IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 10: Taking Photos of Screaming Izzie

Coconut Flan

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

BUT...do people just stop being missionaries when disease outbreaks occur? I'm talking about real people, real missionaries and people who are working in the real world realm of mission service? Disease outbreaks happen all over the place and pretty readily...and many things can have devastating effects on a developing fetus. If a gestating Duggar was going to go into isolation for every disease outbreak, they'd forever be isolated!

I highly doubt any Duggar is using BC beyond some NFP- actual birth control? Nope.

No, they do not. My grandparents were missionaries for 50 years in Africa. All of their children were born there. They lost a child to strep throat due to no access to the necessary meds. My grandmother contracted polio while there and was brought to the US to recuperate. One well, although her body had life long problems she returned to the mission field until retirement. But, my grandparents were in no way anything like the Duggars/Dillards. They built hospitals, schools and taught anything that needed to be taught to help to improve the lives of those they were serving.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Did Jesus have a Y chromosome?  If so, whose?  Sorry to throw this little gem out there, but the Virgin Mary discussion set me off.

Apparently the Holy Spirit does lol, because that's who came down and made her pregnant.

12 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Did Jesus have a Y chromosome?  If so, whose?  Sorry to throw this little gem out there, but the Virgin Mary discussion set me off.

From God the father.  The X came from Mary, of course.

I guess there never could be an only begotten daughter as God didn't have a mom.  So no X chromosome to pass on. :(  But wait, if God didn't have a mother, he couldn't have had a father either so where'd that y chromosome come from?

I'm a magical thinking failure.

37 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

From God the father.  The X came from Mary, of course.

I guess there never could be an only begotten daughter as God didn't have a mom.  So no X chromosome to pass on. :(  But wait, if God didn't have a mother, he couldn't have had a father either so where'd that y chromosome come from?

I'm a magical thinking failure.

You're forgetting that Mary is the Mother of God.

Only of God the Son, not God the Father. Yes Christianity can get weird. :P

47 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Only of God the Son, not God the Father. Yes Christianity can get weird. :P

But God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are Three in One... if it's not holy, it's incestual.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

The deal was that he did not. Somehow. 

5 hours ago, Johanna25 said:

You don't need to get all twisted up about the definitions or translations of "virgin." It's a Christian myth, established long after the events. Virgin mothers were a well-established theme in ancient mythologies, see Isis mother of Horus for example. The facts didn't matter, later storytellers were riffing on an old theme.

Unless you have proof of the bolded above, wouldn't it be more correct to say "I believe it is a myth" or "I can't image why people would believe this"?

There are those on this board who would agree with you.  There are others,  like me,  who believe that God really did cause a girl who had never had sex to conceive a child,  His son.  It's not that I've never ever heard anyone claim this is a myth but we're having such a nice, intelligent conversation about all of this.   No hard feelings--just an observation. 

8 hours ago, Whoosh said:

So, I just tried to search for info on this from the Episcopal church and things I am finding basically say "there is disagreement" without taking a stand.

To the best of my recollection that is correct, that the church's position is that it's not a crucial point of doctrine and individuals are free to interpret it as they see fit. I think that is more common in the Episcopal Church than in many other denominations; on points that are considered minor, there may not be an official position and members are just supposed to go by the usual "three-legged stool" scripture/tradition/reason standard in deciding for themselves. 

Saving Catholics and Muslims and Pizza dip, what more could you want out of an Evangelical TV show??

Rachel Goad posted posts of Izzy and her in Central America. She was visiting Jill and Derick. I would think Izzy would be hot wearing overalls since Rachel said that it was summer weather.

Rachel has a nickname for Izzy: Israelito

7 hours ago, Whoosh said:

LOL - ok.  So you are right and massive numbers of Christians, a butt-load of Christian scholars and elders, and MYSELF are wrong.  Got it.  Tell me if I say it right for you "Jesus (who may not have existed) had siblings (though many believe they were cousins and it could all just be a story), so Silverbeach is right".  I realize that is snarky, but your responses to me and how you speak of the beliefs of others are also snarky, as it REALLY is just a matter of what you believe.  As a non-theist, I am not all that tied to being right on who Jesus' siblings were if you can imagine that.  

I personally don't believe in God, but I think the lessons I learned about how to be like Jesus Christ are quite valuable.  Love thy neighbors (all of them) - stuff like that.

I don't personally care what anyone believes about this - whatever makes people happy.

But I will definitively say that if in 2000 or so years a bunch of people are debating on a message board about how much sex I did or didn't have while I was alive I won't be pleased.

so I'll save them the time - Hi future posters!  I had sex both before and after having kids.  If you want the details you're going to have to find my log book.  Men are listed alphabetically by last name and then by rating.

I was looking for additional photos when I came across an Instagram post from a girl who attended the December trip with SOS and was disgusted. Evangelizing in a Catholic Church. Please have respect for other religion's places of worship. 

lnavarro93| I had the privilege to serve with SOS ministries, December 2015. And this time, we got to evangelize inside the Catholic Church. This man with no job for 12 months, 2 kids, 1 wife, thought about taking his life away. Concerned of his 9 year old son who's sick, he was desperately looking for hope, crying out for an answer inside the church without hearing any answer. We got to talk to Him, and the Holy Spirit were with us. He felt peace and received God's hope. | it's incredible to see God's working. it's not about religion or good works but through JesusChrist, the son of God whom we cry out, and He answer. JesusChrist is the ONLY way and truth, and no ONE comes to the father, except through Jesus. | #SOSministries #gospel

Another Instagram post, where they are trying to convert Jehovah Witnesses. It appears to be a different ministry; http://www.impactocostarica.org/

lnavarro93| Brandon and I had the opportunity to share our beliefs in Costa Rica with a Jehova witnesses family. It was interesting to know their beliefs. Our faces were showing how concerned we were by listening what they believe. | many religions, many "good people", many interpretations of the bible. But only ONE truth, one God and we find it in His word, the bible. It is important as a believer to seek God's word and let the Holy Spirit guide you and help you to understand what is Truth. | #gospel #ImpactoCostaRica

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I had sex both before and after having kids.  If you want the details you're going to have to find my log book.  Men are listed alphabetically by last name and then by rating.

Is there a link to that? Or should we just quote a Buffy Insider...

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't personally care what anyone believes about this - whatever makes people happy.

But I will definitively say that if in 2000 or so years a bunch of people are debating on a message board about how much sex I did or didn't have while I was alive I won't be pleased.

so I'll save them the time - Hi future posters!  I had sex both before and after having kids.  If you want the details you're going to have to find my log book.  Men are listed alphabetically by last name and then by rating.

It'll be even weirder if in 2000 years they are debating over whether your namesake did this or that, or Buffy the Vampire slayer.  LOL.  Either way, strange debate indeed.

1 minute ago, Catey said:

Is there a link to that? Or should we just quote a Buffy Insider...

Much like the Dead Sea scrolls it will need to first be found snd then deciphered by anthropologists who have studied extensively both my writings and oral tradition.

there is a dirty joke just begging to be made about being an insider...but I'm too refined to go there. ;) 

8 hours ago, Catey said:

Yet again another example of my theory of ugly people = ugly God

Amen! 

I dont subscrive to any fixed belief system, but I've always enjoyed the viewpoint put forward in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. In it there was an absentee creator God who crafted the disc and accidentally caused human life by leaving the half eaten remains of an egg salad sandwich in a primordial tidal pool. Since the creator God took a walk, there arose a pantheon of small through medium powered gods whose personality and character were shaped by their believers and whose power depended on number of believers and their fervour. 

I remember reading about the virus and cases of microcephaly last week and I vaguely remember how the occurrence of microcephaly shot up astronomically. So yes, I think it's very possible those two mothers-to-be had no idea about it and were already home when the news broke.

10 hours ago, Whoosh said:

Thanks Bad Wolf.  This really is my understanding of the Episcopal faith also.  I know I have thoughts on these things in my head, but I don't know exactly how they got there and I certainly don't judge or condemn others for their beliefs (unless those beliefs are actively harmful to others, but that gets complex).

As a recent Episcopalian "convert" I can say that much of the appeal to me has been the lack of excessive dogmatism.  What I was told was that we agree about big things (as outlined in the Nicene Creed) and the rest are for personal conscience.  

It is probable that the historical Jesus had at least some siblings born of Joseph and Mary.  I believe that James the Just was recognized in Jesus's time as his brother.  Most scholars recognize James as an important figure (along with Peter and eventually Paul) in the very early Church.  It is interesting, though, that he is not identified in the Gospels as a follower of Jesus.  But that is another subject.

I am fine with Mary and Joseph having sex.  I don't even have a strong belief that Jesus was conceived miraculously without Joseph's participation. (Why wouldn't God just use the genetic material at hand for His incarnation?  It would still be a miracle.)

I do, however, insist that the Virgin Mary is and always shall be known by me as Virgin Mary. (As a child I thought "Virgin" was just a title, like "Saint" only higher.  I still see it as a "title" in the sense that "Virgin" here emphasizes an attribute which identifies the miraculous role she plays in the Christian myth.). 

N.B.  "Myth" here is used to refer to narrative of religious origin, not to mean "false."

16 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

Matthew 1:18 - 25 describes Joseph finding out that Mary was pregnant, and because he was an honorable man, resolving to divorce her quietly. In other words, - according to Christians and Catholics - he was not the father. In ancient times, betrothal was as binding as marriage. Hence the word "divorce."

Jesus had at least four brothers named in the Bible: James, Joses, Simon, and Jude. Christians have always assumed these were natural born children of Mary and Joseph. Scripture talks about them not believing in Jesus when he was doing his ministry. Mark 3:21 talks of Jesus' family trying to "take him away", saying "he is out of his mind." After his resurrection though, they believed and James became a big leader in the church.

Jesus' father Joseph is not mentioned in the gospels after the incident when his parents found him teaching in the temple when Jesus was 12. It has been assumed by Christians that he died. Jesus did apparently learn his carpentry skills from him.

I hadn't known that some Catholics believe Mary never let Joseph touch her after marriage.

CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN.  The correct way to refer to differences in beliefs and practice is "Catholics and Protestant."  (While I am at it, the Greek and Russian Orthodox are also Christian.  Any group or individual that believes in the divinity of Jesus and tries to follow His teachings is Christian.)

Catholics do not believe that Mary refused to have sex with Joseph.  The teaching is that Joseph abstained out of respect for the miracle that had happened through her body.

For what it is worth, though the Catholic Church sees baptism as essential for a person to be counted as a Christian,  I have never heard any Catholic speak of un-baptized children or even young adults in Baptist and other adult-baptism denominations  as not really Christian.  Too bad so many of the adult baptism denominations can't return the respect and courtesy.

:soapbox:

I don't know about Mary, but I recently realized that my father was born six months after my grandparents got married. Either he was an amazingly robust preemie or my devoutly Catholic grandma wasn't a virgin bride!

4 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Rachel Goad posted posts of Izzy and her in Central America. She was visiting Jill and Derick. I would think Izzy would be hot wearing overalls since Rachel said that it was summer weather.

Rachel has a nickname for Izzy: Israelito

She mentions that he's talkative. I really wonder what Israel's language development is going to be like, since his mom's language developed in a relatively isolated situation, and he's growing up in a foreign country where he'll certainly hear a lot of Spanish, but he's not really integrated into the Spanish-speaking community because his parents are too scared to leave their White People Bubble.

This struck me from the SOS posting:

This man with no job for 12 months, 2 kids, 1 wife, thought about taking his life away.

I can't help but wonder how the Dillards parse situations like that, given they are voluntarily jobless and don't seem to give much thought to the long-term necessity of supporting their child (and possible future children.) Do they understand that desperation at all? Or because any financial issues of their own are solved by begging for donations and/or living on her wealthy daddy's money, do they see unemployment as a minor issue to be prayed away?

I can't even begin to imagine what advice they would give a person in that situation while on their "mission," or how they could give any advice at all without feeling totally insincere. I doubt they engage in enough self-reflection to question their own sincerity, though.

• Boogalou locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived