IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FundieFarmer, THANK YOU!  I did a google image search for "Kody Brown Ponytail" (or something like that), and this was one of the first results!

It's a fitting expression both for FJ and for anything related to Kody's gross ponytail/manbun!

According to All about the Tea, the catfisher, Jackie Overton got arrested yesterday and was released on bond. There were some outstanding warrents for her arrest for relatively minor stuff, but her mother was also arrested for embezzlement, I think. Jackie seems to have consoled herself by posting more voicemails on the notbatmanyet blog today, after a one day break. :puke-front:

http://allaboutthetea.com/2015/10/22/sister-wives-catfish-lover-jackie-overton-arrested/

That woman really really really needs some help. Holy shit! 

Oh wow. This is such a train wreck. I can't bring myself to listen to the voicemails. I will say that some of the text exchanges have lines that look like they're photoshopped. 

Oh wow. This is such a train wreck. I can't bring myself to listen to the voicemails. I will say that some of the text exchanges have lines that look like they're photoshopped. 

The voicemails are difficult to listen to because its evident that the catfish was trying to emotionally manipulate Meri. Lots of "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, I love you" voicemails. The catfish published dozen of them today, it seems, as a desperate ploy to keep attention going. Eventually she's going to run out of stuff to "release" and things will die down. I just wonder about Meri's mental state now, and if she's be treated well by Kody et. al. after this came out. 

The voicemails are difficult to listen to because its evident that the catfish was trying to emotionally manipulate Meri. Lots of "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, I love you" voicemails. The catfish published dozen of them today, it seems, as a desperate ploy to keep attention going. Eventually she's going to run out of stuff to "release" and things will die down. I just wonder about Meri's mental state now, and if she's be treated well by Kody et. al. after this came out. 

Yeah, I listed to the first two or three that were originally posted, and that's the feeling I got as well. In the text exchanges, too. It just makes my skin crawl. 

Hopefully, she'll be able to lean on her daughter a little bit for support -- thankfully she only has the one and she's old enough. I can't imagine the politics of seeking support about this kind of thing with the sister wives. Kody -- well, I can't say I usually expect much from him, but hopefully his protective instinct will have him on the offensive about the fact that Meri was taken clearly advantage of, and not solely on Meri's involvement in the whole debacle.

I'm sad for Meri that this happened. It's absolutely wrong to emotionally manipulate and then publicly humiliate someone, regardless of that person's celebrity status or living situation. What the catfish did and is doing is inexcusable.

That said, I do not at all applaud Meri having an affair. Whatever we may think of her marital arrangements (and personally, I think the whole situation is very unhealthy,) Meri is an adult who entered into her family relationships by choice and made commitments to the other people involved. If Meri's emotional needs are not being met, she needs to handle it in an adult way and communicate that to Kody and the sister wives and work on making changes, or else leave the relationship in an honest and upfront way. Being involved in a bad relationship is not a reason to lie and sneak around. There are better ways to handle unhappiness in a marriage, up to and including divorce.

Meri's mistakes don't give the catfish the right to hurt her, though. I hope the whole thing blows over soon. 

Exactly what creeps me out here beyond the lying is that "Sam" treats Meri like crap. Meri is apologizing and trying to make "Sam" feel better in everything we've seen "Sam" release. This catfish has some deep need for ego stroking. Barf. 

Slightly off topic: I haven't watched the new season. Have there been any updates on Logan?

Not really that I've seen. It's the season of Robyn. Every episode is about Kody trying to adopt Robyn's kids, Kody and Robyn getting legally married and now it's also about Robyn being pregnant. Oh yeah, I forgot it's about Robyn too. 

Slightly off topic: I haven't watched the new season. Have there been any updates on Logan?

Yeah, I've watched the first three episodes so far and I don't think Logan was mentioned at all. The only college kid that I think I've seen this season is Maddie, when she was talking about how they wouldn't admit her into the LDS church. 

They really should just change the name of the shower to Kody, Robyn, and Robyn's Uterus Turds.

Yeah, I've watched the first three episodes so far and I don't think Logan was mentioned at all. The only college kid that I think I've seen this season is Maddie, when she was talking about how they wouldn't admit her into the LDS church. 

I think you're right.  They're only showing them in flashbacks thus far.  Impressive and sad to see how all the kids were upset last year when they announced Robyn's pregnancy (cue Robyn talking about how sad and alone she felt during that entire time).  All the older kids (except Mariah, still cheerleading for polygamy) commented about how they felt their family already had enough children.  Then there were all the sister wives & their talking heads, discussing what an excellent and involved father Kody is.  :my_dodgy:

I haven't watched it but from the commercials it is definitely all about Robyn and Kody. I'm so sick of his man bun and hearing her say "I'm pregnant and I'm really happy." Well great...but I'm thinking that if the older kids said that the family didn't need more kids, it probably didn't. 

I think you're right.  They're only showing them in flashbacks thus far.  Impressive and sad to see how all the kids were upset last year when they announced Robyn's pregnancy (cue Robyn talking about how sad and alone she felt during that entire time).  All the older kids (except Mariah, still cheerleading for polygamy) commented about how they felt their family already had enough children.  Then there were all the sister wives & their talking heads, discussing what an excellent and involved father Kody is.  :my_dodgy:

Which episode was that in? I don't mean that in a contentious way- I just want to see it for myself because.... wow! That is pretty ballsy of them to admit that. I guess the older kids, who are at the point where they're more aware of the family's precarious financial situation, realize that money is spread pretty thin and they don't want it spread any more thinly. 

Honestly, I think Meri's reluctance to leave the family is primarily financial. I'm not trying to justify her emotional affair in any way but I do feel that she is in a particularly tough position. She knows that if she left the family, the show probably wouldn't go on much longer which would lead to the family's revenue stream drying up, and it would leave all of the kids in pretty dire straits. That is a big responsibility to bear. 

Which episode was that in? I don't mean that in a contentious way- I just want to see it for myself because.... wow! That is pretty ballsy of them to admit that. I guess the older kids, who are at the point where they're more aware of the family's precarious financial situation, realize that money is spread pretty thin and they don't want it spread any more thinly. 

Honestly, I think Meri's reluctance to leave the family is primarily financial. I'm not trying to justify her emotional affair in any way but I do feel that she is in a particularly tough position. She knows that if she left the family, the show probably wouldn't go on much longer which would lead to the family's revenue stream drying up, and it would leave all of the kids in pretty dire straits. That is a big responsibility to bear. 

It's on Robyn's Big Announcement.  They show flashbacks of the older kids objecting to the first pregnancy, saying that they thought their family already had enough kids.  Mariah is very happy about the expanding family in the flashback and tries to convince the others to also be happy.  They want nothing to do with her optimism. Janelle mentions that her kids were some of the most vocally upset about the pregnancy, but since they all love Solomon so much, now they're okay. With the announcement of the second pregnancy, there is grand rejoicing all around -- and Meri was the one who announced it.  

The financial aspect is interesting. Janelle was obviously the main work wife for many years there.  I can see why her children might end up more upset than others, being more aware of the financial difficulties of maintaining such a large family.  

I don't know if those texts are entirely real or just partially or not at all, but if they are it's a bit heart breaking to see how little it took for her to fall in love with this person. She must have felt so deprived of love (multiplied not divided my ass) that it only took a few nice words to make her fall head over heels. I think that Christine and her could really have blossomed in a different relationship.

That being said, I can't feel completely sorry for her since she is still trying to sell an illusion and outright lying to the show viewers pretending that all is well and that polygamy is the way to go. 

I don't know if those texts are entirely real or just partially or not at all, but if they are it's a bit heart breaking to see how little it took for her to fall in love with this person. She must have felt so deprived of love (multiplied not divided my ass) that it only took a few nice words to make her fall head over heels. I think that Christine and her could really have blossomed in a different relationship.

That being said, I can't feel completely sorry for her since she is still trying to sell an illusion and outright lying to the show viewers pretending that all is well and that polygamy is the way to go. 

If you read their book (Becoming Sister Wives), it is immediately clear that Kody was only madly in love with Meri. Jenelle stepped into the picture and while I think she had an intellectual connection with Kody, Jenelle was treated like a third wheel and even left Kody for a year or so (if I'm remembering correctly) after she and Meri couldn't resolve their issues. I think Christine was simply a bandaid on that toxic situation and her youth/optimism/motherliness really cemented the family together once the babies came, but again Kody seemed even less romantically-drawn to Christine than Jenelle (remember the nachos incident? So sad!). I think Kody became infatuated with Robyn and that infatuation has remained pretty constant because she is the only one having babies now (and Kody has this weird obsession with proving his virility). I think Kody's closeness to Robyn and her children has irreparably damaged all of the relationships, but Meri and Kody's more than the others.  

If you read their book (Becoming Sister Wives), it is immediately clear that Kody was only madly in love with Meri. Jenelle stepped into the picture and while I think she had an intellectual connection with Kody, Jenelle was treated like a third wheel and even left Kody for a year or so (if I'm remembering correctly) after she and Meri couldn't resolve their issues. I think Christine was simply a bandaid on that toxic situation and her youth/optimism/motherliness really cemented the family together once the babies came, but again Kody seemed even less romantically-drawn to Christine than Jenelle (remember the nachos incident? So sad!). I think Kody became infatuated with Robyn and that infatuation has remained pretty constant because she is the only one having babies now (and Kody has this weird obsession with proving his virility). I think Kody's closeness to Robyn and her children has irreparably damaged all of the relationships, but Meri and Kody's more than the others.  

The nachos incident...that was so, so hurtful. Even if he felt that way there was absolutely no need for that thought to be expressed out loud for other people to hear. And to do it just to get attention, because let's be honest that is why he did it, what an ugly thing to say about a woman that you claim to love.

I think the Meri/Janelle situation is very, very complex. I think that Meri and Kody were in love in the beginning and ok they probably discussed sister wives, maybe it was even something that seemed so remote initially that she (or they) didn't consider carefully (then again maybe not since she comes from a polygamous family and his dad had also converted). And then there were the fertility issues which, seeing how much value he places on having more and more kids, must have taken a toll on her confidence and feelings of self worth. Enter Janelle who was her former sister-in-law and who practically pursued him, that must have been hard for Meri. And on top of all this Janelle has no issues getting pregnant. I can see where the hard feelings are coming from. Now, I don't think Meri is a saint, if I understood correctly she was horrible to Janelle, as you said she even left at some point.

Poor Christine though...Kody probably married her just to get the required number of wives and took the first interested woman that was available to fill that spot. I really feel that she got the short end of the stick.

All this goes to show just how much harm polygamy (and believing that your salvation depends on it) actually does. 

I still haven't been able to see the interview where they mention the nacho incident. I know that Cynical Jinx has said that TLC seems to have scrubbed it from the internet, and the only copy she has is on her DVR. But I have read the transcript of it, and the review of the book by CJ and found it jaw-droppingly awful. If ANYONE I loved said that to me, I don't think I could be with them anymore. Kody has no empathy.

Have the Browns ever really addressed that incident on Twitter or anything? I know that Kody and Meri have made a point to say that it wasn't Kody that rejected Meri's offer of IVF (even though that really seems untrue) and that they have defended Kody on other things, but they may not want to touch this one at all. It's pretty indisputably awful.  

Not that it matters, but I think Christine is absolutely lovely. It makes me sad that he couldn't see that then, and I really wonder if he can see it now. It certainly doesn't seem like it. All of those women deserve better.

I still haven't been able to see the interview where they mention the nacho incident. I know that Cynical Jinx has said that TLC seems to have scrubbed it from the internet, and the only copy she has is on her DVR. But I have read the transcript of it, and the review of the book by CJ and found it jaw-droppingly awful. If ANYONE I loved said that to me, I don't think I could be with them anymore. Kody has no empathy.

Have the Browns ever really addressed that incident on Twitter or anything? I know that Kody and Meri have made a point to say that it wasn't Kody that rejected Meri's offer of IVF (even though that really seems untrue) and that they have defended Kody on other things, but they may not want to touch this one at all. It's pretty indisputably awful.  

Not that it matters, but I think Christine is absolutely lovely. It makes me sad that he couldn't see that then, and I really wonder if he can see it now. It certainly doesn't seem like it. All of those women deserve better.

What's even worse is (if I'm remembering correctly) he said it BEFORE they got married and he admitted he wasn't really physically attracted to her!! As someone with self esteem issues myself, that would have devastated me and I wouldn't be able to even stand close to someone who spoke about me like that. 

I do believe that Christine made a joke about it on twitter around the time the episode aired where they were interviewed about it. I'm pretty sure it was in one of the "tell all" specials at the end of one of the early seasons. Anyways, Christine made some remark about how they laugh at the incident in hindsight and make a big joke out of it. I'm sure she jokes about it because its the only thing that keeps her from crying. 

The nachos incident...that was so, so hurtful. Even if he felt that way there was absolutely no need for that thought to be expressed out loud for other people to hear. And to do it just to get attention, because let's be honest that is why he did it, what an ugly thing to say about a woman that you claim to love.

I think the Meri/Janelle situation is very, very complex. I think that Meri and Kody were in love in the beginning and ok they probably discussed sister wives, maybe it was even something that seemed so remote initially that she (or they) didn't consider carefully (then again maybe not since she comes from a polygamous family and his dad had also converted). And then there were the fertility issues which, seeing how much value he places on having more and more kids, must have taken a toll on her confidence and feelings of self worth. Enter Janelle who was her former sister-in-law and who practically pursued him, that must have been hard for Meri. And on top of all this Janelle has no issues getting pregnant. I can see where the hard feelings are coming from. Now, I don't think Meri is a saint, if I understood correctly she was horrible to Janelle, as you said she even left at some point.

Poor Christine though...Kody probably married her just to get the required number of wives and took the first interested woman that was available to fill that spot. I really feel that she got the short end of the stick.

All this goes to show just how much harm polygamy (and believing that your salvation depends on it) actually does. 

If you read their book (Becoming Sister Wives), it is immediately clear that Kody was only madly in love with Meri. Jenelle stepped into the picture and while I think she had an intellectual connection with Kody, Jenelle was treated like a third wheel and even left Kody for a year or so (if I'm remembering correctly) after she and Meri couldn't resolve their issues. I think Christine was simply a bandaid on that toxic situation and her youth/optimism/motherliness really cemented the family together once the babies came, but again Kody seemed even less romantically-drawn to Christine than Jenelle (remember the nachos incident? So sad!). I think Kody became infatuated with Robyn and that infatuation has remained pretty constant because she is the only one having babies now (and Kody has this weird obsession with proving his virility). I think Kody's closeness to Robyn and her children has irreparably damaged all of the relationships, but Meri and Kody's more than the

I haven't read the book, but I will have to pick it up sometime soon.  Was the nachos incident on-screen?

Kody's absolute disdain for Christine is becoming more painfully obvious with every episode. Those therapy sessions where she talks about always submitting to Kody and not knowing she could express an opinion, the way that Robyn does...  She had always intended to be a third wife, too.  I think she expected a position like Robyn's: the object of incredible affection and devotion after the first few wives got...older.  Instead, she got a few years of glory as the primary breeder and keeper of the home, to be shoved aside once the newer model arrived.   

Can someone give me a quick summary of what the nacho incident is??

There was some kind of group trip that included Kody, Christine, and other people. They stopped by a convenience store and Christine got some nachos, and Kody has stated that seeing her eat those nachos really grossed him out because she was "chubby." A really fucking nasty thing to admit, even if he did think it. 

Here's a somewhat crappy quality clip from the tell-all where they discuss it. The look on Christine's face is telling. :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lk7g6-AQOs

[clipped for length]

I haven't read the book, but I will have to pick it up sometime soon.  Was the nachos incident on-screen?

Kody's absolute disdain for Christine is becoming more painfully obvious with every episode. Those therapy sessions where she talks about always submitting to Kody and not knowing she could express an opinion, the way that Robyn does...  She had always intended to be a third wife, too.  I think she expected a position like Robyn's: the object of incredible affection and devotion after the first few wives got...older.  Instead, she got a few years of glory as the primary breeder and keeper of the home, to be shoved aside once the newer model arrived.   

It was not on-screen- I think it was way back in their courting days. And I think you hit the nail on the head regarding Christine's expectations of her place in the family versus the reality. Watch the clip I posted in my last reply- it is SO telling as to how Kody really feels about it. It seems like he loves her because she is the mother of his children and that's it. As someone who has been with a partner that made them feel ugly and unattractive, that absolutely kills your soul and makes you feel worthless and unlovable. I feel for Christine. I really do. 

Can someone give me a quick summary of what the nacho incident is??

There was some kind of group trip that included Kody, Christine, and other people. They stopped by a convenience store and Christine got some nachos, and Kody has stated that seeing her eat those nachos really grossed him out because she was "chubby." A really fucking nasty thing to admit, even if he did think it. 

Here's a somewhat crappy quality clip from the tell-all where they discuss it. The look on Christine's face is telling. :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lk7g6-AQOs

What a dick.  Speaking of his fathering skills, that's an excellent concern to pass on to his daughters.  It's not like women get enough media pressure about their figures and looks; pressure from home is good, too.  

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived