IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

Much of the problem is that a woman's value in Mormonism is based on her fertility. Even in mainstream LDS theology, it is taught that there will be polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom, and righteous women will become "Heavenly Mothers" who give birth 24/7 to spirit children who will inhabit their husband's planet. Why exactly this is something a woman would aspire to is a mystery to me, but it's really important to a lot of Mormon women. Only having one child probably has theological implications for Meri, especially when the other wives all have five or six kids. Being the legal wife and the first wife was the only thing Meri had to distinguish herself from the more fertile junior wives, and now she doesn't even have that.

I love my kids. I absolutely adore them with a love that is both all-encompassing and fiercely scary.

But I swear to god, I cannot even conceive of a planet peopled with a bunch of tiny Polecats and Mr. Polecats. *shudder*

Good thing I'm not particularly righteous. Or polygamous.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah its' selfish of Meri to demand equal portions. But one of the problems of polygamy is that all wives are not created equal. Creates all sorts of problems with the wives getting along. Resources not being distributed equally, so one wife feels like her kids aren't getting enough in comparison to another. They chose this system to live in. And in the Sisterwives universe everyone gets the same; fairness abounds. That way no one wife can say she isn't being treated fairly and equally. Meri was Wife#1. Why should she sacrifice so that others can get more? In this culture she is supposed to get an equal share; hell, as Wife#1 she is supposed to get more. But since they are trying to show that polygamy is all sunshine and daisies, they put an egalitarian spin on it. Either way, it doesn't work. If she gets less, she has made a sacrifice (for people she isn't really all that fond of) that affects her daughter (we have less because Janelle has more kids). If she keeps her share she is selfish. Maybe the real lesson is that polygamy cannot work with this group because of a lack of money to support ALL wives and kids in a decent manner. And of course the emotional immaturity doesn't help.

If all four wives and the kids are all one united family, how can you justify one kid getting plenty of food clothing, toiletries and whatnot and the rest scraping by? (I mention the toiletries because I have 3 daughters and when they get special hair care products, or lotions they get excited about it)would you let one of your children have less and possibly go without while another has more than enough? Is Christine's contribution to the family by taking care of the children so others can work,or take classes ect., not of value because she does not earn money? Did Janelle keep the money she earned and provide for her kids, or did it provide for everyone.

If all four wives and the kids are all one united family, how can you justify one kid getting plenty of food clothing, toiletries and whatnot and the rest scraping by? (I mention the toiletries because I have 3 daughters and when they get special hair care products, or lotions they get excited about it)would you let one of your children have less and possibly go without while another has more than enough? Is Christine's contribution to the family by taking care of the children so others can work,or take classes ect., not of value because she does not earn money? Did Janelle keep the money she earned and provide for her kids, or did it provide for everyone.

That's an interesting perspective, though it definitely puts implications on Meri's selfishness.

On the one hand, if they were all one big happy family, she would do with less (organic food, wet bar, 5 bedrooms) so that the other children that she calls "hers" would have more.

On the other hand, if holding out and getting that "one little thing" is her way of replacing a hole, or she feels it's Kody's demonstration of still finding her worthy, she probably wouldn't give that up.

Also, TLC just shared this on their page:

Fall in love with Kody and Robyn from the beginning! Watch their courting days to their most recent pregnancy news!! >> [link]

...to which the nearly universal response has been, NO! The Robyn hate is going strong.

Also, TLC just shared this on their page:

...to which the nearly universal response has been, NO! The Robyn hate is going strong.

I saw this on Facebook and laughed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah...does anyone even like Robyn at all? I'm sure even 'fans' of the show don't like her.

As far as family money...I thought I remembered them saying they all had separate accounts and then one joint account. But I could be wrong.

Yeah...does anyone even like Robyn at all? I'm sure even 'fans' of the show don't like her.

As far as family money...I thought I remembered them saying they all had separate accounts and then one joint account. But I could be wrong.

I remember that also. Each wife has a household acct and then they all have a joint family acct.

