DGayle

That's so true, how does Gothard have any authority to give advice on relatioships, especially marriage. He could probably hold a successful seminar on the art of footsie and foot fetishes, but that's it!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's so true, how does Gothard have any authority to give advice on relatioships, especially marriage. He could probably hold a successful seminar on the art of footsie and foot fetishes, but that's it!

I believe the old saying is "those who CAN, do. Those who CAN'T, teach". Definitely applies to Got-hard.

Anyone who says that marriage is a joy all the time is lying through their teeth. Or has been married for less than a year. The best marriage advice I ever got was that even though you love someone, even in the best of marriages, over the course of a lifetime, there will be times you truly do not like the person you married and there will be times they truly do not like you. Those times will pass. And while you could walk away during the tough times and find love again, know that you will experience hard times with that person, too. Absent abuse or other personal deal breakers, running from msrriage when it gets difficult solves nothing. If you want to leave - and at some point, you likely will, don't decide to in the middle of when things are bad. Wait until the dust settles and things are calm again. If, even when things are going smoothly, you are still ready to leave, then you know. But until then, get mad, voice it, and grit your teeth and work with your chosen life partner to find some way to get through it.

Not terribly romantic, but, in my 16 years with my husband, it's served me well.

Not terribly romantic, but definitely accurate(at least in my 11 years). I wish more practical advice like that was given before marriage. I know it would have helped me to know that was a normal thing and I wasn't failing.

Then again, I doubt the Duggars would believe that. Since God chooses their special spouse just for them and all that.

I believe the old saying is "those who CAN, do. Those who CAN'T, teach". Definitely applies to Got-hard.

First of all, I don't know how anyone can teach something they know nothing about. Makes no sense to me.

Second, I really hate that saying. Teaching is hard! I've had to teach as part of graduate school. I hated it. Much easier to sit at my desk and do science than to teach it.

My 2 cents anyway. :)

First of all, I don't know how anyone can teach something they know nothing about. Makes no sense to me.

Second, I really hate that saying. Teaching is hard! I've had to teach as part of graduate school. I hated it. Much easier to sit at my desk and do science than to teach it.

My 2 cents anyway. :)

It was meant as snark toward got hard. I have utmost respect for teachers, he's an asshat that started a cult about a life he has never lived.

It was meant as snark toward got hard. I have utmost respect for teachers, he's an asshat that started a cult about a life he has never lived.

I understand. Sorry it didn't come across that way. I just don't understand the whole mentality of him as a leader and an expert on how to raise your family. Was trying to explain why.

Archived