IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 5

Criscat

On 4/8/2016 at 8:30 PM, MatthewDuggar said:

Bin is such a filthy sinner!  But, he's forgiven!!  Pimpin' out that fundiewear!

12985443_471081259764207_206148285142059

Is it wrong the when I see this I kind of wish "grand rapper bin" would be in a barbershop quartet called "4 given" singing "sweet adeline?"

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I would  like Ben to get a gold grill for his front teeth that says "WWJD?"

G4J. Grillin4Jesus

I work in a profession where women and menhave to dress modest/conservative. Everyday I see women looking well-put together, beautiful, hot, trendy, etc. and none of them are bragging about how they are fashionably modest. None of them seem to have a problem finding nice modest clothing. The reality is that other a couple of times, the Duggar women's idea of fashionably modest is oversize, drab clothing that looks outdated and like something most of us would wear while out good clothes are in the washer. It's why we go posting crazy when one has on a nice outfit that would let them blend in with non-fundy people. 

Honestly, I usually show less skin than Jessa. It's not for religious reasons, but because I feel comfortable that way, I don't have to worry that I'll be exposed if my clothing slips a little when I move, and with a family history that includes numerous cases of skin cancer on both sides, I try not to subject bare skin to the sun more than necessary.

You know what, though? It doesn't make me more moral or more righteous than a person who is wearing next to nothing. It's just clothing. It doesn't dictate who I am as a person, my attitude, or how I treat others. It doesn't change my priorities or make me more spiritual. It's a covering, nothing more.

Turning "modesty" into a pseudo-religion seems strange to me. (I use the word in quotation marks because "modesty" as done by certain fundamentalist Christians can become very ostentatious and attention-seeking. Getting everyone to look at you is getting everyone to look at you, even if it's because you're so much more "modest" than everyone else.) Dress how you want. Dress how you feel comfortable and makes you feel good about your body. Obsessing about how others may perceive you is not productive. The Bible talks very little about clothing and very much about compassion and charity, but some fundamentalists seem to reverse that equation.

In the 80s and early 90s I did a lot of backpacking around India, much of it off the beaten tourist track. I wore shalwar kameez (tunic and loose trousers) for most of my travels, and particularly appreciated the long scarf which came with the outfit, to be draped around the shoulders or up over the head and the lower part of the face when you felt you were being stared at. This was how the local women used the scarf - as an adjunct to modesty when required - and it was a message to local males that you were a modest woman intent only on a journey, and did not wish to be accosted. It was, if you like, apparel shorthand!

2 hours ago, IzzyWhizzy said:

Nike alert: Who knew that googling "Christian Baseball Caps" would return images of at least two close ups of men's underpants?!

One time at Tim Horton's, my family saw a guy wearing a baseball cap that said "FBI Jesus." Google searching that led to some incredibly strange results too.

(Turns out it means Firm Believer in Jesus. I think it may not have had the desired effect, though, because it led to my family having a discussion about how Jesus would actually be the ideal FBI agent: He already knows what you did, but he forgives you for it, so problem solved! :pb_mrgreen:)

I wonder how Jessa feels about Bin's wardrobe?  She grew up with boys wearing regulation polos and chinos, i.e. dad clothes, so she might find it very exciting to be with a guy wearing more expressive, youthful, modern clothing. I think he looks like a jackass but then what do I know?  I'm 58.  I also think they look a little strange together as she looks rather matronly but again that is nothing new for her.  In her youth the boys got to wear middle class normal stuff and the girls had to wear frumpers and go barefoot. Even today JB looks like every other suburban dad who shops at J C Penny and Michelle looks like....Michelle so it is not like Jessa has grown up in a world where the guys more or less dress on a similar level to their wives and daughters.

11 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

I can go along with the idea that God wants women to not deliberately dress so men can't keep their eyes of your curves. Also it won't hurt to dress to keep in mind some men struggle to see you as a person if they see too much of you. Not your fault, but being considerate helps. I always dress modest myself, as I much prefer interesting conversations with men to flirting or suggestive talk. 

Here's the thing.  I don't dress for men or for the opposite gender.  I dress for me.  I wear things which I like and which make me feel comfortable and I hope flatter me.  Personally my choices are dresses with short to above knee skirts.  Shorter dresses get coupled with black tights at work.  Cleavage gets hidden at work.

Could men stumble by what I wear?  Yes.  Do I care?  No.  It's not my job to protect men's eyes, and men have been stumbling since man began.  What makes people stumble is relative, in Victorian times an ankle led to sexy thought.  The men who can't see me as person due to what I'm wearing aren't men I want to be around. If someone gets hard because I walked passed, then that's their issue, yes certain clothes make it more likely but it will still happen.  Dealing with people your attracted to, while knowing nothing will happen, is something everyone has to deal with.

For me, my clothing has nothing to do with the opposite gender and sometimes I think men get a bit egocentric in thinking that all female clothing choices are about them.

Speaking of modesty competitions,

kelly and the Tin man dress

v. DQ and the way more Godly version of the awful dress...

image.png

image.png

@bingbangboom, good grief!  What a fugly, horrible, dress!  It doesn't flatter either mother.  One thing I will say about J'chelle's longer dress is that it hides her shoes a bit.  Kelly's shoes are just awful!  Can't these women ever wear heels?

@PennySycamore such a nightmare of a modest dress, had no idea they both wore this monstrosity...:cray-cray:

the heels thing, I would imagine a woman would have lots of orthopedic pain and problems from all the uterus warriors for Jesus. Maybe heels hurt?

there are cute flats sold, and with no modesty rules for feet should help free some options up!

26 minutes ago, bingbangboom said:

@PennySycamore such a nightmare of a modest dress, had no idea they both wore this monstrosity...:cray-cray:

the heels thing, I would imagine a woman would have lots of orthopedic pain and problems from all the uterus warriors for Jesus. Maybe heels hurt?

there are cute flats sold, and with no modesty rules for feet should help free some options up!

I know several women who are unable to wear cute flats, too, because of very bad back/feet problems.

Not the point, but I can't help focusing on how much shorter Michelle is.  That dress is hitting the ground on her. 

The only place that dress belongs is a bonfire.

But I will say that Kelly wore it better.  She didn't make it floor length (nothing wrong with floor length, just not on that dress) and didn't hike up the neckline to almost turtleneck.

I wonder what the 'before' pic of the dress looks like before alterations.  I'm also wondering if it came in more than 1 length.

AS for height-- heard through the grapevine that Michelle's 5'2.  I don't think Kelly's much taller (if that) because height doesn't seem to run in her family.

Just now, 2manyKidzzz said:

Am I thick here, or did they "share" this dress? I mean, hopefully there aren't two of them in the world. 

IIRC, they said that the dresses are two different ones, but who knows? I mean, Gil let JB wear his clean shirt to Josh and Anna's wedding because JB forgot to bring a white shirt, so there's a standing tradition for it :P

1 minute ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

IIRC, they said that the dresses are two different ones, but who knows? I mean, Gil let JB wear his clean shirt to Josh and Anna's wedding because JB forgot to bring a white shirt, so there's a standing tradition for it :P

Ha Ha, what force in the universe allowed for that....did Kelly, or was it Meechellle, I don't know who wore it first, seek out an identical dress. Frightening thought. 

Didn't Michelle say during Jill's wedding episode that her girls helped her find the dress, and best of all, it was on the sales rack!!!!! IF that is the truth, well, it's no wonder.

Judging from the colors (Gil's Malibu blue tie) I am guessing that Kelly wore it at Alyssa's wedding.

Also judging from Joshley's tie, Michelle wore it at Jill's wedding.  IIRC Alyssa married about a month before Jill did.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@bingbangboom, good grief!  What a fugly, horrible, dress!  It doesn't flatter either mother.  One thing I will say about J'chelle's longer dress is that it hides her shoes a bit.  Kelly's shoes are just awful!  Can't these women ever wear heels?

I have osteoporosis and have had zero pregnancies; meaning I can only really wear orthopedic and flat, dull shoes. 

These women have had 17 and 19 successful pregnancies respectively, so I can't fault them for the shoe thing; because if I was them I'm pretty sure my body would've fallen apart by now.

1 hour ago, bingbangboom said:

Speaking of modesty competitions,

kelly and the Tin man dress

v. DQ and the way more Godly version of the awful dress...

You know it's funny, but in spite of covering absolutely everything with those godawful ruffles and Michelle obscuring her skin from neck to ankle, both those dresses draw my view straight to the chest area with how they're cut, especially on Michelle. Personally I don't have an issue with that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the highly self-conscious push for "modesty." 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

You mean Devil Whore Shoes?  Never!!!

That dress is a sight to behold.  It's like a fucked up Who Wore It Better?  Neither.  Neither wore it better.  Neither wore it well.  It was equally awful on both. And my retinas are bleeding.  Thanks, ladies.  

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You know it's funny, but in spite of covering absolutely everything with those godawful ruffles and Michelle obscuring her skin from neck to ankle, both those dresses draw my view straight to the chest area with how they're cut, especially on Michelle. Personally I don't have an issue with that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the highly self-conscious push for "modesty." 

Agreed. On Meechelle, the girls stuck out like huge points and looked to me very, very Defrauding. Or at least incredibly and awkwardly distracting. 

At least it wasn't a December wedding. Pause for a moment, if you will, and imagine it in shimmering metallic green...... albeit slightly darker than the signature shade they are fond of twinning...

• sawasdee featured this topic
  • SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic
  • Destiny unfeatured this topic

Archived