Lori, queen of the hypocrites, has included this gem in today's' post:

Never let your children say you were a hypocrite because you didn't practice what you preached for our actions speak much louder than our words. 

And what's with her comments about women who are "sensitive"? She's mentioned that in several posts and comments over the past few days. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13. joulukuuta 2015 at 3:41 PM, Koala said:

Also, Ken was NOT okay with us quoting statements Lori has made on her blog/in the comment section, equating it to looking through her diary and even impeding her free speech.  How is what Lori just did any different?

Wait, what? How exactly is reading someone's public blog similar to looking through her private diary?  

Her nod to Freejinger:

Also, there are websites dedicated to destroying godly books and blogs. They hate Christianity and what it stands for. I have been a recipient of this treatment and this is why I have to monitor every single comment I want on my blog. I only want comments that speak life and not death. They hate God so we shouldn't expect anything less

Because:

1) No true Scotsman could disagree with The Godly Mentor

2) Disagreeing with Lori= Hating God

17 minutes ago, Koala said:

Her nod to Freejinger:

Because:

1) No true Scotsman could disagree with The Godly Mentor

2) Disagreeing with Lori= Hating God

So God must be a self hater, from  Lori's pronouncements which often have no Biblical basis, and even contradict some accepted Biblical interpretations. He must get very depressed........

13 hours ago, molecule said:
13 hours ago, molecule said:

Sorry. I've been there, too. Every time she talks about buying organic food or how if you just want it enough you can make it on one salary, I am reminded just how out of touch with reality she is and how dangerous her "teaching" is.

Sorry. I've been there, too. Every time she talks about buying organic food or how if you just want it enough you can make it on one salary, I am reminded just how out of touch with reality she is and how dangerous her "teaching" is.

She is out of touch with reality. It drives me crazy that she can't see the different factors that go into families/couples living on one income. She doesn't consider family size, husband's salary, cost of living in certain areas, past or current debts, and other things. Her fangirls don't seem to consider those things either. They only look at their own lives and think that what they are doing can work for everyone.

18 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

I read that and couldn't quite believe that she'd written something so far out there. I'm not perhaps the best Christian out there, and I make tons of mistakes, but that she so blatantly espouses a works-salvation theology shocked me. Then I remembered that this is Lori and she has no compunctions about twisting the Bible to fit her own nasty view of the universe.

Lori espousing "works-salvation theology" is shocking to you?

Honestly, there are many things that I find shocking about Lori's blog.  Defending child molesters and making molestation sound like a normal rite of passage.  Hitting babies.  Turning a blind eye to blatant abusive behavior described in the comments and advising people to hit harder.  Telling a woman whose husband threatens to seriously hurt their children to put up with it and just pray.  Force-feeding babies or depriving a hungry child of food.  Leave babies as young as 3 weeks to cry themselves to sleep for the night.  Advocating a book which has been associated with child abuse deaths, even for older adopted children.

Works-salvation theology really doesn't make the list.

RE: Lori's wife swap. Put her in a household that is barely scraping by, with 10 kids under 11, no dishwasher, homeschooling to do. and a budget from a low income single earner who has zero respect for her and whose Biblical stance is in line with what she preaches.

No nannie, no sitter, no organic, no yuppie church.... You know, the situation she would view as an exception if someone came on her blog and asked for advice on how to deal and she'd tell them to shut up and deal.   

And I'm thinking a week isn't enough... 6 months?  Her next life?  

19 minutes ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

Honestly, there are many things that I find shocking about Lori's blog.  Defending child molesters and making molestation sound like a normal rite of passage.  Hitting babies.  Turning a blind eye to blatant abusive behavior described in the comments and advising people to hit harder.  Telling a woman whose husband threatens to seriously hurt their children to put up with it and just pray.  Force-feeding babies or depriving a hungry child of food.  Leave babies as young as 3 weeks to cry themselves to sleep for the night.  Advocating a book which has been associated with child abuse deaths, even for older adopted children.

I agree. Works-salvation is a nasty view of the universe?

I think encouraging women to stand back and be silent when their husbands are abusing their kids is far nastier. I hate the way she re-frames child abuse into "husband disciplining son so he'll be a real man" and "mom is too sensitive and wants to interfere." You better believe I'd interfere--and quick--if I had a son and someone was "teaching him to be a man" through violence.

But earning salvation through good works? What's nasty about that?

Interesting points she makes today. Apparently, most women who work do so because they want to be away from their kids. Yes, most working moms are upper-middle class ladies working to earn baubles. That's because women who really want to stay at home generally can afford to do so. It's true, because this suburban lady who spends her day watching TV says it's true.

Smoke is coming out of my ears right now. During the Depression, my mom was a child, and once lost the dollar she was given to take grocery shopping. It was a disaster, and the whole neighborhood turned out to help her look for it. I don't remember whether it was ever found.

My college-educated grandfather lost every dime in the Depression, and had what I believe was a nervous breakdown. My grandmother did piecework at the kitchen table to keep the family fed.  Grandpa cried when their youngest child was born because he didn't know how they'd be able to make ends meet. When the parish priest disagreed with him about contraception ("God will provide"), Grandpa stopped going to church.

When the economy recovered and my grandparents became well-to-do, they were amazingly generous to their kids and grandkids.

Lori is in her late 50s, I believe. Did she ever sit down and talk to anyone who lived through the Depression? I did.

i suggest Russell Baker's amazing memoir "Growing Up" for a clear and heartbreaking picture of the life of a young widow who had to let relatives adopt her baby, and the man who loved her but abandoned her out of shame because he couldn't find work to support her and her children.

Lori is a monster. Why do I read this thread?

Lori:

God ALL things are possible and He absolutely wants mothers home with their children.

Hmm if He REALLY wanted all mothers (I assume she means CHRISTIAN mothers) wouldn't He have stopped inflation in order to make things affordable on a middleclass income? Hmmm Or is that He gave us free will and sometimes by our own doing, sometimes by others, some of us are poor, some middle class and some rich and thus those of us what want to feed and cloth our children have 2-income families.

I only know of one friend that has a true stay-at-home mom and all the kids are in public school. The mom's I know go back to work after the youngest is in school, or shortly there after. Some moms "only" work part-time but they have money coming into the household.

The 4 homeschooling friends I have (all over the US), one mom helps run the family business (5 kids). Another is photographer (3 kids), another was a realtor (1 kid & not sure if she still is a realtor) and the 4th (2 kids) isn't on f/b much so not sure if she is "only" a stay-at-home mom or if she is still homeschooling. If you noticed, they all have limited their family size....

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

I agree. Works-salvation is a nasty view of the universe?

But earning salvation through good works? What's nasty about that?

Lori's view of good works for Christian wives = total submission to husband, physical discipline of children, isolation of self & children from outside world, sparkling clean house, fake joy, and no job, or else you risk losing salvation. Lost salvation means you go to hell.

Yes, threatening women with "you do as I say or you're going to burn in hell" is pretty nasty,

Seeking salvation through works is just legalism.

Lori's to-do list for Christian wives not only is a skewed interpretation of the bible, it also neglects what the bible says about individual gifts of the spirit and it ignores the possibility of God speaking to individual women through prayer. She diminishes the power of God to change lives. She places so much of the credit and blame for kids' success on moms' shoulders that it seems she's trying to get in there and take all the credit away from God.

She places so much emphasis on following the rules (as she sees them) that she seems to completely miss what the bible says about having a relationship with God. I don't think I've ever seen her talk about joy, her own Christian walk, or any of the things that the bible says a Christian should be doing. To her, following the wife rules is more important than having a relationship with Jesus.

Ugh. I don't know why I let her get to me so much. :(

I have not been a practising Christian for over 45 years. But what I do remember from my RC upbringing and education was that the relationship with God was a joyful one, and all should rejoice in his name. I also remember that we were taught that love thy neighbour as thyself meant to help in any way possible a neighbour who had problems - whether that neighbour lived in your street or in Africa - we were all neighbours on earth. I suppose that means I was raised in a works based theology - something I had never heard of until recently. I just assumed that a Christian helped others as much as they were able. I am obviously very theologically ignorant.

It seems to me so many of the fundies we follow seek salvation through works, although they would deny it if someone accused them of it.

They would tell you asking Jesus into their lives is what saves them.  But, then they add all these rules.  You can't be a real Christian if you do a,b and c.  Can't be a real Christian if you don't do a,b and c.

8 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I have not been a practising Christian for over 45 years. But what I do remember from my RC upbringing and education was that the relationship with God was a joyful one, and all should rejoice in his name. I also remember that we were taught that love thy neighbour as thyself meant to help in any way possible a neighbour who had problems - whether that neighbour lived in your street or in Africa - we were all neighbours on earth. I suppose that means I was raised in a works based theology - something I had never heard of until recently. I just assumed that a Christian helped others as much as they were able. I am obviously very theologically ignorant.

I have been taught the same thing. I am a practicing Catholic what people don't understand is that the teaching is based on belief that Jesus is the savior and follow what Jesus said in Matthew 25:31-46 (The Judgment of the Nations) Specifically:

41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

What Lori, Duggars, etc don't understand about Catholics is that we believe you can't have salvation and not help your neighbors. (Giving out worthless tracts or crappy advice on a blog is not help.) If you don't help your neighbors you are only doing part of what Jesus said to enter the gates of heaven. And if they read the Bible a little more closely, Jesus was very service based in his lifetime.

I believe Matthew 25:31-46 passage is where many of the nuns and service based Catholic organizations get their mission statement from. Even though many don't agree with the RC on many things (abortion, contraception, etc) the RC charities in my area do help take care of the babies after they are born, they do help with parenting classes, they do outfit apartments for struggling families or single parents, they even have some apartments as a "step-up" (step out of homelessness), they do have runaway help and go into the prisons. All of these ministries focus is not to convert people to Catholicism. The focus is the person and ministering to the person's needs.  This is what these fundies will never get (if they keep their blinders on).

The bible says that faith without works is dead--but the idea is that the works are supposed to be a natural by-product of faith and a response to God's grace. What Lori and other fundies do is focus on the works at the expense of faith.

That passage from Matthew 25 is my FAVORITE...and it's what I endeavor to live by every day. I see that as the outward sign of my faith...as a Christian, I am to "love one another as I have loved you"...that love includes feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, curing the sick, visiting the prisoner. I see it as being the hands, feet, eyes, ears and mouth of the one I claim to follow in this world. I don't do the rules thing though...I see my faith as something very personal. There's a quote attributed to St. Francis of Assisi that is essentially my life statement..."Preach the gospel at all times, use words if necessary".

@quiversR4hunting

Don't know why the notify isn't working.

Thank you for confirming that I was remembering correctly - I couldn't have cited the NT verse that mandates helping the disadvantaged. I respect so much that the RC church does, especially through Caritas - which I have encountered in Asia, and not found to be overpoweringly proselytizing. But where I split from them is, of course, contraception and abortion. If only John XXIII had lived a little longer, I think we would have had a different doctrine on contraception. And also of course, the irony today is that most western RCs make it a matter of personal conscience whether to use contraception.

I also find it interesting that for centuries the church accepted the use of abortifacients before the foetus 'quickened'  - that is, until  movement could be felt in the womb.  It was the mid 19th century before such use was deemed sinful. Not exactly a long historical justification - in fact, it is from the same era as the development of the Doctrine of Papal Infallibility.

Some  of the reasons I am no longer a practicing RC. I, to some degree, like the ideals, hate the Church, its hierarchy, and its undeniable corruption.

(Present Pope seems to be a good guy - hope he lasts!)

29 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Thank you for confirming that I was remembering correctly - I couldn't have cited the NT verse that mandates helping the disadvantaged.

biblegateway.com is my friend. I have never memorized bible book, verse and line. I don't think God wants us to be parrots, I think he wants us to get what he is saying and live it.

From the writings of FJ members (the ones that that don't identify as Christian and the ones that do), they all live a more Christian life than the fundies we snark on here.

I wonder about what she would say to my former coworker who just tragically lost her husband to a very short battle with lung cancer. The kicker is ( for Lori) is this woman is IFB, skirts only, has four children, thinks women should stay home ideally but teaches music at our DOD school. So should she just quit work, collect ss benefits for her children and not provide for her family?  Life happens Lori and sometimes it is brutally unfair. 

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

That passage from Matthew 25 is my FAVORITE...and it's what I endeavor to live by every day. I see that as the outward sign of my faith...as a Christian, I am to "love one another as I have loved you"...that love includes feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, curing the sick, visiting the prisoner. I see it as being the hands, feet, eyes, ears and mouth of the one I claim to follow in this world. I don't do the rules thing though...I see my faith as something very personal. There's a quote attributed to St. Francis of Assisi that is essentially my life statement..."Preach the gospel at all times, use words if necessary".

I had a poster with that quote on it in my classroom when I taught at crazy Christian school. The admins kept trying to make me take it down. They found it to be a bad message. 

6 hours ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

It's not a zero-sum game. I can find it shocking she's espousing works-salvation theology, *and* find those other things awful and horrible too. I thought it went without saying.

2 hours ago, teachergirl said:

I wonder about what she would say to my former coworker who just tragically lost her husband to a very short battle with lung cancer. The kicker is ( for Lori) is this woman is IFB, skirts only, has four children, thinks women should stay home ideally but teaches music at our DOD school. So should she just quit work, collect ss benefits for her children and not provide for her family?  Life happens Lori and sometimes it is brutally unfair. 

According to Lori, the church should fully support her family until she is remarried as God The Godly Mentor commands her to.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

I had a poster with that quote on it in my classroom when I taught at crazy Christian school. The admins kept trying to make me take it down. They found it to be a bad message. 

Wow. Just wow.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived