IGNORED

Another Maxwell fast

urban explorer

I'm enjoying my first long weekend off after three months of intense work and a challenging course - my last before earning my designation, but it's a cold rainy May long weekend up here.

Made cauliflower cake and sausage-and-orzo yesterday, along with Moosewood's cornbread. Today started with Headship's home-made latte and yogurt cheese and za'atar toast (another foreign seasoning the Maxwells will never experience). I'll spend the morning puttering in the kitchen making Anna olson's chocolate-beetroot cake and French onion soup. Bought a case of Grower's pear hard cider and a bottle of white zin, chica autocorrect tried to make into sin. The afternoon will be spent with a good friend I haven't seen in a while who is not a sibling, and will include several cups of tea and too many nibbles.

I'm exhausted beyond measure so can only agree with y'all about Stevehovah's increasing God syndrome and my suspicion his poor family is beyond repair.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand it (I'm not being fecesious facesious fackit!facetious); I'm serious): Is there really any benefit to not eating anything when there is ample food - or is that as spitting in God's face for denying his bounty when so many have so little?

Wonderful idea!! But that would never happen!

They do talk about fasting from the computer. So......next time there's a gap between blog posts that's noticeable, I'll remember that and think they're fasting from blogging.

BTW, Steve, in case you're still checking here during your fast, here's some Scripture to meditate on. Judges 11. It came to me today when I was driving home from church.

I don't understand it (I'm not being fecesious facesious fackit!facetious); I'm serious): Is there really any benefit to not eating anything when there is ample food - or is that as spitting in God's face for denying his bounty when so many have so little?

Going without food can affect one's mind, causing some people to experience a sense of euphoria or transcendence. Some interpret that is as religiously based. Thus, fasting is supposed to help you connect to God better. That's why many different religions and spiritual traditions around the world practice fasting in some form of another.

But in Steve's case, it likely is really only about control.

I have a fundie-lite relative who frequently fasts. I have always been afraid to ask why she's fasting/what she hopes to accomplish by starving herself, when she, her husband, and their kids are ready so skinny.

I do know for a fact that the kids' grandmother sneaks them food.

The scary thing is that fasting and denying their bodies nutrients might make them snap for real. I can see Steve losing it, they're so isolated.

They got so much pushback on that free ebook, bad reviews that he has had to read and worry about being on Amazon. He can't control it or delete them, and their book tours are dying down.

I wonder if that's why Steve is making them fast. He can't control amazon reviews, but he can control his family and their food intake. He can also punish by withholding food.

Maybe it's time to stop the anti-fasts. Stevehovah's antics are becoming progressively less funny and more alarming.

Has the fast started yet? Cause I just ate some chocolate cake :)

I've got a pound of Easter candy left. I'll start with you.

Some people believe that there is a biblical expectation that we will fast occasionally. I believe Jesus talks about it in Matthew? I'm not exactly sure what the passage is. I would say there are some benefits to redirecting ones thoughts from food to prayer, if that's your thing.

I don't think it's a big deal for a healthy adult to choose to participate in a fast. The Maxwell adults aren't necessarily choosing that path though. There are also medical benefits to fasting.

I'm still waiting for my bib number to come up. It's going to be a long day. Can't wait for my post race burrito. Nor for the euphoria of stretching my body to its limit and the joy of completion.

Going without food can affect one's mind, causing some people to experience a sense of euphoria or transcendence. Some interpret that is as religiously based. Thus, fasting is supposed to help you connect to God better. That's why many different religions and spiritual traditions around the world practice fasting in some form of another.

But in Steve's case, it likely is really only about control.

Thank you for the explanation. I honestly did not understand why some religious folks followed the practice (although I really should have looked that up) - but in Steve's case, it seems less about connecting with Gd than about controlling his family.

While they fast and pray, I have bagel Monday at work tomorrow as well as a lunch date with a former coworker at our favorite Italian place.

I won't give their fasting a thought as I enjoy my food and experience my life.

I have a fundie-lite relative who frequently fasts. I have always been afraid to ask why she's fasting/what she hopes to accomplish by starving herself, when she, her husband, and their kids are ready so skinny.

I do know for a fact that the kids' grandmother sneaks them food.

Glad the grandmother sneaks them food.

I agree that an occasional fast of a day and a half isn't going to hurt anyone, but I hate the fact that the other people living in that house have no real say in the matter. If John or Mary really doesn't want to fast or find that it makes them woozy or gives them a headache they don't have the choice of stopping the fast. They all live in a prison and Steve is the prison guard. What they eat and when they eat is his decision to make and it will be his decision until he dies.

They do talk about fasting from the computer. So......next time there's a gap between blog posts that's noticeable, I'll remember that and think they're fasting from blogging.

BTW, Steve, in case you're still checking here during your fast, here's some Scripture to meditate on. Judges 11. It came to me today when I was driving home from church.

But which daughter would he sacrifice after the 2 months of Lamentations on the mountain?

:violin:

Good point. What's to be pondered is, this was his ONLY child. And she had FRIENDS that she wanted to mourn WITH.

And she, interestingly enough, was supportive of her father's vows to God. It's not known how old she was, or if he was in the process of choosing her husband as was the custom. But, HE LET GO. And Jephthah was from a difficult background. He had NO other support system; his father committed adultery and he was the result of it. His brothers hated him for that reason.

Bit of a rabbit trail; much as the Westboro Baptist Church can bring out all emotions, hearing Shirley say at the end of a documentary that nothing would change if all her kids DID leave, I can't help but admire her stance, and more HAVE left since. She's willing to go it alone if need be. (though it seems she's considerably shut up since her father's death) Is Steve? Poor Steve.......Well, we'll see if these words inspire him to share on that in any way. I doubt it, but as one of the 3 lovely FJ soldiers said, he can't unread it.

I agree that an occasional fast of a day and a half isn't going to hurt anyone, but I hate the fact that the other people living in that house have no real say in the matter. If John or Mary really doesn't want to fast or find that it makes them woozy or gives them a headache they don't have the choice of stopping the fast. They all live in a prison and Steve is the prison guard. What they eat and when they eat is his decision to make and it will be his decision until he dies.

I don't what will happen if the kids would refuse to fast!!

I don't what will happen if the kids would refuse to fast!!

I seriously doubt that would be an option. Stevehovah gives off Jim Jones or Charles Manson vibes (sans any of the charisma that Jones or Manson were possessed with).

I bought soooooo much candy this morning, and I ate it all. I did feel somewhat self conscious that the people at the store would think I was some kind of really greedy person for buying nothing but large amounts of candy and a bottle of Pepsi...but its for a cause :)

I think it's very telling that this is a relatively new thing of theirs rather than something they've always done. Just highlights the ever tightening control

I bought soooooo much candy this morning, and I ate it all. I did feel somewhat self conscious that the people at the store would think I was some kind of really greedy person for buying nothing but large amounts of candy and a bottle of Pepsi...but its for a cause :)

I am eating leftover Easter candy. Happy anti-fast!

I am eating leftover Easter candy. Happy anti-fast!

I've never consciously taken part in an anti-fast before. Due to various things happening today I haven't really eaten much, and coming home from my two-and-a-half-hour exam today (final one!) I bought a packet of 30 cocktail sausages (already gone), a box of 100 Tic Tacs (apple flavour), a giant bag of Doritos and a pot of dip. Actually, I didn't even realise today was the fast day until I came onto FJ!

To ILoveJellybeans, don't feel self-conscious about buying candy... it could've been for a party! And it was a party, technically... with only one guest :lol:

Happy anti-fast guys!

I wonder if that's why Steve is making them fast. He can't control amazon reviews, but he can control his family and their food intake. He can also punish by withholding food.

Maybe it's time to stop the anti-fasts. Stevehovah's antics are becoming progressively less funny and more alarming.

I couldn't believe that they were doing another fast already. Then I thought of the reactions to the e-book and it hit me that maybe that's what's behind it. He can't control the negative reactions, that's a control freak's worst nightmare and so he is trying to restore his own feelings of control by declaring a fast.

I have noticed that when something unpleasant occurs, the response is some sort of family activity aimed at coping with it. After Liz bailed out of the wedding to Joe, they escaped early to their "what some might call a vacation" in Colorado a week early in order to "heal". When their conferences and sales were declining, there was the family "brainstorming" session. Now this fast after the negative e-book reviews. It appears that Steve cannot cope at all when things don't go as expected and when they do, the reaction is extreme, ramped up, intense, over the top and it's got to involve the entire family.

I think it's very telling that this is a relatively new thing of theirs rather than something they've always done. Just highlights the ever tightening control

If things truly went off the rails in casa Maxwell, how would anyone know? If the fasts became alarmingly often, for instance, and the family was too afraid to challenge Steve, hopefully some in-laws would be able to intervene?

Yeesh, now I've scared myself. :shock:

Archived