IGNORED

The Birth Control Movie?

twin2

Have we ever snarked on this? 

https://www.facebook.com/TheBirthControlMovie/

http://www.thebirthcontrolmovie.com/

It has some of our favorite fundies, Sproul and The Noted Duck Biologist.

A brief summary:

Now with FrenchItalian, and English subtitles, this fast-paced, award-winning documentary takes a historic look at the modern protestant church’s public embrace and overwhelming acceptance of child prevention as the battle for privacy in marriage waged and the practice of limiting family size took hold. Raising godly children is no longer marriage’s primary purpose as the global acceptance of birth control inevitably led to a tragic breakdown in the values of family and multigenerational family life.   Children are no longer considered a blessing but rather a burden.

This compared to the fundie approach to children, that they are basically merit badges to ones godliness...

I've often thought that, in patriarchy, it is also a symbol of a man's virility.  Hey, I've deposited manly vigorous sperm in my submissive helpmeet!  

17 minutes ago, Howl said:

I've often thought that, in patriarchy, it is also a symbol of a man's virility.  Hey, I've deposited manly vigorous sperm in my submissive helpmeet!  

I guess it is better than the fundie stance on adopted children, which are basically merit badges of one's pro-life stance (ahem, Kendal, ahem).

I will never get fundy logic: Children are now seen as a burden because you can choose to have them while at the time when many women had no choice and were practically either pregnant or nursing for twenty years in a row they felt so blessed by something they had no control over? Yeah right.

Honestly, children *are* burdens. But it should be MY choice whether or not I take on that burden. I love my children more than anything, but I just can't fathom why they act like having children is this super easy, awesome thing. It's awesome, but it's far from easy, especially when they are so little.

What awards did this nonsense win? Tool's little special snowflake market went belly up after his errant member was revealed. Who else would give this drivel an award???

Oh dear lord!!!

The inaccurate and biased facts are painful and inflammatory.

Birth control and abortion have been used by humans for as long as humans have been getting pregnant. An interesting concept to note ESPECIALLY in propaganda like this is that abortion was a term that only applied o pregnancy termination after quickening until the 1840s when the AMA utilized a new definition of abortion to encompass what had previously been considered female cycle regulation in the efforts to paint midwives as awful and corner the market on women's healthcare for themselves.

Additionally, while Sanger was in fact, regrettably into eugenics, she was strictly opposed to abortion and refused to allow her organization to have ANY involvement with abortion. Planned Parenthood became involved with abortion services under Alan Guttmacher, and Sanger was never fully okay with that shift.

Even so, birth control AND abortion are not good positions for a bunch of stodgy white men to tell all the women of the world what is okay!

Ah, another attack on those uppity wimminnfolk who have the audacity to want control over their own bodies and lives. Let's take them back to the good ol' barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen days of exhaustion and maternal depletion syndrome, where they won't present any threat to the Godly, manly menz.

Geoff Botkin (AKA Noted Duck Biologist), quoted in the film's trailer:

"And what it (birth control) means, to many Americans, is a deliverance from responsibility. A deliverance from the responsibilities of children, yet having all the pleasures of adulthood."

Translation: Want to have sex? Prepare to pay. No fun for YOU!

"She (Margaret Sanger) understood you cannot destroy Christianity without destroying the family. You must destroy the father, you must destroy motherhood, and you must destroy babies."

Translation: If my wife doesn't have lots of children, the world will think I can't get it up.

And we wonder why the Botkinettes are still single? Run away, Anna Sofia and Elizabeth, run away!!!

Just curious: how was Spanky Sproul (another prominent, holier-than-thou Dominionist male bloviator featured in this documentary) planning to deal with unintended pregnancies that could have resulted from his dalliances on the Ashley Madison website? 

6 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Just curious: how was Spanky Sproul (another prominent, holier-than-thou Dominionist male bloviator featured in this documentary) planning to deal with unintended pregnancies that could have resulted from his dalliances on the Ashley Madison website? 

Well, no pregnancy can result from 'research' can it?

Had his "research" resulted in an unintended pregnancy, it would no doubt have totally been the woman's fault.

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I will never get fundy logic: Children are now seen as a burden because you can choose to have them while at the time when many women had no choice and were practically either pregnant or nursing for twenty years in a row they felt so blessed by something they had no control over? Yeah right.

Yeah, my kids are a joy, but if I had twice as many they'd be a burden.

Fundies just don't want to admit that women had lots of kids before they had any choice in the matter, then as soon as they gain autonomy to choose the number and spacing of their kids the birth rate drops, for illiterate tribal women as much as for educated city dwellers.

They're just annoyed people choose different things than they do.

1 hour ago, twin2 said:

Well, no pregnancy can result from 'research' can it?

Depends how many sperm are involved.

Funny, Duck Biologist, I'd say that anti-birth-control folks do their share of denying responsibility; pregnancy and childbirth become completely spontaneous "blessings" that are "left in God's hands" instead of something you consciously take part in.

5 hours ago, chaotic life said:

Oh dear lord!!!

The inaccurate and biased facts are painful and inflammatory.

Birth control and abortion have been used by humans for as long as humans have been getting pregnant. An interesting concept to note ESPECIALLY in propaganda like this is that abortion was a term that only applied o pregnancy termination after quickening until the 1840s when the AMA utilized a new definition of abortion to encompass what had previously been considered female cycle regulation in the efforts to paint midwives as awful and corner the market on women's healthcare for themselves.

Additionally, while Sanger was in fact, regrettably into eugenics, she was strictly opposed to abortion and refused to allow her organization to have ANY involvement with abortion. Planned Parenthood became involved with abortion services under Alan Guttmacher, and Sanger was never fully okay with that shift.

Even so, birth control AND abortion are not good positions for a bunch of stodgy white men to tell all the women of the world what is okay!

One hundred years ago, a lot of Americans were into eugenics, black, white, Christian, Jewish, and otherwise, albeit all for varying reasons. This ranged from campaigns for things generally considered to be good these days (I.e., birth control, spacing children, investing more resources on a few children) to things that clearly violated constitutional rights, such as involuntary sterilization. Today no one will admit to ever being in favor of eugenics because the Nazi regime gave it a bad name, but singling Margaret Sanger out for condemnation in this regard is extremely hypocritical, especially since there is no evidence she engaged in any practices that exploited or abused anyone, and all the women who came to her clinics did so voluntarily. 

I think using birth control to limit my family size makes me more responsible than the fundies.  I stopped at two because that's the number my husband and I knew we could adequately raise well.  From affording good educational opportunities that will allow them to be successful in life to ensuring we can feed, clothe, and shelter them in the event of job loss.  Knowing your limitations is the height of responsibility.

7 hours ago, chaotic life said:

What awards did this nonsense win? Tool's little special snowflake market went belly up after his errant member was revealed. Who else would give this drivel an award???

It's easy to win an award when the filmmaker decides to take a vote among those involved about which is the best birth control movie, and the winner gets a candy bar.  BOOM. That movie just won an award.

"And what it (birth control) means, to many Americans, is a deliverance from responsibility. A deliverance from the responsibilities of children, yet having all the pleasures of adulthood."

...How many adult Duggars have jobs?

Embracing adult responsibilities indeed!

Not surprisingly, they don't have a single woman (you know, the people responsible for 90% of all birth control methods, and the people who bear the physical and emotional brunt of being pregnant, the pain of childbirth, and then raise those little blessings) talking about how terrible birth control is in the trailer.  It strikes me as exceedingly, exceedingly tone deaf.  A woman giving her opinion would have much more credibility than a bunch of dudes bloviating about how evil birth control is.  

What's with the vaguely ethnic waifs sadly clutching a chain link fence? 

Do they think that unbelievers send unwanted children to refugee camps?

6 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Not surprisingly, they don't have a single woman (you know, the people responsible for 90% of all birth control methods, and the people who bear the physical and emotional brunt of being pregnant, the pain of childbirth, and then raise those little blessings) talking about how terrible birth control is in the trailer.  It strikes me as exceedingly, exceedingly tone deaf.  A woman giving her opinion would have much more credibility than a bunch of dudes bloviating about how evil birth control is.  

Yeah, it isn't like there isn't a lot of women who in different ways have hated using birth control... I so wish they would develop just one more male contraception to give couples more options. My husband uses condoms as our contraception and that works very well for us but not for everyone and if they do not work for a couple there are no other easily reversible options left for a man. There are some promising products like Vasalgel.

53 minutes ago, elliha said:

Yeah, it isn't like there isn't a lot of women who in different ways have hated using birth control... I so wish they would develop just one more male contraception to give couples more options. My husband uses condoms as our contraception and that works very well for us but not for everyone and if they do not work for a couple there are no other easily reversible options left for a man. There are some promising products like Vasalgel.

I'm also one who hopes more options for men become available besides condoms and vasectomies. It would be better for couples who don't want more children, but they know they don't want to do anything permanent like a tubal or vasectomy. Even things like an IUD or other long term contraception puts the burden on the woman.

Archived