IGNORED

Lisa Pennington's Ugly Xmas Tree

Clutched Pearls

I am never going to be the queen of Pinterest, but damn, that tree set up is bad! 

I think that's supposed to be a nativity set up in the lower box. It's probably the lighting, but it looks like flames roasting the caged Christmas tree on top of it. My first thought was - why did she consign her Christmas tree to hell? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like a lot of her decor. It's vintagey/shabby chic/Jill's wedding to the point of being odd. An old fridge that holds blankets? :tw_confused:

1 minute ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I really don't like a lot of her decor. It's vintagey/shabby chic/Jill's wedding to the point of being odd. An old fridge that holds blankets? :tw_confused:

Yeah, she takes something that's okay in small doses and takes it wayyyyy way way to far

It took a bit for me to realize that she didn't just stick a tiny tree on top of a stack of stuff - but the stack was part of the tree! No. I have seen people do some really creative things in place of trees. This is not it. This is more of a pinterest fail than anything else. 

6 hours ago, Koala said:

She should totally try to sell the damn thing to Cracker Barrel.

I'm laughing at this in a patty and Selma way from the Simpsons. Thanks for the laugh on an otherwise shitty Christmas Eve. :pb_lol:

On 12/21/2015 at 5:47 PM, halcionne said:

I like it.

I am with you, Halcionne,  I kind of dig it too.  I can't stand what I know of Lisa Pennington, and most of her house is just so over the top in its effort to be preciously unique,  but I don't hate this tree.  I think it would have looked better without the bucket on top, and just have it end with the small tree, but it isn't the worst idea that I have have seen of hers.., but I have a thing for old luggage.  one of my favorite end tables that I used to have was a stack of 3 very old suitcases.  They were beat up, but I loved the look of them.  And they were a great way to store things in a as well.. They were found items  at a garage sale.  I ended up having to throw them away when my poor old confused dog actually peed on them.  In his last few weeks of life, he had was randomly peeing on things. 

13 hours ago, calimojo said:

I am with you, Halcionne,  I kind of dig it too.  I can't stand what I know of Lisa Pennington, and most of her house is just so over the top in its effort to be preciously unique,  but I don't hate this tree.  I think it would have looked better without the bucket on top, and just have it end with the small tree, but it isn't the worst idea that I have have seen of hers.., but I have a thing for old luggage.  one of my favorite end tables that I used to have was a stack of 3 very old suitcases.  They were beat up, but I loved the look of them.  And they were a great way to store things in a as well.. They were found items  at a garage sale.  I ended up having to throw them away when my poor old confused dog actually peed on them.  In his last few weeks of life, he had was randomly peeing on things. 

The Penningtons suck and she tries hard (and usually fails) to do some kind of shabby chic thing. The time she buttoned red flannel shirt wrong was a big fail, for instance, and that whole Magnolia Pearl or whatever it is looks like some kind of satiritical statement about women's fashion, but I think the tree is well-proportioned and and hits its intended quirky, shabby mark. 

I don't particularly like her aesthetic, but I think she executed it well. For once.

It's very Pinterest-y. I'm not going to knock it, most people's attempts at replicating Pinterest don't turn out all that spectacularly. Maybe they've got a kid who's allergic to real trees and they decided to try something different this year and ended up with a #PinterestFail instead.

On December 24, 2015 at 6:58 AM, FundiesInParis said:

Yeah, she takes something that's okay in small doses and takes it wayyyyy way way to far

Isn't that the riff for these folks' lives? Decorating, religion, keeping your kids safe, having spousal harmony -- they go overboard with everything! And it's not good!

5 hours ago, Et Moi said:

It's very Pinterest-y. I'm not going to knock it, most people's attempts at replicating Pinterest don't turn out all that spectacularly. Maybe they've got a kid who's allergic to real trees and they decided to try something different this year and ended up with a #PinterestFail instead.

No,  she was to cheap to buy one. She said so explicitly.  And there are two real (maybe tiny artificial,  I dunno) trees in the picture, too. 

1 hour ago, spinsterwv said:

What was the connection between the Penningtons and Magnolia Pearl?

She wears MP clothes, I think bought for less than retail online. 

On the right person, MP clothes can have their own (limited, IMHO) appeal. 

Also MHO, Mrs. P is NOT that person! 

I am a regular thrift store shopper, and I just don't get Lisa's Magnolia Pearl habit. You can find almost any comperable item for just a few dollars at Goodwill, as opposed to $300. However, a significant price reduction still wouldn't make the clothes look good. I'd take one for the team and buy one of their less obnoxious items to get a look at the quality, but I just can't stomach paying that much money for someone's vintage dust bowl cast-offs, when I could get a nice pair of leather shoes instead.

Archived