IGNORED

It is not just the girls who suffer in Gothardism/ATIA/IBLP

MerryHappy

Wow. I had not read that story yet and I got to say that is truly horrible beyond words. ATI just gives perverts like that dad an excuse for their behavior. I so hope Anderson Cooper does an investigation into ATI next. I think the Duggars being members of this horrible cult is giving it some credit among more mainstream Christians who don't realize what is really going on.

I totally agree with FormerGothardite. I live in a very conservative area in the Bible Belt. They are buying the glossy exterior and do not understand what all the shiny happy faces really represent. They think the Duggars are ideal examples of a perfect Christian family.

I would love for AC to do a story on IBLP.

Since he extended the issue on abuse from the Pearls to Hepzibah House, my bet is that he has already connected the dots. He just needs to work the timing and progression of stories until the public is primed for the big unveiling of the Dominionist threar in America.

I think that people really get sucked into the false charm of the Duggars. Especially during the whole "courship" of J and A. Some just thought it was the most romantic thing they ever saw.

Wow. I'm about to do something that I don't do very often ( ;) ) and that's praise a man. The fact that after all the mind-fucking he got from his father, he managed to come to the conclusion that lust needs to be paired with personal responsibility. This quote was my favorite, and if you take out the religious part of it needs to be drilled into the brains of all men -

Over several years I realized that the opposite of lust was not not-lusting, but love. That Christ would have been fully aware of every aspect (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) of the women around Him, aware of the attractiveness He made them with, and yet He never lusted.

What he's saying is that if you don't emotionally connect with women, lust can get out of control. But once you see them as full and worthy human beings with many facets, things can be good.

Oh, and that father is seriously one sick fuck.

You know, if they believe so much in the power of confession and accountability, they should just be Catholic. At least if you confess to a priest you don't have to go home and have dinner with them, or have them in charge of your medical care.

Forcing "accountability partners" on people who have not sought them out is spiritual abuse. Asking for prurient details is abusive and disgusting.

In Catholic confession the priest has an obligation to the person confessing, to grant *absolution*, not to be "shocked and horrified" at how awful the sin is and leave the person feeling guiltier than before.

I'm not even going to get into the circumcision thing but that was so wrong on so many levels I'm surprised the doctor would do it.

That post made me sick and sad, too. I mean, I know boys/men suffer in that environment, but to see it laid out it black and white like that....it's heartbreaking.

I did smile when I saw that he's a massage therapist now :) Definately not a Gothard-approved career for men, I'm sure!

You know, if they believe so much in the power of confession and accountability, they should just be Catholic. At least if you confess to a priest you don't have to go home and have dinner with them, or have them in charge of your medical care.

Well, I might, if I were still Catholic. Silly brother....

But like what's been said, he's there not to be shocked but to give a way to to clear your guilt, not make you ashamed.

I read this yesterday. As a guy I can say all the masturbation confessions and circumcision as a sex-fearing teen is a recipe for a LIFETIME of sexual dysfunction. What an asshole father.

This is what gives me hope that at least some of the Duggar and Bates kids, and any other ATI kids, will be able to step outside the cult of Gothardism at some point in their lives...

One of the commentors made a great point - it was the father's lust for power and control that created this horror. Lust is not just sexual...

I know two men who had to be circumcised for medical reasons as adults, and it was so horrible they damn well straight had their sons circumcised as infants.

The hospital tour thing and the announcement to one and all--beyond sick. I can only imagine having had to walk around the hospital, at age 20, announcing my hymenectomy.

Usually, I don't think circumcision causes lasting damage. However, to do it to a 15 year old boy who is already struggling with sexuality....that sends a really bad, destructive message.

Usually, I don't think circumcision causes lasting damage. However, to do it to a 15 year old boy who is already struggling with sexuality....that sends a really bad, destructive message.

The Bible--the book these fundies revere above all else--is pretty clear that circumcision is NOT required for Christians.

Gal. 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Pesky Bible, getting in the way of a Patriarch's power!!!!

I think (though I could be wrong) that Gothard teaches that while circumcision isn't necessary for salvation or to be a Christian, it's still a really good idea becuase of hygiene and because it shows greater committment to God (or something like that). In the blog post, the writer talks about how he tried to get his Dad to change his mind by saying that at 15 he was old enough to handle his own hygiene issues.

Yet another case of Gothard trying to out do the Bible :roll:

And I think the sick fuck of a father was imposing it on his sons for religious reasons. It may not cause lasting physical pain, but it's a hell of a thing to force a boy to endure unnecessarily.

That was horrifying. :(

Our sons are circumcised, but dh specifically went against his culture's norms and wanted it done in infancy. Because it's a whole different ball of wax when done at 12 or 15.

As to the rest of it, I just cannot imagine what was going on in that father's head. Such a twisted and perverted relationship with his son, and what a bizarre application of the Christian sexual ethic.

That was horrifying. :(

Our sons are circumcised, but dh specifically went against his culture's norms and wanted it done in infancy. Because it's a whole different ball of wax when done at 12 or 15.

As to the rest of it, I just cannot imagine what was going on in that father's head. Such a twisted and perverted relationship with his son, and what a bizarre application of the Christian sexual ethic.

Yeah, erections can often cause the skin to tear or the stitches to rip. That's why it's normally only done post-puberty for medical reasons. What this father did was nothing short of assult.

Yeah, erections can often cause the skin to tear or the stitches to rip. That's why it's normally only done post-puberty for medical reasons. What this father did was nothing short of assult.

Baby boys have erections too. Often while changing diapers, both of mine would have them.

IMO, if it's that horrific done on an adult that can demand pain killers and communicate his needs, then it is beyond horrific to do it to an infant, especially since they aren't given pain meds afterwards, and are frequently peeing on/pooping on the wound.

Ami

I read this yesterday. As a guy I can say all the masturbation confessions and circumcision as a sex-fearing teen is a recipe for a LIFETIME of sexual dysfunction. What an asshole father.

As a woman, I am going to agree with you completely.

Archived