We had one who was "not long for this world"....for about 30 years.  

Mr. No's maternal grandmother was convinced she was going to die at anytime since she was around 30.  When it finally happened she was 80.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. No's maternal grandmother was convinced she was going to die at anytime since she was around 30.  When it finally happened she was 80.

Our's made it to 94.  She was something else.  She kept a list of people she wanted to gossip about in her Bible.  When you visited her and she broke out the Bible, you knew you were about to get an ear full about someone.  Even after she died we found letters detailing how she had been done wrong.  She wanted people to know!

Our's made it to 94.  She was something else.  She kept a list of people she wanted to gossip about in her Bible.  When you visited her and she broke out the Bible, you knew you were about to get an ear full about someone.  Even after she died we found letters detailing how she had been done wrong.  She wanted people to know!

Oh wow, she sounds like a character, lol. 

My MIL became agoraphobic after she retired. The last few years of her life she only went outside to go on doctor visits with my FIL. She wouldn't even go out to get the mail, pick up the newspaper or take out the trash. My FIL did all the shopping and errands. Frequently when we stayed with them she would lock the door behind us if we ran out to our car for a moment to fetch something. She lived in a quiet upper middle-class neighborhood in a small city with practically no crime and before retirement was a successful business owner.

When my MIL received invitations to parties etc. she would say she'd go but the night before invariably she would develop a back ache or severe diarrhea and would suddenly not be able to attend after all. I believe the anxiety she felt over thinking of leaving the house would manifest in real physical symptoms. Perhaps agoraphobia is what is happening to Lori and explains her "women don't have to leave the house" and "I was too sick to attend" posts. 

I honestly believe she just likes being the center of attention.  

Her post today is yet another study in contradictions.  She is blathering on about the dangers of internet/social media addiction, while....SITTING ON NET!  She is all over her blog (she literally posts 365 days a year), other blogs, Facebook, her chat room.  She has 3 Facebook accounts that we are aware of.  To say nothing of Instagram and Twiiter. Her entire ministry of bossing other women around relies on the Internet. Good grief... 

I honestly believe she just likes being the center of attention.  

Her post today is yet another study in contradictions.  She is blathering on about the dangers of internet/social media addiction, while....SITTING ON NET!  She is all over her blog (she literally posts 365 days a year), other blogs, Facebook, her chat room.  She has 3 Facebook accounts that we are aware of.  To say nothing of Instagram and Twiiter. Her entire ministry of bossing other women around relies on the Internet. Good grief... 

Wait, what? I know about her personal Lori Alexander account (because I blocked her lol) and the Always Learning FB page. What else is there?

Wait, what? I know about her personal Lori Alexander account (because I blocked her lol) and the Always Learning FB page. What else is there?

I was talking about the chat room.  Although I am in favor of her having a THE Godly Mentor Fb page. :pb_lol:

On another note, she did acknowledge deleting Andrea's post:

Unfortunately, I had to delete Andrea's post for reasons I can't give but I know it did hit a chord with many women.

I am thinking that reason is TerryBreathingGrace calling Andrea on her shit.

Unfortunately, I had to delete Andrea's post for reasons I can't give but I know it did hit a chord with many women.

So, Lori will talk about "counseling sessions."  She will quote those who disagree with her just so she can attack them, while calling her minions in to do the same. But she cannot give reasons for deleting a post that most likely received more comments than any other post she's written?? She's taking the coward's way out. When you publish a blog daily, knowing most of the posts will lead to some sort of controversy, you have to be able to stand up for that post. The same should be expected of her guest writers. I'm looking at you, Andrea.  We've always known Lori can't stand behind her words, but she usually calls Ken in to take care of her when she gets stuck.  I think deleting it must have been Andrea's idea. Looks like someone is not as secure in her way of thinking and lifestyle as she'd like us to believe.  IF Andrea posts again, I hope the comment count stays at zero.  I hope the readers realize they've come across a "writer" that can't stand behind her words. 

I know this isn't the point, but she had a post where cabinetman and Ken went around the merry go round for like 200+ comments. It was the one where cabinetman made the super creepy comments to Courtney.

I think Ken and Cabinetman must have really frightened poor Courtney.  She stopped commenting on Lori's blog and deleted her own.  It still stuns me how absolutely brazen Ken was with her, and Lori seemed to take his creepy behavior out on her.

So, Lori will talk about "counseling sessions."  She will quote those who disagree with her just so she can attack them, while calling her minions in to do the same. But she cannot give reasons for deleting a post that most likely received more comments than any other post she's written?? She's taking the coward's way out. When you publish a blog daily, knowing most of the posts will lead to some sort of controversy, you have to be able to stand up for that post. The same should be expected of her guest writers. I'm looking at you, Andrea.  We've always known Lori can't stand behind her words, but she usually calls Ken in to take care of her when she gets stuck.  I think deleting it must have been Andrea's idea. Looks like someone is not as secure in her way of thinking and lifestyle as she'd like us to believe.  IF Andrea posts again, I hope the comment count stays at zero.  I hope the readers realize they've come across a "writer" that can't stand behind her words. 

