IGNORED

Scholarly references on Patriarchy?

refugee

Hello. One of our teens is writing a college paper on the evils of patriarchy, springboarding off our family's involvement in the lifestyle before we left, and the fallout we continue to see in former friends and in healing our own wounds.

The kid is looking for opinions and articles that can be cited in an academic paper. I've got Joyce's quiverfull book on hold at the library. Websites are okay, but they have to be "credible sources" -- a blog is not considered a credible source for academic purposes. Also two scholarly articles are needed for this paper.

Anybody got other suggestions on resources?

Thanks.

I am a retired college professor.  Goals  of a research assignment include locating and evaluating sources, as a means to help the student improve his or her analytical skills.

If the student is unable to locate and evaluate sources, then he or she should change topics.

Hi! Some recent scholarly publications include "Disturbing the data: looking into gender and family size matters with US Evangelical homeschoolers" by Melissa Sherfinski and Melissa Chesanko, which was reprinted this month in Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography.

Another one that might be helpful is "My Quiver is Bigger than Yours: Metaphor, Gender, and Ideology in Quiverfull Discourse," by Andrea Terry in the Fall 2014 issue of Journal of Communication & Religion.

To get hold of these, since these are pretty recent articles and some schools take a while to keep current on their journal collections, your kid will want to find out if their college library has a good Interlibrary Loan program, which they can use to order scans or copies of articles from other libraries. You all should be able to find this out by checking the library website, or going to the front desk and asking!

45 minutes ago, gustava said:

I am a retired college professor.  Goals  of a research assignment include locating and evaluating sources, as a means to help the student improve his or her analytical skills.

If the student is unable to locate and evaluate sources, then he or she should change topics.

Thanks. This is true.

Am just trying to encourage a dyslexic kid, tackling college with an astonishing amount of courage and grit and determination, who feels really strongly on the subject. Kid asked me to ask here, but neither of us is really expecting everyone else to do kid's work. Kid is still in the process of figuring out how to find resources.

However, will be passing all responses along to kid, so your advice will be considered along with the rest, and in general, it's good advice that kid has heard from me, and from other professors at college, in kid's first term, last fall. Not sure the lesson was completely learned, but repetition can be a wondrous tool.

2 hours ago, refugee said:

Hello. One of our teens is writing a college paper on the evils of patriarchy, springboarding off our family's involvement in the lifestyle before we left, and the fallout we continue to see in former friends and in healing our own wounds.

The kid is looking for opinions and articles that can be cited in an academic paper. I've got Joyce's quiverfull book on hold at the library. Websites are okay, but they have to be "credible sources" -- a blog is not considered a credible source for academic purposes. Also two scholarly articles are needed for this paper.

Anybody got other suggestions on resources?

Thanks.

IN addition to the books already mentioned here, there's also Quivering Daughters by Hillary McFarland and No Will of My Own by Wade Burleson. Often when writing research papers, I'd find my way to great sources by mining the bibliographies of books as well, so he may want to check out the bibliographies of all the books we mention here. Quoting directly from the writings of patriarchy folks like Doug Wilson, Botkins, etc.. would also probably be useful.

3 hours ago, refugee said:

Thanks. This is true.

Am just trying to encourage a dyslexic kid, tackling college with an astonishing amount of courage and grit and determination, who feels really strongly on the subject. Kid asked me to ask here, but neither of us is really expecting everyone else to do kid's work. Kid is still in the process of figuring out how to find resources.

However, will be passing all responses along to kid, so your advice will be considered along with the rest, and in general, it's good advice that kid has heard from me, and from other professors at college, in kid's first term, last fall. Not sure the lesson was completely learned, but repetition can be a wondrous tool.

Thanks for your response.  I also taught for several years in a college program for students with language-based learning disabilities, so know that many 2 and 4 year schools have disability support services...some excellent, some soso.

Good luck!

You can also use google scholar to open a search that only returns scholarly articles, so you don't have to wade through the blogs and wiki's of the world

2 hours ago, Mrsaztx said:

You can also use google scholar to open a search that only returns scholarly articles, so you don't have to wade through the blogs and wiki's of the world

Good suggestion. 

Google scholar saves lives. Also tell them to contact a reference librarian at their school, they can help them know where to look for sources and generally become more acquainted with a college library.

Thanks, all! Will pass these suggestions on and leave the follow-through in teen's hands.

I think one problem teen had was not believing that many people even know what patriarchy is, outside our cult/patriarchal social group (the state christian homeschool organization was taken over by patriarchal pushers of "vision" -- not just VF, but "vision" was a buzzword for several years before we left. "Family vision" and "being (fill in the blank) of vision" and "big" names for keynote and other speakers, names that appear often in FJ discussions).

Teens and twenty-somethings raised outside the patriarchal cult give our teens blank stares and incredulous responses whenever they talk about the culture they grew up in.

god I want to throw up for being a part of it all.

If this is a college course they should have access to a college library.  Most library websites are a good place to start searching.  There is usually a general search function where your teen might want to try a search like "christian patriarchy".  Most library website also have research guides that point users to more specific databases, such as religion or sociology databases (or some other topic depending on what the course is and what programs are offered by the university). Like this: http://guides.library.cornell.edu/libguides/home

Most college libraries will also have a reference desk staffed by librarians who can help students with their research and teach them how to use the resources available to them (this is also usually offered through online instant messaging if that is more convenient - although it's often more helpful to go in person). Like this: https://www.library.cornell.edu/ask

If you have access to an academic library they have far more resources than are available on Google Scholar and people who are equipped to guide the research process (although not do it for them).

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Teens and twenty-somethings raised outside the patriarchal cult give our teens blank stares and incredulous responses whenever they talk about the culture they grew up in.

Refugee I get it. I was raised in a flavor of this as well. It gets easier but it takes time.

I have "My Quiver is Bigger than Yours: Metaphor, Gender, and Ideology in Quiverfull Discourse". PM me if you need it.

Most of my sources are related to the Duggars, specifically, but:

Johnson, David, and Jeff Van Vonderen. The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse: Recognizing & Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority within the Church. Grand Rapids: Bethany House Publishers, 1991.

and 

Heimlich, Janet. Breaking Their Will: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment. New York: Prometheus Press, 2011.

Might have some good information. And I second the suggestion to mine bibliographies for more sources. That's the easiest way to find related articles/books and "primary" sources (like the Pearls' books as examples of "biblical chastisement").

Jstor.org is a database /platform for scientific/scholarly articles and it's quite orientated social sciences, history, etc. Access to most articles is not free, but he should have access to them through its college library. 

I saw several mentions to Google scholar and mining bibliographies, and I add my vote to that. Here's a recent Guardian article on how to search efficiently: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/15/how-to-use-search-like-a-pro-10-tips-and-tricks-for-google-and-beyond?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail .T . The article is about Google, but the tips apply for any search engine.

Diary of an autodidact has a number of well informed posts on patriarchy, including a list of books that "ttouch the subject": http://fiddlrts.blogspot.be/p/christian-patriarchy-posts.html?m=1 . The posts are peppered with references to other books too, so it might be interesting to have a look. 

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Archived