IGNORED

Another Maxwell fast

urban explorer

On the other hand, scientists do say that you can increase longevity by drastically cutting calories. You should aim for being 10% underweight. A slower metabolism (as long as you don't go back to eating more) can prolong your life. Most modern diets try to increase your metabolism. Lifting weights, eating smaller more frequent meals are both ways to increase metabolism.

For those who subscribe to this, it's not just about cutting calories. It's about getting the maximum amount of nutrition from what you eat so that you can cut down calories.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except for its goofy stance on ordaining women the conservative Lutheran church is pretty level headed as churches go. Here's a piece on fasting from them.

http://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=490

I'm working on an iPhone and not able to really discuss right now, but hopefully I'll find a working laptop later.

I love honest questions, as I am FULL of them, too!!

Thanks for that link, Mamajunebug, it is very informative.

I guess I understand the different aspects of fasting, like self-discipline, self-denial, spirituality, community, reward, etc., but it's been hard to see it all as a whole. The article helped to pull it together a bit. The whole fasting theory is actually pretty interesting.

I checked; the last fast was almost 2 months ago. Stormie Omartian, and at least one other, recommends a fast once a week. (and yes, those fasts they mention, water is the only thing they're allowed, though some who have medical problems only consume water and veggies)

I think Steve is getting desperate; he knows he's under attack because of what a control freak people make him out to be. He may be crying out to God "I let John leave the country without me for 2 weeks; what more do You want?"

Stormie Omartian? There's a name from the past. I didn't know she was so crazy dedicated that she fasts once a week.

Doesn't that wreck the metabolism? I mean, it's different from Intermittent Fasting, I think, where even if you only eat during 4 hours out of 24, at least you're eating on a daily basis.

I think the Maxwells should fast from religion for 1 day. No bible time, no prayers, no hymns nada. Now that would be real sacrifice, not giving up their bland diet.

I do remember Sarah posting that Steve said if medical or something else prevents them from food fasting, they can fast something from there life.

Love the control Steve how thoughtful. So in addition to the anti fast of food I will be watching Xena Warrior Princess on the "the Beast", defiantly not Steve approved, :lol:

Since Steve hates sports, you might also want to watch a ballgame or some other sporting event.

It does screw with your metabolism-- in a bad way. Too little food (as well as too much exercise) slows your metabolism because your body tries to make up for those missed calories. This can be a good thing if you have very little to eat all the time, for example if you are living in a time of famine, however once you go back to eating previous levels you will then gain weight because your new, slower metabolism requires fewer calories.

This is one of the reasons why drastically restricting calories in kids is a bad idea. Long range plans for obese children should be moderate calorie intake paired with increased physical activity.

On the other hand, scientists do say that you can increase longevity by drastically cutting calories. You should aim for being 10% underweight. A slower metabolism (as long as you don't go back to eating more) can prolong your life. Most modern diets try to increase your metabolism. Lifting weights, eating smaller more frequent meals are both ways to increase metabolism.

I used to fast in my twenties, it was a popular way to control weight in the 70's. The longest fast I was on was 5 days and at the end I went over to a friends house and drank whiskey for the first time in my life. I got so drunk I had a blackout. Thankfully my one and only. It scared me so much I never again drank past the point of being a bit tipsy.

I agree with this. I was very strict with calories until I was nearly 40 and I gained weight like crazy just eating like a normal person. I have told my adult (20s) kids not to make the same mistake. Putting your body in starvation mode is only good if you plan on staying in that mode forever.

For my anti fast Sunday I am going to watch the Blackhawks decimate the Ducks, and drink Pink Lemonade Vodka with Minute Maid Pink Lemonade Light and eat all kinds of little goodies that will come out of my microwave and my oven.

Saturday night I'm going to cry watching Outlander (no spoilers here) and drink some Glenlivet in honor of the great way they are showing that particular chapter of book 1.

Well, I began the anti-fast early. Friday I went out with some colleagues for a few drinks. On the way home I got myself some lovely fish and chips. Today I had KFC and a chocolate brownie. Tomorrow I think there'll be a beef roast. I might even have a glass of rosé wine, especially for the Maxwells!

I am going to anti-fast by having a BBQ with friends. I may or may not eat a different dessert in honour of each Maxwell woman. Time will tell.

My camping trip was rescheduled due to threat of severe thunderstorms/possible super cells so I grilled barbecue chicken last night washed down with Pumpkin bog wine, tonight broiling a ribeye.

I splurged took the kids to Sonic yesterday (popcorn chicken and tots for them and an Oreo blast to share with my 5 year old) and Taco Bell for lunch today. They got chicken quesadillas. I got meatless bean burritos for me but i'm sure they were more delicious than the ones the Maxwells make. :lol: Although... we've all been super crabby so maybe the fast food was part of the problem. Dang it. lol

I think the food control will get worse and worse very soon... I wouldn't even be surprised if they fast once a week at some point.

I started my antifast last night with a 30cm roast beef and mozzarella subway, a cookie and two beers. Today I had toasts and a spinach omelette for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch and sushi, shrimps and a mojito at dinner and now i'm enjoying some chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream, yumm!!

I graduated today, so my anti-fast started today with a Starbucks on the way to the ceremony (hey, it was early!), then a really, really good lamb panini with feta and a green salad. And tiramisu! My parents actually decided to come to my graduation (I think so they can take credit/steal my thunder), but I'm not complaining about being taken out to my favorite Greek place!

It's a little hole in the wall with streetside tables as well as inside, good wine, and white tablecloths. You know, simple, but good.

And yesterday I bought some Lindt truffles at the Mall of America and Mrs. lawlife and I have eaten so many already. Count me as another glutton!

Make that 2 Glenlivets for Outlander tonight.

I graduated today, so my anti-fast started today with a Starbucks on the way to the ceremony (hey, it was early!), then a really, really good lamb panini with feta and a green salad. And tiramisu! My parents actually decided to come to my graduation (I think so they can take credit/steal my thunder), but I'm not complaining about being taken out to my favorite Greek place!

It's a little hole in the wall with streetside tables as well as inside, good wine, and white tablecloths. You know, simple, but good.

And yesterday I bought some Lindt truffles at the Mall of America and Mrs. lawlife and I have eaten so many already. Count me as another glutton!

Congratulations! :)

I'm in Colonial Williamsburg for the weekend, so I'm anti-fasting as well. Right now I'm having vanilla creams and sea salt caramels from the Wythe Candy Shop on Merchant's Square. :cracking-up: Tomorrow we're taking the ferry across the James River to The Virginia Diner, where they serve breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings, with all the crispy Smithfield bacon you might want to eat (I might want to eat quite a bit, myself :whistle: ).

I really do find these fasts concerning. I feel like we are going to watch Steve slowly starve his family to death.

Steve, please get help for your eating and control disorders before it's too late.

Congratulations! :text-woo:

I think the Maxwells should fast from religion for 1 day. No bible time, no prayers, no hymns nada. Now that would be real sacrifice, not giving up their bland diet.

Wonderful idea!! But that would never happen!

I really do find these fasts concerning. I feel like we are going to watch Steve slowly starve his family to death.

Agree!!

Steve, please get help for your eating and control disorders before it's too late.

But death would be a _good_ thing as far as Steve is concerned. In theory, death is a promotion for Christians. It's just that most of them are sane enough to a. Admit that theory is all very well but it's still a damn scary step for many ppl, & b., have some idea of the consequences for the ppl they leave behind.

Steve doesn't fall into the sane majority. I see him taking out the whole mini-cult if he can ever rationalise his way past that pesky commandment. Until then,he's got to content himself with simply swinging the odds in God's favour a bit,as it were.

But death would be a _good_ thing as far as Steve is concerned. In theory, death is a promotion for Christians. It's just that most of them are sane enough to a. Admit that theory is all very well but it's still a damn scary step for many ppl, & b., have some idea of the consequences for the ppl they leave behind.

Steve doesn't fall into the sane majority. I see him taking out the whole mini-cult if he can ever rationalise his way past that pesky commandment. Until then,he's got to content himself with simply swinging the odds in God's favour a bit,as it were.

The scary thing is that fasting and denying their bodies nutrients might make them snap for real. I can see Steve losing it, they're so isolated.

They got so much pushback on that free ebook, bad reviews that he has had to read and worry about being on Amazon. He can't control it or delete them, and their book tours are dying down. What do they have to keep them in touch with non-family members now?

Are they still doing church at the nursing home? I worry that doing a fast while expending energy "serving" will cause feelings of tiredness, crankiness, faintness and even nausea. And we know that the Maxwells are not prepared to deal with unexpected and scary feelings, except with praise and joyfulness for Jesus.

The scary thing is that fasting and denying their bodies nutrients might make them snap for real. I can see Steve losing it, they're so isolated.

They got so much pushback on that free ebook, bad reviews that he has had to read and worry about being on Amazon. He can't control it or delete them, and their book tours are dying down. What do they have to keep them in touch with non-family members now?

Other than the things mentioned above, what is their money source?

Is there unlimited family money involved?

Maybe he's slowly getting them use to have less food to eat?

Archived