IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

On 5/3/2016 at 4:22 PM, HereticHick said:

This is the 2nd time that Alyssa or John have posted an Instagram pic of cleaning a dance studio: 

I guess they sometimes take Allie Jane with them when they clean.  Not to be a leghumper, but good for them for being hard working.  

Walkers are extremely dangerous for kids! I cringe every time I see one.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx

And bad for baby development

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/the-dangers-of-baby-walkers/

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know they still sold them. Even when my kids were little there were lots of warning about the dangers of walkers.

Wow, I had no idea that walkers were bad for babies. I don't have any kids yet, but it's good to know for the future. 

I had no idea walkers were dangerous.  There's lots of pics of me in one at that age.

My younger niece (1.5) has one.  My sister got it at a garage sale for $1.  She knew how to walk at Thanksgiving, but didn't get comfortable with it until after New Year's.   Kid is very mobile now.

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I went down a fight of stairs in a walker when I was a baby. I was very lucky and wasn't hurt at all, but my parents were horrified. I wasn't unsupervised, they just underestimated how fast I was in it until it was too late.

4 minutes ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

I went down a fight of stairs in a walker when I was a baby. I was very lucky and wasn't hurt at all, but my parents were horrified. I wasn't unsupervised, they just underestimated how fast I was in it until it was too late.

That's why walkers were banned in Canada years ago.  There were many instances of babies in walkers plunging down stairs.  There were also cases of babies getting their fingers caught in them.

I'm not surprised we see Alie Jane in a walker anymore than we see Spurge sleeping on the couch by himself with a big fluffy blanket. Or the M kids loosely strapped into their car seats, if at all. They ascribe to "Momma/Daddy are the bestestest parents every where and raised 19 kids and we all turned out all right" school of thought. (Except maybe Josh, we'll have to see what Jill/Jessa do with their boys once they have little sisters.) Safe sleeping practices?  Recommended by the AAP?  Prevention of accidents?  Psshaw.  We're all alive. 

In the comments of Alyssa's latest instagram pic there is a huge fight going on about Allie Jane being autistic. While I do agree it is a little weird that she always has a blank stare and never ever looks at the camera, i think it is weird that people are telling her to get her 12 month old tested for autism! So dumb. 

I never knew the walkers were not well thought of, mine had them, though my youngest is 12. I thought it looked like a sensible idea if they are cleaning floors, and fun for Allie if she can whizz around a lovely large space.

I have a lot of respect for them for doing a second job together, and not a glamorous one at that. 

I don't get all the pearl clutching.  Walkers can be very unsafe if they are used on uneven surfaces or if they are used unsupervised.  I don't think putting your child in one makes you a bad parent.  Supervision is key.  I don't think either of mine had a walker.  We used a jumperoo, and they loved it.  

My kids didn't have walkers, either.  However, if we couldn't do then all the things we can't do now, we'd probably have been reported to CPS.  And my parents' generation would all be in prison.  Things change. Things get safer.  But I doubt there is a parent among us who hasn't watched their child get hurt in some way, despite our best intentions.  Falling down stairs in a walker is a terrible danger, obviously.  Running around for a while in a level, safe area such as we see here with the Websters, is fine.  IMO, of course.

It isn't just the risk of falling that is what is wrong with baby walker. When my youngest daughter was around six months her physical therapist gave me the lecture on baby walkers that she gave all the parents. A baby walker wasn't an option for my daughter, but she still gave me the long talk about never, ever using one. 

https://kendrapedpt.com/2013/10/10/on-walking-and-why-you-wont-see-a-physical-therapists-kid-using-a-baby-walker/

Baby walkers are bad for development of walking

baby walkers don’t help babies learn to walk. In fact, research shows that children who spend time in baby walkers actually tend to walk later than their peers who do not. Baby walkers put babies in an unnatural standing position, take away the ability to see the legs and feet during stepping, and deny opportunities for crawling and pulling up.  For parents who need to keep their baby contained for a few minutes, a playard or a gated baby-proofed room are much better solutions. And for learning to take first steps, a push toy allows baby to see his legs and feet and practice standing and stepping in a much more natural way. There are commercial push toys available, but most families have ordinary objects around the house that will work just fine – a play grocery cart or doll stroller, empty laundry basket, or large box are all perfect for holding on and pushing around the house.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/3/790.full

Parents who use infant walkers often express their perception that the walker keeps their child safe (a form of baby-sitting), or that it helps the infant learn to walk. Data supporting such benefits do not exist. One study that evaluated children between 6 and 15 months of age demonstrated that walker-experienced infants sat, crawled, and walked later than no-walker controls, and they scored lower on Bayley scales of mental and motor development.16 

More info about walkers. 

http://www.cta-pt.com/articles/walkers

It isn't the worst parenting in the world, but it isn't the best. I don't know anyone who still uses them, and I'm surprised they are still sold. 

Lily and Ellie's blog posted 2 videos about Trace and Carlin's post high school plans.  Apparently Carlin is doing Crown College online (doesn't want to be tied down going to the campus) for Liberal Arts and already has enough credits to have finished a semester.  Trace says he'd like to do something with horses but for now has taken over Lawson's Lawn Care business.  Says he's praying about going to college still.  The way he says it makes me think he's praying about it like Michelle is still praying about adoption.

42 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Lily and Ellie's blog posted 2 videos about Trace and Carlin's post high school plans.  Apparently Carlin is doing Crown College online (doesn't want to be tied down going to the campus) for Liberal Arts and already has enough credits to have finished a semester.  Trace says he'd like to do something with horses but for now has taken over Lawson's Lawn Care business.  Says he's praying about going to college still.  The way he says it makes me think he's praying about it like Michelle is still praying about adoption.

I just re-checked, and in the video Carlin said "Crown College in Minnesota", rather than the Crown College near them. The crucial difference between the two is that the one in Minnesota is a full, accredited, bachelor's of science in General/Liberal Studies degree granting institution, rather than a bachelor's of biblical studies or whatever it is that Crown/Clown College in Tennessee grants.

http://www.crown.edu/online-degree-programs/generalliberal-studies-bs/

Crown College in Minnesota is still a "Christ-centered" Christian college, and whether it's any better overall I can't say, but it IS actually accredited and grants BS degrees.

Yeah I didn't know that about walkers either. (No kids...not around them.) But you would think that these people who make it all about the babies. all. the. time. would be up to speed on these kinds of developments on the car seats and walkers and couches and whatever the latest thing is that can kill your child.

On the other hand, I can see them taking the more laid back approach of having been around so many kids that they figure, hey...we're watching Allie...she's rolling around a big flat floor (and so not going to plummet down a flight of stairs).

I don't have a position in these mommy debates but I do see both sides.

And the years she will spend indoctrinated in a cult make me so much more concerned.

Just more evidence that they are all massively pro-birth... The rest is just meh to them.

Surprised we haven't seen them all playing a nice, sunny, potentially-deadly game of lawn darts. :/

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

It's like Bates girls are far better students than boys, aren't them? I mean, Zach and Lawson haven't finished any degree, has Nathan? And that poor Trace doesn't seem very smart. On the other side, Michaela is studing a real degree, Erin has finished music studies, Tori and Carlin are also involved in college. Yes, not all their colleges are excellent, but it's better than stay at home changing siblings diapers and gives them some working opportunities.

Do you think Kelly realises  that her daughters are probably more smart or better students than her sons? Or maybe she has been more bonded to the girls and has been better teacher to them. 

I have the feeling Kelly was doing her best in homeschooling (the best she could considering continuous pregnancies and religious limitations) with the first 6-7 kids. But I have also the feeling that the little ones are receiving a very bad homeschooling now, because Kelly is clearly out of parenting.

I think that Nathan at least took some classes at Crown but I'm not 100%.  Since he seems to be next in line to marry, I'm still unclear on how he will support himself and Ashley.

I also wonder about the tree business and if it still is in existence.  I know it was for at least part of last year because the tree stump prop at Brandon and Michael's wedding came from the tree business.  Maybe Nathan's in line to take it over?

AS for the homeschooling of the little ones.  Do you think their littles receive a better or worse education than the Duggar littles of the same age (ie Addie and Ellie vs Johannah and Jennifer)?

All I see with DQ and Kelly is proof that just because your body can handle a pregnancy, doesn't mean you should have one. They just get more and more exhausted with each one until they can't even pull it together enough to try to parent, let alone do all the things they did with the older kids. In some ways it may be good. I don't think the younger Duggars have gotten nearly as much flexi ruler as the older ones did. On the other hand they won't get even the education that their older siblings got either.

5 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

AS for the homeschooling of the little ones.  Do you think their littles receive a better or worse education than the Duggar littles of the same age (ie Addie and Ellie vs Johannah and Jennifer)?

I think it depends on who is teaching. Jana seems like she would be a good teacher. Jinger not so much. In the old blog the Bates talk about how they got a lot of their curriculum advice from the Duggars and it seems like a lot of the Duggar's schooling was online, so I would say they are probably about the same. Either way, both families are going to have some really poorly educated younger kids. 

On 5/2/2016 at 6:36 PM, Melissa1977 said:

There's one thing I cannot understand. How is it posible to not remember 19 names? I mean, I understand Kelly calls Isaiah to Warden, or Jeb to Judson, because they're close in age and look and dress alike. This happens sometimes even in little families. But...not to remember your kids names? Sorry? I know more than 19 names. In fact, teachers learn 25 new names every year. Not so difficult.

Maybe it would be easier to remember the names if they were different. I mean, why do you call 3 daugthers Callie, Addie and Ellie? Come On!

I really scared myself the other day because realized that I can name all the Duggars in the right order.  I'm not quite as good at naming all the Bateses but I could possibly do better than Kelly.

I can also name all 11 in my sister-in-law's family also in correct order too.   I've only met some of them once.

I'll say this about the online homeschool curriculum the Duggars endorse, Monarch; It's a decent curriculum. It was used on me for the first year I was homeschooled and I did learn actual Science, English and History that was a lot more than just Jesus! The math was dismal though not in content in the way it was taught/explained. If the Bates use Monarch they are probably getting something comparable to midlevel public schools (At least the ones here in NC.) 

The real problem with parent graded online curriculums is the parent grades everything, so in theory a kid could be getting 50/60s or just not doing the work and parents could wave them through and fix the grades to be higher.  

3 minutes ago, tumblr said:

If the Bates use Monarch they are probably getting something comparable to midlevel public schools (At least the ones here in NC.) 

Sadly they didn't stick with what the Duggars used, they went with ABeka video courses which I've read are dismal. 

@Palimpsest You are now the official Duggar-name-sequencer. I can barely remember more than a few names, forget any sort of order.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived