IGNORED

New Year, Same Old Maxwells

mango_fandango

6 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I switch back and forth between ground beef and hamburger meat. It's the meat one uses to make hamburgers. I think it's less redundant than it appears at first glance. What about cake flour?

I call it ground beef.  Remember these are the Maxwells.  They call deviled eggs picnic eggs.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always say ground beef, even when buying it for the few times I want to make a hamburger patty. I am partial to the already ready to cook hamburger patties.

21 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I switch back and forth between ground beef and hamburger meat. It's the meat one uses to make hamburgers. I think it's less redundant than it appears at first glance. What about cake flour? ;)

Cake flour is a different type of flour than regular all purpose flour.  It's finer and has a lower protein count and gives cakes a lighter texture.  You wouldn't use it for a lot of bread recipes, for example.

you can make a cake flour substitute by using a 3:1 of all purpose flour and cornstarch.

Probably more than you wanted to know :) but that one isn't just a figure of speech.

I call it ground beef or hamburger. I can't recall specially ever hearing it called hamburger meat, though I see that in recipes occasionally. I'd guess it's a colloquialism.

1 hour ago, twin2 said:

Yeah, saying hamburger meat is fairly common in the Midwest, always makes me laugh.  Nothing else to add, going to go eat a banana fruit now.

hamburger meat can have extra beef fat added to it while ground beef does not.

a lot of hamburger recipes (including Bobby Flays which is perfect imo) call for a much higher fat to beef ratio of like 70/30 30/70 and you wouldn't want to use ground beef with a lower ratio or you'd get a really dry burger.

and with this I'll stop my tutorials of useless information no one asked for. :) 

23 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I call it ground beef.  Remember these are the Maxwells.  They call deviled eggs picnic eggs.

Did they ever post a recipe for theirs?  My daughter loves them so much that when she was little she took a whole platter of them into her room so no one else would eat them and promptly spilled everyehrre...that was as fun to clean as you can imagine. :) 

she still loves them, but no one else is really a fan so I'm always curious as to how other people do them in hopes of finding a recipe for the rest of us.

Here in Britain we usually call it mince, occasionally specifying minced beef/minced lamb. Mincemeat, on the other hand, is sweet and what is in mince pies. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

They need a caroling chore pack,

Something to pad up the products list...

49 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Did they ever post a recipe for theirs?  My daughter loves them so much that when she was little she took a whole platter of them into her room so no one else would eat them and promptly spilled everyehrre...that was as fun to clean as you can imagine. :) 

she still loves them, but no one else is really a fan so I'm always curious as to how other people do them in hopes of finding a recipe for the rest of us.

I don't typically use a recipe. Eggs (obviously), mayonnaise about equal to the volume of egg yolks, mustard (a squirt per egg, usually plain yellow), several dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and a dash or two of dill pickle juice (or more if the mixture is too thick). If I don't have pickle juice I'll substitute lemon juice or dill pickle relish- but I don't like the chunky bits in my deviled eggs. Combine the ingredients, taste and add salt if needed (often the pickle juice is salty enough that you don't need more).

You can also used mashed avocado instead of mayonnaise, those are delicious.   I use a bit of Dijon mustard in the egg and mayo mix.  You can dust on top with paprika.  Other good toppings are smoked salmon, fish roe, crumbled bacon, or thinly sliced cucumber.

1 hour ago, AreteJo said:

You can also used mashed avocado instead of mayonnaise, those are delicious.   I use a bit of Dijon mustard in the egg and mayo mix.  You can dust on top with paprika.  Other good toppings are smoked salmon, fish roe, crumbled bacon, or thinly sliced cucumber.

Or you can use melted butter for the fat.  I hate mayo with a passion and can't stand the smell.  I can make deviled eggs since I read the butter thick.  Avocado does sound good though.

25 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Or you can use melted butter for the fat.  I hate mayo with a passion and can't stand the smell.  I can make deviled eggs since I read the butter thick.  Avocado does sound good though.

@PennySycamore, have you ever tried homemade mayo?    Far superior to anything you can get out of a jar, no comparison in taste.  I'm going to try your better suggestion after Easter.  I always make way too many Easter eggs, so I'm always making deviled eggs afterward.

1 hour ago, AreteJo said:

@PennySycamore, have you ever tried homemade mayo?    Far superior to anything you can get out of a jar, no comparison in taste.  I'm going to try your better suggestion after Easter.  I always make way too many Easter eggs, so I'm always making deviled eggs afterward.

I have never tried homemade mayo, but I will admit that I've been a little curious when I see Martha Stewart or Julia Child make it. It doesn't look like the commercial stuff at all!  I'm just afraid that the smell would make me barf.  I have that strong an aversion to mayo.

I do like hollandaise though and it's similar (egg yolks, lemon juice and liquid fat emulsified) except with melted butter. Yum!

13 hours ago, clese said:

As soon as Anna Chris announced the pregnancy I wondered how long it would take for Anna's varicose . Veins to come up poor her years and years and years of pregnancies with varicose veins.   I wonder if it'll affect her health?

My hairdresser had them on her 20s, before she had kids, so I think genetics and standing on a concrete floor all day had something to do with it.

One of my mom's friends had 12 kids. One day I went to her house on an errand, and she had her back to the door as she washed dishes. I thought she was wearing blue knee socks--but it was varicose veins.

8 hours ago, halcionne said:

I switch back and forth between ground beef and hamburger meat. It's the meat one uses to make hamburgers. I think it's less redundant than it appears at first glance. What about cake flour? ;)

Well, there's cake flour, bread flour, and all-purpose flour. I have and use all three, because I'm a baking geek.

On 1/20/2016 at 11:24 AM, Anonymousguest said:

I wish fundies were the only ones to do this! My face book feed would be a lot less annoying.

The other one that makes me twitch is "I seen this." Hate!

I make mayonnaise using walnut oil-- it is totally different from store bought-- so scrumtious and much healthier.

Another great twist if you like curry is to mix a bit of curry powder to taste into the deviled egg filling.  This year I'm going to try with a bit of Thai red curry paste as well.

15 hours ago, Hane said:

Well, there's cake flour, bread flour, and all-purpose flour. I have and use all three, because I'm a baking geek.

And let's not forget self-rising flour, corn flour, tapioca flour, pastry flour, and (I think) coconut flour.

I prefer lime juice to lemon juice when I make mayonnaise.  The only brand of mayo I buy is McCormick's Mayonesa with lime juice.  Food Lion carries it in the international section.

Australian here, we say mince.  Generally beef mince.  Sometimes chicken mince.  And we've started making our own mayonnaise.  I don't know what's in it, besides freshly laid eggs.

A thought about the Christopher/ Anna Marie marriage -- in the blog post Sarah wrote for their 5th anniversary, she describes Anna Marie as "a fun mixture of spunk, determination, joy and adventure" which struck me at the time. F*n, determination and adventure in Maxhell? From a FEMALE?

Not to mention that Chris doesn't seem to possess any of those qualities. I've started to wonder whether Anna Marie has mastered the fundie female art of leading while appearing to be perfectly submissive.

All the seasoned meat, cheese, cookies, sprinkles and parties she enjoys have aroused my suspicions. The photo of her ladling the seasoned meat onto the burrito with a broad, beatific smile just might be a fundie FU to Steve.

9 hours ago, Granwych said:

And let's not forget self-rising flour, corn flour, tapioca flour, pastry flour, and (I think) coconut flour.

And cassava, teff, spelt, kamut, einkorn, hi-gluten, rye, oat, buckwheat, blah blah blah... I think I've got at least 20 different kinds of flour in my baking closet.

If I'm not making my own, Duke's mayo is the bomb. 

What kind of oil do you all use for your homemade mayo? I made my own once with a recipe that was about half avocado oil and half olive oil. I couldn't stand the smell and never used any of it. I'm guessing it was the olive oil?

20 minutes ago, bean said:

What kind of oil do you all use for your homemade mayo? I made my own once with a recipe that was about half avocado oil and half olive oil. I couldn't stand the smell and never used any of it. I'm guessing it was the olive oil?

A high quality sunflower oil lends a very neutral taste. 

Archived