IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

This is the most junior high level drama imaginable, and yet this rumor sounds completely believable. The whole system is so strongly based in a patriarchal hierarchy. Women have no access to power except through men. Their sons can kinda maybe help them, but the dad/husband is the true patriarch holding all the power. Meri had a high pedestal for quite awhile. She may not have been the most fertile woman, but she was the first wife and willing to fight for her rights and work to grow her/Kody's family. She brought in Robyn, which would leave Robyn owing her....something. Unless Meri were disgraced and pushed out, in which case, there becomes room for a new head wife who wins all of Kody's favors. The varying (im)maturity and (in)security levels of the women leave me sad.

Bleh. All these grown adults who were pushed into major commitments early in life and who lack interpersonal experience on an adult level making huge mistakes for their kids to deal with. They have some education, but they'd benefit from more -- studying some feminist theories would really help that household, even if it'd never happen.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a really insightful comment. Polygamy, in the form the Browns practice it, is inherent hugely patriarchy. Most tangible and intangible forms of power rest with the patriarchy and the women are forced to compete for it. Silly things like one's fertility and whatnot become currency in the struggle for resources.

I remember the first time I read either a post or article (can't remember now) about how Robyn may have known that this Sam person was a catfish and I initially thought it was a little bit too much of a conspiracy theory. However, given the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if it were really the case.

Regarding them benefitting from feminist theory, I think some of them are somewhat aware of a smidgen of feminist theory (though it may not have been presented as such). Especially Janelle, when she expressed her disgust at the other polygamous patriarch who made a comment about women and their periods. She said something about women not being a product of their biology, which I was happy to hear her say! Still, I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance. I think they struggle with what their religions tells them is correct versus what their own mind/heart tells them.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they struggle with what their religions tells them is correct versus what their own mind/heart tells them.

Christine especially seems to struggle with this since Robyn showed up. It's sad. Life is too short to be unhappy.

I googled the meri scandal today and several articles came up about Robyn supposedly knowing Meri was being catfished the whole time and she said nothing about it to warn Meri and instead watched the scandal unfold. I have no clue if this is true since the source is cited as "Robyn's close friend" Kendra. Interesting.

Wasn't Kendra claiming for a long time that she had personal, video contact with "Sam"? I could have sworn she claimed they were skyping or whatever. Maybe Robyn tricked or didn't inform Kendra as well and now she's turning on her?

Wasn't Kendra claiming for a long time that she had personal, video contact with "Sam"? I could have sworn she claimed they were skyping or whatever. Maybe Robyn tricked or didn't inform Kendra as well and now she's turning on her?

This was a thought I had too. Kendra trying to throw Robyn under the bus now that it's been revealed that Kendra is a lying liar who lies. :shrug: Who knows. I honestly can't keep this crap straight.

In Sunday's episode, Kody seemed to say by going on the trip with him, the daughters wouldn't have to compete against the wives, against each other, and against the wives encouraging them against each other. How sick an environment that must be if the last is true.

In Sunday's episode, Kody seemed to say by going on the trip with him, the daughters wouldn't have to compete against the wives, against each other, and against the wives encouraging them against each other. How sick an environment that must be if the last is true.

Yes! I knew there was something from the episode I forgot to bring up!

That was so concerning to me. And funnily enough, I remember when they talked to those people who were anti polygamy, one of them who was from the Warren Jeffs compound spoke on that. She said that her mother was always fighting for her dad's attention, and when he would come by for dinner it was always a big to do.

Funny how they keep claiming they're nothing like those polygamists and yet here we are. Wives should not be competing with each other, and CHILDREN should not be competing with WIVES. God that is sick.

It isn't even like I'm someone who thinks monogamy is ideal. I am actually not that big on monogamy and know a lot about other types of poly relationships. The way the Browns and other polygamists form their relationships is toxic and wrong.

I'm glad you saw it too. It also seemed to me like he said the wives pitted the kids against each other? Something he said in a TH overlaid as they stood in the kitchen of the rental made me think of it...almost as if they say, "Well, Wife #___'s kids get this, and YOU don't. Doesn't that make you feel sad/mad/______?"

No wonder there is drama in that house.

I'm pretty sure Kendra has known this was a catfish all along. I used to belong to one of the groups she moderates and when Meri first started with this online affair she was posting a lot about it and I got the impression while reading her posts that she was hinting Sam wasn't real.

Kendra has a history of deleting posts and denying they ever existed so I cant go back and grab them.

According to posts on Cynical Jinx's page, a lot of the evidence has been scrubbed from the catfisher's page. Maybe there has been a cease and desist letter sent which is making Kendra nervous and is the reason for her implicating Robyn.

Kendra and Robyn just happened to create a new Fb page for Robyn fans around the time Sam and Meri started really posting on Twitter. Personally, I think Robyn was in on it. She's been the unpopular wife with fans and I think she wanted to shift that title to Meri, plus I think she enjoys Meri's humiliation.

I'm pretty sure Kendra has known this was a catfish all along. I used to belong to one of the groups she moderates and when Meri first started with this online affair she was posting a lot about it and I got the impression while reading her posts that she was hinting Sam wasn't real.

Kendra has a history of deleting posts and denying they ever existed so I cant go back and grab them.

According to posts on Cynical Jinx's page, a lot of the evidence has been scrubbed from the catfisher's page. Maybe there has been a cease and desist letter sent which is making Kendra nervous and is the reason for her implicating Robyn.

Kendra and Robyn just happened to create a new Fb page for Robyn fans around the time Sam and Meri started really posting on Twitter. Personally, I think Robyn was in on it. She's been the unpopular wife with fans and I think she wanted to shift that title to Meri, plus I think she enjoys Meri's humiliation.

Robyn definitely has a poor me thing going on, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did do this to not only make Meri look bad to the fans but also to Kody. Meri may have caused some issues for herself with the whole wet bar situation but Robyn is the one with the bad nickname. So I do think that Robyn might have at least known what was going on.

I have no doubt that Robyn saw this as a strategic opportunity to throw Meri under the bus. I have no evidence, just my observation.

I'm glad you saw it too. It also seemed to me like he said the wives pitted the kids against each other? Something he said in a TH overlaid as they stood in the kitchen of the rental made me think of it...almost as if they say, "Well, Wife #___'s kids get this, and YOU don't. Doesn't that make you feel sad/mad/______?"

No wonder there is drama in that house.

I don't remember something like that. But I do remember him saying that he prefers dealing with the kids fighting with each other instead of the wives fighting with each other. :disgust: So gross. He basks in the "glory" that being fought over gets him, even by his children, and it is disgusting.

ETA and also fix my redundancy: The kids seem to get along quite well to me. Sure I don't know everything, but they seem to recognize the problem is with their parents and not with each other. I think having each other to lean on will be a really great benefit to them. I also appreciated how much the kids cared about Robyn's kids. I'd hate for them to be ostracized just because of their parents' bad choices.

I don't remember something like that. But I do remember him saying that he prefers dealing with the kids fighting with each other instead of the wives fighting with each other. :disgust: So gross. He basks in the "glory" that being fought over gets him, even by his children, and it is disgusting.

ETA and also fix my redundancy: The kids seem to get along quite well to me. Sure I don't know everything, but they seem to recognize the problem is with their parents and not with each other. I think having each other to lean on will be a really great benefit to them. I also appreciated how much the kids cared about Robyn's kids. I'd hate for them to be ostracized just because of their parents' bad choices.

I think with a polygamy situation it would be hard not to end up competing with your siblings even if you normally get along. You only see your Dad once in a while, your Mom is always maybe not competing but comparing herself maybe to the other wives. It's not really a healthy situation!

I think with a polygamy situation it would be hard not to end up competing with your siblings even if you normally get along. You only see your Dad once in a while, your Mom is always maybe not competing but comparing herself maybe to the other wives. It's not really a healthy situation!

I don't think they've never felt that way. But I think the Brown kids in particular seem to be award of that unhealthy dynamic, so I don't think they would be pitted together so easily. It would def be something they would have to work through and would probably happen at some point in their lives, but I don't think it's inevitable for them to feel that way most of the time.

But it's true we can't know for sure, and I wouldn't be shocked to learn they did feel that way. This is just what I think.

I think that this is evidence of Kody's misogyny. I think he (incorrectly) imagines that the women in the family are competing for his attention because "that's just how women are." I can see the wives competing for attention with each other but not a daughter competing with her own mother. I don't think Meri, Janelle, and Christine are perfect but I can't see them competing with their own daughters for attention (Robyn, on the other hand.... :roll: ). Perhaps I misunderstood the statement but that's how I took it, at least.

A friend posted the video so I wanted to re-watch and catch the kitchen quote from Kody to see if I misunderstood. Maybe I read too deeply into them, but it does appear that the wives do have a problem with which children are getting the most attention. Perhaps it's not manifesting into issues with the Brown kids. At least, I hope not.

Starting at 6:18:

I'll bet you this trip will be way easier than my wives think it'll be, because there's not going to be any jealousy with my daughters of who I'm talking to the most, or who I'm giving affection to, whereas my wives would have a problem with that.

Here's what he said starting at 15:10:

The absence of the relationship politics here, you know, wives versus daughters, this trip is gonna be easy on me. Cause there's not going to be any relationship politics. All my daughters know I love them, and they're not comparing whether somebody is getting more love than the others, or anything like that. This is going to be an easy trip, I'm telling ya.

Also, this quote from Aurora: "He won't have anything to worry about, like workouts..." :roll:

I think that this is evidence of Kody's misogyny. I think he (incorrectly) imagines that the women in the family are competing for his attention because "that's just how women are." I can see the wives competing for attention with each other but not a daughter competing with her own mother. I don't think Meri, Janelle, and Christine are perfect but I can't see them competing with their own daughters for attention (Robyn, on the other hand.... :roll: ). Perhaps I misunderstood the statement but that's how I took it, at least.

You know, I think you might have hit it on the head there. Since he literally says "wives versus daughters", that's what made me think of it. Whether it actually plays out that way, well...that's anybody's guess.

I definitely think there are more "relationship politics" at play than we see, but I hope they're not quite as twisted as Kody makes them seem.

A friend posted the video so I wanted to re-watch and catch the kitchen quote from Kody to see if I misunderstood. Maybe I read too deeply into them, but it does appear that the wives do have a problem with which children are getting the most attention. Perhaps it's not manifesting into issues with the Brown kids. At least, I hope not.

Starting at 6:18:

Here's what he said starting at 15:10:

Also, this quote from Aurora: "He won't have anything to worry about, like workouts..." :roll:

I think he's saying the wives accuse him of spending more times with certain kids than others, which I believe is probably true. And the kids probably get jealous sometimes of the time he gets with other kids. But I don't think that the wives are purposefully pitting the kids against each other.

Also he might not even be talking about between daughters there. The wives get annoyed that he spends too much time with their sons and not their daughters.

As for the work out comment, I can easily see kody prioritizing his exercise and that of the boys over his girls.

You know, I think you might have hit it on the head there. Since he literally says "wives versus daughters", that's what made me think of it. Whether it actually plays out that way, well...that's anybody's guess.

I definitely think there are more "relationship politics" at play than we see, but I hope they're not quite as twisted as Kody makes them seem.

Yeah, I just watched the episode last night and I understood it as wives vs. daughters and I remember thinking, "What kind of freudian shit is this??" I do think you're right and that there's definitely relationship politics at play. There might even be competition between kids, though I seriously hope not. I know there's a boys vs. girls dynamic because of Kody's masculinity bullshit, so I wouldn't be surprised if girls had to really assert themselves to get some attention from him.

It appears InTouch hunted down the catfish!

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/sist ... rton-73835

Hmmm. I'm glad that she's finally getting some of the scrutiny from the tabloids. It felt like she was just a parenthetical for a while, and what she's doing is awful. I hope she cuts this shit out now. This story is becoming well-known enough now that I feel like TLC and the Browns are going to have to address it with more than a blurb in People magazine. Although, I don't know if anyone really cares anymore. Every comment I've seen on the internet has been sympathetic toward Meri.

Yeah, I just watched the episode last night and I understood it as wives vs. daughters and I remember thinking, "What kind of freudian shit is this??" I do think you're right and that there's definitely relationship politics at play. There might even be competition between kids, though I seriously hope not. I know there's a boys vs. girls dynamic because of Kody's masculinity bullshit, so I wouldn't be surprised if girls had to really assert themselves to get some attention from him.

I would bet that there is some serious competition underlying the relationships of the various siblings. Many polygamist tell-alls will recall issues growing up where the father/patriarch favors one wife and therefore her children, who will be allowed more -- everything, basically -- more resources, more attention, more freedom, fewer and less severe punishments...

We saw Mariah fight for and get the most expensive university of the college-aged kids. We've also seen one of the sons (Hunter? Logan?) really separate himself from the family now that he's at college and exposed to other lifestyles. When one person (Kody) has that much power over so many others, it is bound to be unbalanced and allow for favoritism. He jokes about the wives being in control, but I think he's a great example of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

Exhibit A: his head was so far up his own ass that he never realized that having a two-seater convertible sucked for the entire rest of his family. Everyone else is forced to laugh it off, but clearly, Pseudo-King Kody only wants to share a little bit at a time. And he is narcissistic enough to completely fail to notice how this impacts others in his immediate life circles.

I would bet that there is some serious competition underlying the relationships of the various siblings. Many polygamist tell-alls will recall issues growing up where the father/patriarch favors one wife and therefore her children, who will be allowed more -- everything, basically -- more resources, more attention, more freedom, fewer and less severe punishments...

We saw Mariah fight for and get the most expensive university of the college-aged kids. We've also seen one of the sons (Hunter? Logan?) really separate himself from the family now that he's at college and exposed to other lifestyles. When one person (Kody) has that much power over so many others, it is bound to be unbalanced and allow for favoritism. He jokes about the wives being in control, but I think he's a great example of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

Exhibit A: his head was so far up his own ass that he never realized that having a two-seater convertible sucked for the entire rest of his family. Everyone else is forced to laugh it off, but clearly, Pseudo-King Kody only wants to share a little bit at a time. And he is narcissistic enough to completely fail to notice how this impacts others in his immediate life circles.

Personally, I think it is telling that Kody never really tried or went out of his way to bond with his daughters until favorite wife Robyn's daughters were of an age and favorite wife Robyn said something. Honestly, if he could have gotten away with it, I think he would have taken only Aurora and Brianna to bond. It's clear he makes more of an effort to bond with Robyn's family than his others.

People posted a new piece about this drama today:

New People Magazine Article

"I became fearful of the online relationship as I became aware of the deception," Brown tells PEOPLE. "I didn't know how to get out of the situation without putting myself, family, and friends at greater risk. It was a very difficult time. I had a lot of anxiety."

The reality star was under the impression she was speaking to a Chicago businessman online, but was in fact tricked by a woman pretending to be him.

Though it wasn't easy to break the news to her husband Kody and fellow Sister Wives stars Janelle, Christine and Robyn, she eventually came clean.

"My family was very concerned for our safety and angry that we had been targeted," she says. "They were relieved once I told them what was really going on and saddened that I had been so afraid of involving them that I didn't go to them sooner."

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this new blurb. I find it hard to believe that Kody and the gang offered her much sympathy.

There was some teaser in episode one about Meri having some "medical problem" and losing a bunch of weight - I wonder if this IS actually a story arc that they will be using in later episodes this season. The timing is obviously perfect and Meri's people are the ones who, per the catfish, encouraged the leaking of the information.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived