IGNORED

The Birth Control Movie?

twin2

15 hours ago, August said:

Depends how many sperm are involved.

Every sperm is sacred :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

I wish there was a simple "no conception" option that was given routinely to every child at, say, 12yo. It would have to have no negative health or fertility implications.

Surely, if such a thing has been imagined (in science fiction novels, repeatedly), it can become reality?

4 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I'm also one who hopes more options for men become available besides condoms and vasectomies. It would be better for couples who don't want more children, but they know they don't want to do anything permanent like a tubal or vasectomy. Even things like an IUD or other long term contraception puts the burden on the woman.

People don't always realise the risks that come from some contraception too - I suffered a major blood clot last year and they have attributed it to the pill.  I'd obviously heard it was a risk but hadn't really grasped the seriousness (I was on crutches for 6 months and couldn't work for 3).  Unfortunately mine was a very bad case but it's scary what can happen.  I now have an IUD but truly wish there were other options for men.  Films like this are crazy - we deliberately chose not to have children as I have a history of depression and I felt it would be too much for me.  If it was up to them I'd just have to either risk the mental health of myself and possible children or be celibate.

I take the birth control pill for medical reasons that have nothing to do with pregnancy prevention. I assume the movie will not address that type of situation.

What is wrong with someone saying "I want sex, not children right now."  What  is the big deal and why does it scare these fundies?

26 minutes ago, cindyluvs24 said:

What is wrong with someone saying "I want sex, not children right now."  What  is the big deal and why does it scare these fundies?

Because they think the only proper, god-ordained place for sex is within the context of heterosexual marriage and reproduction. It's actually not a uniquely Christian notion, as it originated with the Stoics, and the earliest Christian apologists swiped it (the view that the ancient Romans were uniquely debauched vis a vis "sexually pure" Christians is completely without merit). The basic natural law argument that the Stoics devised and Christians stole is that the various parts of the body are made to do certain things, and using them for purposes not intended by god is "unnatural" and therefore wrong. Since the genitals were meant for reproduction, using them for non-procreative purposes is unnatural. You'll see these kinds of natural law arguments a lot on Catholic blogs and message boards, and they think they're very clever, but natural law arguments don't work in 2015 they way they did in pre-modern times. For example, it may be unusual for a person to walk on their hands, but it's hardly "unnatural" or morally wrong. For a person born without legs, walking on their hands may be perfectly "natural" and appropriate. As many FJers probably know, the prostate is often referred to as the male g-spot, so one could then reach the conclusion that god intended for anal sex/anal stimulation to be "natural." Natural law arguments are like looking at clouds or ink blot tests, in that they more often reflect the psyche of the viewer than any objective reality.

Since this documentary is done by patriarchal Protestants, I doubt that they would deploy natural law arguments, although these days natural law is becoming more popular with Protestants because it provides a superficial secular argument against same-sex marriage. Conservative Catholics and Protestants alike both seem to think that original sin has caused everyone to be running around with their pants on fire, and punitive rules and regulations about sexuality are the only thing preventing society from degenerating into a 24/7 orgy.

On 1/3/2016 at 4:34 PM, Mercer said:

...How many adult Duggars have jobs?

Embracing adult responsibilities indeed!

All of them.  If grifting is a job.

Jana excepted.  That woman really does work.  Too bad she gets nothing for her labors.

• 6 months later...

Archived