I like Robyn. I don't think it's her fault if Kody prefers her to the others. I haven't seen the last season, so if something has changed I don't know. It seemed like Meri finally had a sister wife she actually liked. That's fucked up in other ways, but I don't necessarily blame them for the feeling.

I think Meri had a sister wife she liked...up until Robyn forced her out of things. Meri strikes me as someone whose affection is very conditional, and that's what I think Janelle and Christine ran into.

I think Meri had a sister wife she liked...up until Robyn forced her out of things. Meri strikes me as someone whose affection is very conditional, and that's what I think Janelle and Christine ran into.

I agree and think Robyn is the same way. Meri and Robyn are similiar, that's why they've been the closest. I think Janelle and Christine are close as well. They have being unliked by Kody to bond over. :(

Janelle and Kody seem like co-workers to me.

I think Robyn is possibly the most immature and whiny of the bunch so she's probably my least 'favorite.'

The whole set up is just all kinds of trouble.

I was shocked but I know one person who likes Robyn! I have met Robyn and like most posters did not care for her (especially her treatment of David Jr/Dayton and stories from her high school classmates). I always make sure to keep my opinions to myself as I live in Utah and everyone is connected it seems. My daughter had a friend over and the mom and I were talking and she was Robyn's neighbor and raved about how nice Robyn was. How Robyn was always cooking and offering to help. This was after her divorce. I still can't shake my feelings for her but she does have a few real fans.

As for the special TLC needs to fill in the 30-50 hours a week the Duggars used to occupy. They are having a Jeremy Roloff special from birth to wedding recap marathon tonight. I guess TLC must be working hard to get Leah Remini and that new tallest women show on the air.

I saw this on Facebook and laughed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, I saw this too and when I went through it I only saw one positive comment towards Robyn. I wonder if she ever feels scared going out into public alone? The hate is that bad. I am sure Robyn does have her own fans, but her TLC edit has made her appear very cunning and unlikable, almost like a sociopath. Her attempts at becoming more likable haven't helped her image either, creating your own fan page where you hardly ever respond and your best friend causes problems/spreads rumors isn't a smooth move.

As for finances, didn't Janelle make a point of saying that she now has her own bank account? I get the feeling she isn't going to be the cash cow for the family any longer, especially with so many of her kids heading into college.

Meri is clearly disappointed that she didn't have more children. Infertility is a deeply personal difficulty. She is incredibly sensitive about it. Because of that, every time the "I have more kids to take care of" argument comes up she feels like she's being punished for something she's already in pain over. I think she also feels really torn over being so sad about her infertility, but also feeling like she's done chasing the dream of more children for herself. I'm not saying that the others don't have a point, although the whole "mother-in-law quarters" in someone else's house was pretty fucked up imo. I just get where she's coming from.

Former infertile here, I have my two kids from IVF and I know that I am done having kids. I don't want the expense of more IVF, the heart ache of it maybe not working the first time like it did before, or the possibility of more premature babies. BUT I still feel hurt, sad and selfishly disappointed when a friend is pregnant. I wish I had it that easy, to want more kids, have some sex, get pregnant and carry to term. I went through shit every step of the way to my kids and most people don't at any step! So I get how it could be horrible to have infertility, not want more kids really, but be pissy about everyone around you constantly procreating easily.

I never had real infertility issues (I was underweight the first time so it took a while), but six months of trying and failing made me insecure enough to know that there are no bounds to the emotional baggage that must come with true fertility issues. My heart goes out to anyone with that struggle.

Lol, I saw this too and when I went through it I only saw one positive comment towards Robyn. I wonder if she ever feels scared going out into public alone? The hate is that bad. I am sure Robyn does have her own fans, but her TLC edit has made her appear very cunning and unlikable, almost like a sociopath. Her attempts at becoming more likable haven't helped her image either, creating your own fan page where you hardly ever respond and your best friend causes problems/spreads rumors isn't a smooth move.

As for finances, didn't Janelle make a point of saying that she now has her own bank account? I get the feeling she isn't going to be the cash cow for the family any longer, especially with so many of her kids heading into college.

I think from her page she has a few...very few.

Here's my question: how are these people going to retire? A couple retiring on a single income savings is tight...but 5 people retiring on a single income??

Here's my question: how are these people going to retire? A couple retiring on a single income savings is tight...but 5 people retiring on a single income??

That's why they have all the kids- so the kids can support them in their old age. :roll:

That's why they have all the kids- so the kids can support them in their old age. :roll:

Well, they certainly won't retire based on sales from MSWC! :lol:

• 2 months later...
Okay, so we don't snark on them for polygamy itself, just the dynamics between these reality TV "characters". I'm down with that.lol My husband and I were commenting on how many men might idealize having more than one wife, but how Kody always seems so frazzled and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. 4 girlfriends would be one thing, but 4 wives is quite another.

So, I live in Utah, and polygamy actually comes up in conversations often. I have *never* had a man say he wanted more than one wife. Everyone always says that'd be too much work. However, WOMEN often say, "I could use a sister wife to help with kids." or "If we had a sister-wife, she could get another job and we could make more money!" or "I could really use a sister wife to ___ (fill in blank)." It's part of Utah's history. That's what made the population boom here between 1850 and 1900.

I do think that kind of complicated life would frazzle ANYONE. Can you imagine rotating the bed you slept in every night? I love to climb in to my own bed... Kody doesn't have his own bed, or his own space. He's constantly expected to be on someone else's schedule. I think it would be like living your life in a hotel with someone always telling you what they expect you to do. That kind of life does not sound at all appealing. AND, he's always gotta want to be "mr. sexypants" because, hey, it's only once a week for some of them. Still confused as to why he married Robyn. Oh, except that I'm NOT. I also agree he likes her best.

Has anyone heard anything more about Meri and another man? I wish she could find happiness. But, what would she do with the house, etc.? I think she's there until the show is done. I really do.

That's why I had kids. :lol:

I can't imagine sending all those kids to college, and they plan on it. All of them should have some form of education or certification. One of the things they believe in is education. In Utah, we have 14 good colleges/universities, and then several really good technical training schools (plus tons of beauty/cosmetology schools, massage therapy, etc.) It's a belief that people should be able to be self-sustaining and industrious. I see this same focus on a good education on their show.

As to retirement: Holy cow. Perhaps each of the women can move in with a child. :shock:

Or... someone will die and she/he is heavily insured. Or, like most Americans, they don't have good retirement. They plan to live on social security. HAHAHA.

Unfortunately, my own retirement resembles some of that list. Good thing I'm still young.

I've got a bucket of info on meri's Twitter guy. Give me a bit to get over this migraine and I'll get it for you.

Spoiler alert: he isn't real. Whodathunkit.

My friend is in a Facebook group to "talk about the show" that found out a ton of stuff about Samuel Cooper, Meri's "guy". Occasionally she'll send me over some stuff, so here's what I have.

Essentially, he's not real, and the company registered to him is fake. It appears his account is run by a woman who has set up multiple accounts that all "talk" to each other, under the guise of a bunch of coworkers. These people make "business deals" over Twitter. Uhhuh. Samuel Cooper tells his employees to "make the deal" and that he's "ready to talk" via his public Twitter. "He" also goes private and so forth as he feels like it or gets harassed, and promises to make massive donations that never materialize (yes, a group got fucked for counting on "his" "donation"). Fishiest part? This person has done it before, even going so far up as to rope in whoever runs Oprah's account.

Here is a site regarding the catfish. It's a one-page site that reveals everything.

nickoconner.wordpress.com

Here is a "road map" of how all the players are connected to each other, with a bunch of links. It's an online PDF, but it's safe- no download required.

attachment.fbsbx.com/file_download.php?id=465457200313822&eid=ASuJD1V6KaTLjWqGqabr0omgDuXLl1bd-8ZDBAndBy2G7qRfrNK-dKIp0QrBD1bljS8&inline=1&ext=1443107684&hash=ASs7cmGLIgX712R6

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived