IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds Part 2

happy atheist

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Not only that but the front of their house looks like a used car lot. Don't tell me there wasn't a single vehicle he couldn't have borrowed. Or one jill could've borrowed for errand running. 

Filming? Crap. I saw something from the hollywood gossip about that.  I just didn't believe it. Figured i'd wait till i heard it here first.  More "and counting" stuff, or the whole clan?

I guess as long as they don't film JBoob and MeeChelle and Joshley they figure they can try to make it work. Don't know. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2016 at 8:46 PM, stevie said:

I don't understand why any of these people don't want to work. How can people be that lazy? I find work fulfilling. I can't imagine sitting on Instagram all day fulfilling. 

Eh, different people like different things. I'd be happy to never work another day in my life. Not that raising my kids isn't work, but I hated working in an office. I would work on a film set (my degree is in film production), but I hate the looooong hours. The only thing I have ever really wanted to do was be a stay at home mom. However, despite that I went to college and grad school and had several jobs before having my kids in my early 30s. After they go to school full time, I would like to do volunteer work if we don't need the $$$. Basically, working didn't do anything to fulfill me. I hated it, despite having a job I loved.

I was always jealous of people with a strong career drive. Or people who felt fulfilled working. I've never had that. I was just never pulled to any specific career. It made college stressful, to say the least.

On January 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I thought Ben looked bored when he was supposed to be listening. The focus wasn't on him. Must admit, I didn't watch the whole thing because I was bored.

I can't see Ben making a living at anything that involves public speaking or media communications. He constantly looks drowsy and sounds extremely congested. I'm sure it's been discussed before, I just want to send this boy a box of sudafed. And he has the personality of a saltine cracker. In addition to his painfully slow speech where you can see the wheels turning as he talks, can't stand to listen to stuffy Seewald. 

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I was always jealous of people with a strong career drive. Or people who felt fulfilled working. I've never had that. I was just never pulled to any specific career. It made college stressful, to say the least.

I am someone who feels fulfilled working, so I must ask what makes people who are the opposite feel fulfilled? I am, of course, asking respectfully. 

33 minutes ago, ExLuther said:

I am someone who feels fulfilled working, so I must ask what makes people who are the opposite feel fulfilled? I am, of course, asking respectfully. 

Good question. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

really good question about the work issue

when I worked at the Fire department as in Recruitment/Fire Prevention as an Admin I worked with ALL MEN - men are wonderful to work with which makes a job easier if you work around happy people 

no bullshit whatsoever - plus I was in love with my boss :D but still men say it straight and to the point - so I loved working there - I was happy to go to work and never wanted it end because I laughed all day  - and when I worked in another department with all women  - it was cattiness and plain hard and the hours dragged - 

and now working in a whole new field - real estate - and working for a retired professor - both are good to be at - i look forward to going to work - i like being of service - which is important to me 

and Jessa posted a new picture of her hand or either spud's hand in the hand :D

21 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Good question. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

For the majority of people, it depends on the work you're doing. If I'm just selling myself to capitalism, I'm not interested in the slightest. Doing something that impacts others positively? Sign me tf up. 

If you don't feel like the work you're doing is meaningful, what's fulfilling about that? Not all work is the same, imho.

I'd love to see Ben do a debate.  A somewhat unscripted debate, where the topic is given ahead of time like in high school. One rule would be "because Jesus" isn't an argument or rebuttal. 

I don't think Ben could hold his own even with a handful of note cards and days of preparation. How he plans to make a career out of whatever it is he's doing, I have no clue. 

Duggar Official posted the following as Jessa's favorite bible verse:
Acts 4:13:
"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."

Thoughts?

I'm admittedly a heathen, but my best interpretation would be:
Peter and John had a rep for being kinda dense.  But after hanging with Jesus, they were considered "cool".  ???  
If I'm even close to being correct, the irony is astounding to me.

I'd like to think Jessa is mentally replacing 'Peter and John' with 'Jessa and Ben'. I can't decide if that's immensely arrogant or unwittingly self-aware.

2 hours ago, Cactus said:

I'd like to think Jessa is mentally replacing 'Peter and John' with 'Jessa and Ben'. I can't decide if that's immensely arrogant or unwittingly self-aware.

nothing she is does is unwittingly self aware 

not even that hand picture - next we will get an eye picture - of his eye and ben's eye 

and ben won't be holding him up to his eye - sister mom joy will

it's all planned and executed with this one - every move 

Does anybody else find that picture of them kissing offensive like a couple of horny teenagers?

No shade to your avatar, nst.

8 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."

Thoughts?

Peter and John had a rep for being kinda dense.  But after hanging with Jesus, they were considered "cool".  ???  

Peter and John were fishermen by trade, and fishermen were typically uneducated. After Jesus was crucified and resurrected, he told the disciples to wait for the Holy Spirit. Then Jesus left them and ascended to heaven, and the disciples waited around together until the Holy Spirit was given to them in Acts 2. The disciples then were empowered to preach, and were able to preach in a very educated way, which included scripture. This surprised people because usually fishermen didn't know scripture like that, and weren't so theologically sophisticated. (note: they'd preached before, but this was especially powerful preaching now that they had the Spirit.)

I absolutely agree that the meaning of this to the Duggars is, "We're spirit-filled which is all the education we need."

12 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Does anybody else find that picture of them kissing offensive like a couple of horny teenagers?

No shade to your avatar, nst.

it looks like Jess is sucking life out of him....isn't there a picture of Jim Bob and Michelle as well like that one?  eewww 

41 minutes ago, biblelandjunkie said:

it looks like Jess is sucking life out of him....isn't there a picture of Jim Bob and Michelle as well like that one?  eewww 

Maybe Jessa thought that was how you got pregnant?!

I did see a humorous line today about the girls filming their shopping trip.(yawn) Why can't they hold their own babies? Also, I am assuming it is chilly there and Meridith appears to have on a dress as you can see her bare legs. So they cover them up to the neck in the summer and freeze them in the winter?! The line mentioned that it was filmed at the same thrift store where the Duggars had previously set up a "fake" food give away for the show. Told how they picked a couple to receive this generous donation of junk food and as soon as the cameras shut off the box went back into the gas guzzling Suburban. Made me a giggle. I am evil like that.

Eventually all the stories will collide and they will be done. Toasted. But, they will have no idea why or what happen.

I also envy people with a strong career drive. I've never had that. To me, working outside the home is the most stressful thing I can possibly think of. That being said, I'm not lazy. I cook, clean, and do laundry, and I homeschool. I do yard work and take care of our animals. I know it sounds cheesy, but I get fulfillment from serving my family. I will have to figure out the career thing eventually, though, and it is a huge source of stress.

21 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Thoughts?

I don't think Peter and John were "dense."  But they were uneducated, and back then an uneducated fisherman wasn't expected to be able to talk about God and commandments or how to love your neighbor and live a better life.

So Jesus's teachings made a difference in these men, who were able to show wisdom that one wouldn't expect of ignorant fishermen, because Jesus taught and inspired them.  Also, as @livinginthelight points out, after the Holy Spirit came to them, they automatically knew scripture and a lot of other stuff that made them good preachers. (They also could speak other people's languages, after Pentecost.)

As for Jessa -- yeah, I think she likes the idea that you don't need an education, just Jesus.  But she is wrong.

I don't find my job fulfilling. That being said, not working would dive me CRAZY. The idea of just expecting others to take care of me when I am physically (and, at this point, mentally) capable of working is just so foreign to me.

47 minutes ago, Full enough quiver said:

I also envy people with a strong career drive. I've never had that. To me, working outside the home is the most stressful thing I can possibly think of. That being said, I'm not lazy. I cook, clean, and do laundry, and I homeschool. I do yard work and take care of our animals. I know it sounds cheesy, but I get fulfillment from serving my family. I will have to figure out the career thing eventually, though, and it is a huge source of stress.

