IGNORED

What a thing to burden your 9 year old with - Nina Roesner

celestial

Here's what I have a big problem with:

“Shaunti Feldhahn did a study where she interviewed thousands of men, and thousands of teenage boys. You know what she found out? Most of them are thinking about what you look like naked when they can see a bunch of your skin. Short shorts, low cut tops, spaghetti straps, tight shirts that don’t hide much make it hard for boys to concentrate on what you are saying or doing, they just start thinking about what you look like, or even what it would be like to have sex with you.â€

She was shocked. “MOM! Seriously?!â€

Shaunti Feldhahn's biases aside (and from a quick google, it does seem that she has some), I doubt that the thousands of men and teenage boys she surveyed really said that scantily-dressed nine-year-old girls make them think about sex. The blogger is telling her daughter that boys her age sexualize girls her age, which in the vast majority of cases just ain't so.

without having read through all of the discussion...

i think there are definitely some lines that shouldn't be crossed (as in, i recently saw this somewhere,thongs for girls under 10) but i think9year olds shouldnt have to worry about being too revealing.

i do remember though definitely thinking about kissing a boy (like, in my class) at around age 9,10. (not that i did until 6 years later;))sex though was unimaginable.i think this age is when sexuality slowly awakes and that is normal and healthy.

so if a boy (close in age) thinks about how a girl look naked- so what? freedom of thought,right? as long as that does not lead him to any not-consensual actions...

obviously it would be VERY wrong for an adult to wonder about the same thing...

I really think fundies are perverted. It wouldn't occur to me in a million years to tell a 9 yo that she's responsible for someone else's sexual thoughts. If some guy was leering at my 9 yo, I'd have a problem with him not her.

Archived