IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

I think the fact that Meri chose to ignore all of those rational, logical questions is a testament to just how desperate Meri was/is for affection and care.

Meri may be a touch sheltered but I don't think she's dumb, and she had to have a nagging feeling that something just wasn't right. But still... she went through with it. Sad, sad, sad.

QFT. I think most of the Browns (Kody, maybe Hunter and some of the other older boys excepted) are a bit more than a touch sheltered. Training one's mind to just "not go there" seems to be a fundie trait; they seem incapable of imagining the worst scenarios. That may be good for some aspects of their emotional lives, but that also leaves them open and vulnerable to a lot of other unsavory situations. Janelle and Mary don't seem especially dumb (v. Sobbyn Robyn, who has yet to convince me of the existence of any non-manipulative brain cells, or Christine, who like Anna Duggar, must struggle to stay so stupid), but do seem especially naive and trusting.

It's the desperation reeking off this scandal which is the saddest part. Meri (and all the other women) would have been so much better off with partners other than Kody. Instead they try so hard to convince the rest of us that they are SO VERY INCREDIBLY HAPPY AND LIVING THEIR BEST LIVES. Maybe they don't want to acknowledge the incongruities of their statements, but then it's left for us to do so.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it looks like the catfish took down all her Meri posts on the batman website and she is saying how happy she was, something big happened today, and if you love someone fight for them. Yadda yadda yadda. Obviously trying to make it sound like she and Meri are back together. Sorry catfish... no one is buying it!

That woman is loony toons. She needs professional help before she hurts someone else. I read an interview today that another of his victims did with a blogger and it is amazing what this particular catfish can pull off.

Things are getting really scary with these people. Now, tweets are coming up from Lindsey that say she will send all of the dissenters information to peoples' jobs and "go after their families". Her crew sent me horribly aggressive direct messages on twitter ages ago for saying something totally blah using the #sisterwives hashtag, and apparently other people are experiencing much worse now. This is so out of control.

Things are getting really scary with these people. Now, tweets are coming up from Lindsey that say she will send all of the dissenters information to peoples' jobs and "go after their families". Her crew sent me horribly aggressive direct messages on twitter ages ago for saying something totally blah using the #sisterwives hashtag, and apparently other people are experiencing much worse now. This is so out of control.

I feel bad for anyone who might have given the catfish personal info.

Now it looks like the catfish took down all her Meri posts on the batman website and she is saying how happy she was, something big happened today, and if you love someone fight for them. Yadda yadda yadda. Obviously trying to make it sound like she and Meri are back together. Sorry catfish... no one is buying it!

That woman is loony toons. She needs professional help before she hurts someone else. I read an interview today that another of his victims did with a blogger and it is amazing what this particular catfish can pull off.

Its her way of getting out of posting the "sex tape" and Sam's driver's license. She knew she couldn't use the "I have thousands of emails requesting the password - it will take a while to get to all of them" excuse forever so now she's going to pretend like she and Meri are talking again and she respects her too much to leave the video up.

This is such a freaking weird story and it keeps getting stranger. I still don't understand how Meri could tell this person she loved him when she never even met him. She must have been so desperate.

On the upside, this show has done the exact opposite of what it set out to do because it has shown millions of people first-hand how damaging polygamy is to women and children. I don't think a single one of the wives is happy and it shows.

I feel bad for Meri, I think that she always must have felt bad about her infertility and who really knows what went on or what was said to her about it prior to the TV show. Then Robyn comes along and Kody falls head over heels for her and basically ignores the rest of them. I mean there's supportive and then there's above and beyond. All she really had was her legal wife status and that was given up so that Kody could adopt Robyn's kids. It's a tough situation!

I feel bad for all the Brown wives. Except for Janelle- they all seem pretty unhappy. Robyn shows moments of happiness when she is Kody's #1 wife but Meri and Christine seem truly miserable.

What's interesting to me is how much Kody values reproduction. There is a clip from the very first episode where Kody is introducing all of his wives. When he introduces Christine, he looks so proud as they introduce Truely who is still in Christine's belly at the time. Once Christine had Truely, the attention for Christine dropped and she just became "work" in Kody's eyes. He really seems to get off on someone carrying his baby. I think he's had enough kids at this point though, huh? Good Lord.

What's interesting to me is how much Kody values reproduction. There is a clip from the very first episode where Kody is introducing all of his wives. When he introduces Christine, he looks so proud as they introduce Truely who is still in Christine's belly at the time. Once Christine had Truely, the attention for Christine dropped and she just became "work" in Kody's eyes. He really seems to get off on someone carrying his baby. I think he's had enough kids at this point though, huh? Good Lord.

I agree. I think its a manliness thing for him. He likes showing off how virile he is. :ew:

Also, I think it was in the "All about Christine" episode where he mentioned quite pointedly that Christine is totally done having kids. I couldn't really get a sense of his tone when he said it but the fact that he mentioned it at all was a little weird, almost like she's now grouped in with the previous two wives that have also stopped reproducing.

And remember how upset he was that Meri didn't want to try to continue having kids? He was such an ass for pushing the issue during his and Meri's special anniversary (I think?) trip. He really needs to back the fuck off of his wives and honor their decision rather than badger them into trying to get pregnant again.

I wonder if this will be Robyn's last one...

I agree. I think its a manliness thing for him. He likes showing off how virile he is. :ew:

Also, I think it was in the "All about Christine" episode where he mentioned quite pointedly that Christine is totally done having kids. I couldn't really get a sense of his tone when he said it but the fact that he mentioned it at all was a little weird, almost like she's now grouped in with the previous two wives that have also stopped reproducing.

And remember how upset he was that Meri didn't want to try to continue having kids? He was such an ass for pushing the issue during his and Meri's special anniversary (I think?) trip. He really needs to back the fuck off of his wives and honor their decision rather than badger them into trying to get pregnant again.

I wonder if this will be Robyn's last one...

Well seeing the way that he treats his other wives that have stopped reproducing, if she wants to remain the favourite, she will pop our more babies! Because his ego needs it. He's such a sleezebag, manage the kids that you have.

You know, that's a really good point. Now, I'm no polygamist, so I could have this all wrong in my head. But...if all you need for priesthood is three women, why take four? Especially when you're already strapped for cash? Unless you're going for a quorum of seven, it hardly seems necessary. The grandmother on Big Love expressed as much.

Unless...

1. You really are looking for love and you happen to find it.

2. You want more babies, and mamas 1, 2, and 3 are done.

Perhaps very crude, but I often wonder why Kody went for a fourth. I think Robyn fulfills 1 & 2, and I think it shows.

You know, that's a really good point. Now, I'm no polygamist, so I could have this all wrong in my head. But...if all you need for priesthood is three women, why take four? Especially when you're already strapped for cash? Unless you're going for a quorum of seven, it hardly seems necessary. The grandmother on Big Love expressed as much.

Unless...

1. You really are looking for love and you happen to find it.

2. You want more babies, and mamas 1, 2, and 3 are done.

Perhaps very crude, but I often wonder why Kody went for a fourth. I think Robyn fulfills 1 & 2, and I think it shows.

I definitely think Kody wanted to have more kids, and I think that desire is tied to both a religious mandate (populate the earth w/ God's army) and his sense of masculinity. Kody (poorly and rather humorously) tries to prove his manliness in many ways and has made many comments throughout the run of the series that he's a man's man, and doesn't want to be bothered with "girl stuff." I almost get the feeling that he has a sense of disdain towards things that are considered feminine, like outward expressions of emotion. He's admitted that he isn't as close to his daughters and blames it on the fact that he can "relate" more to his boys due to sports, etc. Honestly, I think its due to a bit of misogyny.

I definitely think Kody wanted to have more kids, and I think that desire is tied to both a religious mandate (populate the earth w/ God's army) and his sense of masculinity. Kody (poorly and rather humorously) tries to prove his manliness in many ways and has made many comments throughout the run of the series that he's a man's man, and doesn't want to be bothered with "girl stuff." I almost get the feeling that he has a sense of disdain towards things that are considered feminine, like outward expressions of emotion. He's admitted that he isn't as close to his daughters and blames it on the fact that he can "relate" more to his boys due to sports, etc. Honestly, I think its due to a bit of misogyny.

Another piece of evidence for this is the time span. Funny how he was happy with his three wives while they were all having children, and then soon after they stop he falls in love again.

Yes that nonsense about relating easier to the boys drove me crazy!!!!!! If you wanted to spend time with your girls you would. You would play pretend with the younger ones and could do all sorts of things win the older ones. A. Girls can play sports. Even if all they want to do is play catch. B. There are other things to do besides sports. Art projects, museums, music swapping, dancing around like fools, swimming in those pools they have. Taking the girls for a drive in that wasteful convertible instead of your date. And plenty of others I haven't mentioned.

When I was younger my dad used to do my hair for me. He drove buses so he would see all kinds of styles on different girls and try and copy them on my hair. And he liked to paint so he would help me paint designs on my nails. Guess his masculinity isn't as fragile as yours Kody, huh?

But in the end, wasn't it Kody who really put an end to Meri's IVF decision? I felt kind of bad for Meri as she had finally made up her mind to give it a shot and he was like, "Eh nope. Not feeling it."

But in the end, wasn't it Kody who really put an end to Meri's IVF decision? I felt kind of bad for Meri as she had finally made up her mind to give it a shot and he was like, "Eh nope. Not feeling it."

I can't really remember but it could have been. Why would Kody need Meri to have any more kids now that he has a shiny, new, and very fertile fourth wife?

Kody wanted to do IVF and Meri couldn't decide/wasn't feeling it for at least a year. When she finally brought it up, she didnt come out and say she wanted it, and Kody said it sounded like she didn't want to anymore and he agreed. And then later meri told Robyn that he had pretty much squashed it, which isnt what happened but Meri loves that victim role.

Kody wanted to do IVF and Meri couldn't decide/wasn't feeling it for at least a year. When she finally brought it up, she didnt come out and say she wanted it, and Kody said it sounded like she didn't want to anymore and he agreed. And then later meri told Robyn that he had pretty much squashed it, which isnt what happened but Meri loves that victim role.

From what I saw on the (obviously very edited TV version) episode, she finally seemed a bit more open to it, and then Kody said he wasn't interested. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with editing and later interviews, because previously, Kody had been gung-ho about more Meri-babies while she seemed to be sitting on the fence. What they screened was enough to put Meri in the victim role, which seems sadly appealing to a lot of women without other access to power, Meri included.

Regarding Robyn and the more wives, the merrier, bit, I suspect Kody is vaguely headed for a quorum. No better way to demonstrate masculinity than to have too many wives & baby mamas! But then to have them working for you to support your massive family -- Kody must think that's his own little genius spin there, even if he grew up watching women work harder than men to provide for these massive families.

I agree with the PP who mentioned Kody not being interested in his daughters due to misogyny, except I'd wager that he was more than a touch of it. I suspect he considers women his inferiors, and time with them is only useful if it's creating a bigger kingdom for him in heaven.

I think this is also why he's so concerned with procreation. For his flavor of Mormonism, the more wives, the more babies, and also the more heavenly real estate allotted to him. What a power trip! Even now, if he's feeling salty with Meri over all this catfish nonsense, he can threaten to leave her soul wandering in the midst, the veils between worlds -- and if she still believes, that sounds like an incredibly manipulative situation.

I can't really remember but it could have been. Why would Kody need Meri to have any more kids now that he has a shiny, new, and very fertile fourth wife?

More kids=more planets in heaven to rule over. Whether or not he can feed and care for them here on earth is immaterial; what truly counts is their power and clout after death.

:cray-cray:

Watching tonight's new episode, and it was nice to see such real emotion between Meri and Janelle. I hope that they actually have been able to work through some of their problems and reach a better place. God knows the wives need to be able to support each other in their situation, especially being married to such a doofus. And everything else Meri is going through right now.

Watching tonight's new episode, and it was nice to see such real emotion between Meri and Janelle. I hope that they actually have been able to work through some of their problems and reach a better place. God knows the wives need to be able to support each other in their situation, especially being married to such a doofus. And everything else Meri is going through right now.

Their hug was so touching. I couldn't believe all of the emotion right below the surface. I really like Meri, Janelle, and Christine individually. In their own ways, they are each strong, intelligent, capable women. It's a shame they are involved with this sisterwives to Kody Brown crap.

I googled the meri scandal today and several articles came up about Robyn supposedly knowing Meri was being catfished the whole time and she said nothing about it to warn Meri and instead watched the scandal unfold. I have no clue if this is true since the source is cited as "Robyn's close friend" Kendra. Interesting.

I googled the meri scandal today and several articles came up about Robyn supposedly knowing Meri was being catfished the whole time and she said nothing about it to warn Meri and instead watched the scandal unfold. I have no clue if this is true since the source is cited as "Robyn's close friend" Kendra. Interesting.

This is the most junior high level drama imaginable, and yet this rumor sounds completely believable. The whole system is so strongly based in a patriarchal hierarchy. Women have no access to power except through men. Their sons can kinda maybe help them, but the dad/husband is the true patriarch holding all the power. Meri had a high pedestal for quite awhile. She may not have been the most fertile woman, but she was the first wife and willing to fight for her rights and work to grow her/Kody's family. She brought in Robyn, which would leave Robyn owing her....something. Unless Meri were disgraced and pushed out, in which case, there becomes room for a new head wife who wins all of Kody's favors. The varying (im)maturity and (in)security levels of the women leave me sad.

Bleh. All these grown adults who were pushed into major commitments early in life and who lack interpersonal experience on an adult level making huge mistakes for their kids to deal with. They have some education, but they'd benefit from more -- studying some feminist theories would really help that household, even if it'd never happen.

The stories about the Browns just get weirder and weirder. I really like Janelle and think Christine's heart is in the right place. Meri is just kind of meh and I think Robyn is very manipulative and calculating.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived