor may have given them seriously going forward (if they didn't already.) Their belief system is messed up, but it would be horrible if something happened that was preventable.

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Should be going til the end of July.  Here's the planned episode schedule which I copied from Batesfam blog:

Sneak Peak Previews!

We are so excited to share the new episodes that will be airing in the month of July! 

The Big Chili
July 7, 2016
The Bates family performs at the annual Volunteer Fire Department Chili Fundraiser.

The Great Bates Clean-up
July 14, 2016
The Bates family does some spring cleaning with Kelly Jo leading the project; Gil gets sentimental about getting rid of things.

Bates say the darnedest things
July 21, 2016
Taking a look back and highlighting the funniest and wackiest things the Bates kids have said and done.

Birthdays and Boyfriends
July 28, 2016
Allie Jane and Carlin share a big birthday bash back in Florida; Kelly Jo and Gil meet Tori's boyfriend's family.

Please remember that the titles are subject to change so make sure that you tune into preview Tuesdays! 

Snark:

I HATE IT when people confuse "peak" and "peek." 

3 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Snark:

I HATE IT when people confuse "peak" and "peak." 

LOL- you mean "peak" and "peek", of course, I know, but this was a funny oops.

@QuiverDance,  I think you meant "peek" and "peak".  What I hates is Bates as a plural.  The correct plural of Bates is Bateses.  The episode title of the third episode should be "Bateses Say the Darndest Things" although I can't imagine any of the Bateses saying anything remotely amusing or witty.

Just now, QuiverDance said:

I HATE IT when people confuse "peak" and "peak." 

:tw_lol: 

Also no mention of Ashely. More evidence they're no more?

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@QuiverDance,  I think you meant "peek" and "peak".  What I hates is Bates as a plural.  The correct plural of Bates is Bateses.  The episode title of the third episode should be "Bateses Say the Darndest Things" although I can't imagine any of the Bateses saying anything remotely amusing or witty.

I actually have trouble remembering how you should make a last name ending in a -s plural. I write Bates when I truly mean Bateses on the forum. I do it so much but it feels unnatural to spell it the other way. I am gonna try harder to spell it right, lol.

I wish Erin stops after Brooklyn. Her medical issue is serious. Chad better be okay with it if Erin decides to limit their babies.

6 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

It's kind of funny to me that any time someone points out that the Duggar or Bates kids seem to be making steps away from how they were raised, people shout "there's no proof of that" and then then immediately start making assumptions in the opposite direction that there's no proof of. There is absolute proof Alyssa has moved away from some of the non-Fundie related beliefs she was raised with (clothing, mothers having a job), and some signs that she's moving away from the Fundie stuff (but no proof of that one.) So while I don't know for sure that she's leaving Fundiedom, you don't know for sure what Alyssa believed as a child or what she believes now. 

It's kind of funny to me that any time someone points out that over-optimism about the second generation is based on failed logic and lack of knowledge - it is met by "but I have absolute proof" and you are all big meanies!"  

Stating that you (general you because you aren't the only one) think that Alyssa is becoming less Fundie over, and over, and over again - doesn't make it true.  Not is it convincing.

I presume you meant Fundie (where I underlined) rather than "non-Fundie related" above?

No, as it has been explained many times before, clothing and hairstyles have nothing to do with being dyed in the wool Fundie.  Skirts-only just means that a father (Patriarch) has been convicted that the wife/daughters under his umbrella of protection should only wear skirts.  Women married to those Patriarchs will also be "convicted" to be skirts-only 99% of the time.  If the Patriarch doesn't care or likes the look of more modern clothing - why then his wife and daughters can be just convicted that it is OK to wear pants and tanktops.  Certainly Gothard liked long loose curls and skirts - but that is not reflective of the whole ugly movement.

Having a job:  many Fundie women have home-based jobs other than child birthing and rearing.  It is really not uncommon for them to work from home (see real estate licenses, MLMs, soap-making, essential oils, teaching music, and working in the family business.)  Alyssa is not working an independent job outside the home although she is accompanying John to his side-line cleaning business - and still under the umbrella of his protection.  Erin Paine is not an independent college or peripatetic music teacher - she is teaching piano in her home or almost certainly to "safe" IBLP kids in "safe" IBLP approved locations.

The only sure way to know either way is to sit an Alyssa-type down and ask about her beliefs - or for her to officially renounce the IBLP beliefs.

Until then, we have no way to know for sure.  If you think she has renounced Fundyism why not ask her about birth control, whether the Bible is inerrant, whether gays are bad, and whether abortion is murder on her social media?  She's a grown up and can answer.  She is an adult and a mother and can disagree with her parents.  Or she can continue sucking at the Bates Family brand/IBLP/UPTV teat - which indicates that she is still as Fundie as hell. :roll:

By the way, as I have stated many times before, there is nothing I would like more than to see any of the second generation make a run for it.  So far I've only seen sentimental wishful thinking about all of this and there is no proof - let alone absolute proof of anything!  

I'm not being mean - I am being realistic.

So it says they are going to meet Bobby's family. That tells me they don't already know his family. Which probably means he is not ATI/IBLP fundie. But the fact that they are agreeing to be on the show probably means they are fundie. Just not Gothard fundie. We suspected as much. Maybe they will tell us how they met. I'm guessing through mutual fundie friends or some sort of fundie conference that isn't ATI.

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So it says they are going to meet Bobby's family. That tells me they don't already know his family. Which probably means he is not ATI/IBLP fundie. But the fact that they are agreeing to be on the show probably means they are fundie. Just not Gothard fundie. We suspected as much. Maybe they will tell us how they met. I'm guessing through mutual fundie friends or some sort of fundie conference that isn't ATI.

(Regarding the bolded) I wouldn't bet on it.  They went to meet Brandon's parents in Chicago last season, and I believe the families had known each other for a long time.  Kelly did make a quick, easy-to-forget comment about it not being the first time they'd met, but it still seemed to be presented as two sets of parents who wanted to meet and get to know each other since their kids were getting serious.  Good plot for an episode and probably free travel for the Bateses.

I suspect that Bobby's family isn't ATI/IBLP, but it won't surprise me if they are.  I doubt the Bateses would have given Tori permission to court if they hadn't already met Bobby's family at least a couple of times and decided they approved.

I too would be surprised (not completely surprised, but fairly) if the families had never met. These courtships are usually preceded by months or years of families awkwardly going out of their way to "visit and fellowship" with another family so that a young soon-to-be couple can side eye each other and have more to think on while they pray on the possibility of a future relationship. Also seems to serve as a sort of sniff test to decide if the family has "godly" convictions. 

Derick is an exception but he still had to prayer partner up to JB for like a year just to chat Jill up.

14 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

You know you want that stuff if you gonna prayer partner up to boob!

I've always wondered what a prayer partner really does. I mean I've read the vague sort of cutesy descriptions. I have a friend from high school who recently posted about her desire for a godly prayer partner and message her if you are interested. I just don't really get how it works. Do you talk about other stuff? Do you say your prayers aloud together? Do you need to compile an itemized list of your prayers to assure our partner you are praying about the right stuff at the right times?

27 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I've always wondered what a prayer partner really does. I mean I've read the vague sort of cutesy descriptions. I have a friend from high school who recently posted about her desire for a godly prayer partner and message her if you are interested. I just don't really get how it works. Do you talk about other stuff? Do you say your prayers aloud together? Do you need to compile an itemized list of your prayers to assure our partner you are praying about the right stuff at the right times?

I just got a hilarious mental picture about an itemized list.

"Oh you said you wanted me to pray for more BABIES? I thought it said RABIES!"

Just now, sophie10130 said:

I just got a hilarious mental picture about an itemized list.

"Oh you said you wanted me to pray for more BABIES? I thought it said RABIES!"

That's kind of what I am picturing. Like AU where Derick is over in Nepal and trying to say to JB "I would like you to pray that I turn more Catholic heathens to the lord" but due to spotty internet service he cuts out after "Catholic" so JB blacklists him and Jill never connects with the one god has for her and spends her life in TTH.

Ostensibly, a prayer partner is a friend you can confide in, and you both pray (typically at a set time) about the same things... I guess like doubling prayer power.

I would imagine that it is a person you imagine you could confide in, so I guess the topics are fairly private and broad in scope...

This is in contrast to coming up to a fellow believer and asking "Could you pray for me? I'm going through something right now..." Vague details and all that.

@formergothardite umm how is Alyssa "advertising for IBLP and helping hurt victims from the cult" ...? If you're referring to her participation in BuB, I do not see how appearing on tv with her family (in which they show her working outside the home!) is "helping hurt victims from the cult" - I know i'm summarizing very briefly and not covering all the negative aspects of the show, but I also think it's a rather long shot to expect her to publicly denounce her parents and their beliefs. She is after all, only 21. At that age I was seriously contemplating escape from fundamentalism, but it was only a year later that i plucked up enough courage to tell my parents that i was leaving.

It's ok to say that maybe Alyssa hasn't become that much less fundie, but please don't keep implying that unless she cuts off her parents and the tv show, that must mean she is still in cahoots with every one of those beliefs and out to hurt the rest of the world. My own fundie parents have done horrible things themselves, and I am still conflicted on how much I want to publicly call them out on, or whether I can just let things go and let us all progress to a new normal in the life after fundamentalism. 

And don't underestimate the intelligence of "isolated" children who grew up in fundamentalism. The moment I had access to the internet and managed to get over my guilt of googling the shit out of everything, I found freejinger :) and that's where I started my journey out of fundamentalism.

15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I really hope this delivery isn't as tough as Carson's was. And I really really hope that they take whatever information their Doctor may have given them seriously going forward (if they didn't already.) Their belief system is messed up, but it would be horrible if something happened that was preventable.

she said she's going to have an induced delivery, so I suppose this time everything will be more controlled. I won't be surprised if she has a C-section.

15 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

she said she's going to have an induced delivery, so I suppose this time everything will be more controlled. I won't be surprised if she has a C-section.

They said that the last time as well. I think they were going to induce her around 36 weeks, but Carson came even earlier. I hope things work out better for Erin and baby this time. And that they stop reproducing.

Alyssa was promoting IBLP's family conference even if she didn't attend. Something the Keller sister wasn't doing. Alyssa might have attended one of the many conferences closer to her home. Pictures are scarce from those. Yes that is advertising for a cult. And yes victims of Gil, IBLP, and Gothard are doubted because the show makes them look nice and harmless. So Alyssa by participating in sugar coating an evil lifestyle is also helping to hurt and cast doubt on the people hurt most by this cult and by Gil. Read the lawsuit, his hands are far from clean. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived