DGayle

Jill and Jess and Derrick and Ben may as well be a couple of couples together in a relationship.

http://www.people.com/article/jill-dugg ... e-festival

Unlike other People articles, the author of this one isn't even trying to make it interesting. Dillward went to the event. They did this. They talked parenting advice. A few fans support them. A fan said she wouldn't like to be judged for her choices at 14. End article. It was written like a straight recount of events with a slight attempt at appearing sympathetic, but like the author just didn't care.

Also Jill said Izzy's sleeping through the night at 11 weeks. That is so unusual that I wonder if she's using Babywise.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jill and Jess and Derrick and Ben may as well be a couple of couples together in a relationship.

Unlike other People articles, the author of this one isn't even trying to make it interesting. Dillward went to the event. They did this. They talked parenting advice. A few fans support them. A fan said she wouldn't like to be judged for her choices at 14. End article. It was written like a straight recount of events with a slight attempt at appearing sympathetic, but like the author just didn't care.

Also Jill said Izzy's sleeping through the night at 11 weeks. That is so unusual that I wonder if she's using Babywise.

I really wish people would stop covering them totally. They need to fade into obscurity!

To me it is not that unusual to hear of a baby sleeping through the night at 11 weeks. My oldest slept through the night at 6-8 weeks and my youngest did not sleep through the night until 3 years old.. lol.. true story, I was exhausted. Each baby is different and you have to take into consideration what she might mean by 'sleeping through the night". If he lays down for the final time at midnight and wakes up at 6 am, you could technically say he slept through the night, but really he only slept 6 hours straight. Whether she is using Babywise or Babywhisperer, I'm sure she has some type of sleep routine she is doing with him if he is sleeping for long stretches at night.

I really wish people would stop covering them totally. They need to fade into obscurity!

First, People never even gets the facts right.

Second, the only hope for ANY of the 19 and their families is for the show to go away and for each person to have to rely on their own wisdom, skills and knowledge in order to survive. As long as others are willing to pay you lots of money and give you lots of attention for being born or for having lots of kids, those people are never going to be OK. Eventually, the money will dry up.

JD is at least building a resume. Perhaps, Josiah is headed in that direction too.

Joe is getting some sort of education. The rest are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the next thing to be handed to them.

Ben, Derick and Josh need to find jobs, with steady paychecks and HC benefits.

Is a babywise like a zipadeezip? I googled but only saw a book

It's the book you saw. It recommends scheduled feedings and cry it out techniques, even with very small babies.

Is a babywise like a zipadeezip? I googled but only saw a book

Babywise and Baby Whisperer, are basically parenting books. They both teach a similiar method to help the baby get into a sleep routine and it is nothing barbaric or harmful, they do not teach anything like blanket training. I think in Babywise, the routine is Eat-Play-Sleep.. it's really just a routine that parents can use to help their child get on a sleep schedule.

Babywise and Baby Whisperer, are basically parenting books. They both teach a similiar method to help the baby get into a sleep routine and it is nothing barbaric or harmful, they do not teach anything like blanket training. I think in Babywise, the routine is Eat-Play-Sleep.. it's really just a routine that parents can use to help their child get on a sleep schedule.

I can't address Baby Whisperer; I am not familiar with it.

As for Babywise - your comments are hogwash. Babywise is a book by Gary and AnnMarie Ezzo. Its instruction has been linked to infant dehydration and failure to thrive. The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued a warning against following the advice contained in Babywise.

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cont ... 1.abstract

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2011/03/08/ ... -own-risk/

http://www.salon.com/1998/08/06/cov_06feature/

Oh and for the record - The Ezzos are the authors of the instructional series Growing Kids God's Way and Reaching the Heart of Your Teen. In spite of all their talk/writing - they have no expertise in these areas. It is significant that they are now estranged from both of their adult daughters and the daughters' families, including their grandkids. While anecdotal, this information certainly is a red flag.

I can't let the post I quoted here slide, because the misinformation is significant.

It's the book you saw. It recommends scheduled feedings and cry it out techniques, even with very small babies.

I guess it depends on how you view your baby and your parenting: Seems like the babywise technique (and those similar to it) are based more upon what the parent wants rather than what the baby might need/want. Any system that advocates making your infant cry it out is not one I would follow.

It may be unusual for a baby to sleep through the night so early but not unheard of. My child slept through the night the the second night we were home and from then on with few exceptions. And I breast fed on demand and did not allow him to cry. ETA at our 6 week lamaz class reunion everyone looked like death warmed over except us.

It may be unusual for a baby to sleep through the night so early but not unheard of. My child slept through the night the the second night we were home and from then on with few exceptions. And I breast fed on demand and did not allow him to cry. ETA at our 6 week lamaz class reunion everyone looked like death warmed over except us.

My second child was like this as well.

I guess it depends on how you view your baby and your parenting: Seems like the babywise technique (and those similar to it) are based more upon what the parent wants rather than what the baby might need/want. Any system that advocates making your infant cry it out is not one I would follow.

My post was more evenhanded than I intended. Everything I know about Ezzo I read here and it's awful. But since I don't know much about it, I didn't want to shit all over it and not be able to back up those statements. Babywise is garbage and I don't approve of cry it out philosophies at all.

If her baby is sleeping through the night at 11 weeks chances are she is or has weaned him already. I would be she is looking to get her cycle back sooner then later and get pg again.

Cereal. Rice cereal. I'm willing to bet she cashed in on the breastfeeding by now or she's giving him a bottle from time to time and making sure he's so full he sleeps.

They're naturally a backwoods family, and Moochelle strikes me as a typical Southern country mama, if it cries and it's not wet or dirty--Feed It. I'd love to believe she's baby wearing, but she's not. She's using carriers because people gave them to her, thus all the awkward pictures of her not using them exactly right.

Ya'll gotta remember, they're not using midwifery because it's a modern technique, they're doing it to avoid evil modern medicine and keep it as down to earth/country as possible.

That family may have money, but they are classic redneck/hillbilly people. They didn't learn any baby raising techniques from a book or outside source, it's all from what mama told them to do or showed them on their siblings.

According to my mom I slept through the night (7pm to 7am) from the day they brought me home from the hospital. Why can't I sleep like that now?!? Or even close to it?!???!? :evil:

According to her grandfather, the Prince of Wales, Princess Charlotte was sleeping through the night very quickly.

Thus endeth anything I would have to say about baby sleeping habits. :shrug:

At 6 weeks my son slept through the night. Bed at 10 and up at 5. Bottle fed with a little breast. (He absolutely didn't like breastfeeding, no matter what we'd do.) We did co-sleep.

Daughter was breastfed exclusively. We co-slept and she ate on demand. She slept through the night after about 8 weeks.

However, both of my kids still sleep well. I don't really set bedtimes because DD9 goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes at 6:30 naturally. DS11 got to bed around 9 and wakes up at 7 naturally. It cuts into evening activities sometimes, but it works for them.

I can't address Baby Whisperer; I am not familiar with it.

As for Babywise - your comments are hogwash. Babywise is a book by Gary and AnnMarie Ezzo. Its instruction has been linked to infant dehydration and failure to thrive. The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued a warning against following the advice contained in Babywise.

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cont ... 1.abstract

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2011/03/08/ ... -own-risk/

http://www.salon.com/1998/08/06/cov_06feature/

Oh and for the record - The Ezzos are the authors of the instructional series Growing Kids God's Way and Reaching the Heart of Your Teen. In spite of all their talk/writing - they have no expertise in these areas. It is significant that they are now estranged from both of their adult daughters and the daughters' families, including their grandkids. While anecdotal, this information certainly is a red flag.

I can't let the post I quoted here slide, because the misinformation is significant.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll look into it more. I haven't read it but I know I was told it was based on a routine of Eat.Play.Sleep or it may be Baby Whisperer I heard about that uses that routine, which doesn't seem harmful, it sounds benigh but who really knows until you delve deeper into the philosophy behind it. Thanks for the links. I'll read up on it.

Both of my daughters slept through the night at six weeks and I didn't use any methods (crying it out, etc.) I just assumed that they like sleep as much as I do. ;)

Regarding Jill and parenting advice: Shouldn't the advice be flowing in the other direction?

What qualifies her?

Actually same thing with relationships. My relationship with Jon Snow lasted longer than both of theirs combined.

Edited to change WHY to WHAT.

Cereal. Rice cereal. I'm willing to bet she cashed in on the breastfeeding by now or she's giving him a bottle from time to time and making sure he's so full he sleeps.

They're naturally a backwoods family, and Moochelle strikes me as a typical Southern country mama, if it cries and it's not wet or dirty--Feed It. I'd love to believe she's baby wearing, but she's not. She's using carriers because people gave them to her, thus all the awkward pictures of her not using them exactly right.

Ya'll gotta remember, they're not using midwifery because it's a modern technique, they're doing it to avoid evil modern medicine and keep it as down to earth/country as possible.

That family may have money, but they are classic redneck/hillbilly people. They didn't learn any baby raising techniques from a book or outside source, it's all from what mama told them to do or showed them on their siblings.

We do try to avoid stereotypes on FJ. I prefer the term Appalachian-American myself.

Both of my daughters slept through the night at six weeks and I didn't use any methods (crying it out, etc.) I just assumed that they like sleep as much as I do. ;)

If it weren't 17 years ago that my son was an infant, I'd probably be feeling jealous right now of the parents whose babies slept through the night so soon :lol:

I can't even remember exactly when my son started sleeping through the night, but that was a lovely thing when it happened.

Now I'm the one who doesn't sleep through the night. :lol:

We do try to avoid stereotypes on FJ. I prefer the term Appalachian-American myself.

My mother used to call us "hill-Williams". :lol:

Regarding Jill and parenting advice: Shouldn't the advice be flowing in the other direction?

What qualifies her?

Actually same thing with relationships. My relationship with Jon Snow lasted longer than both of theirs combined.

Edited to change WHY to WHAT.

For the watch my ass.

I slept through the night straight from the hospital. My grandmother used to hold a mirror up to make sure I was still breathing. lol. Breastfed baby, just a guys sleeper. Still am. I was in my twenties before I started waking up without someone waking me or several alarms going off. I've slept through fire alarms.

On the other hand, my niece didn't sleep through the night until she was five. No joke. Even as a teenager she rarely slept past eight.

Archived