IGNORED

Law and Order: Duggars

Kira

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Law and Order: SVU is a scripted TV show with real actors, I don't think they could have emulated the Duggars' poor enunciation without derailing the entire show. Either that, or they'd be accused of making fun of the Duggars based on their being Southern as opposed to wanting to critique their ideology. Plus, the Bakers were from upstate New York as I recall, and would sound completely different than the Arkansas Duggars anyway.

I was talking about cohesion, not about enunciation, accent or dialect. The Duggars (in addition to other problems) tend to ramble, and what they say makes, at times, little to no sense. They just drop their memorised, premade phrases, but often fail to form the rest of the sentence that goes around those phrases. The upstate Bakers could have had the same troubles, but they talked like normal adults (IMHO). But then again, they weren't the Duggars, but the Bakers.

So I finally was able to watch the first bit of the show (before the first commercial). L&O totally nailed everything wrong with the Duggars and Bates, etc. I loved Olivia's face when she was explained what a purity ball is about.

Finally watched it last night... I thought it was really good! I think they did a great job of pointing out and explaining the major flaws of a closed community that shuns outsiders' intervention. Not to mention pretty much everything that's wrong with the Duggars specifically. And the main story line was different, so the episode wasn't just a play-by-play of the police reports on national TV (which would've been gross).

I thought the parents' reaction at the end was a nice slap in the face to the Duggars and specifically their denial in stuff like the Megyn Kelly interview. I think it was a good writing choice to show what the right course of action should've been. I thought the parody of 19KAC was funny, too, without picking on stuff they can't change (like accents)... and figuring out the youngest boy's parentage based on the mom's fertility patterns! :laughing-rollingred: 

My only complaint was that it kinda felt rushed... I think it might've made a good 2-parter episode.

I wonder how the film crew feels about NotTheFilmCrew being accused of rolling cameras while the girls were undressing. :pb_lol:

This reminded me of why Olivia Benson is my favorite on-screen detective EVER! :)

I thought NotMichelle was perfect. Even looked quite a lot like her. NotJosh had the self-centered creepo vibe of real Josh. 

Every time the cops or the parents did something that should have been done in real life, I was like BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll have to get back in the habit of watching SVU regularly.... 

Agree that the pastor marrying the kid was gross. But the writers had to do something. 

Is it more gross for the pastor to marry the kid than seduce her?  

Obviously the guy is a creep, but from the parents' point of view, he is someone they trust and he offers to protect their daughter from shame. They can't hide her pregnancy because of the fainting, and they think the brother is guilty.  The pastor tells them that he will treat her like a daughter.  Except for their protecting their son (and their own rep) by hiding what they think is his guilt, I kind of see the parents as doing their best for their daughter.  

Marriage of girls fourteen and older is still allowed in many states because it wasn't so long ago that a girl "in trouble" would be disgraced if she wasn't married.  And people in rural communities didn't see anything wrong fifty or sixty years ago with a fourteen or fifteen year old (even if she wasn't pregnant) being married to a much older man if he could provide for her.  (Loretta Lynn married her husband when she was around 14, I believe.).

So for me the marriage is only gross because he seduced her first and is marrying her to save his own skin.

[snipped]

I'm glad they did this, but I think they would have been better served to have written a two part episode and rushed the whole thing less.   And what was the whole point of the pregnant detective in the hospital scene?  I know they want to do character development, but it seemed like they needed 3 minutes more, so they stuck her in the hospital for  a scene.

Love the idea of a follow up with the same family for a Joshley Madison episode (although, they'd likely have to make the son-in-law the baddy for that one)

I agree that a two-parter would have been good.  As for Rollins (the blond pregnant detective) in the hospital, my thought was maybe the actress (Kelli something) is going on maternity leave so they were preparing for her absence by putting her in the hospital.

As for the Ashley Madison thing, I would like it done with a different family so they could focus more on the hypocrisy of the holier than thou Save the Family Fundie Activists and less on the mega family.  I hope they do it for this season.

I agree that a two-parter would have been good.  As for Rollins (the blond pregnant detective) in the hospital, my thought was maybe the actress (Kelli something) is going on maternity leave so they were preparing for her absence by putting her in the hospital.

As for the Ashley Madison thing, I would like it done with a different family so they could focus more on the hypocrisy of the holier than thou Save the Family Fundie Activists and less on the mega family.  I hope they do it for this season.

Actually, that's exactly it. From what I read somewhere in one of the articles, the actress went into labor four days after they filmed this episode.

(And then Ice T trolled everyone by posting a picture of himself holding her baby. He got a TON of tweets going "Coco had the baby! Congrats!" and he let that go on for awhile and then said "Nah, that's just Kelli's baby.")

I read this thread Wednesday night, so when I watched the show on Thursday, I knew where the plot was going and some of the Duggarisms to look for. But when not-Michelle said, "It isn't easy with a big family, but we always pull it together," I really lost it! ("...but somehow we make it all work.") :pb_lol: 

I have since discovered that season 17 is the same for all but we won't see the episode for another 2 weeks I have to wait now as the nbc doesn't board cast in my region. 

Actually, it would be hilarious to see this family brought back for an Ashley Madison type scandal, only it would have to be the father since the son wasn't married. Maybe they could follow up and say the family didn't really change their ways after the trial to amp up the hypocrisy. 

Is it more gross for the pastor to marry the kid than seduce her?  

Obviously the guy is a creep, but from the parents' point of view, he is someone they trust and he offers to protect their daughter from shame. They can't hide her pregnancy because of the fainting, and they think the brother is guilty.  The pastor tells them that he will treat her like a daughter.  Except for their protecting their son (and their own rep) by hiding what they think is his guilt, I kind of see the parents as doing their best for their daughter.  

Marriage of girls fourteen and older is still allowed in many states because it wasn't so long ago that a girl "in trouble" would be disgraced if she wasn't married.  And people in rural communities didn't see anything wrong fifty or sixty years ago with a fourteen or fifteen year old (even if she wasn't pregnant) being married to a much older man if he could provide for her.  (Loretta Lynn married her husband when she was around 14, I believe.).

So for me the marriage is only gross because he seduced her first and is marrying her to save his own skin.

This ain't fifty/sixty years ago. For any reason, it is nasty to marry a 13 year old. Especially when mindflucking her with that I love you crap. Can't get onboard with that.

Yeah...any 13-14 year old getting married (especially to an adult) is disgusting and wrong. I don't care if it was done years ago. It isn't right now, that's for sure.

I enjoyed this and was also saddened. I wish that the girls had fake J-Chelle because she did a better job of at least coming around in the end. Rollins is one of us, clearly... and someone did their research. I wish there had been some kinda PSA at the end about how this shit is real and damaging but obviously they can't do that...

It always stuns me that these fundies don't see what's wrong with a daughter pledging virginity to their fathers. It makes them look creepy obsessed with their vaginas. 

Yeah...any 13-14 year old getting married (especially to an adult) is disgusting and wrong. I don't care if it was done years ago. It isn't right now, that's for sure.

I wasn't saying it was "right" in a general way--I was suggesting that compared to the seduction it was a minor point, hardly a major "yuck" but just a part of the whole disgusting seduction thing.  It isn't the marriage but the sex with a barely pubescent girl that bothers me.  

This ain't fifty/sixty years ago. For any reason, it is nasty to marry a 13 year old. Especially when mindflucking her with that I love you crap. Can't get onboard with that.

Totally agree that it is gross that he is marrying her after seducing her, mindfucking her etc.  

My point was that given that the girl was pregnant and the parents believed the pastor that he was marrying her to save her name and would treat her like a daughter and given that their beliefs were closer to those of people 50 years ago in that respect, there was nothing specifically "gross" about the marriage.  What was gross was that he had sex with a 13 year old, not that her parents consented to the marriage.

Finally found time to watch it too: A "Happy End (in comparison to the cicumstnace Episode" ! As alot of SVU episodes do clearly not have a good/fair ending, I almost thought the Creep would get through with the child marriage!

A bit off topic, but does anyone remember that CSI NY(?) episode where they take on on the FLDS sect and in the end the victim was forced to return to her "husband"?

Glad they didn´t go down this path here.

(also: missing Elliot... STILL!)

I wasn't saying it was "right" in a general way--I was suggesting that compared to the seduction it was a minor point, hardly a major "yuck" but just a part of the whole disgusting seduction thing.  It isn't the marriage but the sex with a barely pubescent girl that bothers me.  

Totally agree that it is gross that he is marrying her after seducing her, mindfucking her etc.  

My point was that given that the girl was pregnant and the parents believed the pastor that he was marrying her to save her name and would treat her like a daughter and given that their beliefs were closer to those of people 50 years ago in that respect, there was nothing specifically "gross" about the marriage.  What was gross was that he had sex with a 13 year old, not that her parents consented to the marriage.

I hear you, but despite the NotDuggars motivation, and that they believed this would have been a marriage in name only, the whole thing was still gross to me. Of course I am not fundie, but allowing my 13 year old daughter to marry anybody for any reason just makes me sick. it really brought home the warped nature of their beliefs, thinking that this was an actual solution to that horrible situation. Of course the sicko pastor's predatory actions were gross and reprehensible. But I see what you are saying, within the context of the show.

Archived