IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

I feel sad and embarrassed for Meri. How humiliating for her -- she was certainly in a vulnerable position and although she seems to consider herself worldly-wise, I don't think she knew what she was potentially getting into with an internet relationship.

It would be awesome if she would call Nev and Max and just get this all out there on Catfish - godness knows this "Sam" character deserves a public and equally humiliating outing.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched for it here because I remember reading here, then spent 10 min wondering if I had lost my marbles.

I searched it, too. I started at the Sister Wives thread, then lost it, then came to the merged catfish/boyfriend. Also feeling bad for Meri. I have been catfished before when I was in high school, pre-Internet age, so it's been around. It TOTALLY bites.

I wonder how much Meri believes everything that happens to her is God's will. I wonder if she sees this as some kind of punishment for sinning by not having a good relationship with her husband or whatever.

Usually with fundies I can assume they're thinking this way for at least a little while, but with Meri I'm not so sure. I don't follow them that much so idk much about how she comes off online and how religious she seems to be still.

I wonder how much Meri believes everything that happens to her is God's will. I wonder if she sees this as some kind of punishment for sinning by not having a good relationship with her husband or whatever.

Usually with fundies I can assume they're thinking this way for at least a little while, but with Meri I'm not so sure. I don't follow them that much so idk much about how she comes off online and how religious she seems to be still.

I am not Meri, nor was I in a polygamous relationship or a member of her particular flavor of Mormonism, but I am Mormon living in Utah. I never, ever thought I got catfished because of God's will. I did feel damn stupid. :angry-banghead:

It's interesting to me how people's opinions of a belief color what they see in those who practice it. I have absolutely no issue with polygamy among consenting adults. These people are raising their kids well, with free will intact. They aren't trying to get other people to convert to their beliefs, that I know of. I also haven't heard of any crusading to take away anyone's equal rights. I have a very live and let live attitude towards them.

With that said, I don't see the crushing misery in Meri that others seem to (unhappiness at times, sure, but not overall misery). I don't see any preference for Robyn from Kody (I have long thought that the assumption that Kody is more attracted to Robyn is because she fits our idea of beauty more than the other three). I easily believe it was Meri's idea to get the divorce so that children she loves can be guaranteed protection. None of these women come off like they don't think they could leave if they wanted to. I just don't see it. IF (and I have serious doubts) any of what a proven scammer is saying is true, there are likely difficult days ahead for them. I don't think we'll ever know unless there is an unsealing (The difference between men and women is how the LDS church keeps it's doctrines without breaking the law). These are people who are very good at privacy while being out in the world. People they knew had no idea before the show.

I don't mean to sound like a leghumper. I have no desire to live like they do. I just don't see what is so intrinsically awful about any of them.

That was too many parentheses wasn't it... :?

It's interesting to me how people's opinions of a belief color what they see in those who practice it. I have absolutely no issue with polygamy among consenting adults. These people are raising their kids well, with free will intact. They aren't trying to get other people to convert to their beliefs, that I know of. I also haven't heard of any crusading to take away anyone's equal rights. I have a very live and let live attitude towards them.

With that said, I don't see the crushing misery in Meri that others seem to (unhappiness at times, sure, but not overall misery). I don't see any preference for Robyn from Kody (I have long thought that the assumption that Kody is more attracted to Robyn is because she fits our idea of beauty more than the other three). I easily believe it was Meri's idea to get the divorce so that children she loves can be guaranteed protection. None of these women come off like they don't think they could leave if they wanted to. I just don't see it. IF (and I have serious doubts) any of what a proven scammer is saying is true, there are likely difficult days ahead for them. I don't think we'll ever know unless there is an unsealing (The difference between men and women is how the LDS church keeps it's doctrines without breaking the law). These are people who are very good at privacy while being out in the world. People they knew had no idea before the show.

I don't mean to sound like a leghumper. I have no desire to live like they do. I just don't see what is so intrinsically awful about any of them.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically awful with them either, but you don't cheat on your husband because everything is hunky dory.

I can't say if he's more attractive to Robyn, but I def think he acts like he loves her more. It could just be that she's new so it's more exciting and that's what we're seeing. Also, there are a lot of different ways to love people so they're all bound to have different dynamics. However I still think Robyn and Kody act like newlyweds which does make it seem like he favors her.

Not that I can complain about him not liking Meri as much. She is so whiny! She drives me crazy with the "I should get just as much money as my sister wives because I shouldn't be punished for not having more kids!" nonsense. She is supposed to care about all those kids like they are her own, but she won't let her sister wives have more money because they need it more? That is such bull.

I think you hit it with there being different ways to love. I don't think Janelle, for instance, would appreciate a sappy, romantic gesture the way the others would. We honestly don't see a lot of Kody alone with the other wives. I don't think it's that he doesn't spend the time, the others wouldn't let that fly at ALL. It's being edited that way for some reason. Probably to fuel the jealousy conversation since it's more interesting than most other day to day life stuff.

I think you hit it with there being different ways to love. I don't think Janelle, for instance, would appreciate a sappy, romantic gesture the way the others would. We honestly don't see a lot of Kody alone with the other wives. I don't think it's that he doesn't spend the time, the others wouldn't let that fly at ALL. It's being edited that way for some reason. Probably to fuel the jealousy conversation since it's more interesting than most other day to day life stuff.

Yeah, editing is another thing. They need to imply drama to make the show interesting. But, I also think it's just common sense as the newlyweds their relationship might just "romantic" and lovey dovey. I think if they all stay together for 16 more years the dynamics will probably a bit more even.

Speaking of, that's one of the things that bothered me the most about him dating Robyn. It was just so weird to think about these 3 ladies and him have all been married for like 16 years or so. They must have felt so settled and like "this is it." Then suddenly he's getting a new wife and they have to change their whole family dynamic. That is what originally made my warning bells go off. It reeks more of "got bored with his other wives" to me then if he would have married Robyn around the same as the others.

As far as any of the cast being bad people, Kody has proven himself to be a right jerk to Christine. And they are in therapy. It's not working!

As far as any of the cast being bad people, Kody has proven himself to be a right jerk to Christine. AND they are in therapy! It's not working!

Poor Meri. She may have gotten the wet bar, but that's all she got. Things don't fill our hearts, people do.

Yes, it appears that they have all been in therapy with each other (in different combinations), all along. Perhaps if they need that much help it might indicate that their arrangement isn't, and apparently never has been, working.

(I try to refrain from making (negative) personal comments about people but I don't care for the way Kody walks! When he's striding around, hair a-flowing, it's a little icky to me. Nay, it's a lot icky. Anyone else?)

This is off topic but something we might hear about this season...someone said on the Sisterwives FB page, when is the show going to mention that the real issue between Janelle and Meri is that Janelle's first husband was Meri's brother. :whistle: There are some skeletons in the sister wive's closet...

As far as any of the cast being bad people, Kody has proven himself to be a right jerk to Christine. And they are in therapy. It's not working!

Sunday night's episode made me want to strangle him.

"You knew I had other wives when we got married." Every woman who has gotten involved with a married man since the beginning of ever has heard a variation of that comment as a way to shuck off any responsibility. Jerk. And "I'll love you as long as you love my family" (my paraphrase) made my jaw drop. I get what he was trying to say ... but what he actually said was brutal.

"You knew I had other wives when we got married." Every woman who has gotten involved with a married man since the beginning of ever has heard a variation of that comment as a way to shuck off any responsibility. Jerk. And "I'll love you as long as you love my family" (my paraphrase) made my jaw drop. I get what he was trying to say ... but what he actually said was brutal.

I agree with you on all points. All of his focus on the family really rubbed me the wrong way. He uses the wellbeing of the family as an excuse to get out of treating his wives with the respect and affection they so want and deserve. If they start feeling hurt by something he did, he just says he did it for the good of the family- implying that if they continue carrying-on that they're selfish and only thinking about themselves. Ugh! He's such a sleaze.

I agree with you on all points. All of his focus on the family really rubbed me the wrong way. He uses the wellbeing of the family as an excuse to get out of treating his wives with the respect and affection they so want and deserve. If they start feeling hurt by something he did, he just says he did it for the good of the family- implying that if they continue carrying-on that they're selfish and only thinking about themselves. Ugh! He's such a sleaze.

Yes! That is such a cold thing to say, and it shows he really doesn't love her. He is so mean to Christine and doesn't seem to take her seriously AT ALL.

in the main sister wives thread awhile back that I managed to lose, someone mentioned how great it would be if janelle and Christine could just leave Jody together. Cause janelle likes to works and Christine likes being a stay at home mom. I'd love that. And it would make a pretty good show for at least one season! Lol

It's like they are proving the polygamist haters right. That one man can't pay attention to and give enough emotionally to multiple wives. That women just become cogs in the machine labelled "the family" rather than special, important, individuals. Gross.

I have a completely different view. They are hiding their religion and religious doctrines just as much as the Duggars are. For their flavor of Mormon, to know but not follow The Principle is to condemn oneself to Outer Darkness for eternity and all time, or whatever late 1850's religious blather Smith came up with. They are as brainwashed as the Duggars and Gothardites, if not more so, because entire generations of their families have been entangled in polygamy. THAT'S how we get a squicky situation where Janelle was originally married to Meri's brother, but then later became Meri's sister-wife, instead of just sister-in-law.

We don't SEE them worry about leaving, because they've all condemned themselves to stay. Their religion is quite clear about apostasy. They clean up nicely for TV and can sound normal, but things don't stay that way. Remember how Kody's dad wound up married to Janelle's mom? It's quite common for kids raised in religious polygamy to say they'll never live it as adults, but then change their minds due to peer and religious pressure. If it were that easy to get out, we wouldn't see people as strangely interrelated as these folks all are.

Let's also remember that even if they're not affiliated with mainstream LDS, it's still quite likely that they hold oppressive views toward LBGT+. Their tithings (and they do have affiliation with SOME church out there) helped bring about DOMA in 2008 in California. That's not very "live and let live."

I do agree that Sobbyn gets more attention because she's new, shiny, and fits the "ideal woman" mold a bit better. She's also newer to that particular set of sister-wives infighting, and can be sure to look best when Kody has to referee disputes (like that stuff about the stupid MSWC nonsense).

Secular polyamory among consenting adults -- I do not care and have no fucks to give. Let adults do what they will, so long as everyone consents and no one is deliberately hurt. Brainwashing children in cults, convincing them their soul and its immortality are potentially in danger without following a strict and stringent set of rules -- that I don't like. At all.

There are tons of books by survivors of Mormon polygamy, women who escaped with severe psychological scars. I definitely recommend reading up on Mormon polygamy before giving the Browns the A-OK. They are very good at hiding in plain sight and keeping their worst views private. It's an extremely dangerous religion, imo.

And I do feel sorry for Meri. She was obviously very vulnerable, and now her worst moments are available up online. That has got to suck at least as much as the divorce.

Another thing that occurs to me while watching these shows about large families, and I"m sure it's been mentioned in these threads before, is that there's bound to be at least one kid in each family who's LGBTQ, and dealing with that when you're born into a religion like this is... Impossible? At least I feel that Kody's families are more likely to be accepting than, say, the Duggars, but I can't imagine being in that child's shoes.

It's like they are proving the polygamist haters right. That one man can't pay attention to and give enough emotionally to multiple wives. That women just become cogs in the machine labelled "the family" rather than special, important, individuals. Gross.

Yep, exactly. But you know if you confronted them with this point, they'd try to turn it around and say that their lifestyle promotes selflessness and teamwork. Yet, like jealousy, we know that many of these negative emotions are never properly dealt with and don't just go away. I think its commendable that they see a therapist but I have a feeling that they intentionally chose a therapist that won't give them the cold, hard truth- that polygamy (specially, polygyny) is a very difficult lifestyle which unfairly puts far more stress on the wives than the husband.

Another thing that occurs to me while watching these shows about large families, and I"m sure it's been mentioned in these threads before, is that there's bound to be at least one kid in each family who's LGBTQ, and dealing with that when you're born into a religion like this is... Impossible? At least I feel that Kody's families are more likely to be accepting than, say, the Duggars, but I can't imagine being in that child's shoes.

I think it was Janelle who actually did say that with so many kids in the family at least one of them will probably be LGBT. I don't think it's easy to be gay in any very religious family, but I don't think a Brown kid would have it any harder than your average kid from a conservative family, and it definitely wouldn't be nearly as bad as being a Duggar and LGBT.

I think it was Janelle who actually did say that with so many kids in the family at least one of them will probably be LGBT. I don't think it's easy to be gay in any very religious family, but I don't think a Brown kid would have it any harder than your average kid from a conservative family, and it definitely wouldn't be nearly as bad as being a Duggar and LGBT.

I know this is going a bit OT, but I feel really badly for whichever of the Duggar kids turns out to be gay or bi. :(

You know, I think somewhere in my myriad free time I'll create a list of times Kody's emphasized a relationship with a wife, and when he's emphasized it with the family, and see who gets shafted the most.

My money is that Meri and Robyn get relationship, and Janelle and Christine get family... :whistle:

You know, I think somewhere in my myriad free time I'll create a list of times Kody's emphasized a relationship with a wife, and when he's emphasized it with the family, and see who gets shafted the most.

My money is that Meri and Robyn get relationship, and Janelle and Christine get family... :whistle:

Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Here's an All About the Tea article about the sex tape that may or may not be. I know nothing about AATT so I don't know if it is legit or not, but it does have imagery of "Sam"'s claims.

Trigger warning, because some FB posters are a little bit specific.

allaboutthetea.com/2015/10/01/sisterwives-catfish-lover-claims-to-have-made-a-sex-tape-with-meri-brown/

What is with this All About the Tea website and why are they reporting on this story so diligently? It seems like no other site is bothering with the story besides them.

I am still confused about Kendra. Is she a friend? I'm gathering she isn't anymore! It seems like she may be in on the whole scheme and may have befriended Robyn in order to substantiate the whole story.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived