IGNORED

Law and Order: Duggars

Kira

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...my... Odin!!! Thank you SVU!!

Great episode, it was like combining Randy Wilson's purity balls and the Duggars all into one expose'. I loved how many simular things there were to 19 and counting from the circle handhold from the first time the Duggars went to NYC to the picture of them with a green backdrop and oh the stupid adoring stare... They sure did their homework. It made my heart break though when the mom actually apologized to Lane and told her it wasn't her fault. Sure, they still defended the son, but they wanted justice for the Pastor's crimes and it was bittersweet knowing Jill and Jess will never have a moment like this. Thankfully though neither of them got pregnant from Josh. 

Anyone else just gasp "ALERT"when they talked about the Christian camp they sent the brother too that wasn't on record?

Also, I was reminded of a Documentary I watched a while back highly reccomend it. The Virgin Daughters by BBC. It is all about the Purity ball movement and how it was started in Colorado Springs. But the point of this was, the daughter marrying the pastor reminded me of Jessica (from the doc) being forced to marry the guy who got her pregnant because thats all she knew to do. Thankfully she broke from fundie and became a successful woman though, actually won Ms. Colorado back in 2008. ((Sorry for the offtopic. lol))

Everyone is talking about not-michelle, but why isn't anyone talking about not-Jim Bob? He was amazing, he talked exactly like him. And the oart about the past mistakes, is exactly the words he used on megyn kelly. I wish Michelle had the guts to stand up for her daughters like that. 

Really satisfying ending to the episode, though I did like the nod to how, when they thought it was the son, they just sent him off without pursuing charges. In the reveal scene, Liv even says they would do anything to protect the oldest son-- I think there was a bit of implied "even at the expense of your daughters". Heck, it wasnt even implied, they were about to make their 14 year old marry a pastor so that (who they thought was) her brothers child would "have a name" :my_sick:.  SVU did a good job of giving this an ending where the sisters get justice, but still alluding to how things could have went with this family (amd did go with the Dugs). 

Oh man, I kept going "Nah, Duggars wouldn't do that." the entire time.

J'chelle wouldn't stand up for her daughters like that. 

Daughter's purity ball dress was too low cut.

The Duggars would NEVER say "I don't care about the show."

I kind of wish they would've thrown out the words "precious" and "layed it on my heart." and "purposed to.."

Overall, I liked it. I liked that the victims got justice in the end and the mother agreed to testify. I only wish real fundie womens' parents would back them like that if they were in that position.

Overall great episode but they changed up a lot compared to the Duggars story.  I agree with everyone else though that fake Michelle reacted much better then the real Michelle.  

Agree!  

Im really curious if they will eventually do an episode highlighting the whole Joshley Madison scenario as well. They could potentially do a "revisit" type of show in several months where they use the same characters, or they could rewrite a whole new family of characters. To be slightly different from real life, they could do it as some sort of "rape role play" where the guy ended up going too far and murdering the hooker. Because, let's face it, they have to do *some* details differently so as not to alarm the lawyers of those they portray (or claim NOT to portray lol).

This SVU episode was an awesome birthday present for me. :) Anyone perused twitter to see Cousin Amy's reaction yet? I know I saw she was a bit taken aback by the CMA jokes...

Just a few things I'd like to mention.. I haven't seen the cast of the new season, so some of the people were new to me; not a super fan of the newbies. Bring back Stabler, the curly-haired lab lady & Richard Whatshisface as Finn's partner.

Secondly, the episode, while it was quite good, seemed a bit rushed to me (it could've been drawn out into two episodes; I did like Flaming Fundie's previous idea of having a sequel for this). Did it seem that way to anyone else, or was it just me?

I'll admit to not having watched SVU in years, but I had to see this one and was totally impressed. I would also have liked to have seen a two part episode...so much more that could have been explored.

Watched this with my husband who only knows what I tell him about the Duggars.  It was so weird to keep telling him "That's exactly what happened!"  after every revelation.  It had "truthiness" as Colbert would say.  If the exact thing didn't happen, an extremely similar thing did.  Or it happened to a similar family.  He didn't know about the creepy purity balls, which are exactly as creepy as they looked in the episode. 

So many times watching this type of tv drama about your area of expertise, you end up saying "No, no, that's wrong!  That doesn't happen!!" But in this case? not so much.

I loved it. Perfect mix of the brother being the perv and the pastor being the perp. And, you can definitely tell the writers wrote Faux-chelle getting a backbone in the end, as if they wished this is what the real Michelle would do in reality. The last line about how rapists don't always hunt on the streets, they hunt where they're trusted most. Perfect.

What caused Mrs. Baker to come back to reality was the realization that their Gothard-esque pastor had lied to them and exploited the daughters, which caused the whole facade to crack. I don't think JB and Michelle are capable of having that kind of insight about any aspect of their lifestyle. Part of this is because the Duggars are intellectually limited by their own choice and another part of it is that Gothardism is very much cause and effect, so if something bad happens to you, it's your fault for not following the rules enough.

Just a few things I'd like to mention.. I haven't seen the cast of the new season, so some of the people were new to me; not a super fan of the newbies. Bring back Stabler, the curly-haired lab lady & Richard Whatshisface as Finn's partner.

Secondly, the episode, while it was quite good, seemed a bit rushed to me (it could've been drawn out into two episodes; I did like Flaming Fundie's previous idea of having a sequel for this). Did it seem that way to anyone else, or was it just me?

Yup, I 100% agree (although I really liked the episode)  - it was a more than a bit rushed ... especially from the time they realized the pastor/lawyer was the father for sure through to the end, quite rushed.  

And, having not watched Law & Order since the original series, I was half expecting there to be the traditional format of half "order" (the police work) and the other half "law" (trial & courtroom scenes) with the lawyers being irritated that the police screwed something up royally so it couldn't be used in court.  For example, there were some details around the DNA testing that didn't seem permissable to me ..  (although I've seen DNA taken before from combs, drinking cups, etc. without permission)  although I am not any kind of a lawyer.   I would have like to have seen the resulting court scenes & testimony re: the older daughter (if it was brought into the case), etc.    

I would love a sequel with the same characters; I though they all played their roles very well.  

The FakeDuggar girls were much better off -- well, except for the oldest and her asshole of a husband (I noticed that he "scolded" her when they arrived because she didn't help "enough" with carrying bags or their kid or whatever).

FakeJosh was a handsy shit, but I don't know if he went as far as actual Josh. FakeGothard was the real threat, much more than FakeJosh. 

FakeJB and FakeMichelle actually gave a shit about their kids, more than their own fame. If only that were true.

The FakeDuggar girls were much better off -- well, except for the oldest and her asshole of a husband (I noticed that he "scolded" her when they arrived because she didn't help "enough" with carrying bags or their kid or whatever).

FakeJosh was a handsy shit, but I don't know if he went as far as actual Josh. FakeGothard was the real threat, much more than FakeJosh. 

FakeJB and FakeMichelle actually gave a shit about their kids, more than their own fame. If only that were true.

I think it was implied that FakeJosh had been molesting some of the girls and that there was video of it. This is why he was initially suspected of being the father of Tate and of Lane's fetus by not JB and Michelle.

If something like that had happened in Duggarland the girls would have been suspect for not being modest enough.   It wouldn't have been because no one shouted NIKE at the pastor.   

Duggars would never have attended a Purity Ball - you can't dance, even with your dad!   

Richard Belzer was Finn's partner, John Munch.  Belzer played Munch on 10 different TV series over the course of 21 years.  Tamara Tunie still occasionally appears as Dr Melinda Warner.  Christopher Meloni, who played Elliot Stabler, also played Chris Keller in Oz at the same time that he played Stabler and now plays a Roman vampire on True Blood.

@notfundy, L&O:SVU doesn't often follow the investigation and trial format of the original series and never has.   It's usually just the investigation leading to the arrest of the perp.

I love how they kept the ugliness of the brother being a molesting perv and the parents covering it up, but kept pointing toward the real evil — their fundamentalist ideology. Which allows predators to take on leadership positions and abuse the vulnerable. Well done, SVU. Well done.

Richard Belzer was Finn's partner, John Munch.  Belzer played Munch on 10 different TV series over the course of 21 years.  Tamara Tunie still occasionally appears as Dr Melinda Warner.  Christopher Meloni, who played Elliot Stabler, also played Chris Keller in Oz at the same time that he played Stabler and now plays a Roman vampire on True Blood.

@notfundy, L&O:SVU doesn't often follow the investigation and trial format of the original series and never has.   It's usually just the investigation leading to the arrest of the perp.

Thank you, PennySycamore, you're awesome. I was having a senior moment w/remembering Belzer's name.  

I knew that Chris Meloni had been in True Blood (which I never saw him in), but I recently saw him in the last Superman movie ("Man Of Steel"); all I could think of was, "Hey, it's Stabler!" I was then distracted by Henry Cavill's muscles to worry about it too much, though.  :bananna-demon: 

This SVU episode was an awesome birthday present for me. :) Anyone perused twitter to see Cousin Amy's reaction yet? I know I saw she was a bit taken aback by the CMA jokes...

I wasn't able to watch live last night, but I was able to sneak a few peaks on Twitter.  I searched #SVU and the twitterverse was keeping me up to date!  I'll check out cousin Amys tweets!

There is also a twitter hashtag #SVU17andCounting  I don't know that much about SVU, it is their 17th season, or is twitter messing with Duggars?

I love SVU so much, Oliva is my gal! I'm really hoping they focus on these 'Duggars' will be exposed for being in a cult or something. IDK how they will tie ATI in without using the real name, but color me impressed if they do. Before that episode airs though at least I have a better Ben and Derrick to watch, its called Grimm ;) Really though take a look at Nick and Monroe, it is like B & D except Nick has a wee bit more going on upstairs than Bin.

Ah, we're really into Grimm here. Such a good show with beautiful filming. Love. It.

I wasn't able to watch live last night, but I was able to sneak a few peaks on Twitter.  I searched #SVU and the twitterverse was keeping me up to date!  I'll check out cousin Amys tweets!

There is also a twitter hashtag #SVU17andCounting  I don't know that much about SVU, it is their 17th season, or is twitter messing with Duggars?

Yes, this is SVU's 17th season.

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I don't watch broadcast TV and was sort of surprised that this show seems no more than an updated version of Dragnet, complete with an overly quick, neat and tidy ending.  Bleech.

But I do think it's great that they brought very direct attention to so much of the insanity we address out here every day.  And I agree that it seems someone did at least some of their homework out here.

I think they may have specifically mentioned the Duggars to avoid any possible confusion or accusations that the family portrayed was actually meant to be the Duggars.   

I thought this was okay and certainly a poke at the Duggars when fakeMichelle defended her daughter at the end  (and even swore!--definitely going to hell).

But, it did feel very rushed.  I had recorded it and watched it--speeding through commercials.  At one point, my daughter who was watching with me, saw that we only had about 1/4 left of the episode and even remarked that it was going to quickly.

I'm glad they did this, but I think they would have been better served to have written a two part episode and rushed the whole thing less.   And what was the whole point of the pregnant detective in the hospital scene?  I know they want to do character development, but it seemed like they needed 3 minutes more, so they stuck her in the hospital for  a scene.

Love the idea of a follow up with the same family for a Joshley Madison episode (although, they'd likely have to make the son-in-law the baddy for that one)

I enjoyed the episode a lot! I thought they did a great job. I watched it and the FJ feed simultaneously! Sure the Dad in the episode was kind of a nonentity; and not douche-baggy enough but the focus was really on the mom reaction. When the Baker mom redeemed herself in the end I almost cheered. It's too bad Michelle will never act this way. I am interested to see the ratings later and hold out hope that if they're good, maybe Wolf productions will address the Joshley Madison drama in a later "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES" show. They can have a "Jim Bobby" style actor with plastic hair!

I don't really watch SVU anymore. I really loved the chemistry of the old Elliot/Olivia dynamic. When Meloni left it was just "meh" for me. I liked the old characters but was a little confused by not knowing the new unit members. I loved Finn of course!

Chris Meloni is awesome. I have enjoyed his acting in so many shows over the years. They killed him off in True Blood way too soon. Oz was excellent. You can also catch him in the Netflix reboot of Wet Hot American summer. He's not Hollywood style "handsome" but his intensity and acting ability puts him on my "celebrity boyfriend" top 10 list.....:my_blush:

Archived