IGNORED

Sleeveless Shirts Will Cause You To Become A Sex Slave

debrand

I think the difference, at least in my mind, is the level of violence. Luring would imply that the victim willingly went along under false pretenses, while snatching intimates that there was force used and the victim was unwilling or fighting back.

Most people would know better than to get in the car with someone they don't know, so they don't feel that they can be lured into something like this. Snatching or being abducted is a whole lot more frightening, as it could really happen to anyone.

....and I think that is why people are often in denial. "I am too smart to be lured!!" Thing is, people ARE snatched off the street and no traces of them are ever found. What do you think is happening to at least some of those people? These slaves get shipped OUT of the US, too. "White flesh" is highly desired in some places.

We know that HT goes on, but we do not want to admit it can happen to US.....it happens to other people.

I invite everyone to look up local awareness talks on HT and attend. You will be shocked at what you learn.

How many of us would spot the danger? One story I heard was from a 17-year-old who was invited to a 'party.' When she got there, it was only some guy who beat the shit out of her, drugged her and sent her into the sex trade.

How many of us would go to a party that a 'friend' from school invited us to? Oh yes, they have teens/women involved in luring others in....probaly in exchange for not being sold into the trade themselves.

There are many stories like that. In the movie I linked earlier, it was a false 'modeling' agency or mail order brides who recieved 'proposals' or a woman who thought she was going out on a weekend get away with her 'boyfriend.'

I know many of them are clever enough to fool a worldy woman, but I still think a girl who's hardly been out alone would be in more danger than most.

We have a lot of predatory men where I live, and you'd be surprised how many girls don't know that the #1 rule is to make as much noise as possible. So many of my friends are too embarrassed, and would walk past a threatening person with their head bowed, which actually makes you look weaker and more of an easy target. I have to walk through a park notorious for rapes every day, which many people think is terrifying, but it isn't. You just have to have your wits about you, as always. I'm not suggesting that I am immune, but being aware can't do any harm.

Girls who've never been stuck having to get home through the dodgy part of town, or been cornered by a desperate junkie... they're not being done any favours.

Okay, so human trafficking happens. What is being aware of the horror stories supposed to provide us with? Awareness is nothing without an action that can be taken. And getting afraid to take a pee sure isn't helpful. I mean, "if you fit the order then you are a target."

I dunno - I wonder who benefits from fear mongering. I know the patriarchs do. And whoever else wants to keep people from knowing each other (because face it - everyone you meet was once a stranger.)

I also don't see how this would discount the 24-48 hour rule (which is that the person is probably dead if gone that long and taken by a stranger, right?) There are always going to be outliers.

....and I think that is why people are often in denial. "I am too smart to be lured!!" Thing is, people ARE snatched off the street and no traces of them are ever found. What do you think is happening to at least some of those people? These slaves get shipped OUT of the US, too. "White flesh" is highly desired in some places.

We know that HT goes on, but we do not want to admit it can happen to US.....it happens to other people.

I invite everyone to look up local awareness talks on HT and attend. You will be shocked at what you learn.

I agree with you, in a lot of ways. People are often clueless about the potential for abduction. I'm acutely aware of the fact that my occupation poses and EXTREMELY high risk for this kind of thing. I'm a cleaning lady. I go to people's homes, without having much information on them, and go inside. I don't know them. I don't know that their intentions are good. For all I know, I'm walking into a trap and I have no idea.

I'm more worried about a bad guy posing as a legitimate customer than I am about someone grabbing me at the gas station. I do what I can to keep myself covered (good records of my schedule and client info at home, a friend that calls to "see how I'm doing" almost every day, etc.) But, if the unthinkable does happen, I'll die trying to escape.

To be honest these fundy girls are much more in danger than your average woman, and it's got nothing to do with their clothes. Many of them are incredibly sheltered and naive and wouldn't necessarily spot the danger signs until it was too late.

Yeah, I'm guessing that not too many of these fundie women of any age have read The Gift of Fear . I think it should be required reading for everyone.

That is such a great book. Shame Gavin de Becker went off the rails and got into the AIDS denial game.

I had no idea he did that. That's the only thing of his I've ever read.

Wow. That's a strange turn for such a rational-seeming person. . . off to google.

He's on the board of the Alive and Well Foundation, which was started by Christine Maggiore to publicize the idea that HIV did not cause AIDS. Maggiore and her daughter are now dead, of what sure looks to be AIDS-related illnesses. Very sad story, but hasn't slowed down the Foundation.

I thought de Becker an odd choice for the board. Whatever we may think of their ideas, most of the other members are medical professionals.

Okay, I've hopped around a bit in the tubez and I see that he is on this board and that he said this about Maggiore's book:

"Misinformation about AIDS is more contagious than the disease itself. By giving us an accurate understanding, Christine Maggiore is fighting an epidemic of fear."

What I haven't come across in my admittedly sparse-so-far research is what all these people (many of whom seem to have impressive CVs) think actually causes AIDS?

Okay, so human trafficking happens. What is being aware of the horror stories supposed to provide us with? Awareness is nothing without an action that can be taken. And getting afraid to take a pee sure isn't helpful. I mean, "if you fit the order then you are a target."

I dunno - I wonder who benefits from fear mongering. I know the patriarchs do. And whoever else wants to keep people from knowing each other (because face it - everyone you meet was once a stranger.)

I also don't see how this would discount the 24-48 hour rule (which is that the person is probably dead if gone that long and taken by a stranger, right?) There are always going to be outliers.

I am not saying that we need to cower in fear...just be aware that this does go on. If you know of a danger, you are more alert to early, subtle signs of things going south. You can easier spot a fishy situation before you get involved, and so on.

There are all kinds of bad that goes on, but we are aware of it and therefore, more alert. I am aware of ID theft, for instance, and knew better than to send in all my personal info for 'pre screening' for a job listing I responded to.

Being snatched/ lured/ traped is a scary thought- but the response isn't to stick your head in the sand and pretend it does not happen, nor is it to cower in fear. Just like everything else in life we have to live on but be viligant.

Yeah, I'm guessing that not too many of these fundie women of any age have read The Gift of Fear . I think it should be required reading for everyone.

No doubt fundies (or just the overly sheltered) would be in a greater danger of this type of thing. They are far too trusting and have had their inner voice which screams 'something is wrong!!' beaten out of them.

Okay, I've hopped around a bit in the tubez and I see that he is on this board and that he said this about Maggiore's book:

"Misinformation about AIDS is more contagious than the disease itself. By giving us an accurate understanding, Christine Maggiore is fighting an epidemic of fear."

What I haven't come across in my admittedly sparse-so-far research is what all these people (many of whom seem to have impressive CVs) think actually causes AIDS?

Drugs and gay sex. There is a slight whiff of homophobia around the whole thing.

Also, processed food. Like, eating wholesome and organic will keep away the AIDS.

I found this on youtube. It is a movie in 19 parts.... Maybe these girls need to watch and get a little bit educated? Scary thing is that I see escapee fundies as being VERY vulnerable to the tricks of the 'trade.'

http://youtu.be/A4bLeY2xwtg

VERY INTENSE!! This movie glosses over nothing. Not for the sensitive. It will sicken and enrage you.

Thank you (I think?) for posting that.

notsocommon, your two links are great resources for raising awareness of sex trafficking, but they do not back up the point that both you and NGJ are trying to make. Not one of the survivor stories on the Polaris Project deals with an abduction scenario. Arguably, Brittany's 3-day ordeal comes the closest; however, it is still firmly in the category of luring/conning.

I have not and probably won't watch the Lifetime miniseries, but a quick look at Wikipedia shows that it deals with international trafficking, not domestic abduction scenarios.

I do believe that I personally am at extremely low risk to be trafficked. Fat fortyish prostitutes are basically a niche fetish. I am much more likely to be raped.

Anyway, I do stand by my point, which is that an American girl at a gas station has, statistically, a far greater chance of being abducted by a rapist or a serial killer than by a trafficker. And this makes me curious as to why No Greater Joy Ministries wants to emphasize the trafficking and not the other very bad thing.

Paranoia and fear-mongering. You see it in the mainstream media all the time- how often do you hear medical reports about fairly uncommon diseases, or news articles about the "dangers" of typical things, like playing outside, or baby cribs, or whatever vegetable is supposed to be bad for you now? How about the hype about terrorism? Yes, it's a terrible thing, and over 3,000 people died on 9/11. Does that mean each and every American will be killed in a terrorist act? No. In fact, the chances of being murdered by someone you know for some stupid reason are far, far greater.

NGJ just picked human trafficking as their pet cause. They don't do shit to actually stop HT, they just do it to scare the shit out of their followers, make money, and make themselves feel good.

Is End Slavery Tennessee involved with NGJ?

I do want to say that I agree with notsocommon and the others above, in that fundie girls who run away or wish to are probably at great risk from traffickers (among other evil-doers). A desperate person without a support system=vulnerable. Vulnerable enough to believe the slick introduction speech, and vulnerable because they will have no support system.

I think you are missing the point, entirely. I am in no way in agreement with those twits from NGJ your clothing will not make you 'stand out' nor will it 'protect' you....I am simply stating that HT involving US citizens is a fact. I have never made a huge deal over people getting snatched- that is something you latched on to- it is merely one way people COULD end up in that situation.

Think about the fact that so many disappear without a trace, a logical conclusion is that some of these people very well could be in the trade. I know for a fact it is a possibility that police are starting to consider when a person who fits a certain profile goes missing.

The movie was not linked to prove any point- it was merely a 'hey I found this intense movie that shows the realities of HT.'

It does not matter if people are snatched or lured. Fact is that HT is a concern for us here in the States as much as it is for women/children in other countries. Maybe not on as great of a scale, but it is there. It is something we should add to our mental files of 'things to be aware of.' You don't need to be paranoid, but aware. There is a difference.

Well, you are right--I did latch on to the abduction thing. That's what the video was about, so that's what my half of the conversation here was about.

I think you and I agree more than you think we do. If by certain profile, you mean runaway or drifter without solid family/community ties, I agree with your second paragraph completely.

Re: comments about fundy girls being more at risk.

Some fundy girls carry concealed firearms for this reason... they're super-paranoid about getting nabbed. However, I'm not sure how widespread this is. One thing they could never do is take self-defense classes... at least not the kind where you did any actual grappling (which is the only kind worth anything). I've taken several classes and grappled with a variety of guys, which is a really good way to get used to getting pinned/grabbed from behind and getting out of it. Honestly, I'm a lot smaller than your average guy, and if I got in a bad situation I'd likely be toast, but I've been all over the place and I've never been hurt. I attribute it to walking like a feminist, paying attention at all times, and knowing enough to look local. And luck, probably. Let's be honest, you can't control everything.

Re: comments about fundy girls being more at risk.

Some fundy girls carry concealed firearms for this reason... they're super-paranoid about getting nabbed. However, I'm not sure how widespread this is. One thing they could never do is take self-defense classes... at least not the kind where you did any actual grappling (which is the only kind worth anything). I've taken several classes and grappled with a variety of guys, which is a really good way to get used to getting pinned/grabbed from behind and getting out of it. Honestly, I'm a lot smaller than your average guy, and if I got in a bad situation I'd likely be toast, but I've been all over the place and I've never been hurt. I attribute it to walking like a feminist, paying attention at all times, and knowing enough to look local. And luck, probably. Let's be honest, you can't control everything.

This.

Archived