Agree that it was probably Andrea's idea. Lori will likely come out with her own isolation post (starring Lori in the role of godly martyr).

I know this isn't the point, but she had a post where cabinetman and Ken went around the merry go round for like 200+ comments. It was the one where cabinetman made the super creepy comments to Courtney.

Well I guess that tells us that Cabinet Man needs to return. Dare we hope?  

Edited to add: when I snarkily call for Caninet Man's return, it is for comment count - certainly not so he and Ken can harass young women. I agree that Ken probably scared Courtney quite badly. I wonder if he tried to contact her privately. 

One of the aunts chiming in again today :pb_lol: :

Hi Lori, Aunt Roselyn here again. I enjoy reading your blog, but I have the same comment as last time. I wish you would clearly attribute your source. As I read this post, I wondered if you had written it, or maybe Ken, as he frequently contributes. At the end of the post, I saw (John Piper). Did he write the entire post or the last paragraph? I would like to know the source at the beginning of the post. Such as, "I enjoyed this writing by John Piper and I want a to share it with you." It is a matter of intellectual integrity. I hope you are feeling well. Hugs.

Can you imagine some of the conversations Aunt Genny and Aunt Roselyn have? :pb_lol: 

One of the aunts chiming in again today :pb_lol: :

Can you imagine some of the conversations Aunt Genny and Aunt Roselyn have? :pb_lol: 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there! Lori is definitely the source of gossip in their family, for sure. I wonder if Lori is so vitriolic because she knows this.

From Lori’s “Addiction to Entertainment is Destroying her Life” post on 11/12/15:

From my last point, start doing a craft or writing or find a hobby that is fulfilling yet detached from technology or reading {even though reading is good; it is somewhat impossible to involve others in it}; write stories, draw pictures, make wreaths, decorate, paint, explore outside, take walks, and involve your kiddos. They need to learn how to entertain themselves too!

Apparently former schoolmarm Lori has never heard of reading aloud to children or having children read to you. Yet writing, considered by almost everyone ever to be a solitary pursuit, is perfectly natural to involve others in.

Lori writes:

Read One Thousand Gifts. I haven't read all of it, and she does use flowery language and there have been some criticisms of her teachings, but just reading the first 70 pages or so has changed the way I think about life.

Guest comments:

I wouldn't have an Anne Voskamp book in my home, or recommend that any woman read any part of One Thousand Gifts. Here is a great summary from a pastor, on it's religious theism and why we should stay far away: http://www.bygracealone.net/2011/05/romantic-pane...

As far as addiction to entertainment? Not surprised, and I don't have a lot of sympathy. I am so tired of seeing women on the phone ignoring their children. Put the phone down, and live a real life in a real world with real sin, and be a light instead of living like everyone else.

Lori replies:

The best thing is to meditate upon the Psalms and the rest of God's Word. Philippians is a great book to commit to memory. "Let the Word of God dwell in you richly!"

Did she even read the comment or follow the link?!? I guess when you like to be the writer but never the reader that’s the result. Just like being the talker but never the listener. Another reason why she is a shitty mentor.

I don't know what I found about today's post more ridiculous; that Lori seems to ignore that you really don't *need* a man for those things (a long-term partner of any gender can do them)...

Or this statement: "sat with me in the ICU and made sure they weren't giving me antibiotics, shots to prevent clotting and other things I didn't need."

What.

The.

Heck.

Please tell me she doesn't think clotting prevention medication is optional and instead favors oils. Please, Lori. Say it isn't so.

If you are at the point of being in the ICU, perhaps it's time to actually LISTEN to your medical professionals.

Anti-coagulants are not given for no reason, ffs.   I'm at a high risk for blood clots currently because I can't move around as much right now.  When I was in the ICU/hospital/SNF I was on heprin (I also have an IVC filter).   I'd rather not die from something easily preventable like a fucking blood clot!

If you are at the point of being in the ICU, perhaps it's time to actually LISTEN to your medical professionals.

Anti-coagulants are not given for no reason, ffs.   I'm at a high risk for blood clots currently because I can't move around as much right now.  When I was in the ICU/hospital/SNF I was on heprin (I also have an IVC filter).   I'd rather not die from something easily preventable like a fucking blood clot!

What if she has a stroke or heart attack one day (which I sincerely hope never happens to her or anyone but if you have blood vessels in your body there's always a tiny possibility)? Those anticoagulants might just save her life.

I swear, this woman comes up with the dumbest stuff.  Her blog title (among other things) is a huge joke.

The virtues of the words of Jesus as given by Sarah Young in her long time best seller Calling Jesus seems to also help many believers create an emotional bond to Jesus. 

Ken, it is quite rude to cite an author's work and get the name of her book wrong.  It is Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

http://www.christianbook.com/page/devotionals/jesus-calling?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=everything+else&utm_term=jesus%20calling%20sarah%20young&event=PPCSRC&p=1020037

What if she has a stroke or heart attack one day (which I sincerely hope never happens to her or anyone but if you have blood vessels in your body there's always a tiny possibility)? Those anticoagulants might just save her life.

I swear, this woman comes up with the dumbest stuff.  Her blog title (among other things) is a huge joke.

I don't understand this particular point of contention with her AT ALL.   I don't really know the specifics of brain tumors, but I would think that anytime you have an anomaly in your brain you'd be at a higher risk for something like a stroke because tumors feed off blood rich areas and I would think your brain would qualify there.     

If I had a brain condition and they were recommending anti-coagulants, I would absolutely err on the side of caution and take them.   As mentioned, since I'm at a high risk for blood clots, I never refuse anti-coagulants (I have been known to refuse some types of things, but nothing that is potentially life saving).

I'm pretty certain if I did try to refuse something like heprin that my husband would gently try and talk me into it, not make sure I didn't get it, but then he stays on top of any conditions that I have or may develop while I'm not in condition to make my own decisions by doing his own research on the subject so he can make good/appropriate decisions for me.

During my hospitalization I had memory problems and some periods of hallucinations.  He had to make decisions for me during that time because I wasn't able to.  He didn't go along with me making decisions based on the TV talking to me, thankfully!

From Lori’s “Addiction to Entertainment is Destroying her Life” post on 11/12/15:

Apparently former schoolmarm Lori has never heard of reading aloud to children or having children read to you. Yet writing, considered by almost everyone ever to be a solitary pursuit, is perfectly natural to involve others in.

Lori writes:

Guest comments:

Lori replies:

Did she even read the comment or follow the link?!? I guess when you like to be the writer but never the reader that’s the result. Just like being the talker but never the listener. Another reason why she is a shitty mentor.

On the topic of Lori and reading, she could always start a book club to celebrate the Pearls or fundie authors. She could run online book club on her chat group.

Re: the awful child abuse that we can read about in Pearl's book, Lori's blog and replies from commenters,

Isn't there a chance they could be investigated by the police, based on their writings? I just find it absolutely ABSURD for example that "To train a child" is even out there for people to read! How is it possible these people are not behind bars.

I don't understand this particular point of contention with her AT ALL.   I don't really know the specifics of brain tumors, but I would think that anytime you have an anomaly in your brain you'd be at a higher risk for something like a stroke because tumors feed off blood rich areas and I would think your brain would qualify there.     

If I had a brain condition and they were recommending anti-coagulants, I would absolutely err on the side of caution and take them.   As mentioned, since I'm at a high risk for blood clots, I never refuse anti-coagulants (I have been known to refuse some types of things, but nothing that is potentially life saving).

I'm pretty certain if I did try to refuse something like heprin that my husband would gently try and talk me into it, not make sure I didn't get it, but then he stays on top of any conditions that I have or may develop while I'm not in condition to make my own decisions by doing his own research on the subject so he can make good/appropriate decisions for me.

During my hospitalization I had memory problems and some periods of hallucinations.  He had to make decisions for me during that time because I wasn't able to.  He didn't go along with me making decisions based on the TV talking to me, thankfully!

Well, luckily your headship could make those decisions for you (as he always should), but where did he do his research?  Did he consult with the Bible?  I'm not sure if I recall the Bible mentioning heparin, so... Honestly, Curious, it just might be unbiblical.  Maybe Ken will drop by to tell us what we should think.  

Apologies, sarcasm is one of my favorite modes when dealing with these loonies.  Seriously, Lorken, why would he need to refuse potentially life-saving drugs?  It's one thing to be aware of your personal condition and to advocate for what seems best for you, but since when have anticoagulants been an enemy?  

I would love to hear her aunts discuss her.  Perhaps that's why she can host the hours-long BBQ, but be perpetually on the brink of being unable/far too sick to go out to attend any family functions. 

Today's article makes it sound an awful lot like Lori's pissy that she was left out of some blogging conference.  

She wasn't invited, therefore, they're CLEARLY not godly mentors.  Ken even chimes in with their "real concern"

We do think it a bit disconcerting when a women blogger/writer has more than a full time job and travels a lot when she has children at home who need her. To gain the world but lose your children would be a terrible thing and perhaps proof that what one was sure was their calling was not supposed to be carried out in this way.

We do think it a bit disconcerting when a women blogger/writer has more than a full time job and travels a lot when she has children at home who need her. To gain the world but lose your children would be a terrible thing and perhaps proof that what one was sure was their calling was not supposed to be carried out in this way.

*Sigh* I am getting weary of their faux concern for "children who need their mother," when Lori had a nanny who held her crying babies with whom their own mother could not be bothered.  Lori sent her children to their rooms for a minimum of two hours a day because she needed time alone.  Lori let her newborns cry it out because she needed sleep.  Lori skimped on their homeschooling because she could not be bothered to put in the effort to properly educate her own children.  Lori beat her child with a leather strap over some raisins.....sorry....RAISANS. Lori's daughters had severe body image issues because they were told they were fat.  Lori clearly passed on her despicable parenting to her one child that has had children of his own.  AND while she was ill and/or neglecting her children, their father could not be bothered to give up his basketball games to spend time with them. 

I wonder how the Alexander kids feel when they read their parents' advice on child rearing. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived