DGayle

I will not stand for this unwarranted attack on Benjermin. He is a class act. He took off his backwards facing baseball hat.

ROFL

I love his muscly shirt which show his muscles :cracking-up: :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say I would like to burn Michelle's green blouse that she's worn for years. She could be buying the same shirt year after year or maybe it was on sale at the time and she bough several, but it needs to go.

I would say from the looks of Jill that she is still nursing Izzy and now I feel super creepy for saying that.

Does anyone know how these couples were received at this event? I wonder what size audience they had and if they received praise and applause or if they were just another "performance" on the schedule that was mostly tolerated? Since this event was booked pre-scandal, I hope the speaking gigs will be drying up going forward. These clueless couples do not need to be given a platform of any shape or form. They are too inexperienced to have any real wisdom to share on marriage and parenthood anyway, but most importantly their underlying Gothard beliefs, lifestyle and AGENDA do not represent mainstream Christians--nor should the public be misled into believing they do.

My favourite family books are by jesper juuls. Bottom line: treat your baby/child like a person. not like an accessory or dolly or evil being that has to learn how to be good first.

They have the example of their mother who weaned early to get pregnant with the next, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen.

RE clothing: they are obviously angling to stay in the spotlight and have their show continue, or develop a spin off, or stay in the media by becoming missionaries/preachers --so, yes, how they appear and interact with others should be something they consider. They give off a vibe of "we want to talk at our fans and tell them things are awesome and marriage is awesome and babies are awesome, but we don't want to put forth any effort to actually, you know, create and hone a real presentation, nor do we want any yucky fans to interact with us.

I wish they would go back to the crunchy hair and frumper look. At least then the gullible public has a giant clue that they are dealing with crazy.

I will say I would like to burn Michelle's green blouse that she's worn for years. She could be buying the same shirt year after year or maybe it was on sale at the time and she bough several, but it needs to go.

I would say from the looks of Jill that she is still nursing Izzy and now I feel super creepy for saying that.

May I join the "Green Blouse Bonfire Party"? Someone with influence on J'chelle must have gushed about how good she looks in that blouse, and now she wears it All The Time. I totally "get" how certain styles and colors can compliment a person's skin tone, shape, etc, but my God woman - learn to mix it up a bit!

It may be unusual for a baby to sleep through the night so early but not unheard of. My child slept through the night the the second night we were home and from then on with few exceptions. And I breast fed on demand and did not allow him to cry. ETA at our 6 week lamaz class reunion everyone looked like death warmed over except us.

Yep, I also breast fed on demand and we co-slept. My son was sleeping through the night by three weeks or so. His newborn stage was the most rested I had ever been in my life. It was nuts. We didn't follow any sleep training until he was 14 months old and it was Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

For many women, lactation, like pregnancy, causes some to be very thirsty.

It's not just that you're extra thirsty, proper hydration helps with your milk supply. If you're not drinking enough water, you can't make enough milk. And while "enough" water varies for each nursing mother, they usually need more than the average person. When I was at my thirstiest, I could drink upwards of 3+ litres of water a day and still feel thirsty!

ETA. Can I just say how jealous I am of all you mothers who have/had young babies who sleep through the night? My 4 month old is up every stinking hour every night and it's exhausting. I can't wait until he starts sleeping longer!

I think they looked like total slobs. Even though it was an outdoor venue, they should have put in a bit more effort. imo

However it seems rather common for their generation these days. Sadly, I am getting used to seeing people in their pyjamas at the grocery store or even on a plane for that matter. But who cares if if you look like a slob when all that matters is comfort? :roll:

As someone of their generation I have to say that comfort is really important, my clothing varies depending on the setting (yes I do dressy too) but it's always bought with comfort in mind. Why? There's enough negative stuff going on, I don't want an extra stress that I can easily eliminate. What I wear doesn't effect anyone else so why factor in other people's opinions when choosing it.

I highly doubt this is why the duggar girls dress the way they do but you made a general comment.

Since we went there, about both Jill's and Jessa's bridesmaid dresses: they were hideous. Jessa's had the advantage of being long enough from the get-go, but they were unflattering, and ugly in color. Jill's were just the stupidest things I've ever seen. Not one but two tiers of ill sewn, uneven, added fabric that didn't even match.

Their clothing for an appearance at even a thing like "Alive" should be JUST a bit nicer, IMO. I know this generation doesn't have a history of dressing for events, but it IS a thing that is done. They didn't have to wear church clothing, but something better than what they had on, just to show respect for their audience.

Since we went there, about both Jill's and Jessa's bridesmaid dresses: they were hideous. Jessa's had the advantage of being long enough from the get-go, but they were unflattering, and ugly in color. Jill's were just the stupidest things I've ever seen. Not one but two tiers of ill sewn, uneven, added fabric that didn't even match.

Their clothing for an appearance at even a thing like "Alive" should be JUST a bit nicer, IMO. I know this generation doesn't have a history of dressing for events, but it IS a thing that is done. They didn't have to wear church clothing, but something better than what they had on, just to show respect for their audience.

Did they wear the same clothes that they had worn on the plane?

Don't they have factory outlets in Arkansas? BOGO?

Does anyone know how these couples were received at this event? I wonder what size audience they had and if they received praise and applause or if they were just another "performance" on the schedule that was mostly tolerated? Since this event was booked pre-scandal, I hope the speaking gigs will be drying up going forward. These clueless couples do not need to be given a platform of any shape or form. They are too inexperienced to have any real wisdom to share on marriage and parenthood anyway, but most importantly their underlying Gothard beliefs, lifestyle and AGENDA do not represent mainstream Christians--nor should the public be misled into believing they do.

This^, exactly this.

So we've always known what they claimed to be and over time, we've found out that much of that is an act. The bombshell just 100% confirmed it.

Since all they know are : babies and Gothard, and since for the girls, adult life is new and Gothard is nothing but a cult, there really is no platform for those family worthy of payment. Maybe they all need to work for Gothard- keep it all underground.

These folks have nothing that interests mainstream Americans or Christians- that part was all an act; a fraudulent lie.

The Duggars have made money off of mainstream Christians over the years. They know that there is money, to be made with the mainstream circles. The Duggars books are sold in some megachurches. The Duggar family has spoken at similar mainstream Christians events before. I also vaguely recall they went to some Christian event, where Bethany Hamilton spoke. But as other posters have pointed they really don't represent mainstream Christians or fit in with mainstream types. I would imagine that Jill and Jessa might have felt awkward at Alive being around the mainstream types.

There are some 20 something and 30 something mainstream Christian speakers and ministers that make good livings speaking at mainstream events. People like Jefferson Bethke and Nick Vujicic are examples. Jefferson and Nick are competition for Jill, Jessica, Derrick, and Ben. Also add in other up and coming mainstream Chrsitians speakers that have more mainstream appeal. I think the speaking gigs for the entire Duggar family will dry up at some point.

Derick and Ben are not really the most captivating of speakers. If the Duggars want to launch someone on to be the next televangelist- they need to pull someone a bit more dynamic out of the hat for the next Duggar daughter to marry.

However it seems rather common for their generation these days. Sadly, I am getting used to seeing people in their pyjamas at the grocery store or even on a plane for that matter. But who cares if if you look like a slob when all that matters is comfort? :roll:

To be honest, most of the people I see dressing in pajamas or like a "slob" are people who are older than me. . . and I'm 27.

Do I judge them? No. Why? Because I have no clue what is going on in their life. Its entirely possible that they have a very good reason for dressing the way they do - maybe they have a medical condition, aren't feeling well, or had an emergency to deal with. Or, maybe, they just felt like being comfortable that day. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else, I honestly do not care.

Generalizations: getting society nowhere fast since forever.

To be honest, most of the people I see dressing in pajamas or like a "slob" are people who are older than me. . . and I'm 27.

Do I judge them? No. Why? Because I have no clue what is going on in their life. Its entirely possible that they have a very good reason for dressing the way they do - maybe they have a medical condition, aren't feeling well, or had an emergency to deal with. Or, maybe, they just felt like being comfortable that day. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else, I honestly do not care.

Generalizations: getting society nowhere fast since forever.

Thanks, I really appreciate this thought. :clap: Having similar thoughts on people yelling and generally being rude to others, especially on the phone. You don't know what they're going through. You could be the a-hole screaming at a 35-week pregnant woman on the phone who's trying to manage heart palpitations and help her sister through treatment for a rare, aggressive cancer. :( Clearly, I'm having an *excellent* day today.

It's not just that you're extra thirsty, proper hydration helps with your milk supply. If you're not drinking enough water, you can't make enough milk. And while "enough" water varies for each nursing mother, they usually need more than the average person. When I was at my thirstiest, I could drink upwards of 3+ litres of water a day and still feel thirsty!

ETA. Can I just say how jealous I am of all you mothers who have/had young babies who sleep through the night? My 4 month old is up every stinking hour every night and it's exhausting. I can't wait until he starts sleeping longer!

Me too, curly kate! Cosleeping and nursing side lying saved us. I'm pretty sure my son didn't sleep through the night (fully through the night, not the 5-hour definition) with any regularity until 20-22 months. He self weaned at 23 months and sleeps through the night exclusively now. A new one on the way in 5 weeks and I'm terrified remembering how tired I was!! :shock:

Thanks, I really appreciate this thought. :clap: Having similar thoughts on people yelling and generally being rude to others, especially on the phone. You don't know what they're going through. You could be the a-hole screaming at a 35-week pregnant woman on the phone who's trying to manage heart palpitations and help her sister through treatment for a rare, aggressive cancer. :( Clearly, I'm having an *excellent* day today.

I feel like you need chocolate. . . and a hot beverage. . . and a hug. . .

:hug:

I have no idea how they were received, but I can say that I've attended the Alive festival in the past. This was at least 15+ years ago and it's changed venues since I was there, but I can say that when I attended, the daytime events were pretty much dead, especially the ones not on the main stage. Most people were swimming, playing volleyball, paying water sports, etc. during the day and then heading to the main stage for the evening events. I'm sure there were some people who went just to see them but I'd be surprised if the numbers were high.

It was a bloody music festival; do you guys really expect them to be wearing business casual?! :?

I don't wear pyjamas on the plane but I do wear trackie bottoms (sweatpants to the 'Mericans here) and a hoodie... I've done enough transatlantic flights to know that restrictive clothing is just a bad idea! I don't think that anyone who's ever made the mistake of wearing jeans on a long haul flight would complain a about someone wearing PJs! :lol:

My daughter slept through the night at 8 weeks (ebf and no sleep training); unfortunately she decided to stop that after 2 weeks and is still waking up multiple times at night at 7 months, argh! Almost think I'd rather not have been reminded of what real sleep is like for those 2 precious weeks... Anyway, back to Jill: I'm pretty sure she's still breastfeeding, just look at those bazongas!

It was a bloody music festival; do you guys really expect them to be wearing business casual?! :?

I don't wear pyjamas on the plane but I do wear trackie bottoms (sweatpants to the 'Mericans here) and a hoodie... I've done enough transatlantic flights to know that restrictive clothing is just a bad idea! I don't think that anyone who's ever made the mistake of wearing jeans on a long haul flight would complain a about someone wearing PJs! :lol:

My daughter slept through the night at 8 weeks (ebf and no sleep training); unfortunately she decided to stop that after 2 weeks and is still waking up multiple times at night at 7 months, argh! Almost think I'd rather not have been reminded of what real sleep is like for those 2 precious weeks... Anyway, back to Jill: I'm pretty sure she's still breastfeeding, just look at those bazongas!

They aren't musicians.

They weren't part of the paying customer base/audience.

They were working- paid speakers.

Yes, I would expect them to dress accordingly.

I haven't been to Christian concert/paid-speaker events in YEARS, but even when I was going it would have been weird for a speaker to show up in business casual.

I have gone to Walmart in pajamas. People can judge me. :lol: But I'm not in the Duggar generation, I'm much older.

Archived