IGNORED

Law and Order: Duggars

Kira

Guys, the pastor didn't seduce her. He RAPED her. Seducing is called when you wake up after a one night stand and ask yourself "how the fuck this guy got me into his bed?".

Coercing someone to fuck with you is not the same as convincing someone to get into bed with you. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, the pastor didn't seduce her. He RAPED her. Seducing is called when you wake up after a one night stand and ask yourself "how the fuck this guy got me into his bed?".

Coercing someone to fuck with you is not the same as convincing someone to get into bed with you. 

No question, both the Not Duggar daughters were raped. No seduction is possible when you are a child that does not even know what sexual intercourse is.

btw that was the first episode i have watched xD, I know the programme runs here too, but i have never watched it..

SVU has some serious binge watching danger ;)

Right now my favorite crime series  *pettingmyproxy*

I watched life on Mars, I prefer british series generally, but all over I am not much of a series watcher, maybe once in a while. my other half calls all drama or crime series soapies xD/

I prefer the true crime shows on the Investigation Discovery channel. Quite addicting, if somewhat scary. When children are involved I cannot watch.

I am actually more of a early evening crime series watcher, like the german Grossstatrevier, (big city beat) which plays in hamburg (where I live)

*Admits to have watched BerlinTagundNacht as a couples activity :P*

I always need my once a week series fix of 2-3. Currently SVU and a 80s soapie (really, it´s very soapie - Ringstraßenpalais) . Downton Abbey was also on my list, but I had to abadon it - coudn´t fathom Fellowe´s bad writing any more. And I have no idea whatever happened to Once Upon A Time...

@SilverBeach anything on YouTube you would recommend? :)

I prefer the true crime shows on the Investigation Discovery channel. Quite addicting, if somewhat scary. When children are involved I cannot watch.

If you like true crime stuff...you'd probably enjoy a forum I'm on called websleuths.com :)

*Admits to have watched BerlinTagundNacht as a couples activity :P*

I always need my once a week series fix of 2-3. Currently SVU and a 80s soapie (really, it´s very soapie - Ringstraßenpalais) . Downton Abbey was also on my list, but I had to abadon it - coudn´t fathom Fellowe´s bad writing any more. And I have no idea whatever happened to Once Upon A Time...

@SilverBeach anything on YouTube you would recommend? :)

I watch ID on cable, not sure what might be on YouTube, but Evil Kin, Wives with Knives, True Nightmares, Killer Confessions, and Murder Book are just a few of their offerings.

If you like true crime stuff...you'd probably enjoy a forum I'm on called websleuths.com :)

I shall check it out...thanks! I've become quite an armchair detective, if I say so myself! 

It's an interesting site. Of course, you'd probably want to avoid the children threads over there too. Lots of missing kids. Not a lot of happy endings.

The only thing that kind of stinks is that when you "sleuth" someone...you can't post stuff you find about them (like a person's facebook page or criminal record, for example) until they have been named as a suspect on mainstream media sites.

Oh that site is such a rabbit hole! I remember, we had a brief discussion about it back on the old FJ site. Especially the Cold Cases are so interesting to read, like "Little Lord Fauntleroy" or the "Boy in the Box", makes you really wonder...

Oh, haven't read those. May have to check them out. I haven't been a member long and I have been sticking to the missing persons cases for the most part.

One of the meanings of "seduce" is "to maneuver or inveigle."  To inveigle is to get someone to do something through trickery or deception. I think that describes what the pastor did.  He did not use force. She did not feel violated (though obviously she was).

I used "seduce" instead of "rape" because it seemed easier than typing  "coerced to have sex" or statutorily raped."  I prefer to use language that reflects the perceptions/experience of the participants, not just my evaluation.  From Lane's perspective, he seduced her.   From the legal perspective it was statutory rape.  

oooh, I'll definitely check that out! The "boy in the box" occurred very close to my home. Although it happened before I was born, I remember hearing about the case often. 

No question, both the Not Duggar daughters were raped. No seduction is possible when you are a child that does not even know what sexual intercourse is.

Actually when Olivia asked Lane if she knew how she had gotten pregnant, the girl admitted that she had engaged in sexual activity. But I agree that it is statutory rape because they were in no position to consent or refuse consent.

I'd never heard of the boy in the box. Just googled. Reminds me so much of the recent case with the girl found on the beach in Massachusetts. Well, except she has now been identified, thankfully.

ETA - Just read more about this case. Law and Order: SVU used the boy in the box case for an episode as well. The episode was called "Name." http://lawandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Name

Just started watching this. The purity ball is so creepy. So incestuous. Eww. :brainbleach:

Super creepy. And that purity cake that looked like a mock-wedding cake, only with a little girl and father as the "bride and groom." That was just all sorts of wrong (especially....ugh...when you notice the uh....level difference between the two and the implications of that....and now I need a Karen Silkwood-style shower). :my_sick:

Just wondering if Mock-Wedding Cakes are a actual thing at Purity Balls, or if they had taken some artistic liberty for the sake of  TV Show...?

Just wondering if Mock-Wedding Cakes are a actual thing at Purity Balls, or if they had taken some artistic liberty for the sake of  TV Show...?

I just found this pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/mammanessa/purity-ball-ideas/.

It looks like mock-wedding cakes are a thing at purity balls (judging from this admittedly small sample!), but the show may have taken artistic liberty in adding the father and daughter figures atop the cake (none on this pinterest board include those figures).

I'm getting ready to go out for a bit, but will use some more google tactics (tm) later to see what more I can find out.

This reminded me of why Olivia Benson is my favorite on-screen detective EVER! :)

I thought NotMichelle was perfect. Even looked quite a lot like her. NotJosh had the self-centered creepo vibe of real Josh. 

Every time the cops or the parents did something that should have been done in real life, I was like BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll have to get back in the habit of watching SVU regularly.... 

I like her, but Kate Beckett is my favorite (at least if this season hasn't totally ruined her -- I haven't had a chance to watch this season because of passive aggressive roommates and their bitchiness).

Just as an aside-  what happened go Olivia's hot partner that she got after Stabler left? Omaro? My husband watches SVU more than I do so maybe he already knows, but we only ever watch it on Netflix (except this episode, which I naturally had to catch on Hulu) so we're behind the times.

Just as an aside-  what happened go Olivia's hot partner that she got after Stabler left? Omaro? My husband watches SVU more than I do so maybe he already knows, but we only ever watch it on Netflix (except this episode, which I naturally had to catch on Hulu) so we're behind the times.

If I remember correctly, Amaro was discouraged that he was not going to be able to advance through the NYPD hierarchy because of some of his hot-headed actions, and that was part of his decision to move to LA to help raise his daughter Zara. Admittedly, I have a bit of a foggy recollection of last season.

ETA: Yay! I'm thrilled that I am finally a Vigorous Leghumper! :leghumper:

Danny Pino left because he lives in LA and the travel was getting hard. Dick Wolf has left it open for him to return if he wishes. His last episode was the end of season 16.

I'm a big SVU fan and have watched every single episode, some more than once.

Edited to remove tapatalk sig.

Is it back on Netflix now? Last I looked it was only random episodes and not all of them. I love watching reruns. It was always my go-to 'background noise' show. Sadly, I can't really do that anymore (except during my son's naps time.)

Archived