IGNORED

Sleeveless Shirts Will Cause You To Become A Sex Slave

debrand

The woman tells a story about going into a gas station in the summer and putting on her jacket so she would be safe. She said you don't want to stand out. Um...in the south if you walk around in the summer with a jacket on you will stand out.

You can't stretch at a rest stop because you might get kidnapped. Of course, if you don't stretch and properly rest, you might get in an accident. If they are that afraid of taking trips alone, why even take the freakin' trip?

Also grunge down....I guess that means dress like a slob so no one will pay attention to you. But if you dress sloppy, you stand out.

Worse, none of her advice will keep you safe from an attack. You need to be aware of your surrondings and follow your gut instinct. But wearing a jacket in the heat will only make you stand out even more.

She also says that there was a guy at the pump. She did a ninety degree angle(not certain what she means) to let him know that she knew he was there but was not interested. What the heck does she mean?

I don't think she knows all that much about HT and what makes one a target.

What you wear does not make you a target. People actually put out 'orders' for what type a person they want...if you fit the 'order' you are a target. Throwing a jacket over you sleeveless top or 'grunging' won't do shit.

Most cases of HT involve illegals. It is a growing issue within the US, though...they prey on the lonely, mentally handicapped, and young. Males are at risk, too.

I should forward this to a friend who is involved in an anti HT group.

Oh and all the ummmmssss were annoying.

Um, I guess, Deborah Brown hasn't watched this video yet.;-)

:P Love it! See, difference is, Deborah is never seen except with Scott Brown. Who I'll bet anything packs heat. Because his skinny self wouldn't be much help in a mano-a-mano situation, JMHO.

Opened the video and saw two girls who could easily by my grandchildren. Yeah. The advice I'd take from them would have to do with my smartPhone or debugging a computer. Safety? Well, I hope that other young'uns are listening to lots of cautions about prudent behavior and personal security.

This video probably is helpful to young women just by seeing their peers taking the subject seriously.

Fundies (among other groups) seem to have this idea that if you do or think the right things, you'll be safe. That everything good that happens to them is because they do what they are supposed to. Of course, this the flip side. The idea that if you're not always on watch against doing the wrong thing, terrible, horrible things will happen to you and it will be all your fault. I'm reminded of a quote from the show Babylon 5:

Marcus Cole: I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

I can now say I've heard of everything. The truth is, wearing a jacket in the summer, especially in the south is going to make one stand out more. There are criminals who target people who are more covered up than others because they see the person as an easier target because they stand out.

I found this on youtube. It is a movie in 19 parts.... Maybe these girls need to watch and get a little bit educated? Scary thing is that I see escapee fundies as being VERY vulnerable to the tricks of the 'trade.'

http://youtu.be/A4bLeY2xwtg

VERY INTENSE!! This movie glosses over nothing. Not for the sensitive. It will sicken and enrage you.

I like the advice to be aware of your surroundings and let the strangers in the area know that you are aware of them. Okay, that's good advice.

The rest of it is ridiculous. The little anecdote about being at a gas station "late at night"? Which, they clarify, is around 8:00. 8:00 at night is not a dangerous time. Especially not if it's a 100 degrees, because that means it's summer, and that means it's light outside.

I'm puzzled here. This video is clearly aimed at American and Canadian girls, and while young women in the US and Canada traveling alone really are in danger, they are in danger of being abducted and raped, maybe killed. Not, for the most part, being abducted and forced to be a prostitute. So why emphasize the whole human trafficking bit?

I have a little bit of a working theory here: that the idea is to make the outside world seem dark and ominous. Like imply that there are organized rings of atheistic trucker-pimps trolling for young Christian girls and you give young Christian girls one more reason to never leave their father's house.

Here's another video focusing on the human slavery part.

De facto slavery is horrible, and I am glad that there is a growing awareness of the problem, but dude. Really. Pimps aren't grabbing just anybody to turn out. They aren't gonna grab someone if that someone's face is gonna be on the news the next day as a missing person. They want somebody who nobody is looking for, or somebody whose family is halfway around the world. They don't need to snatch victims when they can buy or trick them instead.

Sugar, actually HT is a growing problem here in the US. People ARE getting snatched or traped and sold as sex slaves. The victims are kept in dark basements, and moved about constantly to avoid detection. Just look at Jaycee; she was hidden in plain sight for so long even with the police 'searching' the house!

This kind of thing could be going on in your neighborhood and you would never know it.

Oh, and that video I linked has this particularly asinine comment

Excellent reminders, thank you ladies :)

Also, ladies, be aware of the time of day. Typically, early mornings can be a prime time for predators. In addition, ladies with long hair put up in a pony tail are easy to "grab". So be aware of that, too.

Oh, this again. These two "facts" are based on this horrible list of advice that was going around maybe fifteen years ago. It was being promoted by a "self-defense expert" and was supposedly based on questionnaires answered by convicted sex criminals. I think Snopes once did a point-by-point debunking of it.

