IGNORED

Another Woman Who Doesn't Fit The Fundie Sterotype

debrand

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/1 ... 57326.html

Fighter pilot Heather "Lucky" Penney didn't have time to be scared. There was a hijacked commercial airliner headed to Washington, D.C., and she was ordered to stop it.

"I was prepared to die for my country," she said. "It's something everyone else would have done if they were in my shoes. I didn't have time to feel fear. We had a mission, and there was a sense of urgency."

On Sept. 11, 2001, Penney and her commanding officer were ordered to stop United Airlines Flight 93 from hitting a target in the nation's capital. But they didn't have any missiles or even ammunition. So Col. Marc Sasseville decided they would use their own planes to bring it down.

He planned to strike the plane's cockpit. She opted to go for its tail, Penney said.

What this particular article doesn't report is that she has said that she thought there would be no time for her to eject and still made the target, so she was preparing to die.

I don't understand how fundies can read stories like this and still hold onto their views on gender.

I'd be willing to bet they don't read these stories. They are very selective about what material they read and use to support their position. Opposing viewpoints - or even reality - simply doesn't make its way into their bubble.

My sister has served time in Afghanistan and Iraq. Granted, she doesn't fly a fighter plane but I think that she would be brave enough to do something like that.

What is sad is that it was accepted that no matter what, the people on that plane were going to die. I know that there is no way around that fact but it is sad just the same.

They're busy saying "yes, but it would be better if she was home raising her babies to be the next generation taht did this and her HUSBAND was doing that job"

They manage to ignore stories right in the Bible of women like Jael and Deborah.

And in Luke, when the angel tells Mary that she is to give birth to Jesus, he does not ask her father if that's OK with him. In Matthew, we see that Joseph (understandably) had some issues when he found out that his fiancee was pregnant. But again, Mary's father does not enter into the equation. Definitely not a fundie courtship model. Can you imagine if Mary's father had been someone like Steve Maxwell or Papa Botkin? ("Who do those angels think they are, coming down here and talking to Mary and Joseph without talking to ME first??? This is MY daughter. She belongs to ME. And I want my own book in the Bible out of this." Or if it's Jim Bob, he'd want a Very Special Episode.)

Fundies would most likely say that this woman was doing/taking a MAN's job. She probably got it through affirmative action, she's obviously not going to be marriage material and will die alone and childless. Oh, and she's probably a evil feminist and secular lesbian atheist. Moreover, they will point out that females make poor fighter pilots because they are too emotional and get confused with all the sparkling buttons. In the end, women makes lousy fighter pilots, they would probably run scared in the other direction when the going gets tough, and they are taking these valuable jobs away from obviously qualified men.

Did I cover everything?

Fundies would most likely say that this woman was doing/taking a MAN's job. She probably got it through affirmative action, she's obviously not going to be marriage material and will die alone and childless. Oh, and she's probably a evil feminist and secular lesbian atheist. Moreover, they will point out that females make poor fighter pilots because they are too emotional and get confused with all the sparkling buttons. In the end, women makes lousy fighter pilots, they would probably run scared in the other direction when the going gets tough, and they are taking these valuable jobs away from obviously qualified men.

Did I cover everything?

Yes, you covered it well. But I would add something about the woman being corrupted by television, movies, pop music, public schools, Hillary Clinton, or all of the above.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/11/heather-lucky-penney-flight-93_n_957326.html

What this particular article doesn't report is that she has said that she thought there would be no time for her to eject and still made the target, so she was preparing to die.

I don't understand how fundies can read stories like this and still hold onto their views on gender.

The version of the article that I read was clear that she was ready to die - she was going to hit the tail while her supervisor headed to take out the cockpit.

Archived