IGNORED

another reason to avoid Texas .Texas school fooled by 7-year-old's fake note

doggie

well at least we have to have something funny from Texas. 

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:456416e5f40d4627a04d2f4ee40926e9

HOUSTON (AP) — A 7-year-old Houston girl managed to get out of an after-school program with a fake excuse note that she wrote herself, in large print with misspellings.

The girl's father, Charlie Dahu (DAY'-hoo), told KTRK-TV (http://abc13.co/1YauiwA ) that his daughter was wrong to write the note, but that it's obvious it was written by a child.

The note says, "I want Rosabella to go too dus 131 today."

With the note, Rosabella was able to take a bus home, rather than participating in an after-school program. But the girl couldn't get into her house. She spent part of the afternoon outside, until asking a neighbor to let her use the bathroom.

The neighbor kept Rosabella until her father was located.

The Sheldon Independent School District says the incident is under investigation.

Not to let the school off the hook, because I do think it was negligent that they didn't confirm the information, but I've gotten plenty of legitimate notes sent by parents that were pretty similar to that in handwriting and spelling. Some parents have learning disabilities, aren't native English speakers, did not complete an education, or just aren't great at writing. 

That said, there should have been a followup phone call to the parent to verify the arrangements before the child was just put on the bus and sent off school property. There needs to be some diligence by the school to ensure the child's safety, since as we see here, anyone could have written a note.

That's what I saw on a Facebook thread about this, Mercer- that many teachers see notes like this every day. It was a bit of a wake up call to me, at least.

I agree that the school needs a second system for backup in those situations. The girl got very lucky here. I understand the father's rage, especially since this seems to be out of the ordinary for them.

Sheesh. 20 years ago when I was in school they school would collect all notes like this in the AM and call parents to confirm then let teaches know with an official slip. And this was a podunk backwoods school in NC. I can't believe all schools aren't doing this by now?

Whenever I was a kid and my dad wrote the note I would get cross-examined by the authority in charge. He was extremely intelligent, but had absolutely illegible handwriting. I don't think it's that uncommon. I wouldn't expect a school to verify every not a kid turns in with plan changes - that seems ridiculously overburdensome , IMHO.

When I was a kid, my high school would confirm all notes, but the elementary school did not.  I guess that the high schoolers were sneakier and more likely to forge a note...  But seriously, I doubt that all schools are staffed for this.  Seems like they should do it on an as-needed basis.

well we needed another reason to avoid texas

A class that played jump rope with cat intestines will not be punished as it was a part of the curriculum

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A Texas school district says no one will face punishment after video surfaced of high school students using a cat's intestines as a jump rope during a lesson.

Officials with the North East Independent School District told KENS-TV (http://bit.ly/25aRmCS ) the incident happened earlier this month during an anatomy class at Winston Churchill High School.

The district said the teacher felt the lesson was "effective" for demonstrating how long and tough intestines are.

Spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor says the lesson was not meant to be disrespectful. She says neither the students nor teacher will be punished because there is no "ill will." But she says the district will update the lesson plan.

Animals rights group PETA told the TV station the school should replace "cruel and crude" dissection methods with animal-free lessons.

Archived