This list claimed that early morning was when most sex crimes happened. Not true. Also, why would a ponytail be any easier to grab than a bun or a loose hank of hair? The original list was also very anti-overall. Said predators just loved overalls because they could cut through the straps and the whole garment would fall to the woman's ankles and she'd be all exposed to the attack. Yes, that's right--rapists carry scissors.

WTH? Does that make any sense at all? Had this person ever actually met a pair of overalls? First of all, unless they are eight sizes too big, they are not going to fall to the ground if the straps are cut. The flap will fall, and the pants will be still be hanging on the hips. Duh. Secondly, overalls are usually denim or some other canvas-like material, and even if they are made of a lightweight fabric, the straps are doubled-up and doubled stitched. You'd have to saw at them to get them to rip. It would be more efficient to just, you know, undo the buckle.

I can't believe that someone's still citing that crappy list of not true things. It still makes me unreasonably ragey, because I hate to think of women nodding and doing things they think will make them safe, but in reality are just plain nonsensical, like not wearing overalls or ponytails. It was the weirdest, creepiest piece of advice--it was so far not based on real statistically valid sex crimes that it came off like someone's odd S&M fantasy.

Sugar, actually HT is a growing problem here in the US. People ARE getting snatched or traped and sold as sex slaves. The victims are kept in dark basements, and moved about constantly to avoid detection. Just look at Jaycee; she was hidden in plain sight for so long even with the police 'searching' the house!

This kind of thing could be going on in your neighborhood and you would never know it.

The terminology is a problem here. While Jaycee was a sex slave, she was not trafficked. She was never sold; she was never forced to prostitute. Neither were Elizabeth Smart or Sean Hornbeck. I cannot think of one domestic stranger abduction that led to an organized traffic ring.

The whole thing about human trafficking is that it requires multiple bad guys. Pimps and clients. One or two people holding a victim hostage cannot be defined as trafficking.

You need to study up and become aware. It IS happening. Denial won't help you or anyone else. I have been to HT awareness sessions, I sat through horror story after horror story of girls that were lured/ snatched and sold into the sex trade. US born girls. While the majority of HT involves illegals/ those trapped from Russia and other places, there ARE US citizens caught up, too.

I simply used Jaycee to show how EASY it is to hide in plain sight- and for a long time.

Okay, can you give some resource material here? Because aside from a few anomalies like Amy Billig*, the majority of the trafficking situations I know of involve as you said, illegals/imported girls, or runaways, or people trafficked/sold by their own families. Not young women kidnapped at a rest stop in Virginia or a mall in Utah.

I'm not so much interested in "lured" as I am "snatched." I am of course familiar with the stories of teenaged girls who get seduced then turned out.

*I know Amy Billig may not have been trafficked, I just mean that there are some Amy Billig type stories out there.

Anyway, I do stand by my point, which is that an American girl at a gas station has, statistically, a far greater chance of being abducted by a rapist or a serial killer than by a trafficker. And this makes me curious as to why No Greater Joy Ministries wants to emphasize the trafficking and not the other very bad thing.

To be honest these fundy girls are much more in danger than your average woman, and it's got nothing to do with their clothes. Many of them are incredibly sheltered and naive and wouldn't necessarily spot the danger signs until it was too late.

There are many sites with stories and testimonials, here is one.

http://www.polarisproject.org/what-we-d ... 7Aodvn_TXA

FTR, being lured and being snatched off the street are, in effect, the same thing. They both result in Americian men, women and children finding themselves as sex (or other) slaves. Seriously, with all the people who are missing, and no trace of them found, what do you think might be going on with them? Recent cases of people being found months/ years later have disproven the 24-48 hour myth.

True, a rapist is the biggest threat, but do not discount the threat of HT. It is a growing problem in the US.

There are many sites with stories and testimonials, here is one.

http://www.polarisproject.org/what-we-d ... 7Aodvn_TXA

FTR, being lured and being snatched off the street are, in effect, the same thing. They both result in Americian men, women and children finding themselves as sex (or other) slaves.

I think the difference, at least in my mind, is the level of violence. Luring would imply that the victim willingly went along under false pretenses, while snatching intimates that there was force used and the victim was unwilling or fighting back.

Most people would know better than to get in the car with someone they don't know, so they don't feel that they can be lured into something like this. Snatching or being abducted is a whole lot more frightening, as it could really happen to anyone.

To be honest these fundy girls are much more in danger than your average woman, and it's got nothing to do with their clothes. Many of them are incredibly sheltered and naive and wouldn't necessarily spot the danger signs until it was too late.

How many of us would spot the danger? One story I heard was from a 17-year-old who was invited to a 'party.' When she got there, it was only some guy who beat the shit out of her, drugged her and sent her into the sex trade.

How many of us would go to a party that a 'friend' from school invited us to? Oh yes, they have teens/women involved in luring others in....probaly in exchange for not being sold into the trade themselves.

There are many stories like that. In the movie I linked earlier, it was a false 'modeling' agency or mail order brides who recieved 'proposals' or a woman who thought she was going out on a weekend get away with her 'boyfriend.'

Archived