nickelodeon

Okay guys, I found this crazy fundie family for us to snark on. It seems the dad had some sort of falling out with his church over some doctrinal issue and now the whole family lives in complete isolation, home-churching, homesteading, the whole deal. The little kids and the goats run wild over the whole property and don't even know how to read or write. The kids, I mean. The goats are great book-lovers.

The mom is totally checked out, cares about nothing but praying and breastfeeding, and all the chores fall to the oldest daughter, Thomasin. I feel SO BAD for Thomasin, she just seems sad all the time. I feel like some really weird and disturbing things are going on behind the scenes with this family. The kids are so repressed and isolated, all they do with their lives is compete for their awful parents' approval by reciting bible verses and tattling on each other. I get the feeling this whole thing is going to fall to pieces very soon.

#freethomasin

2 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Links?

LOL - so I just tried googling "Thomasin goats" because I really wanted to read more about this.  Turns out, Thomasin Goats lived from 1700 to 1735.  Just trying to save people time ;)  Just kidding.  Seriously - what are the odds?

18 minutes ago, Whoosh said:

Ahh LOL.  This movie sounds fascinating and absolutely terrifying.  I hope they did it well.  I need to see this.

Me too. Love me some psych horror. Not alone though, must be in good company and with chips :) 

My daughter saw it last night. Her review: Really creepy, beautifully shot, great score

Yup, it is a (creepy, disturbing) movie! I think a lot of FJ users would find it interesting, as a lot of the patterns of weirdness that we snark on here are played out in a 17th century Puritan context.

Is it just creepy, disturbing?  Or is this gory?  Because I can do creepy, disturbing but can't stand gore.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:58 PM, nickelodeon said:

Yup, it is a (creepy, disturbing) movie! I think a lot of FJ users would find it interesting, as a lot of the patterns of weirdness that we snark on here are played out in a 17th century Puritan context.

Agreed. After we saw this movie on Saturday night, my husband remarked that the way the parents in it treated their children is the way "those Duggar people" are trying to do things today. I was so proud of him for acknowledging the similarity between the movie and my fundie obsession. :my_shy: 

This looks fantastic, and I wasn't aware of it, thank you for sharing! I love films like this - real horror in my opinion, not gore horror like Saw etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to watch it, but the trailer nearly made me wet my pants. The movie will probably give me nightmares. Is it really worth it??

I just saw this last week. Hardcore horror fan here (though I don't care for the gore-for-gore's-sake type of movie).

My first reaction to it immediately after seeing it was, "This wasn't scary." But within about 2 hours after that, I had changed my tune.

No--it wasn't jump-out-of-your-seat scary, but it was eerie, creepy, and atmospheric. Subtle, I guess is the word I'm looking for. Some of the images stayed with me well into the days following my viewing of it, and that is what the best horror films (and any film, really) should do.

For me, there were a lot of resonances with The Shining. Moody, brooding shots that stay on the screen for a long time, and then strategic music builds up.

It's a movie you really have to be paying attention to, because it is spoke in 17th-C Early Modern English.

On the whole, I would highly recommend it. It won't necessarily make you wet your pants (unless you're highly susceptible), but it's creepy and brooding and will have you thinking long after the credits roll.

And as people have pointed out above, it's all about fundamentalism and cultural views relating to girls/women.

This is a fabulous example of what a horror film can be. Instead of all this gore for gore's sake garbage they keep churning out.

A Field In England is kind of similar in tone and time setting, also worth watching.

• 2 months later...

Archived