IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I often wonder how it is to have nieces/nephews and aunts/uncles so close in age to you.  The term applies that a generation separates you but it's not always reality.

Look at Uncle Jeb Bates and his nephew Bradley (weren't they both ring bearers in the same wedding?) or Jordyn and Mackynzie Duggar (who apparently are very close).  

I was 21 when my youngest cousin was born, (and it would be another 11 years until the next generation was born) and it used to be people thought she was mine if I took her somewhere (I had a lovely lecture from someone in Walmart).

Yes! My nephew was born when I was 17. I got a lovely lecture at a park once when I took him out to run off energy. He was like 2 and I looked freakishly young for a 19 year old lol

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see the problem with smash cakes and they aren't a new thing. My son had one (came free with the cake) 8 years ago and parents had one for my brother and me 27 and 23 years ago. I have actually never been to a 1st birthday party without one. 

@mango_fandango Exactly! The closest thing I have to a sibling is a first cousin who's 13 years older and a complete ass. It got boring a lot. But I totally don't have any problems going to places by myself lol 

I have no 1st cousins. My husband has 9. We all get along fine.

After watching this episode, I feel like I should say this. Not all Southerners are ass backwards and poke fun at bigger, multi-cultural cities. Some of us would find it fascinating.

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

After watching this episode, I feel like I should say this. Not all Southerners are ass backwards and poke fun at bigger, multi-cultural cities. Some of us would find it fascinating.

Cultural stereotyping is so annoying. 

On April 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Alicja said:

Anyways, Allie Jane's party was very pink!!! I wish they added more pastel pinks. I love me a good pastel pink.

I bet Alyssa has a ton of hot pink decorations left from her wedding. ;)

5 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

I bet Alyssa has a ton of hot pink decorations left from her wedding. ;)

AND Malibu blue :pb_lol:

8 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

AND Malibu blue :pb_lol:

She'll keep those until she has a boy. Can't have anyone confused about whether Allie is a boy or girl! :naughty:

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm curious-- did your grandparents actually give individual birthday/holiday gifts to their dozens of grandkids? I only have 10 cousins, so I always wonder how the logistics & economics of giftgiving works in such supersized families. 

I think initially they did but stopped when the numbers got ridiculous. One had 25+ grandkids and the other had 45+ and there was a geographical spread. People got cards though and something silver at their Christening. 

Both my grandmothers were widowed while they still had dependents and my maternal grandmother put all of her (double digit) children through university so I think most of their resources went into making sure their children could be financially independent. They were fortunate to be reasonably well off.

My paternal grandmother used to give us 20p for sweets each visit- which could net you a lot of sweets back then. I loved those visits.

11 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I often wonder how it is to have nieces/nephews and aunts/uncles so close in age to you.  The term applies that a generation separates you but it's not always reality.

Look at Uncle Jeb Bates and his nephew Bradley (weren't they both ring bearers in the same wedding?) or Jordyn and Mackynzie Duggar (who apparently are very close).  

I was 21 when my youngest cousin was born, (and it would be another 11 years until the next generation was born) and it used to be people thought she was mine if I took her somewhere (I had a lovely lecture from someone in Walmart).

I was 4,5 when I became an aunt the first time and most of my nieces and nephews are closer in age than my siblings. It wasn't very strange at all, they didn't call me aunt and we played and interacted kind of like cousins or just regular playmates. With my older nieces and nephews I might have a more typical aunt relation but I still refuse to be called aunt as I never was one with the older ones and I don't "feel" like an aunt even at 33. 

My daughter is in turn more close in age with the children of my nieces and nephews and my tummy baby will be even closer in age to them. My daughter is soon to be 4, my niece's children are 2 and 3 months and my nephew's is soon to be 1. I am expected this summer so my niece's baby and mine will be born the same year. I have a further 4 nieces and nephews who are all over 20 so more children are expected from them in the 10 years to come.

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Zachney is doing a SEX reveal. They have a box they gave to Kelly - when she opens it up there will be balloons inside. Blue means boy, pink means girl, and green means Dinosaur. They take votes on who thinks what sex.

:wham:I love you!

I only have 13 cousins, but 11 of them in my mothers side. But, the interesting thing is that there are no "gaps" between the generations. My mother is one of five siblings, with 18 years between the youngest and the oldest. And my oldest cousin is born only a few months after my uncle. The same story has happened again with my youngest cousins and the next generation after us. 

A fun fact, my three aunts were born during three years, then my mom ten years later. After that the family moved, and my grandparents got their own bedroom (before they slept in the livingroom in a small one or two room apartment) and my uncle was born. I see the family as a sign of the love that was between my grandparents through their whole life together. 

7 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Completely understand. And now I need to confess - Not all Northerners wear harlot red lipstick and talk a mile a minute like Ashley. I feel better now too! :pb_lol:

Seriously though, either UP purposely made them look like stereotypical asshats or they just decided to let their stereotypical freak flags fly for all to see. I'm betting it's the second option - they made a big point of talking about Ashley and Brandon as being OMG SO DIFFERENT (because the North) in other episodes too. Spoiler alert - you have the same fucked up beliefs. You ain't THAT different from each other.

I suppose we should just be grateful they knew Chinatown was still in the U.S. and that no one attempted to greet the restaurant employees with a good old fashioned, "¡Hola!"

(I'm looking at you JimBob!)

hee...I live on the edge of DC's  (albeit tiny & continually shrinking) Chinatown.  Thanks to Kelli, I will now always lament that it is not indoors.

PS My SIL is from Bates country and talks as fast as Ashley!  : )

VelociRapture - Thank you for the great recap.  Great job. 

I think Nathan picked well when choosing a life partner.  I think they met while doing mission work.   IIRC, Nathan was the one who organized the mission trip where he, Lawson, and JD went and helped give medical care somewhere.  It wasn't the usual go and hand out candy and paint fingernail, but actually assisting with some kind of care.) Anyway, he said at one point that he didn't talk very much and Ashley did, so that is why I say they might be well suited. 

I was always under the impression that Alyssa's husband was kind of stand offish with the family, but Nathan and Lawson were sure glad to see him. 

I really do wonder if the 'cowboy in the city' look was staged.  But you see so much crazy shit in NYC that people wouldn't think twice.

I was in NYC last week and I saw someone who was dressed like he had just come from Times Square on New Years (happy new year hat and 2016 glasses).  End of March.  Whatever floats his boat.

And yes New Yorkers talk fast.  I have been called out on it during sothern campaigns I've been on (one not far from Bates territory).  If they ask if I'm from NY (and they have) I reply 'born and raised.'

I'm a NYCer and I admit I talk fast but mostly cuz everyone here is in a hurry and don't have time to listen to slow talk. Also I try to get everything out that's racing in my head. That episode was so fake tho. Not a single person would even notice a cowboy hat in NYC. There's so much weird shit in the streets a cowboy is the least of the weird. 

East Tennessee folks--what will be the closest shopping mall to the Bates in Rocky Top? West Town? Will that be close enough for Ashley?

For Ashley's sake I hope they compromise.  Move to a rural town near a big TN city (Nashville maybe) so she has the culture a more populated area has to offer and he still has his horses.  She doesn't strike me as a girl who's happy with Walmart as her best option.

And Ashley needs to discover online shopping.

7 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I think initially they did but stopped when the numbers got ridiculous. One had 25+ grandkids and the other had 45+ and there was a geographical spread. People got cards though and something silver at their Christening. 

Both my grandmothers were widowed while they still had dependents and my maternal grandmother put all of her (double digit) children through university so I think most of their resources went into making sure their children could be financially independent. They were fortunate to be reasonably well off.

My paternal grandmother used to give us 20p for sweets each visit- which could net you a lot of sweets back then. I loved those visits.

There was no way my paternal grandmother (the one who had all the kids and the resultant cousins) could have given us all gifts, but she made dinner every Sunday, spent quality time with us, and was a great joy to be around.  She gave us something priceless, which is a closeknit extended family that truly supports one another.  I love my family so much.  All intelligent, educated, upstanding, giving people.  All.  It's pretty amazing.  At Christmas, we always had family gatherings on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and my grandmother gave very small, token gifts to the grandkids, which were always chosen and purchased on her behalf by an aunt.  She was not a shopper or a material gifter.   Later in her life, she crocheted blankets for each of us.  She actually made three for me, and I was given her last one after she died last year, which was very special.  My relationship with my maternal grandmother was closer when I was a child.  She only had two grandkids, and not only did she spoil us, she practically raised us.  We were with her very often.  I feel bad for my kids sometimes, not being around their grandmothers as much as I was able to be.  We live far away.  

I'm laughing at all the fast talking comments.

I was born, raised, and still a resident of Connecticut - so I've been to the city a bunch of times. I also married  a nice Italian boy who was born and raised the first decade of his life in Brooklyn (top of the food chain!) So I absolutely understand how fast New Yorkers can speak and fully understand the reasons why.

I commented on it specifically because a Bates kid - maybe Josie or Katie - mentioned how fast they speak when the Salyer sisters visited them in an earlier season. And because for some reason it was really obvious how much faster she speaks than the Bates family this episode - maybe because she was just really excited.

And I agree with @doubleT- despite their differences, I do think that Nathan and Ashley make a good couple so far. They seem very at ease and comfortable with one another. Hopefully, for their sake, that continues to be the case and they continue to grow and mature together.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived