IGNORED

Sister Wives 3 - Collective in Crisis?

Just now, OyToTheVey said:

I'm lucky in that sense. I live in Brooklyn. Most NY restaurants are very accommodating. They will mark stuff on the menu with certain things. Plus with this health craze I can find pork free options everywhere. 

I now eat pork again, so its no big deal for me now (you lose your ideals right quick when you are broke and pork is cheap). Its not a staple in my diet or anything, but I love the white privilege crowd here freaking out because Subway now has a Halal chicken option. Apparently we are being taken over. *eye roll* 

Yet these same people would be fine with a Jewish Kosher deli. 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a personal pet peeve, but the co-opting of Jewish traditions by Christians makes me crazed. Messianic Seders, light Hanukah candles, weird versions of Kosher etc. You've monopolized American culture with Christian traditions, do you have to take over ours as well....

Like I said, irrational pet peeve from this atheist conservative Jew.

5 minutes ago, ITD said:

It's a personal pet peeve, but the co-opting of Jewish traditions by Christians makes me crazed. Messianic Seders, light Hanukah candles, weird versions of Kosher etc. You've monopolized American culture with Christian traditions, do you have to take over ours as well....

I completely agree. I hear Christmas music starting in September! That is never ending annoyance. And people that follow people like the Browns and the Duggars see that "kosher" is just not eating pork. No to be fully integrated into Jewish/Old Testament life you have to follow 613 principles that are outlined in the Torah. You can't follow Jesus and say you're doing all those things. That's not how it works. 

Bolded line needs to be made into a post count name (or the new FJ motto, perhaps).

Due to a couple changes, all requests for post count titles need to be posted in the request thread with a link back to the originating post.  Thanks. 

Mine too. It drives me nuts, tbh. My boyfriend got dragged to one by his now-Christian mother and said the group holding it just picked and chose what they wanted and really distorted the customs and ritual. I'm glad I begged off and didn't go.

I eat zabihah halal. They sneak animal byproducts in so many things. Altoids was one that really surprised me. I was super happy when I found out Swedish fish and Dots were okay. Luckily I we have a few good butchers and restaurants close by. 

It bothers me sometimes when people pay lip service to a religious dietary restrictions and then claim ignorance when they eat something not permissible. When you adhere to a religious diet and are serious about it, you get to know what's in your food. If a dish has something impermissible or you're unsure you don't just shrug and eat. You choose to eat something else.

Fetal pig dissection is part of the high school biology curriculum here, my daughter offered to be group photographer rather than do any cutting. Even after 4 weeks, she still cringes when I make pork chops or bacon, and she LOVES bacon!

Trying to catch up again on PVR ... 

Oh my ... talk about those paintings again just as I was relieved we finally were done with those trees that are going to make everyone forget that Meri had an affaire with a *gasp* lesbian uhh rich and handsome business man. 

Kody pulling Meri aside for more talk about those d*mn paintings -yes scripted or not!- is beyond ridiculous. I expect nothing less then to see Kody's painting hanging above Meri's bed in next episode ;)

There are so many teenagers/young adults in the household, give them some more airtime. 

I can't wait to see what the deal with pork is all about - back to the PVR

I have accrued the whole season on my cable box.  I can't bring myself to do it.  Is there anything worth watching in the endless hours of recordings?  

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I have accrued the whole season on my cable box.  I can't bring myself to do it.  Is there anything worth watching in the endless hours of recordings?  

Probably next week's tell-all? :P And the eyebrow thing in this most recent episode was kind of funny.

I know I have offended some of you over the years, so I took a paltry amount of time out of my day to make you this painting of a tree on my computer.

I know this is basically the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you, so please fawn over me.  Thank you!

FreshPaint-4-2016.06.22-10.24.16.png

On June 20, 2016 at 0:47 AM, theinvisiblegirl said:

As for Mykelti, I can see how, in her mind, it would be upsetting to be so excited to share this news with your mother, knowing her reaction to your half-sister's news, then to have your mother react the way Christine did.

But, if we have to take sides, I'm Team Christine. Mykelti is two years younger than me, and I can't imagine having gotten married at 19. Hell, I can't imagine getting married now at 21.

I am Team Christine as well without doubt ... but I hope I will never respond the way Christine did. Mykelti gets to relive her moms reaction again through the show, and not only that - she gets to hear Christines commentary. Sheesh, how hurtful hearing your mom say that she will not tell your dad that you are getting married before they are back home, cause well ... it would ruin dads vacation. Prime parenting Christine! 

You just cannot jump for joy for one of your childrens news (Madison) and then react a complete different way about similar news (a wedding, that both girls announced joyfully) about another of your children regardless of your own feelings. Would I want to react the same as Christine in this situation? Of course, but I hope I would be mature enough to not show it at that moment.

While I agree with Christine's points re: Mykelti, they are a bit of a double standard.

You can't be super excited for Madison, push for young marriage with Logan, and then not be excited for young marriage with Mykelti.

The Brown's support getting married young.  They push it.  You can't pick and choose which of your kids will end up marrying young though, and it is hurtful and unfair to support that choice in SOME kids and not in others.  What's so different about Mykelti and Madison?  

Honestly, I think it might be a cover up.  Madison married in the family.  Mykelti's fiance has no ties to the Browns as far as I know.  I think if Mykelti had a fiance who was tied closer to the family like Madison's, Christine wouldn't have an issue.  

I think you're right. Kody has known Madison's husband for years. They know what kind of man he is (or at least somewhat), where as Mykelti's fiance may be an unknown. That explains the behavior, I'm not excusing it. They're still being unfair. 

I think I'm of the minority that thinks that they're super valid to feel and act the way they do? I've never been in a relationship before, but I can't imagine ever springing "Can boyfriend talk to Dad about us getting married?" on my mother while on vacation when they don't know him very well or if we haven't been dating for long. I think she should have made more of an effort to date longer and come around her family more with him so everyone got to know each other a little better before having that talk. He wasn't even invited on the Hawaii vacation because they didn't even know how long the two had been together. I just find Christine's reaction to be that of a concerned mother who doesn't know the man that's going to marry her daughter well. They knew Caleb much better than they seem to know Tony. I do recognize the double standard between her reaction to Maddie vs Mykelti, and it has to suck, but - with Christine at least - maybe it's vastly different for her because it's her biological daughter.

37 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I think I'm of the minority that thinks that they're super valid to feel and act the way they do? I've never been in a relationship before, but I can't imagine ever springing "Can boyfriend talk to Dad about us getting married?" on my mother while on vacation when they don't know him very well or if we haven't been dating for long. I think she should have made more of an effort to date longer and come around her family more with him so everyone got to know each other a little better before having that talk. He wasn't even invited on the Hawaii vacation because they didn't even know how long the two had been together. I just find Christine's reaction to be that of a concerned mother who doesn't know the man that's going to marry her daughter well. They knew Caleb much better than they seem to know Tony. I do recognize the double standard between her reaction to Maddie vs Mykelti, and it has to suck, but - with Christine at least - maybe it's vastly different for her because it's her biological daughter.

I agree with you too.  Besides not dating for that long, I think Madison and Mykelti are two extremely different people and it makes sense that their parents would react differently to them wanting to get married.  By the sounds of it, Madison had been interested in Caleb a lot longer and had dated him a bit longer too.  She must've also been giving hints to her parents about how serious it was because they invited him to Alaska with them.  And while both are taking time off from school, Madison seems like someone who can be very focused and is able to take care of herself quite well.  Mykelti was supposed to be taking a few semesters of school to figure out what she wants to do for the rest of her life.  She seems very unfocused, and I can see why they're worried that after dating someone for about 6 months and at the age of 19 she's decided to marry him without figuring anything else out about herself. Mykelti seems the type of person to rush into things and then a few months later decide she's done with it.  That works for hobbies and casual dating, but not really for marriage.  I also don't know anything about Tony, so it's hard to say what kind of guy he is.  Caleb at least has figured out his career, but we don't know anything about Tony, which may be another cause for concern.  

Anybody watching tonights tell all? Still no real honesty about the catfish situation. Kody says he does not think Meri had an emotional affair but she surely did. He says all that happened was talking, but that is exactly what an emotional affair is!  Meri says she would not have crossed her boundary, but she was just about ready to leave the family...WTF

So much denial. Janelle did not know what catfishing was before this, haha.

Kody's serious expression cracks me up.

Yes, @SilverBeach I am watching... I think the catfish should be treated like a troll and ignored.... I think by so much conversation on national TV, they are just giving the catfish what they wanted - attention, causing the Browns distraction from their family unit, discord.  IMHO the Browns should have made the topic off limits.

23 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Anybody watching tonights tell all? Still no real honesty about the catfish situation. Kody says he does not think Meri had an emotional affair but she surely did. He says all that happened was talking, but that is exactly what an emotional affair is!  Meri says she would not have crossed her boundary, but she was just about ready to leave the family...WTF

So much denial. Janelle did not know what catfishing was before this, haha.

Kody's serious expression cracks me up.

I am watching them tell all. But I haven't really learned anything I don't think.....

Meri was lonely and had an emotional affair. She shares her husband with three other women and her only child left home. This is so shocking.

Agreed. Kody's expressions are hysterical. 

Oh sweet Mary and Joseph.  I put myself on time-out from commenting about anything wedding for awhile. Until I heard Stupid-Sobbyn-Robbyn running her mouth tonight.  Specifically, that "Janelle is the mother of the bride (Maddy) but we're ALL the mother of the bride (also regarding Christine & Mykelti)."

Let me bang some etiquette into your empty head.  In your particular situation -- unless the child was birthed directly from your own personal hoo-hah -- you are NOT the mother of the bride/groom.  Your role is more of a step-mother.

Therefore, you should:

Show up.  Shut up.  Sit down.  Wear beige.

43 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Yes, @SilverBeach I am watching... I think the catfish should be treated like a troll and ignored.... I think by so much conversation on national TV, they are just giving the catfish what they wanted - attention, causing the Browns distraction from their family unit, discord.  IMHO the Browns should have made the topic off limits.

You are right, catfishers love attention especially this one. I just think calling it what it really was would stop a lot of the questioning .

It looks like the family unit has survived just fine, which is good for the kids. Kody did accept some responsibility, so that's good too. The topic is getting stale.

I am just amazed at how little Robyn cried!  Two hours and only baby topic crying.  Wtg!

Poor Meri.  And wow, Mariah!  Mad at Mom because  she didn't listen when you knew best.  Frustrating, isn't it?  Good thing your parents don't behave that way.

I certainly think this was the most interesting tell-all they've done, and I also believe it's important that they talk about the catfisher. It's not as though they're giving out Jackie's name or pointing people in the direction of the BatDork blog. Rather, because some people don't know about this - as Janelle said, she had never heard of the concept before it happened to Meri - I think it's important that Meri share the experience. If you know what to look out for, then you can try an keep yourself safe on the Internet. The younger generation obviously has a little more experience with knowing what Catfishing is, but people their age and older might not have a clue what it means and never bothered to look to up.

I find it strange that she's never listened to any of the voicemail. It may even be a downright lie. I'm also of the firm belief that Kody has to have felt like she cheated. We all saw how he reacted a few seasons ago when it as brought up by a wife (I think it was Meri) who asked about having multiple husbands.

Haven't gotten to the point where Mariah speaks about it. I'll be interested to hear what she has to say. But I think it's absolute bullshit that Kody says Mariah's punishing her mother. Mariah has every right to feel the way she does about her mother's actions.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived