IGNORED

New Year, Same Old Maxwells

mango_fandango

I use a high quality olive oil in homemade mayo and I love it.  I think the smell you got was probably from the avocado oil, I have never known olive oil mayo to smell.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried making mayo with olive oil once and didn't like it because it tasted too much like olive oil (surprise, surprise). If I make it with plain vegetable oil, it turns out nice.

On 1/22/2016 at 3:45 PM, VodouDoll said:

When my husband was a kid, his southern baptist great grandparents wouldn't let him play any games with dice because the soldiers threw dice for Jesus' robe after the crucifixion. So weird.

I wonder how they'd reconcile the casting of lots in the Jewish and Christian scriptures....Here it is, Acts 1:26, and those rascals are (presumably) tossing dice to see who takes the place of Judas. 

I use "light tasting" olive oil. Good olive oil has a very strong flavor, which I like usually but in mayo it's just too much. Light tasting olive oil, an egg, Lemon juice, mustard powder, salt, combine with an immersion blender on low. It's delicious. I never really cared for mayo til I made it myself. It's a whole different ballgame.

3 hours ago, bertnee said:

I use "light tasting" olive oil. Good olive oil has a very strong flavor, which I like usually but in mayo it's just too much. Light tasting olive oil, an egg, Lemon juice, mustard powder, salt, combine with an immersion blender on low. It's delicious. I never really cared for mayo til I made it myself. It's a whole different ballgame.

This intrigues me! So the egg is simply raw, this doesn't get cooked at all?  TIA for putting up with an egg-norant but honest question!

On 1/23/2016 at 9:59 AM, Bethella said:

I don't typically use a recipe. Eggs (obviously), mayonnaise about equal to the volume of egg yolks, mustard (a squirt per egg, usually plain yellow), several dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and a dash or two of dill pickle juice (or more if the mixture is too thick). If I don't have pickle juice I'll substitute lemon juice or dill pickle relish- but I don't like the chunky bits in my deviled eggs. Combine the ingredients, taste and add salt if needed (often the pickle juice is salty enough that you don't need more).

What, no Tabasco or Sriracha? That's what makes them deviled!

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

What, no Tabasco or Sriracha? That's what makes them deviled!

Nope, I hate hot sauce/chilies/peppers. I have major issues trying to eat in Mexican restaurants.

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

This intrigues me! So the egg is simply raw, this doesn't get cooked at all?  TIA for putting up with an egg-norant but honest question!

Yes, the egg is raw. Some recipes use just the yolk.

Making it with an immersion blender is super fast and painless. (Google "30 second mayo" if you want some recipes.)

Late to the party once again. Did anyone see the post where Sarah got herself a dog? I am totally shocked. Ellie is an English Cream Golden Retriever. I am surprised that Steve allowed this. She is an adorable little puppy. Maybe Steve is trying to keep Sarah happy. Ellie is a replacement for a child.

About Ellie:

She’s 8 weeks! Yes, I’m really enjoying her. She’s a live wire.

2 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Late to the party once again. Did anyone see the post where Sarah got herself a dog? I am totally shocked. Ellie is an English Cream Golden Retriever. I am surprised that Steve allowed this. She is an adorable little puppy. Maybe Steve is trying to keep Sarah happy. Ellie is a replacement for a child.

About Ellie:

There's a thread on this:

7 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

There's a thread on this:

Thanks! I never would have found it given it doesn't have Maxwell in the title or was tagged Maxwell Family. Maybe one of the mods can change it.

On 1/26/2016 at 4:13 AM, uber frau said:

. I thought they were casting lots. Because it's totally different.

I also thought casting lots was different from throwing dice, that it involved several stones with one stone being different?

Also, apparently God allowed the Israelites to cast lots in order to determine His will for a given situation (Joshua 18:6-10; 1 Chronicles 24:5,31)

4 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Thanks! I never would have found it given it doesn't have Maxwell in the title or was tagged Maxwell Family. Maybe one of the mods can change it.

This also makes me ask why there are so many Maxwell threads? Every other family gets one thread. The Maxwell's get a new one every couple blog posts. there are usually 2 or 3 Maxwell threads going at once, often with some overlap in topic.

On 1/23/2016 at 1:22 AM, Season of life... said:

Holy burrito bacchanalia, Batman! Not just meat, but SEASONED meat! Add in some cheese and we've arrived on the dark side.

I'd love this flavor flaunting to be an FU to Steve. You may control where they live, when and where they vacation and the scope of their jobs, but dammit, you will not control their burritos!

Just one perk of being a lesser 'extended family' in Maxhell--life tastes at least a little better.

There is now CHEESE!  You can see it!  Well, it's orange, so maybe it's cheese-like food product, but still, cheese in those burritos!

2 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

This also makes me ask why there are so many Maxwell threads? Every other family gets one thread. The Maxwell's get a new one every couple blog posts. there are usually 2 or 3 Maxwell threads going at once, often with some overlap in topic.

I was just thinking the same thing.  Shouldn't there be just one Maxwell thread where all things Maxwell go. 

3 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

This comes up every so often.  I prefer the multiple threads.  The Maxwells are so god awful boring I would not read a mega thread on them.  I do read the shorter threads on individual blog posts.  I wouldn't have even peeked into this thread if it weren't for this comment showing in my unread content.  I have read the thread on Sara's no pup.  *shrug* 

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2016 at 9:33 AM, fundiefan said:

I am astonished. And that's saying something. The level of mundane they've reached has surpassed prior life and I never would have thought that possible. 

I was pedaling along on my bike today trying to sort out why we are fascinated with the Maxwells.   Like the Seinfeld "show about nothing", the Maxwells are the family about nothing.  Um, except Seinfeld was brilliant.   

By the way, @SolomonFundy, I may never be free of the mental image of the Frumper Adjustment Period again, ever. 

Archived