I am the same way. I know that when my son is older...I will have to find work. I have a college degree but I don't really care to do anything in that field. So I have no clue what I will do. I try not to think about it too much right now though.

7 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I don't find my job fulfilling. That being said, not working would dive me CRAZY. The idea of just expecting others to take care of me when I am physically (and, at this point, mentally) capable of working is just so foreign to me.

So...not working outside the home means someone expects others to take care of them?! Riiight. I'm quite capable of taking care of myself, thanks.

On 1/23/2016 at 4:50 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I don't know if this is at all helpful but my mother is the same way. She just chose whichever major she felt was easiest in college (Economics) and worked a number of jobs until she fell into what she does now. I think she has a much more fulfilling "inner world" than her "outer world". She has a lot of hobbies, crochets a lot of things, reads a lot about antique dishes but is deeply looking forward to retiring.

I, on the other hand, do love my job but if I didn't have to work, much like the guy in Office Space, I probably would not. So, I'm not sure where I fall in the spectrum. I certainly know that I chose what I want to do but I also sure as hell wouldn't do it for free.

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

I don't know if this is at all helpful but my mother is the same way. She just chose whichever major she felt was easiest in college (Economics) and worked a number of jobs until she fell into what she does now. I think she has a much more fulfilling "inner world" than her "outer world". She has a lot of hobbies, crochets a lot of things, reads a lot about antique dishes but is deeply looking forward to retiring.

I, on the other hand, do love my job but if I didn't have to work, much like the guy in Office Space, I probably would not. So, I'm not sure where I fall in the spectrum. I certainly know that I chose what I want to do but I also sure as hell wouldn't do it for free.

I don't quite know how to put this, but this whole mindset of not having a very strong career drive is just so foreign to me. I understand that everyone has different life experiences and perspectives, of course, but it was drilled into me from childhood that I had to have a good job and a career that would earn me money and prestige. Both of my parents were lawyers (my dad is general counsel of a firm and my mom was a law librarian/lawyer until my sister was born), and I think my mom really missed her law career, which she gave up to be a SAHM. When I told my mom at age 6 that I wanted to be a princess, she told me that I needed to aim higher because princesses don't actually have any political power or a real job (debatable now that I follow all the stuff Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden does). Everything I've done in life has been with the end goal of launching a career. Sometimes I think about having a family, and I do have hobbies and interests, but I've been trained to be a workaholic. I think even if I never had to work another day in my life, I'd still get a job, or travel the world and work freelance type things/itinerant jobs. I can't imagine not working or studying.

I understand both sides. I'm very lazy lol, however when I started working even if it wasn't my favorite job getting a paycheck was enough for me to love it:pb_lol: just buying my own stuff is the best, not having to ask my parents for money. Now that I'm a little more stable and working on my career that I love, I feel very much fulfilled and I want to keep moving on my career but I love free time, being at home and do nothing and I look forward to my retirement:pb_lol:

i don't think you people are lazy. 

I do think that the location of the job makes a difference. Especially if it takes you 2 hours to get to work.  That is painful that is why I would work within my location whether it is 5 minutes or an 15 minutes.  Makes a difference !!

Would I like to win the lottery and just buy real estate damn straight 

9 hours ago, Full enough quiver said:

I am a very career driven woman.  I always wanted a stay at home wife to take care of things.  I stayed at home when my children were very small and I know first-hand what goes into a home-cooked dinner, a clean house, well cared for pets, a neat yard, and fresh laundry.  One of the reasons for the breakup of my first marriage was that I wanted to pursue my career by staying put instead of continually moving to benefit my ex's career.  When I married a second time, I was well into my career, and could have cared less that my husband wasn't as career-driven as I am.  Been there, done that.  When he was laid off in his 50s (during the economic downturn of '08), I said, why not be a house husband? He's not lazy.  Not only is he a first-rate home-maker, he also drives me to work, coaches me to work out regularly, and plays the piano semi-professionally.  Needless to say, I love this man who does so much to enhance the quality of our lives together and feel extremely fortunate to have so much support. Never, never, never underestimate what good home making contributes to your family's well-being! 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived