IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

18 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Admittedly I'm not the most social of people, but having a close and loving relationship with that many people seems like an impossibility to me.  Is this just be being an outlier?  That's totally possible.

Pros and cons to everything I'm sure - less time with grandparents more eleventy cousins you could maybe bond with some of them...it just seems like an awful lot of people to love the way you think of a grandparent loving their grand kids.  

I'm one of 30 some grandkids on one side...and I loved my Grams and I'm sure she loved me in the way she loved all of us...I'm not sure she really knew me.  Not like how you see it on the Werther's commercials, anyway.  I know that when everyone was together I felt like I was just one of a pack of kids...the moments that I remember fondly with her are all from the rare time I'd spent alone with her or with her and my mom.  

Yep, Irish Catholic family here and I have 22 first cousins. Most are older than me and married when I was quite young, so their spouses feel like "real" relatives as well. My paternal grandparents were my only grandparents. They were very kind and added a nice amount of stability to an unstable childhood, but honestly I really didn't know them. They were also much older (late 70s) when I was born. We never made cookies or went on trips together or even talked on the phone.

I marvel at how close my niece and nephews are to my mom. They go to the water park with her and joke around and text her. I always thought of grandparents as these very regal people you meet in a parlor (yes, they had a parlor) in your Sunday best, ready to answer the same set of questions with prearranged answers.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of my parent's siblings had kids (probably a good thing). My uncle was married to a woman with a son for a few years, so I had a step cousin for a while and I absolutely adored him. After the divorce though it was just my sister and I for kids. Mr. D's family on the other hand has so many people that I lose track. My mil has like 7 sisters. They all had between 2 and 4 kids, and those kids bred like rabbits for the most part. When they were kids they were all closer, but now they're all nuts. At family gatherings my immediate in laws all stick together and avoid the cousins. 

Now my sister is child free by choice (also a good thing, though she's an awesome aunt) so my kid's cousins are all on Mr. D's side. They currently have 8 cousins ranging from 17 to 2. It seems like a good number. Two are the same age as my daughter so she's got kids to play with. The older ones are a bit more spread out and don't really hang out. As far as grandparents go. My kids have a much closer relationship with my parents than Mr. D's. I don't know if it's because they are my parent's only grandkids or if it's because we've never gone through big issues that caused MIL to raise them for a bit like the others. I love having nieces and nephews and am grateful for those relationships. I wouldn't have them on my side. I'm the aunt that spoils them and is a bit of a bad influence with the older ones. ;)

The Bates instagram posted an open invitation to a graduation party for Carlin and Trace. Don't they know it's a bad idea to invite us ebil heathens?! Someone could front-hug one of their kids!

3 hours ago, Duggadict said:

Knoxville is close by and a decent size city 

Yep-- the Knoxville metro area is almost 700,000. And a college town.

And by the way, I think this is the most hilarious keyword-driven ad I have ever seen on FJ:

Chad.JPG

The Bates Instagram just posted the details on Carlin and Trace's open graduation party. It will be at the camp owned by Temple Baptist Church/Crown College: http://mountmoriahcamp.com/

It has a huge picnic pavilion. Crown College might view this as a recruiting opportunity --reaching out to all the fundy teens who attend.

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

This flashed across my homepage an hour ago, sorry if someone already posted it, in a rush today.  Its scary!  But at least people are out in droves in the comments, showing the Bates for who they really are.

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1118273/why-i-fell-in-love-with-the-bates-family-in-bringing-up-bates-season-3

At least people were quick to speak up, but there are still comments where people are claiming the Bates are nothing like the Duggars. The Bates are worse than the Duggars, they can make evil look appealing. It is sad that people are willing to overlook their association with IBLP and the accusations against Gil just because they have more personality than the Duggars. 

I talk very fast, and I grew up in Chicago.  Although I will say my mother-in-law, who is from Newark, can give me a run for my money in the fast speaking realm.  So it's not just a NYC-specific thing.

And was it Katie (or Carlin?) who said that Nathan would be Nathan anywhere (meaning he didn't mind wearing a cowboy hat in NYC)?  If it's true, then it means that Ashley knows what he's really like, and it's not like he's trying to be something for her he's not.  It's hard enough to be in that lifestyle without knowing your future spouse all that well.  I don't get how some of these fundies identify the girl they like, get approval from her father, enter a courtship, get engaged, and get married in less than a year (and often six months) without knowing each other very well first (I think of Kendalyn Staddon, Valerie Waller, even Priscilla Waller).

@HereticHick I moved from that area a few months ago. I never imagined a FJ neighbor. Her Chinatown comment made me giggle. 

I'm an only child and I've got 26 cousins. 24 are older than I am. I'm only really close to 2 of them, even though most of us grew up in the same little town. I would've been completely OK without most of them. My parents always were able to find a babysitter, though, which was nice for them. 

That link a few posts up is scary.  That author based her entire opinion on the show. It was interesting how she compared them to the Duggars without even realizing all of the cult connections. The Bates family is definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

Did anyone else notice Nathan pulling away from Ashley or moving her hand when she was being especially touchy? It's obvious they are very attracted and interested in one another so that's not the concern. I just wonder if he was trying to subtly show her that too much touching would be a (what did Jill call it?) "bad testimony."

Anyway, it made me wonder if they may have gone too far in the past and we're trying to prevent that (a kiss maybe) or if he was just worried about what his family would think.

The two examples I can remember are when he first surprised her at her home and gave her a second hug. He kinda pushed her away after like 5 seconds. The other time was at the end when his whole family was gathered around for Christmas. They were sitting next to each other and she placed her hand on his leg and he quickly pushed it away. 

Idle speculation bus. Next stop: Chinatown! Lol 

4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

This flashed across my homepage an hour ago, sorry if someone already posted it, in a rush today.  Its scary!  But at least people are out in droves in the comments, showing the Bates for who they really are.

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1118273/why-i-fell-in-love-with-the-bates-family-in-bringing-up-bates-season-3

As a writer I believe that was very poorly written. It sounds like a fucking fifth grade book report. Some reason this article made me very annoyed. To completely not look into the family's background, particularly regarding Gil is completely reckless. A failure to online journalism.

1 hour ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Did anyone else notice Nathan pulling away from Ashley or moving her hand when she was being especially touchy? It's obvious they are very attracted and interested in one another so that's not the concern. I just wonder if he was trying to subtly show her that too much touching would be a (what did Jill call it?) "bad testimony."

Anyway, it made me wonder if they may have gone too far in the past and we're trying to prevent that (a kiss maybe) or if he was just worried about what his family would think.

The two examples I can remember are when he first surprised her at her home and gave her a second hug. He kinda pushed her away after like 5 seconds. The other time was at the end when his whole family was gathered around for Christmas. They were sitting next to each other and she placed her hand on his leg and he quickly pushed it away. 

I noticed.  My best guess is that the two of them were courting well before the episode was filmed, but needed to pretend otherwise for the camera.  Could be she wasn't remembering what types of contact were OK vs. not for the fakery.

I'm not knowledgeable on this, but when would Alyssa be expected to be pregnant again if she is not using birth control after having her daughter a year ago? I've met people with age gaps of about a year, but was wondering how common that may be. I'd be curious to know if she will actively prevent conception.

6 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

You definitely weren't the only one to notice.  I noticed too.  Sucks that the cult essentially stifles their emotions because "purity"

2 hours ago, GoneDownTheRabbitHole said:

I'm not knowledgeable on this, but when would Alyssa be expected to be pregnant again if she is not using birth control after having her daughter a year ago? I've met people with age gaps of about a year, but was wondering how common that may be. I'd be curious to know if she will actively prevent conception.

Considering her age, and the fact she got pregnant just after the wedding, and that she only breastfeed for a few months (or at least there are pictures of a very little Allie with a bottle), she could got pregnant months ago. 

I have the vibe that she has her mother's fertility. But Kelly has gotten pregnant when their babies were like 6 months old. I hope Alyssa is doing some birth control, for her own sake.

This said, I'm sure a new baby is coming soon. 

On 4/6/2016 at 6:57 AM, infooverload said:

I think it is interesting a homemade cake wasn't done. I remember for my son's first birthday making a lion rainbow cake. It was supposed to be a monkey cake, but the pan didn't come in time emoji20.png. My kitchen was wrecked and a friend of ours had to step in and help decorate the cake. Let's just say first experience using a piping bag and I had a learning curve. Mind you at the time I was working full time and going to school part time. My son loved his piece of cake and I figured it was more economical to make the cake. After that birthday though I have only done a homemade cake for him one other time to save my sanity. All of this to say, the people who espouse domesticated pursuits didn't make a cake. A side note not related to the party; has anyone wondered why Michaela was the only one who's attended an accredited college so far? I just find it curious since for the others Crown college was the option given. One would think she would have gone this route considering how she is presented and how she presents herself.

Where  was Sierra when you needed her to work he rmagic?. Sorry couldnt resist whenI read that and thought about Anna and the suddenly appearing rainbow cake. Now back to reading comments

8 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

As a writer I believe that was very poorly written. It sounds like a fucking fifth grade book report. Some reason this article made me very annoyed. To completely not look into the family's background, particularly regarding Gil is completely reckless. A failure to online journalism.

No kidding. Does this woman seriously get paid for her crappy "journalism?"

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

Considering her age, and the fact she got pregnant just after the wedding, and that she only breastfeed for a few months (or at least there are pictures of a very little Allie with a bottle), she could got pregnant months ago. 

I have the vibe that she has her mother's fertility. But Kelly has gotten pregnant when their babies were like 6 months old. I hope Alyssa is doing some birth control, for her own sake.

Just for a comparison:

Whitney is only one year older than Alyssa, she got pregnant right after the wedding too and announced her second pregnancy at Bradley's first birthday to the families but the show viewers didn't get to hear about it until several months after. Allie isn't even one year old yet, her birthday is only in a couple of days. 

12 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

There was also another time on the carriage ride when she put her finger under his chin and moved his face toward her. It seemed like a gesture folks typically do to gently initiate a kiss. 

I also am suspicious about the whole blanket up in front of them during the carriage ride.

They're definitely kissing. They are way too comfortable and handsy for people who weren't even officially courting yet. I mean, they were holding hands, front hugging up a storm, boyfriend/girlfriend and I love yous before officially courting.

Good for them!

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She could be pumping and then using a bottle to feed Allie. My sister does that with her almost two month old son - partly because she works full-time, but also because she doesn't feel comfortable breastfeeding in front of everyone (our mom was, but everyone is different in that respect - whatever makes mom and baby happy is what counts.) 

Alyssa seems relatively private to me. I could see her wanting to pump so she won't be shown on camera breast feeding.

My guess is that most of the older Bates children will have no more than 4-6 children (maybe michael being an exception, but she might be too old to reach double digits!), and who knows for the younger ones...

Michael is probably half way through her first pregnancy right now, and Alyssa is probably pregnant with nr 2. so all the married bates children are could be expecting right now!

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The Bates Instagram just posted the details on Carlin and Trace's open graduation party. It will be at the camp owned by Temple Baptist Church/Crown College: http://mountmoriahcamp.com/

It has a huge picnic pavilion. Crown College might view this as a recruiting opportunity --reaching out to all the fundy teens who attend.

Jill Rodrigues is already stocking up on hair spray and green eyeliner. You know she and the other Rodriguii will be there.

4 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

Jill Rodrigues is already stocking up on hair spray and green eyeliner. You know she and the other Rodriguii will be there.

Then we can hear about it on her blog about how their "sweet Bates friends" sent her family a personal invite....smile 

Those two are hot to trot for each other. It is nice to see. I would not be surprised if they were kissing already. Didn't in an earlier episode Nathan and Lawson drove back to Tennessee from New York with Ashley and no one else? I wouldn't doubt there might have been some kissing going on and Lawson just didn't say anything. 

Ashley has a lot of spirit and opinions. I hope she doesn't lose that. She so obviously loves New York, I worry she will be bored in a small town. It is nice to watch a courtship where the people seem to actually be into each other. the Duggar courtships always make me think that if they weren't fundies, these people would end up getting divorced. Although, the Bates' version of courtship is really just dating without the kissing (allegedly). It's nice to not see a ten year old sitting between them and a parent not getting all stressed out over a hug. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived